Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Early Report On J. Manziel

dw49

For Manziel and his fans , let's hope it really isn't "by all accounts" as this source claims.....

ESPN Cleveland's Tony Grossi expects Josh McCown to be "unchallenged" as the Browns' starting quarterback.

With the Browns "aiming to control the ball on the ground" and not turn it over, Grossi believes the soon-to-be 36-year-old veteran is out well ahead of Johnny Manziel in what is unlikely to even be a competition. By all accounts, Manziel has been horrid the opening week of OTAs, not knowing where to go with the football and leaving the pocket too much, leading Grossi to think the Browns are "moving on" from Johnny Football. We're still three-plus months away from real games, but McCown seems to be comfortably out in front of Manziel.

Wow.  You tear down Bjorn Warner and criticize him for being a "project," but you defend Manziel?  At least Bjorn seems to take his job seriously.

I didn't view what Colts449 said as an endorsement of Johnny Manziel just that when a 2014 draft pick is selected at 22 he's gonna get another shot at the franchise reins in Cleveland & he's exactly right Johnny is just on being a 1st round pick last year. It's a question of economics & where GM Farmer took him at which has no bearing on athletic talent. 

You have to give him another shot eventually just to save face. Not to mention it would be horrible PR to shun him after going thru alcohol rehab. Johnny probably won't start this year I accept that, but whether the guy sucks or not is irrelevant based on where he was taken in the 2014 draft. 

I didn't view what Colts449 said as an endorsement of Johnny Manziel just that when a 2014 draft pick is selected at 22 he's gonna get another shot at the franchise reins in Cleveland & he's exactly right Johnny is just on being a 1st round pick last year. It's a question of economics & where GM Farmer took him at which has no bearing on athletic talent. 

You have to give him another shot eventually just to save face. Not to mention it would be horrible PR to shun him after going thru alcohol rehab. Johnny probably won't start this year I accept that, but whether the guy sucks or not is irrelevant based on where he was taken in the 2014 draft. 

That would be true, except that Farmer and Pettine did not draft Manziel.  This is Farmer's first year as GM in Cleveland (I think he was assistant GM last year) and Pettine's first year as head coach (I think he was D-Line coach for Buffalo last year).  They have minimal connections to the decision to draft Manziel, so they have no reason to force him on to the field.

He is terrible

I agree with you 100% Jvan. Johnny doesn't exactly impress me either, but when Joe Thomas says that Manziel is in the building studying film early everyday & leaving late that's a vast improvement & a testament to Johnny's revised approach to professionalism now, which he never did his rookie year. 

Johnny deserves some credit for changing his ways dramatically though. When Joe Thomas notices this positive transformation, that means something. 

I'm not holding my breath here expecting a grand reversal of fortune either, but Johnny seems to realize the necessity of film study now as opposed to partying & drinking which is a plus in his favor. 

That would be true, except that Farmer and Pettine did not draft Manziel.  This is Farmer's first year as GM in Cleveland (I think he was assistant GM last year) and Pettine's first year as head coach (I think he was D-Line coach for Buffalo last year).  They have minimal connections to the decision to draft Manziel, so they have no reason to force him on to the field.

All salient points except for 1 thing: The Browns owner Jimmy Haslam signed off on making the Manziel move & no owner wants to throw money down the drain & cut their QB losses after only 1 year with a guy. 

QB Brady Quinn taken at 22 in the 2007 draft by Cleveland was no prize either & he received ample opportunities in a Browns uniform too BTW. I'm not guaranteeing franchise success here just multiple shots to secure the starting job that's all. 

I laugh every time I think how the Browns could have drafted Bridgewater or Carr haha

I can forgive the Browns passing on Bridgewater given that he had a horrible pro day the worst I have ever seen in my life actually for a top QB prospect, but you're exactly right CF12, passing up Carr in hindsight looks really stupid now.

That kid is gonna be the answer to Oakland's mediocre woes for the next 12-15 years. Derek is legit man. A superb point CF12. 

Before anyone claims I'm being too tough on Bridgewater, remember everything at your proday is scripted & there's no reason to look pathetic. I like Teddy & he is perfect for Norv Turner's offense & Zimmer's hard nosed defense. 

I can forgive the Browns passing on Bridgewater given that he had a horrible pro day the worst I have ever seen in my life actually for a top QB prospect, but you're exactly right CF12, passing up Carr in hindsight looks really stupid now.

That kid is gonna be the answer to Oakland's mediocre woes for the next 12-15 years. Derek is legit man. A superb point CF12.

Before anyone claims I'm being too tough on Bridgewater, remember everything at your proday is scripted & there's no reason to look pathetic. I like Teddy & he is perfect for Norv Turner's offense & Zimmer's hard nosed defense.

I didn't buy into or brlieve the pro day stuff with Bridgewater I thought he was the best QB in the draft and very likely should have went #1 overall. And Carr was prolly the second best QB and should have went before Johnny rehab and Bortles

So as of now, the Colts still won the T-Rich trade.

as pathetic as it's been.

I guess you could look at it that way, but had we not made the trade we would've taken someone other than Manziel obviously. We would be 1 piece closer than we are now.

That would be true, except that Farmer and Pettine did not draft Manziel. This is Farmer's first year as GM in Cleveland (I think he was assistant GM last year) and Pettine's first year as head coach (I think he was D-Line coach for Buffalo last year). They have minimal connections to the decision to draft Manziel, so they have no reason to force him on to the field.

Pettine for sure drafted Johnny and was head coach this past season. I think Farmer was too but not sure.

If that report is true then you have to wonder about Manziel's convictions. After all his posturing about it being a mistake not being ready to play and not doing what it takes to succeed, he shows up at OTA's and doesn't know where to go with the football? Really? This tells me one of two things. Either he doesn't care to be pprofessional, or he can't retain and recall information. Both are very bad in an NFL QB

I guess you could look at it that way, but had we not made the trade we would've taken someone other than Manziel obviously. We would be 1 piece closer than we are now.

true I always wonder where our o line and D would be if we knew how to draft could possibly have 3 pretty good young players with the past 3 first rounders

true I always wonder where our o line and D would be if we knew how to draft could possibly have 3 pretty good young players with the past 3 first rounders

Yeah. 2013 was the really bad one, with Werner, Thornton, and Holmes as our first 3 picks. I say yuck, but some will argue that for whatever reason. But we did have a good draft last year considering not having a 1st. and this looks to be an excellent draft this year. Although we could've spent the 1st on Goldman or somebody. But yeah, with just a little better decision making (T-rich) and drafting (2013) we could be absolutely loaded right now.

Yeah. 2013 was the really bad one, with Werner, Thornton, and Holmes as our first 3 picks. I say yuck, but some will argue that for whatever reason. But we did have a good draft last year considering not having a 1st. and this looks to be an excellent draft this year. Although we could've spent the 1st on Goldman or somebody. But yeah, with just a little better decision making (T-rich) and drafting (2013) we could be absolutely loaded right now.

I agree the draft was good last year just using a 1st on a rb wasn't smart I was alright with getting Trent but shouldn't have been for a 1 and yes 2013 was bad and also highly agree with the this years 1st

Some more Manziel....

ESPN Cleveland's Tony Grossi describes Johnny Manziel as a "fish out of water" in the Browns' new offense.

The job of Cleveland's quarterback under new OC John DeFilippo is to manage games and "play within the structure of a conservative game plan." Manziel's strength -- at Texas A&M, at least -- was improvisation. Manziel has reportedly struggled in OTAs practices, and Grossi writes that Johnny Football's "skills don’t coincide with what the Browns are asking of their quarterback." It's looking less and less likely that Manziel will give Josh McCown a serious Week 1 run.

All salient points except for 1 thing: The Browns owner Jimmy Haslam signed off on making the Manziel move & no owner wants to throw money down the drain & cut their QB losses after only 1 year with a guy.

QB Brady Quinn taken at 22 in the 2007 draft by Cleveland was no prize either & he received ample opportunities in a Browns uniform too BTW. I'm not guaranteeing franchise success here just multiple shots to secure the starting job that's all.

I don't know. They have set a precedent with TRich.

I agree with you 100% Jvan. Johnny doesn't exactly impress me either, but when Joe Thomas says that Manziel is in the building studying film early everyday & leaving late that's a vast improvement & a testament to Johnny's revised approach to professionalism now, which he never did his rookie year. 

Johnny deserves some credit for changing his ways dramatically though. When Joe Thomas notices this positive transformation, that means something. 

I'm not holding my breath here expecting a grand reversal of fortune either, but Johnny seems to realize the necessity of film study now as opposed to partying & drinking which is a plus in his favor. 

I certainly am no Manziel fan, and I was pretty offended that people even thought he was in Bridgewaters zipcode.  However I'm looking at this report a little funny.  My gut says sooner or later there's going to be another report that comes out saying some opposite things. It's strange to me that Manziel has been basically living at the facility watching hours upon hours of film, no partying and all that but yet according to the report "he doesn't know where to go with the football"? 

I can see the leaving the pocket early thing, which is a staple of Johnny Manziel.  With these run heavy offenses the reads are usually not that hard.  Some of the report sounds true, but not all of it in my eyes.  We'll see

I think neither side really won that trade. We got screwed by T Rich and they got screwed by Manziel.

I agree, the only differences between them being terrible is Trent is no longer on the Colts, however, the Browns gave up a 3rd with our 1st to move up and get Manziel. So they could of slightly lost the deal more. Manziel could possibly turn it around though as he's still on the Browns.

I certainly am no Manziel fan, and I was pretty offended that people even thought he was in Bridgewaters zipcode.  However I'm looking at this report a little funny.  My gut says sooner or later there's going to be another report that comes out saying some opposite things. It's strange to me that Manziel has been basically living at the facility watching hours upon hours of film, no partying and all that but yet according to the report "he doesn't know where to go with the football"? 

I can see the leaving the pocket early thing, which is a staple of Johnny Manziel.  With these run heavy offenses the reads are usually not that hard.  Some of the report sounds true, but not all of it in my eyes.  We'll see

The X factor here is Joe Thomas. I was getting my 2nd Master's degree at UW-Madison while Joe was still there playing Badger football at Camp Randall & that guy doesn't lie. He's a straight arrow, no nonsense guy who sugarcoats nothing. Be careful what you ask him because he will tell you exactly what he thinks 24/7. If Joe is impressed by Johnny's professional now, you can take that to the bank. 

Whether that translates into a better QB or not is a whole different matter. If you backed me into a corner, I'd say Johnny isn't starting this year. But, part of me wants to see if Johnny can throw better from the pocket as opposed to scrabbling all the time. America loves to see high profile people fall, but we love rise from ashes redemption stories too. 

O come on people!!!!!!!!! It doesn't matter what anybody says. If you're the 2nd or 3rd quarterback on a bad team, you're going to start atleast a few games. Until they cut him, plan on seeing him play.

Bingo! Eventually, Johnny will see game action this year once the Browns have been eliminated from Playoff contention. Their defense is solid yes, but no QB= No serious threat.