Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts release OT Gosder Cherlius

MTC

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That wouldn't seem to align with where they took most of their reps in OTA's, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Still, I see Herremans at guard and Meehort at RT. Now let's go get Mathis to fix that little LG blip.

I have no idea what staff will do(Stating the obvious), Im just thinking out loud

It worries me moving Mewhort to RT when he was solid at LG....

Who fills in at LG? Lance Louis? Joe Reitz? Hugh Thornton?

Castonzo-?????-Holmes-Herremans-Mewhort

I would hope Donald Thomas. He's the more talented guard out of the bunch.

@ColtsAuth_Kyle: No savings this year. Had a cap hit of $6.9M, dead money of $8.7M. So costs $1.8M more. https://t.co/JyKPm0RoiZ

I thought after June 1st , you only take the cap hit for the 2015 year portion of the guaranteed money. If cut before June first , IMO , the above with be true. I'm thinking his cap hit is 6.9 minus the 2.9 would save 4 mill

Kyle's wrong. See dw49's post above. Saves $4m this year, $4.1m next year. Smart move, I would have done it in March.

Thanks for the clarification. The other didn't sound right to me because of how Grigson has worked at signing team friendly contracts.

No doubt that this leaves a huge hole at Guard. I can't imagine the Colts believing enough in Donald Thomas or Hugh Thornton to step up be their guy. To me, these are depth players who should both be backups.

I have a feeling Evan Mathis coming to Indianapolis might be a reality soon. I can only hope. Mathis at Guard and Mewhort at Tackle would make our offensive line that much better.

Guys don't forget, the team gave good money to Joe Reitz earlier this off season. He will likely start at one of the G spots if we make no other moves.

I'm OK with Reitz or DT at LG. Reitz has been sitting behind players he's better than for years. Plus, Reitz and Castonzo work very well together.

My ideal line would be:

AC-Reitz-DT-Herremans-Mewhort

Our Centers are so bad I want to see DT converted.

I'm OK with Reitz or DT at LG. Reitz has been sitting behind players he's better than for years. Plus, Reitz and Castonzo work very well together.

My ideal line would be:

AC-Reitz-DT-Herremans-Mewhort

Our Centers are so bad I want to see DT converted.

Do you honestly feel comfortable with Joe Reitz at Guard? I like him as a backup, not a starter.

Thanks for the clarification. The other didn't sound right to me because of how Grigson has worked at signing team friendly contracts.

This is the least team friendly of all of Grigson's contracts so far. But still, the way it works is that only a portion of the dead money counts on this year's cap, the rest goes to next year's cap. So there's still $5.8m of dead money in 2016.

Kyle's wrong. See dw49's post above. Saves $4m this year, $4.1m next year. Smart move, I would have done it in March.

I think this one might be more on the Colt physicians than Grigson. He had chronic knee "issues "before we signed him. You would think Grigson would have asked for "clearance ?"

Admit defeat? :scratch::facepalm:

Not sure why you face palmed. Yes, admit defeat

The 2013 FA class was awful

Landry & Cherilus headline it. Grigson admits defeat by getting rid of them

Thought they'd work here and paid them handsomely to do so but neither worked out

Yes, I do. He's always filled in very well at LG. He's very underrated.

I only view Reitz as a backup, utility player here. I think the Colts would have rolled the dice on Gosder to keep Mewhort at guard if they were  planning on sticking with Reitz as the starter. I really wouldn't be surprised if they cut Donald Thomas, and sign Evan Mathis on a 1-2 year deal. Just my two cents.

It was either kravitz or Chappell that was on 1070 last week that said the Colts had no interest in Mathis based on what they felt was a good source. Take that for what it's worth.

That interest could change over night. The release of Cherilus changes a lot of things.

I think this one might be more on the Colt physicians than Grigson. He had chronic knee "issues "before we signed him. You would think Grigson would have asked for "clearance ?"

Both of them, IMO. It's proven to be a bad idea to give league high money to a player with a degenerative joint issue. So I think the medical staff takes some heat, but Grigson is the one who made him the highest paid RT in the game, ever. I'm sure both sides of this one have adjusted their evaluation processes.

I only view Reitz as a backup, utility player here. I think the Colts would have rolled the dice on Gosder to keep Mewhort at guard if they were  planning on sticking with Reitz as the starter. I really wouldn't be surprised if they cut Donald Thomas, and sign Evan Mathis on a 1-2 year deal. Just my two cents.

This makes no sense. Where would Reitz be starting if they kept Gosder to start at RT and Mewhort at LG?

And Reitz may be solely a utility guy on a better offensive line, but as it stands he's better than pretty much any other option we have for LG, outside of DT. Both of them have the same issue, however. Injuries.

Both of them, IMO. It's proven to be a bad idea to give league high money to a player with a degenerative joint issue. So I think the medical staff takes some heat, but Grigson is the one who made him the highest paid RT in the game, ever. I'm sure both sides of this one have adjusted their evaluation processes.

This is true. 

Making sure everyone is clear on this: There is actually a negative salary cap hit on Cherilus this year. Lotta savings in the long term tho

— Stephen Holder (@HolderStephen)

July 26, 2015

So with the post - June 1 cut, Gos will cost them $2.9M this year and $5.8M next year. Instead of $6.9M this year and $9.9 M in '16.

— Kyle J. Rodriguez (@ColtsAuth_Kyle)

July 26, 2015

Do you honestly feel comfortable with Joe Reitz at Guard? I like him as a backup, not a starter.

I think the contract extension they gave him is an indication that they trust him as a starter, or 6th/spell lineman at very least. I expect two of Herremans, Thorton and Reitz to be our starters the last to be our "6th" lineman and Louis and Heenan brought along for depth. Donald Thomas is a wildcard at this point, may end up a starter, or could be cut tomorrow.

I would feel comfortable with Reitz as a starting guard. I expect C is Khaled Holmes' job to lose, but next time he's in the trainers room somebody will pass him by.

That interest could change over night. The release of Cherilus changes a lot of things.

it could very well but I think the Colts have known this could happen for a while which is why they have been shifting guys around on the line. Would I be blown away to see the Colts sign Mathis? No. However, it apoears at least as of last week they had no interest in him. I am sure last week they knew releasing gosder could happen. So while their level of interest could change I don't think it will.

I also think it's telling Mathis was released a while ago and he's still on the market. Clearly the Colts aren't the only team not tripping over themselves to sign him. I would suggest that means teams don't think he was the player he was and is probably not going to perform to the level of the contract he will demand.

Making sure everyone is clear on this: There is actually a negative salary cap hit on Cherilus this year. Lotta savings in the long term tho

— Stephen Holder (@HolderStephen)

July 26, 2015

So with the post - June 1 cut, Gos will cost them $2.9M this year and $5.8M next year. Instead of $6.9M this year and $9.9 M in '16.

— Kyle J. Rodriguez (@ColtsAuth_Kyle)

July 26, 2015

So we don't gain anything this year or next year.

On a slightly unrelated note, I still expect Jonotthan Harrison to begin training camp as the starting center. The potential is still there even though he had a poor season.

coaches clearly like him. Fans might not but I think the coaches feel he's the answer at center. So I wouldn't be shocked to see him get the nod there.