Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Extremely Poor Judgement

Deano1818

I am absolutely amazed how poorly we have handled the backup quarterback position.

We SHOULD have been developing a QB of the future for a few years.

Its clear that Painter is as bad as he was when he was mopping up end of season games and in the many preseason games that he played in

What team in the NFL doesnt have a viable backup QB for a 35 year old starter????

Oh....the team that lost its first 13 games.......

Love my Colts....... But this is/ was a HUGE mistake

I am absolutely amazed how poorly we have handled the backup quarterback position.

Its clear that Painter is as bad as he was when he was mopping up end of season games and in the many preseason games that he played in

What team in the NFL doesnt have a viable backup QB for a 35 year old starter????

Love my Colts....... But this is a HUGE mistake

I have a feeling that we will have a viable QB when Peyton turns 35. :lol:

Love my Colts....... But this is a HUGE mistake

Come on Deano..That's a total second guess.

he'd never missed a game..and we signed him to a 5-year contratct

You cant ask a player to sit and wait 5 years.......

Bears didnt have a viable backup......Houston didnt have one.......Oakland didnt....

There's only 14 or 15 quality QBs in the entire NFL..

How can you have 2...

The year blew up but next year...we'll have the back up and probably wont need him

Painter Did get a chance to show how well he could play........

Manning wasnt on the field for those year end games, and Painter did show his stuff in the preseason, for several years

(it wasnt pretty)

This coaching staff had such a low opinion, that they brought in an old aging QB.......

So...... They knew

We should have had someone with some raw talent in the wings.

Well nobody could take the roll of Peyton Manning, and we just could not win a game if the coaches couldn't make proper adjustments to our play calls. No matter who plays as a backup it would only be a difference of 2 wins or 5 wins. They finally need to figure out how to play without him and his system if they want to win by other QBs.

Painter Did get a chance to show how well he could play........

Manning wasnt on the field for those year end games, and Painter did show his stuff in the preseason, for several years

(it wasnt pretty)

This coaching staff had such a low opinion, that they brought in an old aging QB.......

So...... They knew

We should have had someone with some raw talent in the wings.

Too much of our our offense is inside Manning's head..It didnt matter who the backup is..

We woud not have made the playoffs..

Painter was a dreadful draft pick, but we all know the Polians have been faltering badly for a while. Hopefully this year's draft class means we have turned the corner. If the FO mess up in April, that will surely end the reign of the Polian Cartel. You'd think.

Painter, as a pick, wasn't a reach. He actually scouted quite well from what I've heard.

I guess I wish we had a more established backup, but the way the team was built, I think everyone in the front office knew if Peyton went down, the team had no chance to do anything more than fight for 5-11/6-10. Can't really blame them for coming to the conclusion that such a meager goal wasn't worth committing any significant money/practice time. We're up against the cap every year because of the star players, why hamstring ourselves further for slightly better mediocrity

Painter was a dreadful draft pick, but we all know the Polians have been faltering badly for a while. Hopefully this year's draft class means we have turned the corner. If the FO mess up in April, that will surely end the reign of the Polian Cartel. You'd think.

Yeh you would think. however, a story is put up on the web site " Caldwell gains experience in 2011". are the Colts going to write off a couple of years so these hand picked coaching professionals can get up to speed?

Deano, I appreciate that you love your Colts, but I have to wonder how long that's been going on, or if you're a troll.

Nobody grooms a replacement for the future for 7 years. You may groom a replacement for trade bait during that period, but you don't groom a replacement for Manning until there's 3-4 years left on his last contract.

You make Painter sound like a grizzly veteran. This is, what, his third year, and before this year he only in two regular season halves?

Yep, they certainly knew he wasn't a viable back up, but no one ever expected he'd actually have to play, including any of us.

Lastly, did this all just dawn on you toady? This basic topic was addressed periodically months ago. We understand the frustration! We've moved on to if the team is/has tanked the season for a better draft pick and what should be done with that draft pick.

Oh, and, welcome to the forum.

Ok, so Painter was drafted where he was.......

Why couldnt someone evaluate how badly he was playing, then MOVE ON.......

If the guy isnt an NFL player...... Why is he on a roster?

He has proven that he cant play in previous years........

I would rather be grooming a potential QB, then holding on to a player that should be in an accountant....

Heck, since the expectations are so low for a back up QB on the Colts...... Why not hire me?

Im old.... But i could lose games too.

And...... For those of you that said we would only have won 4 or 5 wins...... Thats the idea.

A backup QB, keeps you competitive, while your starter may be out a game or two.

We have had a backup QB in painter that was a loss for sure........

Watch.....he will be cut after the season, and hewont sniff an NFL field again....

Sorry for the rant, but this coaching staff was asleep at the wheel when thinking about backup QBs.

Instead of putting everything in a rookies hands, we should be drafting a stud WR or DT or trading to get several picks

Now........ Are hand is forced

A troll?

I have been a fan for longer than many posters have probably been alive.

I rooted for John Unitas in his last few years, ticked that he went to SD.....

I am halfway through all the NFL stadiums seeing the Colts play (bucket list)

I guess i am seeing some major chinks in our approach to football.

After so many years of horrible seasons in the past, i would hate to see them go back there.

Sorry for the rant........but our previously strong management and coachs are faltering

I still think we should have picked Ryan Mallett in last year's draft.

I thought Mallet had some quality attributes, speaking of the off the field drug issues haha. But he would have been a solid develomental project, and the Colts could have gotten him in the fifth round before the Patriots if I am not mistaken... which is why the Colts do not have to take Luck if they in fact do get the #1 overall pick this upcoming draft. Trade down, take a prospect like Case Keenum in the 6th or 7th round!

A troll?

I have been a fan for longer than many posters have probably been alive.

I rooted for John Unitas in his last few years, ticked that he went to SD.....

I am halfway through all the NFL stadiums seeing the Colts play (bucket list)

I guess i am seeing some major chinks in our approach to football.

After so many years of horrible seasons in the past, i would hate to see them go back there.

Sorry for the rant........but our previously strong management and coachs are faltering

So you would also trade the #1 overall pick for the bounty of players? Or are you on the Luck or nothing juice? haha and welcome by the way.

I have a feeling that we will have a viable QB when Peyton turns 35. :lol:

Since the topic of this thread is "....backup quarterback position", and mods love to stay on topic, I asssume you're saying Peyton will be a good backup? I don't think he'll be happy being #2.

Since the topic of this thread is "....backup quarterback position", and mods love to stay on topic, I asssume you're saying Peyton will be a good backup? I don't think he'll be happy being #2.

Well I was posting to a previous post and maybe I worded it wrong but it had something to do with Peyton being old. I certainly didn't mean that Peyton would be a back up QB at all. My bad for not explaining myself better. haha

What I was trying to say that Peyton isn't a 35 year old starter. If I'm not wrong Peyton isn't 35 yet. Just check the thread I was replying to maybe that will help to see why I posted what I did.

Peyton will be 36 in March.

I am in the camp that if Luck is available, you have to take him.

I also like RGIII, if we go at 2.

But....... We shouldnt be in this position.

My frustration is that what we saw with Painter what was seen the last 3 years.

In preseason and in mop ups......

The guy should have been evaluated in practice and let go if he cant perform.

Other teams have a viable back up solution..... We chose to have no forethought at all