Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

is a lot of free agents a bad thing?

ThatOneColtFan

Cont.

On mobile and I screwed up and didn't finish.

But these said people say that you have to build from the draft or whatever. I saw a tweet saying that we have signed the most starting defensive free agents this off season. Isn't it too early to nitpick such a thing? The draft hasn't even passed yet. I think a good team is a good team, no matter how you spin it.

My take on what we did this free agency is that we are not "building" our team through free agency. We have added veterans in spots where we expect to draft future players. We will still be building through the draft.

We are currently adding players to strengthen certain positions and will continue to draft for the future. The draft is where we build the team while FA is where we supplement our team.

My take on what we did this free agency is that we are not "building" our team through free agency. We have added veterans in spots where we expect to draft future players. We will still be building through the draft.

We are currently adding players to strengthen certain positions and will continue to draft for the future. The draft is where we build the team while FA is where we supplement our team.

Now that I think about it... We have had some success in filling a Need in free agency while also drafting for the future of that position lately. Makes all of our team friendly contracts that much more appealing. also, it makes me feel good about this year's draft.

Now that I think about it... We have had some success in filling a Need in free agency while also drafting for the future of that position lately. Makes all of our team friendly contracts that much more appealing. also, it makes me feel good about this year's draft.

In addition, some are upset that we added so many aging players, however, we only need them for a couple of years so that guys behind them in the rotation can develop. For example, I assume we may draft a RB to pair with Gore. This rotation will keep Gore fresh and will allow the rookie RB to get some playing time and experience. If we draft a WR, the same may apply behind Andre Johnson.

There are a few positions where if we draft right, we can get some immediate starters.

Our entire starting defense aside from Chapman is made up of free agents (assuming Cole starts the year) or players that were traded for. Kind of crazy. We only have 4 defensive player on the roster who were drafted by Grigson.

Our entire starting defense aside from Chapman is made up of free agents (assuming Cole starts the year) or players that were traded for. Kind of crazy. We only have 4 defensive player on the roster who were drafted by Grigson.

Not quite.

Vonte was a trade, and not a free agent......

He's only had 3 drafts and the focus has been on offense.    Not unreasonable considering we have Luck.

Plus,  two draft picks drank their way off the team.   Boyett and Andrew Jackson should be on the team if they didn't turn out to be knuckleheads....

He's only had 3 drafts and the focus has been on offense. Not unreasonable considering we have Luck.

Plus, two draft picks drank their way off the team. Boyett and Andrew Jackson should be on the team if they didn't turn out to be knuckleheads....

Meh, he knew the risks when he drafted them.

Cont.

On mobile and I screwed up and didn't finish.

But these said people say that you have to build from the draft or whatever. I saw a tweet saying that we have signed the most starting defensive free agents this off season. Isn't it too early to nitpick such a thing? The draft hasn't even passed yet. I think a good team is a good team, no matter how you spin it.

I don't think it is bad thing at all.  They strengthened positions that needed to be upgraded but did so without mortgaging the future.  They will very likely still draft players in those positions so I believe the draft will continue to be the backbone of what they do going forward.  I also think the risks of such a FA splash like they made this year are mitigated by having such an outstanding QB already in place.

yeah but that's nothing to be surprised about. We basically cut our entire roster after 2011 so we've only had 3 drafts worth of players.

yeah but that's nothing to be surprised about. We basically cut our entire roster after 2011 so we've only had 3 drafts worth of players.

Yeah and the first draft was about 90% value to the other side of the ball. With the barren roster , Grigson had to give Luck some help.

Then consider only 5 picks in 2014.

Also add V Davis to the mix if you like

Free agents have a history of not playing as well in year one.

And typically stay on the new team for 2 years.

Grigs record is muddling so far in FA and the draft.

I don't know usually the issue with free agents is how much is left in the tank, their age, & their injury history before we signed them. Usually year 2 is more dangerous than year 1 with older players like Gore & Johnson. 

That's really unfair to slam Grigs in FA other than DHB which was a minimal cost & Trent Richardson. Besides, other than GM Ted Thompson in GB with Julius Peppers no recent FA transaction has been exceptional in an overall team impact to me in recent memory Throwing BBZ. 

This gets posted here every so often: http://www.rosterresource.com/category/nfl-how-assembled-charts/

Basically breaks down how teams have acquired the players on their roster. Obviously, no team is built entirely through the draft/college free agents, but the good teams that have been well run for a long time are mostly relying on drafted players, not free agency acquisitions. Look back at the Colts' drafts for several years, and aside from 2012 and 2014, we don't have a lot of players remaining. As a matter of fact, we only have five players on the roster that pre-date this front office; three of them were drafted. Grigson has had 22 draft picks, and 14 of them are still on the roster. That's 17 drafted players on the roster as of today. Not a lot.

Compare that with other playoff teams:

Colts: http://www.rosterresource.com/nfl-indianapolis-colts-how-assembled-chart/

Ravens: http://www.rosterresource.com/nfl-baltimore-ravens-how-assembled-chart/

Patriots: http://www.rosterresource.com/nfl-new-england-patriots-how-assembled-chart/

Seahawks: http://www.rosterresource.com/nfl-seattle-seahawks-how-assembled-chart/

Packers: http://www.rosterresource.com/nfl-green-bay-packers-how-assembled-chart/

Steelers: http://www.rosterresource.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-how-assembled-chart/

Cowboys: http://www.rosterresource.com/nfl-dallas-cowboys-how-assembled-chart/

The goal is to 1) draft well, and 2) stack good drafts on top of each other. We haven't done that in a long time, and that's why other good teams have around 30 drafted players on their rosters, and we have about half of that. It's why we haven't been getting compensatory picks.

This will start to change and balance out, especially after this year. The staff has put together a team that can make the playoffs every year, so it's hard to complain. But for sustained success, the drafting has to be better, and it has to be consistent, year after year.

4 rosterable defensive players from 3 drafts is very bad.

hmm...let's see. the first draft we went all offense because we had no offense. The second draft was bad but all 4 of the top picks are still on the roster. and we only had 5 picks in the third draft and we got a stud WR and a promising player in Mewhort. Plus we got Newsome who may become our best pass rusher next year or the year after. Not to mention the fact that in the 3 drafts combined we have only drafted 7 defensive players many of which came from round 4+. 4/7 is not bad.

get monsters however you can, by the time a draft pick develops into a monster, he may  move on for more money, just the way the nfl business is set up. I say get players who can play now, draft picks if they ever develop don't as a rule stay with the team that drafted them. the times they are a changing. don't waste time waiting for a pick to get good and then he signs with someone else when he is good, players are loyal to the team they play for now, not last year or next year or whoever drafted them. they are loyal to the money they get now.

Please do not forget our round 1, AFCCG healthy scratch Björn Werner...

Who forgot?  

You didn't read the thread.....    only 4 defensive players on the roster in three drats.

They are:    Chapman, Werner, Hughes and Newsome.

I simply noted that we could've had two more had things worked out as expected.....    Boyett and Jackson.

That's all.    That's the only point I was making.    That would could've had six and not four.

No one forgot Werner.

You have to build through the draft and hope that your early picks play well as starters or good rotation players on defense. This is the best way obviously to stay under the cap. That allows you to sign good FA players that can make an immediate impact in order to win now.

You can't win a SB without both!

Who forgot?  

You didn't read the thread.....    only 4 defensive players on the roster in three drats.

They are:    Chapman, Werner, Hughes and Newsome.

I simply noted that we could've had two more had things worked out as expected.....    Boyett and Jackson.

That's all.    That's the only point I was making.    That would could've had six and not four.

No one forgot Werner.

Well, I feel a guy that doesn't even dress is like not being on the roster.  Most important game of the year?  Phooey....  You can feel however you wish.

Hopefully this was an aberration, and he can at least improve enough to dress once in a while...

Well, I feel a guy that doesn't even dress is like not being on the roster.  Most important game of the year?  Phooey....  You can feel however you wish.

Hopefully this was an aberration, and he can at least improve enough to dress once in a while...

WHAT?!?

"You can fell however you want"?!?!?!?!?!

I didn't defend Werner anywhere!    I simply said I didn't forget him which was the comment you made in your last post to me!!

HELLO?!?!?

I simply said he was one of four drafted defensive players on Grigson's roster.     That's a statement of fact, not opinion.

Something has gone sideways here and I don't understand why........?

WHAT?!?

I simply said he was one of four drafted defensive players on Grigson's roster.     That's a statement of fact, not opinion.

Something has gone sideways here and I don't understand why........?

And I stated If you don't dress you are just as well as NOT on the roster.  That is my take.  What is the difference? Biggest game in the Colts season too.

So your statement of fact might prove true in one sense... but isn't so in another.  How did Werner vs. the Patriots in the AFC Championship game?  Got the official lineup handy?

And this from Grigson's 1st round selection?  :-(