Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why did we sign Bryan Bennett?

Superman

The answer to this is sooo simple. Really cant believe you had to ask Supe! By having an awful QB that cant hit the broadside of a barn in camp it will make the WR`s so much better. They'll be able to make Odell Beckem type catches by the end of training camp, thus Andrew Luck will wind up with a 99% completion rate in 2015. Grigs is a genius!  

I admit I only watched one game, but arm strength is usually a constant. And in that one game, his arm didn't look strong. He had no zip on his passes, DBs were breaking on all of his throws, he floated several of them, etc. He can throw far, but I didn't see velocity. If I'm missing it on arm strength, fine, but show me where.

I don't see how I can be off on the mechanics, though, and that's the much bigger issue. He reminds me of Matt Saracen from Friday Night Lights.

Gil Brandt said QB's at Cowboys rookie camp were awful.

Point being, he could get work at DB also. Does it really matter who's playing QB at the end of those preseason games anyway?

And Bennett may surprise us. He's not as bad as the OP stated.

QB isn't exactly a part time position. He couldn't do both at the same time.

Terrible stats against bad competition: http://stats.washingtonpost.com/cfb/players.asp?id=193473

Bad tape: http://draftbreakdown.com/video/bryan-bennett-vs-tulane-2014/

He doesn't have a strong arm. His delivery is unconscionable. He doesn't throw with good touch. He has bad timing with his receivers. His footwork is terrible. He skipped more passes than he completed. He does seem like a tough player, and has some decent movement, but that's about it. If there's anyone that we should have signed off of the clips above, it's WR #9. 

Our third QB is probably irrelevant, so this is not consequential. But I think there were easily better UDFA QBs available. Even if they all turned us down, I don't see the draw for this guy. He seems really bad. Maybe he has some great tape that I haven't seen (after that train wreck above, I'm not watching anymore of his tape). Maybe his workouts were spectacular. But even just for a camp arm, I can't understand what evaluation process comes up with him being given a contract. 

Yikes.

He couldn't possibly be worse than Curtis Painter, could he?  Eventhough he probably wont see the field EVER, you cant say never because emergencies happen.  I'm just happy we have a solid backup in Hasselbeck for another year at least.

He couldn't possibly be worse than Curtis Painter, could he?  Eventhough he probably wont see the field EVER, you cant say never because emergencies happen.  I'm just happy we have a solid backup in Hasselbeck for another year at least.

IMHO, Painter was better.

I'll lay off. My only point was that I think his tape is pretty bad, and don't see why he's on the roster as a QB. Scout team makes sense, camp arm makes sense, I just thought he'd look better.

I've thought about this in the past and here is my conclusion.

When we hold Rookie mini camps you need an actual rookie qb out there throwing the ball.

I think we sign certain guys to help our rookies that we are interested in keeping practice.  

I've thought about this in the past and here is my conclusion.

When we hold Rookie mini camps you need an actual rookie qb out there throwing the ball.

I think we sign certain guys to help our rookies that we are interested in keeping practice.  

Yeah, we needed someone to throw the ball. By that standard, it doesn't really matter who it is.

But I expected us to grab a developmental prospect who would stick on the practice squad this year, and maybe have a shot at the #2 spot next year. I don't think Bennett is good enough for that role. JMO. It doesn't really matter, all things considered. 

Yeah, we needed someone to throw the ball. By that standard, it doesn't really matter who it is.

But I expected us to grab a developmental prospect who would stick on the practice squad this year, and maybe have a shot at the #2 spot next year. I don't think Bennett is good enough for that role. JMO. It doesn't really matter, all things considered. 

Who was out there that you think fits that bill?  Because if they fit that bill they where either drafted or another team wanted to pick them up.

If your developmental prospect has much of a ceiling at all another team would just sign him off your PS.

QB isn't exactly a part time position. He couldn't do both at the same time.

QB is a part time position.  You only play it when the offense is on the field.  By definition, you can't play offense and defense for the same team at the same time.

Now, if we're done with being Mr. Obvious, we can move on.

Who was out there that you think fits that bill?  Because if they fit that bill they where either drafted or another team wanted to pick them up.

If your developmental prospect has much of a ceiling at all another team would just sign him off your PS.

My guy was Connor Halliday. He signed with Washington. Maybe he didn't want to come to Indy. Same for other guys. And there are some other guys, non-rookies, that could have been added. I'd rather have had Terrelle Pryor, 100%. 

My guy was Connor Halliday. He signed with Washington. Maybe he didn't want to come to Indy. Same for other guys. And there are some other guys, non-rookies, that could have been added. I'd rather have had Terrelle Pryor, 100%. 

If the worst part of 2015 is signing this stiff as a FA , I going to be happy. But I hear you , seems like with a little more effort , they could have found maybe a better prospect. I think next year will be the year we use a draft pick as Hassleback will probably be gone ? So the only issue here is if Luck or T. H has an injury. Other wise it's just a spot on the practice squad. Excuse me if I went over old stuff as I admittedly did not read the whole thread.

LOL

So I decided to give the guy another chance and watch whatever else Draftbreakdown.com has on him. Someone in this thread suggested that I watch something from 2013, so I go to the game against Sam Houston State. This is the very first play of the tape:

http://zippy.gfycat.com/PartialNimbleApe.webm

I'm gonna finish watching whatever I can, but I thought that was hilarious.

Oooh, good work here. There was none of this on the first game I watched. Good footwork, good balance, eyes downfield, smooth weight transfer to the front leg, maintains good balance, compact delivery (a little unconventional, but nothing bad), nice zip on the ball, splits two defenders, finishes with throwing arm to opposite hip... His shoulders roll over a little too much toward the end of the throw, but it's a nice, deliberate follow through.

http://zippy.gfycat.com/UnsungUnluckyHellbender.webm

Also, the kid can run, and he's tough. That was obvious right away, and I think I already mentioned it. Maybe we just brought him in to run read option in practice, or maybe even to help Luck (?) run some. I haven't seen him throw after read option yet, and most of his throws on the move have been pretty bad.

Oh, and I said he has no arm strength. That's not true. He can get the ball down the field. He doesn't throw with a lot of velocity most of the time, so it's not like he has a great arm, but he can at least put some distance on it. 

LOL

So I decided to give the guy another chance and watch whatever else Draftbreakdown.com has on him. Someone in this thread suggested that I watch something from 2013, so I go to the game against Sam Houston State. This is the very first play of the tape:

LOL.. it just doesn't get any uglier than that. 

LOL

To be fair to the kid, I saw the ball was out of his hands and the receiver had just turned around at the 12.  The defender was at the 14.  But as receiver wasturning and coming back for the ball, he tripped and fell at the 11 while defender drove on and to the inside toward the ball.  E-Z pick 6, especially with receiver rolling in fetal position on the turf. LOL

BB_1_zpsftwy3ds6.jpg

BB_2_zpsu0kkd7t3.jpg

BB_3_zpsoajbqwkw.jpg

I'll wait for your full assessment though, when you've seen lots 'O tape...

IMHO, Painter was better.

I'll lay off. My only point was that I think his tape is pretty bad, and don't see why he's on the roster as a QB. Scout team makes sense, camp arm makes sense, I just thought he'd look better.

Painter is better?  Man, this guy has no hope! lol

Terrible stats against bad competition: http://stats.washingtonpost.com/cfb/players.asp?id=193473

Bad tape: http://draftbreakdown.com/video/bryan-bennett-vs-tulane-2014/

He doesn't have a strong arm. His delivery is unconscionable. He doesn't throw with good touch. He has bad timing with his receivers. His footwork is terrible. He skipped more passes than he completed. He does seem like a tough player, and has some decent movement, but that's about it. If there's anyone that we should have signed off of the clips above, it's WR #9. 

Our third QB is probably irrelevant, so this is not consequential. But I think there were easily better UDFA QBs available. Even if they all turned us down, I don't see the draw for this guy. He seems really bad. Maybe he has some great tape that I haven't seen (after that train wreck above, I'm not watching anymore of his tape). Maybe his workouts were spectacular. But even just for a camp arm, I can't understand what evaluation process comes up with him being given a contract. 

Yikes.

"But other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"

• 2 weeks later...

Oooh, good work here. There was none of this on the first game I watched. Good footwork, good balance, eyes downfield, smooth weight transfer to the front leg, maintains good balance, compact delivery (a little unconventional, but nothing bad), nice zip on the ball, splits two defenders, finishes with throwing arm to opposite hip... His shoulders roll over a little too much toward the end of the throw, but it's a nice, deliberate follow through.

http://zippy.gfycat.com/UnsungUnluckyHellbender.webm

Also, the kid can run, and he's tough. That was obvious right away, and I think I already mentioned it. Maybe we just brought him in to run read option in practice, or maybe even to help Luck (?) run some. I haven't seen him throw after read option yet, and most of his throws on the move have been pretty bad.

Oh, and I said he has no arm strength. That's not true. He can get the ball down the field. He doesn't throw with a lot of velocity most of the time, so it's not like he has a great arm, but he can at least put some distance on it. 

There's an piece on him up now in Stampede Blue. I took this out of at as maybe it says what the Colts see in him ? 

"He is an athletic player with clear natural talent who was productive in college, but he's a guy who clearly needs some more work.  At the 2015 NFL Scouting Combine, he had the fastest throw of any quarterback as he was clocked at 60 miles per hour - so he obviously has the arm strength too. "

Huh... looks like maybe the fastest throw ever at combine ? Not sure how many years they've been doing it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000488449/article/se-louisianas-bryan-bennett-hit-60-mph-with-combine-throw

There's an piece on him up now in Stampede Blue. I took this out of at as maybe it says what the Colts see in him ? 

"He is an athletic player with clear natural talent who was productive in college, but he's a guy who clearly needs some more work.  At the 2015 NFL Scouting Combine, he had the fastest throw of any quarterback as he was clocked at 60 miles per hour - so he obviously has the arm strength too. "

Huh... looks like maybe the fastest throw ever at combine ? Not sure how many years they've been doing it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000488449/article/se-louisianas-bryan-bennett-hit-60-mph-with-combine-throw

That's surprising. I see arm strength, having watched more of him, but that kind of velocity is elite. Doesn't really mean good QBing, but I was wrong about his arm to begin with.

That's surprising. I see arm strength, having watched more of him, but that kind of velocity is elite. Doesn't really mean good QBing, but I was wrong about his arm to begin with.

I hope he sticks to the practice squad. Matt more then likely will only play one more year. This kids might be pretty good after getting coached up and watching Luck for a season in practice.