Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts draft Stanford DE Henry Anderson at 93 (Merge)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has to get stronger, especially skinny lower body

That's hard for people like him to do. The ancient Vikings had broad shoulders and narrow hips...a body designed for rowing. But its not really suited for being an NFL dlineman. Samoans like Danny Shelton make better ones.

I'll stop now.

That's hard for people like him to do. The ancient Vikings had broad shoulders and narrow hips...a body designed for rowing. But its not really suited for being an NFL dlineman. Samoans like Danny Shelton make better ones.

I'll stop now.

I don't know anything about his hips but you can overcome genetics. Granted it's a lot harder than say the ones you mentioned but it's doable.

‏@PFF_Jim  2m2 minutes ago

Henry Anderson was the highest graded interior defender in all of college football last season.

Anderson had the 4th highest run stop% and the 2nd highest pass rush productivity in the nation.

cff-sig-di-rspct.png

cff-sig-prp-di.png

I'm not doubting any of this, and I'm excited about the prospect.

But how does all of *that* fall to the 3rd round?

I don't know anything about his hips but you can overcome genetics. Granted it's a lot harder than say the ones you mentioned but it's doable.

Yeah. Its going to be hard to have a strong base when the bone structure is working against him.

Its also why RBs like Tevon Coleman or David Johnson have some agility disadvantages over other RBs that have a lower center of gravity.

he just reminds me of Werner that is all... Not very strong and has a childs lower body. I don't see what the hypes about. But I didn't watch any Stanford games either.

I don't see Anderson has getting a lot of sacks. DTs don't often get sacks, but he doesn't look really quick enough to get to the QB. I think he can penetrate and cause problems in the running game, especially with 6.6 height and length. But my concern is that teams will negate that quickness when he is on the field and will look to run right at him have drive him back because of his narrow lower body.

Basically, I don't think his college tape translates well to the pros. He may do well due to technique and quickness, and he's only a third round pick, but folks who say this was a steal I think are going to be disappointed, IMO.

Werner would be okay if he was drafted where Anderson was.

Looking at the big picture, starting front would be Jones-Chapman-Langford. Anyone think Anderson can beat out Langford for playing time.

Beat out Langford? IMO,no. But neither would anybody taken at 29. I think Anderson will spell Langford when he gets gassed, as would someone at 29. The difference between Anderson's PT and the #29 guys PT is that Anderson will need time to get stronger, so that rotation may not really hit full stride until next year, whereas the guy picked at 29 might rotate with Langford more sooner and get more PT.

However, Anderson may be a better pass rusher than any of the 34 DT/E's available at 29, so he might see more PT than the other guy based on that depending on the alignment and personnel Manusky calls. I'm not sure how that would impact the rotation with Langford.

At this point, I don't see Anderson as being heavy enough to be a replacement for Jones, so I agree with your Anderson/Langford question.

Looking at the big picture, starting front would be Jones-Chapman-Langford. Anyone think Anderson can beat out Langford for playing time.

He won't have to beat out Langford.  He'll be part of the DL rotation and get plenty of snaps.

Chapman???????? Man I dont get what people see in him, especially after seeing him play. Just a big body that's it. The colts need someone in the mold of Vince wilfork at NT, someone who is actually athletic. Terry williams from ECU would be good imo

When Grigson / Pagano came in in 2012 and began the overhaul, we needed a nose tackle.  That draft class was pretty bad if I remember.  Dontari Poe was only first rounder.  Everyone else pretty much round 3 or lower.  Chapman played the season with a torn ACL.  Since explosion and speed isn't his game, it doesn't affect him as much as a skill guy,  But Dr, Andrews performed surgery on him after the year.  So Chapman was no longer a round 3 guy. Grigs pulled the trigger in round 5.  So when Josh was healthy, here's what we could expect-

A huge body.  Clog the lanes, and his strength can hold his ground.  Minimal lateral movement, essentially no pass rush.  Won't be involved in too many tackles. Is supposed to take up O lineman (especially double teams) and let LB's roam free and make plays.  So your perception isn't far off, in some respects.  He might have been the best 0 tech, two gap NT in that draft. And we had to have a future NT.  But he is what he is.  A round 3 guy in a draft class essentially void of stellar NT's, taken in round 5 because of injury rehab would delay his availability.  If/when Josh does more than what I posted here, I'm a little giddy, because he's overproducing IMO.

NFL is stupid and doesn't like players who don't look like their imagined prototype. It's why DTs are always the best value in the late rounds, teams pass on talented 3-techs because they're "too small". If Grady Jarrett and Michael Bennett were 2" taller and weighed 10 more lbs, they'd have probably been 1st or 2nd round picks. 

I have no clue.  Usually a guy with elite production that falls doesn't measure well, but he measured elite as well.  I'm just really glad he did.

NFL is stupid and doesn't like players who don't look like their imagined prototype. It's why DTs are always the best value in the late rounds, teams pass on talented 3-techs because they're "too small". If Grady Jarrett and Michael Bennett were 2" taller and weighed 10 more lbs, they'd have probably been 1st or 2nd round picks.

So true

Love the Anderson Pick. great scheme fit for us, and will end up being a starter when he builds up some and learns the system.  Has a knack for getting into a backfield.  

The Smith pick i am not sold on.  it is not his size or his work ethic, it is that he is a Zone defender, not a man-to-man guy.  He has ALOT of learning to do before he can be trusted out on the field as a defender IMO.

I don't see Anderson has getting a lot of sacks. DTs don't often get sacks, but he doesn't look really quick enough to get to the QB. I think he can penetrate and cause problems in the running game, especially with 6.6 height and length. But my concern is that teams will negate that quickness when he is on the field and will look to run right at him have drive him back because of his narrow lower body.

Basically, I don't think his college tape translates well to the pros. He may do well due to technique and quickness, and he's only a third round pick, but folks who say this was a steal I think are going to be disappointed, IMO.

Werner would be okay if he was drafted where Anderson was.I couldn't agree more!

He might just prove to be a very good 3rd down DE in the rotation.

That is his floor, in my opinion.  I think in two years he'll be the biggest playmaker on the D-line.  

Just have a quick question for everyone about the Anderson pick. From everything I have looked up and read on him, he is pretty much Bjoern Werner all over again, same PROS and CONS for the most part Having watched both of them through many highlights and lowlights, yes you have to watch tape of them getting burned as well to get a true feel of the person and how they play.

So my  question is. DO you like this pick because of the person you are getting or do you like the pick because of the round you are getting the person in?

Edited by 21isSuperman

Just have a quick question for everyone about the Anderson pick. From everything I have looked up and read on him, he is pretty much Bjoern Werner all over again, same PROS and CONS for the most part Having watched both of them through many highlights and lowlights, yes you have to watch tape of them getting burned as well to get a true feel of the person and how they play.

So my question is. DO you like this pick because of the person you are getting or do you like the pick because of the round you are getting the person in?

Well, first of all, Werner and Anderson don't even play the same position.

Secondly, Werner is none of the worst athletes in the NFL and Anderson was one of the most athletic D-lineman in the class.

Well, first of all, Werner and Anderson don't even play the same position.

Secondly, Werner is none of the worst athletes in the NFL and Anderson was one of the most athletic D-lineman in the class.

I

They may have not had the same position but once again had pretty much exact same PROS and CONS coming into the draft. JUst track down the two players evaluations. Im not saying he will be bad or good. I just prefer to be realistic in getting over hyped for any rookie.

Edited by 21isSuperman