Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

a pass rushing defensive end

I think that is what we need. Having Cole, Mathis and Newsome coming off the edge is great, but the real pressure needs to come from the middle. That's where INT's are forced and QB's get scared. As of now we have nobody that can rush the passer from the middle. I say even if we sign knighton, we have to draft a 

3-4 DE who can pass rush in the first or second round.

I really like Armstead. If he lives up to his potential, he's Calais Campbell 2.0. And Campbell's one of the top five 3-4 DE's in the league. I hope we sign one of Fairley/Knighton/Wilfork then draft either Armstead or Phillips. That should fix our line IMO. I'd even consider drafting Henry Anderson in the 3rd even if we get Armstead in the 1st.

Just trade down to the top of the 2nd and get Cody Prewitt.

I like Eddie Goldman of Florida State if we stand pat or Arik Armstead of Oregon.

So, the thread is about finding a pass rushing DE and your first response is trade down and take a safety with our first pick.   Huh?!?

Then, your 2nd thought is for Eddie Goldman, who is mostly a NT (he was 336 at the combine) and your other idea is for Erik Armstead, who I think had all of about 2.5 sacks this year.....

You OK?      What have you done with Chad?!?

1. Armstead 2. Dawson 3. Best available Safety 4. Best available RB 5. Best available CB 6. BPA 7. BPA <<<<< Ideal

But I believe the Eagles will pick Armstead. In that case if Collins is still on the board and past the Eagles I think the Colts get him. Which would strengthen the Safety position considerably. 

So, the thread is about finding a pass rushing DE and your first response is trade down and take a safety with our first pick.   Huh?!?

Then, your 2nd thought is for Eddie Goldman, who is mostly a NT (he was 336 at the combine) and your other idea is for Erik Armstead, who I think had all of about 2.5 sacks this year.....

The stats don't tell the story on Armstead. Guys gunna be a solid pro me thinks.

I really like both Arik Armstead and Marcus Hardison in the draft. If we cant get Armstead in the 1st, I would love getting Hardison in the 3rd.

I really like Armstead. If he lives up to his potential, he's Calais Campbell 2.0. And Campbell's one of the top five 3-4 DE's in the league. I hope we sign one of Fairley/Knighton/Wilfork then draft either Armstead or Phillips. That should fix our line IMO. I'd even consider drafting Henry Anderson in the 3rd even if we get Armstead in the 1st.

It's obvious both of you have never really watched the guy play and probably got amazed at his size from the Combine. Armstead isn't a first round talent, nor a 2nd or 3rd in my opinion. He's a complete hype job because of his size. He really never dominated against weak Pac-12 lines and Ohio States OL, all underclassmen mind you, made him pull a Houdini in the title game. He's going to disappoint who ever drafts him.

The stats don't tell the story on Armstead. Guys gunna be a solid pro me thinks.

The stats are EXACTLY who he is. A big guy with a ton of potential, but never really showed it at the college level. Now all of a sudden you think he's going to be that guy against professionals? PASS... He's a HUGE risk to take in the first round.

Goldman can play multiple spots, He lined up at multiple spots at Florida State

Goldman can play multiple spots, He lined up at multiple spots at Florida State

Yes.....   and he was 315 then.

He showed up at the combine at 336.   

Sounds like he wants to play the nose.     Either way,  he's not going to be a great edge rusher at 336.

Yes.....   and he was 315 then.

Sounds like he wants to play the nose.     Either way,  he's not going to be a great edge rusher at 336.

Agreed, Im actually hoping he drops back around to 315

Yes..... and he was 315 then.

Sounds like he wants to play the nose. Either way, he's not going to be a great edge rusher at 336.

Nobody will ask him to be an edge rusher, but he can play as our 3 tech end like Arthur Jones does at 330 and play NT as well

Nobody will ask him to be an edge rusher, but he can play as our 3 tech end like Arthur Jones does at 330 and play NT as well

Right.    And I'm fine with him playing our nose.   I'll be fine if we take him in the 1st R.

I was only saying he's gotten so big that I don't think we can count on him to be an effective edge rusher anymore...

That's all...

It's obvious both of you have never really watched the guy play and probably got amazed at his size from the Combine. Armstead isn't a first round talent, nor a 2nd or 3rd in my opinion. He's a complete hype job because of his size. He really never dominated against weak Pac-12 lines and Ohio States OL, all underclassmen mind you, made him pull a Houdini in the title game. He's going to disappoint who ever drafts him.

I couldn't agree more.  Armstead is eye candy...nothing more.  ....he's not an impact player at all.  I don't know what people here are thinking .....   People here need to watch some Eddie Goldman tape and see the effort that guy gives....he has the size we need for NT.  .....that's the guy we need.  .....If we draft Armstead, i'm going to break the TV.

I know this thread is about pass rushing DE but I do not think it is a pressing need. We do not play 1-gap with our DEs like J.J.Watt or a Wade Philips' D. We expect them to be 2-gap players that cannot be moved easily. Players can shed pounds just as much as they have put it on. If we draft Goldman and want him to play DE, we will do so and get him to shed 20 lbs. If they want him to play NT, they will plan accordingly as well. I am fine with either.

Right now, our first job is to stop the run to force longer 3rd downs. Our 3rd down D on 3rd and long is good but a lot of times, we do not get to those 3rd and long where teams have to pass. A big man that cannot be moved is always good, even if he cannot provide pass rush. When the Colts had 2 run stopping NTs in Antonio Johnson and Ed Johnson (I think) in 2009, we made key stop after stop on 3rd and short and 4th and short (including the SB). We have to take away the least risk option for teams against us, which is running it. 

Most of these big DL that you draft have ways to go to get used to NFL caliber OL anyways unless you find a DL like Suh early in the draft which we are not. That is why to me, DL or OL is not the best bet for round 1 unless an outstanding OT drops. Secondary or pass rush is the way to go in round 1. Since we addressed pass rush in the off season and safety youth is a need, I feel that we can trade down and go with Prewitt in the first 10 picks of round 2.

Safeties are at a premium in this pass happy league and to me, if Prewitt is rated round 2, it does not matter to me if we get him in the top 10 picks or bottom 10 picks of round 2. I can bet that some other team has him rated at the top of round 2.

I know this thread is about pass rushing DE but I do not think it is a pressing need. We do not play 1-gap with our DEs like J.J.Watt or a Wade Philips' D. We expect them to be 2-gap players that cannot be moved easily. Players can shed pounds just as much as they have put it on. If we draft Goldman and want him to play DE, we will do so and get him to shed 20 lbs. If they want him to play NT, they will plan accordingly as well. I am fine with either.

Right now, our first job is to stop the run to force longer 3rd downs. Our 3rd down D on 3rd and long is good but a lot of times, we do not get to those 3rd and long where teams have to pass. A big man that cannot be moved is always good, even if he cannot provide pass rush. When the Colts had 2 run stopping NTs in Antonio Johnson and Ed Johnson (I think) in 2009, we made key stop after stop on 3rd and short and 4th and short (including the SB). We have to take away the least risk option for teams against us, which is running it. 

Most of these big DL that you draft have ways to go to get used to NFL caliber OL anyways unless you find a DL like Suh early in the draft which we are not. That is why to me, DL or OL is not the best bet for round 1 unless an outstanding OT drops. Secondary or pass rush is the way to go in round 1. Since we addressed pass rush in the off season and safety youth is a need, I feel that we can trade down and go with Prewitt in the first 10 picks of round 2.

Safeties are at a premium in this pass happy league and to me, if Prewitt is rated round 2, it does not matter to me if we get him in the top 10 picks or bottom 10 picks of round 2. I can bet that some other team has him rated at the top of round 2.

OK.....

Just wanted to make sure you're alright.    You know I love ya!

By the way,  if the Colts trade down out of the first I'm OK.     But if our first pick is a safety,  Prewitt, or anyone else,  I'm suicidal!!

Seriously!     I don't think Grigson/Pagano value safety so much to take one that high.    We haven't been linked with a top safety in like two years.    I think we believe we can take a solid B-level safety and coach 'em up.

So, if our first guy is someone from the worst safety draft class in years (ever?!?)   I'll be as upset as can be....

But,  that's what makes the world go around......

I have been a 49er fan for 47 years. I am also a Stanford die hard. I grew up in the San Francisco Bay area. Posting as a fan I would write to Colts fans about the pick of Andrew Luck, saying you will never miss Peyton Manning. I think I can say I was right. 

Now with the passing of Frank Gore to you Colts I would like permission to be a Colts fan! I am in tears about Frank being let go. Albeit he did go to a team who can get him that 1000 yds and a ring. I really believe that. Don't get me wrong, I am still a 49er fan. I just remember on draft day more than 10 years ago saying they (49ers) need to pick Frank Gore. Me living in Florida now and having to hear and watch the Miami Hurricanes I grew to love Frank.

So will you let me in to your forum?!!!

Edited by 21isSuperman

OK.....

Just wanted to make sure you're alright.    You know I love ya!

By the way,  if the Colts trade down out of the first I'm OK.     But if our first pick is a safety,  Prewitt, or anyone else,  I'm suicidal!!

Seriously!     I don't think Grigson/Pagano value safety so much to take one that high.    We haven't been linked with a top safety in like two years.    I think we believe we can take a solid B-level safety and coach 'em up.

So, if our first guy is someone from the worst safety draft class in years (ever?!?)   I'll be as upset as can be....

But,  that's what makes the world go around......

I wouldn't be surprised if they draft one in the later rounds and roll with McDonald. I know it's a different regime but Bethea sat behind Mike Doss for a year, learned the system, and was put into play after Doss got injured. The rest is history... I think they let McDonald earn the spot and go from there..

The stats are EXACTLY who he is. A big guy with a ton of potential, but never really showed it at the college level. Now all of a sudden you think he's going to be that guy against professionals? PASS... He's a HUGE risk to take in the first round.

He's a risk, but you're being a little hyperbolic. He didn't stack up numbers, but he was a good interior pass rusher for Oregon. 

He's a risk, but you're being a little hyperbolic. He didn't stack up numbers, but he was a good interior pass rusher for Oregon. 

He didn't stack up numbers because he isn't that good. People are overly mesmerized by his size and athleticism that they think he's going to finally be this great football player. Hell he couldn't even do it against weak a** Pac-12 OL's, with the exception of Stanford who also made him look really average. Good interior pass rusher? haha Maybe when takes off those cemented cleats he plays in...

Yeah people who make claims otherwise don't really understand his responsibilities in Oregon's defense. He's definitely raw though. Needs to work on his leverage and hand work. But you'll regularly see plays guys his size shouldn't be able to make. 

I have been a 49er fan for 47 years. I am also a Stanford die hard. I grew up in the San Francisco Bay area. Posting as a fan I would write to Colts fans about the pick of Andrew Luck, saying you will never miss Peyton Manning. I think I can say I was right. 

Now with the passing of Frank Gore to you Colts I would like permission to be a Colts fan! I am in tears about Frank being let go. Albeit he did go to a team who can get him that 1000 yds and a ring. I really believe that. Don't get me wrong, I am still a 49er fan. I just remember on draft day more than 10 years ago saying they (49ers) need to pick Frank Gore. Me living in Florida now and having to hear and watch the Miami Hurricanes I grew to love Frank.

So will you let me in to your forum?!!!

Welcome aboard!

Yes he's a good interior pass rusher. He regularly makes plays like this:

http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=254963&gif=OptimisticKeenHypsilophodon

Completely washed out by a FR RT who took a terrible angle to start and still stopped Armstead in his spot...

http://www.draftbreakdown.com/video-embed/?clip=254963&start=151&end=157

It's funny how we're talking about Armstead as I was currently watching him for my next scouting profile.

I'm charting his Ohio State game and he has 4 run stops and 2 pressures through the first half. Funny, because his given his athletic ability you'd think he was a better pass rusher than run stuffer. 

Yeah people who make claims otherwise don't really understand his responsibilities in Oregon's defense. He's definitely raw though. Needs to work on his leverage and hand work. But you'll regularly see plays guys his size shouldn't be able to make. 

To expand, he's played almost equivalently to the way Bud Dupree was at Kentucky at least the DT equivalent. 

I mean, most tackles are going to beat an interior rusher at the edge of a play lol. Especially when the DT wastes steps on a play that requires him to hold the edge in the run game. Also, that play requires him to bring the OT to the boundary so that LB has a free shot at the QB, which he did. You really could have picked a better play. 

Besides I said he has things to work on. Pass rush moves being one of them. That spin move was awful. 

Swim move is electric. 

It's funny how we're talking about Armstead as I was currently watching him for my next scouting profile.

I'm charting his Ohio State game and he has 4 run stops and 2 pressures through the first half. Funny, because his given his athletic ability you'd think he was a better pass rusher than run stuffer. 

There were a lot of times he just stood there and let the play come to him. With him being so tall he squats like he's going to fall backwards and I think that limits his explosiveness off the snap. On top of that, he shoots straight up and can be slowed easily. Its definitely a technique problem in my eyes, but if Oregon coaches weren't fixing this they should have been fired, or he's developed a REALLY bad habit that he's very consistent with. I still don't see first round talent.

I wouldn't be surprised if they draft one in the later rounds and roll with McDonald. I know it's a different regime but Bethea sat behind Mike Doss for a year, learned the system, and was put into play after Doss got injured. The rest is history... I think they let McDonald earn the spot and go from there..

Incorrect. Bethea played in the same year he was drafted in the year 2006. He was a key reason along with Sanders as to why we won the SB.

However, I do agree that a late round safety might be the way to go in this weak safety class while focusing on the front 7 for the future.

I mean, most tackles are going to beat an interior rusher at the edge of a play lol. Especially when the DT wastes steps on a play that requires him to hold the edge in the run game. Also, that play requires him to bring the OT to the boundary so that LB has a free shot at the QB, which he did. You really could have picked a better play. 

Besides I said he has things to work on. Pass rush moves being one of them. That spin move was awful. 

I understand that, but that was a frosh tackle going against a projected first round talent. He didn't waste a step, he was feinting going inside and trying to cut back with the tackle off balance like in the gif you posted.The only difference being he won on the one you posted. On top of that he didn't do anything for the LB, the guard never pulled off the NT to pick him up. Arik was in full pass rush that play, in my opinion.

Incorrect. Bethea played in the same year he was drafted in the year 2006. He was a key reason along with Sanders as to why we won the SB.

However, I do agree that a late round safety might be the way to go in this weak safety class while focusing on the front 7 for the future.

I stand corrected...