Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why did we sign Bryan Bennett?

Superman

Terrible stats against bad competition: http://stats.washingtonpost.com/cfb/players.asp?id=193473

Bad tape: http://draftbreakdown.com/video/bryan-bennett-vs-tulane-2014/

He doesn't have a strong arm. His delivery is unconscionable. He doesn't throw with good touch. He has bad timing with his receivers. His footwork is terrible. He skipped more passes than he completed. He does seem like a tough player, and has some decent movement, but that's about it. If there's anyone that we should have signed off of the clips above, it's WR #9. 

Our third QB is probably irrelevant, so this is not consequential. But I think there were easily better UDFA QBs available. Even if they all turned us down, I don't see the draw for this guy. He seems really bad. Maybe he has some great tape that I haven't seen (after that train wreck above, I'm not watching anymore of his tape). Maybe his workouts were spectacular. But even just for a camp arm, I can't understand what evaluation process comes up with him being given a contract. 

Yikes.

Hard to find many decent QB's I think right now period be them undrafted FA's or NFL FA's. Personally I know Ryan Lindleys stats are not good and he makes bad decisions at times but he does have starting experience and a good arm, I don't think it would hurt to bring him into camp, I don't expect he makes the cuts but at this stage I don't expect any QB's available would. He is only 25

I wanted Brandon Bridge. He has a great arm. Like seriously a cannon arm. But he has accuracy issues. I thought he had some natural ability and that he could improve his accuracy, etc, and be a pretty good backup after Hasselbeck retires.

You need to look at the '13 season superman. And if you think this kid has a weak arm you have not done any research! Research will show you he can throw the ball over 80 yards and did so with regularity at the manning camp. He through the ball a record mph at the combine. This is not a weak armed athlete.

The SE La team had not made the playoffs since the 60's. In '12 they lost to Sam Houston 70-0. Enter Bennett and in '13, the lions defeat S Houston once in the regular season and in the playoffs. And over two seasons they go undefeated in a conference they had not won in 50 years.

The offensive coordinator leaves after '13 and along with some minor injuries, he and the team/offense struggles. This is a kid that started games at U of Oregon before losing the job the Heimann trophy winner.

Look at the numbers and highlite tape from '13 my friend. This kid can flat play. Is he a project, yep. But in a league where #1 draft picks don't make it on a regular, this pick is a steal....

Terrible stats against bad competition: http://stats.washingtonpost.com/cfb/players.asp?id=193473

Bad tape: http://draftbreakdown.com/video/bryan-bennett-vs-tulane-2014/

He doesn't have a strong arm. His delivery is unconscionable. He doesn't throw with good touch. He has bad timing with his receivers. His footwork is terrible. He skipped more passes than he completed. He does seem like a tough player, and has some decent movement, but that's about it. If there's anyone that we should have signed off of the clips above, it's WR #9.

Our third QB is probably irrelevant, so this is not consequential. But I think there were easily better UDFA QBs available. Even if they all turned us down, I don't see the draw for this guy. He seems really bad. Maybe he has some great tape that I haven't seen (after that train wreck above, I'm not watching anymore of his tape). Maybe his workouts were spectacular. But even just for a camp arm, I can't understand what evaluation process comes up with him being given a contract.

Yikes.

Da'quan Smith number 7 maybe we get him as an UDFA next year.

Here's an article on Bennett might make you feel better might not. It sounds like some think he has potential

http://m.jsonline.com/sports/blogs/300321341.html

You need to look at the '13 season superman. And if you think this kid has a weak arm you have not done any research! Research will show you he can throw the ball over 80 yards and did so with regularity at the manning camp. He through the ball a record mph at the combine. This is not a weak armed athlete.

The SE La team had not made the playoffs since the 60's. In '12 they lost to Sam Houston 70-0. Enter Bennett and in '13, the lions defeat S Houston once in the regular season and in the playoffs. And over two seasons they go undefeated in a conference they had not won in 50 years.

The offensive coordinator leaves after '13 and along with some minor injuries, he and the team/offense struggles. This is a kid that started games at U of Oregon before losing the job the Heimann trophy winner.

Look at the numbers and highlite tape from '13 my friend. This kid can flat play. Is he a project, yep. But in a league where #1 draft picks don't make it on a regular, this pick is a steal....

I think he has a shot at the PS. He is a project but sounds like he has some tools.Per NFL.com:

Very good athlete. Posted impressive 37-inch vertical and 10-foot-5 broad jump at the NFL Scouting Combine. Played behind Marcus Mariota at Oregon to begin his career. Has ability to hurt defenses as a scrambler and on running plays. Looks the part. Smooth, effortless release. Arm strength is no issue. Can put pepper on seam throws. Shows hints of being able to make anticipatory throws into tight windows. When able, will shuffle from pocket, keeping his eyes downfield and scanning for an open target.

I admit I only watched one game, but arm strength is usually a constant. And in that one game, his arm didn't look strong. He had no zip on his passes, DBs were breaking on all of his throws, he floated several of them, etc. He can throw far, but I didn't see velocity. If I'm missing it on arm strength, fine, but show me where.

I don't see how I can be off on the mechanics, though, and that's the much bigger issue. He reminds me of Matt Saracen from Friday Night Lights.

As for "why does it matter, he's just a camp arm!?" Well, duh. I know he isn't going to matter for our team. The only reason we need a rookie QB right now is so someone can throw at rookie camp. I know this.

I was being a football junkie earlier and watching some cut-ups from some fringe players on the roster. Then I watched Bennett. He's bad. Like, real bad. I would think that we could find someone better than him, at least based on the little bit that I saw. This wasn't a great class for QBs, but there were better guys than him, IMO.

So give me a little bit of credit, please. Just assume that I know how inconsequential his spot on the roster is. That I'm still wondering "why?" about him should tell you how bad I think he is.

He throws with more velocity than anyone has EVER thrown at the NFL combine. 60mph

Let's put the lack of arm strength to rest!!! You don't have to like him but the kid has big time arm strength

Welcome to the board, Mr. Bennett. Sorry to have been so hard on your son.

As for "why does it matter, he's just a camp arm!?" Well, duh. I know he isn't going to matter for our team. The only reason we need a rookie QB right now is so someone can throw at rookie camp. I know this.

I was being a football junkie earlier and watching some cut-ups from some fringe players on the roster. Then I watched Bennett. He's bad. Like, real bad. I would think that we could find someone better than him, at least based on the little bit that I saw. This wasn't a great class for QBs, but there were better guys than him, IMO.

So give me a little bit of credit, please. Just assume that I know how inconsequential his spot on the roster is. That I'm still wondering "why?" about him should tell you how bad I think he is.

OK.....

In three years on this site, I've never seen you post a rant like this....   and I try to read all your stuff....

So,  I'll try and put it this way......    maybe he's got some qualities,  some intangibles,  that don't show up on film.   That can happen with the QB position.

Or,  maybe the other QB's who were better,  were offered better deals,  and saw better opportunities elsewhere....

Maybe when the music stopped,  the Colts and Bryant Bennett looked at each other and we were the last match possible?

I'm just spit-balling ideas now....   you seem to have rejected all the others.......

OK.....

In three years on this site, I've never seen you post a rant like this.... and I try to read all your stuff....

So, I'll try and put it this way...... maybe he's got some qualities, some intangibles, that don't show up on film. That can happen with the QB position.

Or, maybe the other QB's who were better, were offered better deals, and saw better opportunities elsewhere....

Maybe when the music stopped, the Colts and Bryant Bennett looked at each other and we were the last match possible?

I'm just spit-balling ideas now.... you seem to have rejected all the others.......

I don't mean to rant. I'm just surprised that he looks so bad. Maybe we struck out on every other rookie QB that was available. That's the most reasonable explanation.

I'm being snarky about the "camp arm" stuff because that's super obvious. I know the guy isn't the future of the franchise. But it is early May. The doldrums...

The second half of those preseason games are going to be really ugly. That Cincy game should be condemned now.

I would like to have seen us sign Nick Marshall. Work him out at DB and let him play QB in the 4th Q of those preseason games where we're just trying to get off the field.

He didn't lose the starting job. He started one game his final year because of injury. He's not a very good qb, but not terrible, either. I think he'd make a good safety but don't see him switching positions.

The second half of those preseason games are going to be really ugly. That Cincy game should be condemned now.

I would like to have seen us sign Nick Marshall. Work him out at DB and let him play QB in the 4th Q of those preseason games where we're just trying to get off the field.

Marshall is a worse qb than Bennett.

Marshall is a worse qb than Bennett.

Point being, he could get work at DB also. Does it really matter who's playing QB at the end of those preseason games anyway?

And Bennett may surprise us. He's not as bad as the OP stated.

Bad tape: http://draftbreakdown.com/video/bryan-bennett-vs-tulane-2014/

Yikes.

Someone has to be the tackling dummy for Mathis, Cole, Newsome etc....Luck is too valuable and Matt is too old...

I loved the topic.  He does look awful in this film.  

One thing to remember is there were some on this board thought Andrew Luck had a weak arm even after he through the ball 75 yards against the Palo Alto winds....

I admit I only watched one game, but arm strength is usually a constant. And in that one game, his arm didn't look strong. He had no zip on his passes, DBs were breaking on all of his throws, he floated several of them, etc. He can throw far, but I didn't see velocity. If I'm missing it on arm strength, fine, but show me where.

I don't see how I can be off on the mechanics, though, and that's the much bigger issue. He reminds me of Matt Saracen from Friday Night Lights.

I get your point, but you are working off a very small sample size to judge this guy.  In your first post you say  he has 'terrible stats against bad competition'.  To give him the benefit of the doubt, he wasn't exactly playing with a top notch group at SE Louisiana.

As others have said, we may have just been rejected by any other UDFA QB available -- which would make sense, because with Luck and Hasselbeck already on our roster, just about nobody will be able to come in a compete for anything more than the 3rd QB or PS QB.  If I were coming out of college as a QB, I think the Colts would be the last team in the league I'd want to sign with because making the roster as a QB would be so difficult.

While his mechanics look a little suspect and his arm looks inconsistent in the film you show, he does have some positive traits.  He is pretty fast (~4.7 forty) and seems to be athletic and agile.  We are likely to face two athletic QBs in Week 1 and 2 and then have several more on the schedule.  There is no way Hasselbeck could 'act' as an EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Cam Newton, etc... I haven't researched deeply into all the available UDFAs, but I wonder if this is something the staff thinks about with the PS QB.  If there were a bunch of players that they didn't think could compete with Hasselbeck for QB #2, it would (at least in my mind) make sense to sign a guy who can add a different dimension than Hasselbeck to practice.