Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So Danny Orlovsky Stays, Right?

oldunclemark

What I got out of Thursday's game was that Danny Orlovsky is a Colt now.

He's proven he can play and that he blends with this set of skill players..

He's not great...He's basically average....but he won fans last night

But we have our 3rd string QB for next year...

..and we have our 1st stringer coming back.

The only QB question is: Who will be the second stringer, right?

It all depends on whether we still get the number 1 pick. If we do and draft Luck then there's no need for Orlovsky - however if we don't then definitely sign him on, he's definitely a good enough number 2. He's clearly improved miles since that 08 Lions season - we saw last night how much better he copes under pressure now. Happy to have him as a backup, just not as a number 3.

It all depends on whether we still get the number 1 pick. If we do and draft Luck then there's no need for Orlovsky - however if we don't then definitely sign him on, he's definitely a good enough number 2. He's clearly improved miles since that 08 Lions season - we saw last night how much better he copes under pressure now. Happy to have him as a backup, just not as a number 3.

I agree Dan...if we draft Luck..(or RG3) he's No. 2...

Danny O is No. 3...

But we gotta sign him....if only for his sake...

He's apparently got 3 more mouths to feed... :dance:

If Luck, RG3, or Moore becomes our backup QB, a 3rd would be overkill. I think he might get some opportunities to be a #2 qb in the off season.

No..we have to stop this nonsense about carrying 2 QBs because one is invincible...

I think we proved this year..we need 1.) an instant in-game backup in case of injury

...and 2.) a future starter in the pipeline..

I have confidence that if we end up drafting a QB and Danny O gets cut that he'll find somewhere to go. He's better than a lot of backups in the league and heck, a few starters. I'd rather have Orlov than Tavaris Jackson.

No..we have to stop this nonsense about carrying 2 QBs because one is invincible...

I think we proved this year..we need 1.) an instant in-game backup in case of injury

...and 2.) a future starter in the pipeline..

dan would be a great 3rd string qb. probably be the backup for manning most of next season till the qb who we draft this year is comfortable in our system.

I would like him to stay but it depends on what we do in the draft and if Manning is healthy. If we draft a guy like Luck then probably not. We might very well go back to just keeping two QBs IF Manning is healthy and stays too.

I guess I'm missing something....

What is the advantage of carrying only 2 QBs...??

...an extra D-lineman? We didnt have a fullback for 2 years...

How many linebackers to we carry?

I guess I'm missing something....

What is the advantage of carrying only 2 QBs...??

...an extra D-lineman? We didnt have a fullback for 2 years...

How many linebackers to we carry?

you can carry how many of any poistion you want to carry.

Pretty much the advantage to keeping only two QBs is that you have a free roster spot you can use on another poistion. It started here when we were keeping three kickers (one to do kickoffs because Vandy and Hunter Smith didn't have legs that could get the ball to the endzone on kickoffs). Since we got Adam and then McAfee we have kept two most years just to have an extra roster spot. Painter's rookie year we kept three and this year due to the question about Manning's health we kept three those have been the exceptions since when they settled on Sorgi as the back up QB.

What I got out of Thursday's game was that Danny Orlovsky is a Colt now.

He's proven he can play and that he blends with this set of skill players..

He's not great...He's basically average....but he won fans last night

But we have our 3rd string QB for next year...

..and we have our 1st stringer coming back.

The only QB question is: Who will be the second stringer, right?

Well it really depends on the draft. If we were to draft Luck then ORV is out. I think the colts will go back to there old 1/2 QB situation that got them here in the first place.

Well it really depends on the draft. If we were to draft Luck then ORV is out. I think the colts will go back to there old 1/2 QB situation that got them here in the first place.

Till Manning gets through another year without hiccups on the health front, the Colts would think it would be wise to carry 3 QBs, IMO. When Painter was a rookie, Sorgi stuck around for 1 more year before being let go. Same thing with any rookie QB drafted, keep the backup who knows the playbook and can play a bit around that will be useful for more than just playing time on the field; no matter how good the rookie is. Once the rookie QB gets a feel for the speed in the NFL and the playbook, Dan O can be let go for the 2013 season.

you can carry how many of any poistion you want to carry.

Pretty much the advantage to keeping only two QBs is that you have a free roster spot you can use on another poistion. It started here when we were keeping three kickers (one to do kickoffs because Vandy and Hunter Smith didn't have legs that could get the ball to the endzone on kickoffs). Since we got Adam and then McAfee we have kept two most years just to have an extra roster spot. Painter's rookie year we kept three and this year due to the question about Manning's health we kept three those have been the exceptions since when they settled on Sorgi as the back up QB.

But GoC..

2 QBs assumes that the starter cant possibly get hurt..and he'll last forever.Its dangerous..

Why not have a 3rd guy on the roster in training..?

Yes..he's only working with the second team..but you're planning for the future..

that's what we didnt do .

that's the mistake we made

Everybody keeps 3 QBs but us..

After the fiasco this year and it can happen anytime ( Texans and Bears ) I can see us carrying 3 QB's from now on. JMO of course but where would the other teams be if they only had 2. Didn't the Bears have this problem come up this year? I couldn't remember if they were short in that area when their QB went down.

But GoC..

2 QBs assumes that the starter cant possibly get hurt..and he'll last forever.Its dangerous..

Yes..he's only working with the second team..but you're planning for the future..

In the NFL you have to take risks, clearly if something happened to Manning or the back up QB they would bring in another QB or two. The idea would be the odds of both Manning and Luck or whoever getting hurt in the same game would be small.

I don't really know if you can say the Colts made a mistake with the number of QBs they have kept because Manning didn't get hurt in a game. It's not like they really got burned by not having enough QBs on the roster. They got burned by not having a good enough back up. If we use the first pick on a back up that would probably address that.

I know you like to play the yeah but game but you are always going to be able to play yeah but in the NFL because there is no such thing as perfect team. They all have holes some place the idea is to find holes you can live with. The Colts have done pretty well with only keeping two QBs in the past. Wil they keep doing it in the future I don't know. We will see what the future brings.

I also don't know how much good it would do us to have a third QB on the roster in training. If you listen to the reports about Manning he likes ALL the snaps and while he might give some up to a guy like Luck behind he's not going to let a third QB take snaps in practice. Odds are the third QB would stand on the sideline watching waiting for Manning or Luck to get hurt before he played. You can get more out of a PS squad guy in that role and frankly the Colts normally do stash a third QB on the PS probably for that very reason.

I agree Dan...if we draft Luck..(or RG3) he's No. 2...

Danny O is No. 3...

But we gotta sign him....if only for his sake...

He's apparently got 3 more mouths to feed... :dance:

I would like him to stay but it depends on what we do in the draft and if Manning is healthy. If we draft a guy like Luck then probably not. We might very well go back to just keeping two QBs IF Manning is healthy and stays too.

I would wager Luck (or some drafted QB) would be listed as 3rd on the depth chart. In fact, I promise that's what would happen. A veteran guy who can step in right away and play is who you want backing up the starter. Most teams do it this way. That back up also takes on some of the mentor duties, as the starter is busy taking snaps. While not as good as the starter, that doesn't mean said player wouldn't understand the game/system well enough to teach a rookie the ropes.

I believe Dan will still be a Colt next year and Painter and Collins will be out of Indy.I wanted Painter to do good but he just does not have it. Dan is way better. I hate to say this but we need to lose our next game. I say we pick Luck and have him be the #3 QB. Manning and Dan can teach him. That way When Manning retires they both will be ready to go.

In the NFL you have to take risks, clearly if something happened to Manning or the back up QB they would bring in another QB or two. The idea would be the odds of both Manning and Luck or whoever getting hurt in the same game would be small.

I don't really know if you can say the Colts made a mistake with the number of QBs they have kept because Manning didn't get hurt in a game. It's not like they really got burned by not having enough QBs on the roster. They got burned by not having a good enough back up. If we use the first pick on a back up that would probably address that.

I know you like to play the yeah but game but you are always going to be able to play yeah but in the NFL because there is no such thing as perfect team. They all have holes some place the idea is to find holes you can live with. The Colts have done pretty well with only keeping two QBs in the past. Wil they keep doing it in the future I don't know. We will see what the future brings.

I also don't know how much good it would do us to have a third QB on the roster in training. If you listen to the reports about Manning he likes ALL the snaps and while he might give some up to a guy like Luck behind he's not going to let a third QB take snaps in practice. Odds are the third QB would stand on the sideline watching waiting for Manning or Luck to get hurt before he played. You can get more out of a PS squad guy in that role and frankly the Colts normally do stash a third QB on the PS probably for that very reason.

All good points by if there's no 3rd guy on the roster..he cant enter the game when its 24-0...

We had Peyton take every snap (and in truth..most of the 2010 games were close) but if we'd had a 3rd QB, we could have inserted him in some games....or we mght have seen that Curtis P...was lacking

I cant prove it but I think we DID get burned by not having 3 QBs on the roster...Mop up minutes have great value..

We might want to keep an extra D-lineman..for rotation..

or an extra WR....because an injury at WR....limits you midway in a game....

but I know you know...we had 2 QBs active and NO FULLBACKS..in 2010..

...I agree..if the top two are Manning and Luck (or Manning and Orklovsky) we are now set

But GoC..

The new CBA allows you to carry 3 QB's with the 3rd one not counting against the roster count, even though he is an active player. So yes, we will carry 3 again.

Bring Jim Sorgy back :lol:

Sorgi wasn't that bad as a back up he was just getting back from an injury I'm thinking and they drafted Painter. Maybe his contract was up and it was a money thing. Now he isn't playing because of another injury and he doesn't look like he's in shape but I still like him. JMO of course. With the new CBA I'm betting we will carry 3 from now on. The way QB's have gone down this year in the league I imagine a lot of teams will carry 3.