Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts draft Stanford DE Henry Anderson at 93 (Merge)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That the Colts would end up with Henry Anderson.

Since I arrived I've been telling Colts fans that there were better players at Stanford than we put into the NFL in '13 or '14.   Better talent in the pipeline. 

And Anderson was one of those kids.   I think he's a perfect fit for the Colts.   

I think he's the right kid for the Colts in the right round.

Ok. Good.

Now everybody is Happy lol haha Im definitely happy with this pick too. I've read alot of good on him. He's supposedly got a relentless knack for pressuring the QB. A guy that should be versatile too. Definitely needed some DE help.

The difference in the number of posts in this thread compared to last night is hilarious. You guys crack me up.

Humans in the internet age. Cynicism drives the posters on message boards, facebook, and blogs, and I will not be so naive as to exclude myself from such activity. 

An astute observation either way, Supe. 

Do we think the presence of Mathis will bring his pass rush to the next level? 

Nah, 2 Totally different position players who will have different assignments plus it remains to be seen what kind of an impact Mathis will have coming off a major injury at his age

Nah, 2 Totally different position players who will have different assignments plus it remains to be seen what kind of an impact Mathis will have coming off a major injury at his age

I am concerned about Mathis returning to his career best form he had last we saw him. However, if he is in familiar form, no doubt the extra attention and double teams will allow Werner and this new guy to up their tempo. 

I like the pick. Questions on this report, but I like him.

GRADE
2552272.jpg
Henry Anderson (DE)

HT: 6'6" WT: 294LBS.

POSITION: DE

SCHOOL: Stanford

ARM LENGTH: 33 1/2"

HANDS: 9 3/4"

Overview

Participated in 2015 Senior Bowl. Selected first-team All-Pac-12 in 2014, leading team in tackles for loss (15) and sacks (8.5). In 2013, selected honorable mention All-Pac-12 after missing six games with a left MCL sprain. Selected second-team All-Pac-12 in 2012, starting 14 games and recording 11.5 of his 13 tackles for loss and 4.5 of his 5.5 sacks after seventh game of season. Earned Pac-12 All-Academic first-team honors three times. Two-time All 4AAA Region selection while at Woodward High School (Ga.). Also lettered in basketball and track and field. Won state championship and broke school record in shot put.

Pro Day Results

Bench press: 23 reps of 225 pounds

• SELECTED BY: Colts
  • ROUND: 3
  • PICK (OVERALL): 29 (93)
PICK ANALYSIS:

"He's long with deceiving strength. I think he's an NFL starter all day long. He plays hard all day long and is a better athlete than you think. This is a really good pick here." -- Mike Mayock

COMBINE STATS
  • 40 YARD DASH: 5.03 SEC
  • VERTICAL JUMP: 30.0 INCH
  • BROAD JUMP: 111.0 INCH
  • 3 CONE DRILL: 7.20 SEC
  • 20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.19 SEC

ANALYSIS Strengths

Comes off the ball with good pad level and forward lean. Can get arm extension and can keep himself clean as five-technique. Plays with passion. Third in conference with 12.5 tackles for loss. Moved all over defensive line and has played in both odd and even fronts. Gets hands in passing lanes when rush stalls. Capitalizes when he gets on blocker's edge. Scouts love his intelligence and team-first attitude. Will pursue hard to the sideline and rarely gives offensive linemen a snap off.

Weaknesses

Slender legs, tight hips and boring feet. Feet will stall at contact when squared up against the run. Initial punch by an offensive lineman will jostle him. Lacks power to play inside. On the ground far too often. Must improve hand usage as pass rusher. Can be blocked by tight ends. Benefited from team-oriented defensive scheme. Doesn't gain much ground with initial steps as pass rusher. Relies on hustle sacks and lacks counter moves.

Draft Projection

Round 3

Sources Tell Us

"He plays hard like Trent Murphy did at Stanford, but Murphy was a better athlete. He's not explosive enough to be a reliable pass rusher and I don't see him as a run stuffer." -- Pac 12 regional scout

Bottom Line

Data driven teams will be intrigued by Anderson's stuffs, impact tackles and total pressures, but the tape doesn't validate his potential to produce these numbers on the pro level. The body type screams 3-4 defensive end if he can bulk up and add power, but he might lack the balance and toughness to make it there. Anderson might just be a "tweener" without a clear NFL position fit.

Could he start for us or is that a stretch?

"He's long with deceiving strength. I think he's an NFL starter all day long. He plays hard all day long and is a better athlete than you think. This is a really good pick here." -- Mike Mayock

This pick and D.J...so * good. 

Makes up for that mindblowing WR pick in 1st. Grigson is great in rounds 2-5, I'm pumped for tomorrow with 2 4th round picks and a 5th. What a trade...

Grigson always makes me so mad and then redeems himself with days like today. I know it's early to grade the draft, but on paper this is awesome.

Makes up for that mindblowing WR pick in 1st. Grigson is great in rounds 2-5, I'm pumped for tomorrow with 2 4th round picks and a 5th. What a trade...

Grigson always makes me so mad and then redeems himself with days like today. I know it's early to grade the draft, but on paper this is awesome.

How did we get two 4th rounders? We only swapped 4th rounders TB. We didn't both.

I believe we only have 1 4th round pick ... the trade with TB just moved it from #29 to #10.  Although I wouldn't try to move up or pick up an extra 4th round pick.

Now all of a sudden Grigson knows what he's doing again.  Some of you guys should show a little faith sometimes
even when you don't initially see the logic in how something is started. Learn to let things play out and things will
come into focus like they are now.  Between the 4th and the 5th I'm hoping he pulls the trigger on Eric Langford.

Not doubting that Henry Anderson is great(sounds like he is), but I have yet to find one top 100 prospects board from anybody that has him listed in top 100. Did everybody overlook him that much?

Where did you look?

Because ESPN has two lists....   he's in the 70's with McShay and the low 90's with Kiper..

On NFL.com, he's in the 80's with Mayock and the 80's with Brandt.

And with CBS Sports.com he's in the 80's.

Respectfully,  maybe you shouldn't use whatever websites you're using.

I just gave you five and they all have Anderson in the top-100.

Where did you look?

Because ESPN has two lists....   he's in the 70's with McShay and the low 90's with Kiper..

On NFL.com, he's in the 80's with Mayock and the 80's with Brandt.

And with CBS Sports.com he's in the 80's.

Respectfully,  maybe you shouldn't use whatever websites you're using.

I just gave you five and they all have Anderson in the top-100.

Mayock was one I looked at. Obviously I missed it because Mayock has him listed as going to Alabama. wth? I was scrolling down looking for Stanford.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000488358/article/2015-nfl-draft-mike-mayocks-top-100-prospects

Looking at the big picture, starting front would be Jones-Chapman-Langford. Anyone think Anderson can beat out Langford for playing time.

Chapman???????? Man I dont get what people see in him, especially after seeing him play. Just a big body that's it. The colts need someone in the mold of Vince wilfork at NT, someone who is actually athletic. Terry williams from ECU would be good imo