Combine Day 2 Thread

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for this...

A couple of notes:

First,  I'm pretty sure Trent did not run 4.45 at the combine,  but instead at his Pro Day in Alabama.   Which makes his 40 time faster.   They don't time the same way.     Hand time (pro day) vs. fully electronic (combine)

And second,  I don't recall TYH running 4.34 at the combine which makes me wonder if that isn't his pro day time.   Same situation as Trent.

Nicks may have been dealing with his constant foot issues.   When he was healthy, he played faster than 4.63.

You're right that 40 time was at the pro day, he did not run at the combine due to a knee injury. Same thing for T.Y., he did not run the 40 at the combine due to a thigh injury.  Trent's highest 40 time was 4.58.  His lowest at the pro day was a 4.42.  

Really impressed by Langford's time. He might be a 4th round guy who really comes in and produces for his team. I need to see his hands though. He's a guy who I hope is on the Colts radar if we get a running back round 3 or later

Langford's got very solid hands, also he's a great pass blocker. He really can do it all. Would be a great pickup if he's there in the fourth.

Really impressed by Langford's time. He might be a 4th round guy who really comes in and produces for his team. I need to see his hands though. He's a guy who I hope is on the Colts radar if we get a running back round 3 or later

he's a good back I'm a fan of MSU I wanted us to take Bell too haha

You're right that 40 time was at the pro day, he did not run at the combine due to a knee injury. Same thing for T.Y., he did not run the 40 at the combine due to a thigh injury.  Trent's highest 40 time was 4.58.  His lowest at the pro day was a 4.42.  

Yeah, TY ran a 4,34 at his pro day ..... but there were several comments/articles during & after draft talking about him being clocked under 4.3 unofficially on several occasions.

You know.....

It's entirely possible that TY isn't a 4.3 guy.

He might just be a 4.4 guy.    No shame in that.

But he gets open because he's learned how to run much better pass routes.   He's learned some NFL tips on the tricks of his trade.

If all there was to being a great WR was pure speed,  every scout would spend their free time at track meets.

You know.....

It's entirely possible that TY isn't a 4.3 guy.

He might just be a 4.4 guy. No shame in that.

But he gets open because he's learned how to run much better pass routes. He's learned some NFL tips on the tricks of his trade.

If all there was to being a great WR was pure speed, every scout would spend their free time at track meets.

Moncrief was clocked at 4.40 at the combine. Going by eye-test I think it's obvious that T.Y. is faster than Donte and therfore a 4.3 guy. His Pro Day Numbers just reaffirms that.

So far, for me, the biggest loser of all the RB's is one of my mid-round favorites...

Minnesota's David Cobb.

Shows up 9 pounds heavy at 229 and runs 4.81.

wth?!?

Maybe someone grabs him in the 5th round and convinces him to drop some weight to a more reasonable 215.

Maybe he got some bad advice?   But something is not adding up here.....   Very disappointing....

Moncrief was clocked at 4.40 at the combine. Going by eye-test I think it's obvious that T.Y. is faster than Donte and therfore a 4.3 guy. His Pro Day Numbers just reaffirms that.

Moncrief's time was at the combine.   Timed electronically.

TY's time was at his pro day.    Timed by hand.   

That's not the same.   Big difference.

So far, for me, the biggest loser of all the RB's is one of my mid-round favorites...

Minnesota's David Cobb.

wth?!?

Maybe someone grabs him in the 5th round and convinces him to drop some weight to a more reasonable 215.

Maybe he got some bad advice?   But something is not adding up here.....   Very disappointing....

He pulled his hammy running and pulled up at the end so I wouldn't take that 40 time serious. He'll be faster on his pro day if he's good.

If Tyler Lockett indeed ran a 4.40, he won't last until the Colts round 2 pick, IMO. I would much rather have him at 29 than any RB in the draft.

Right now, Lockett has roughly a 3rd round grade.

He's very small.     Sub 5'9' and I think sub 180.

He may wind up going in the 2nd round,  but his size may limit how high he is taken.

Moncrief's time was at the combine.   Timed electronically.

TY's time was at his pro day.    Timed by hand.   

That's not the same.   Big difference.

I am aware of that. That's why I wrote that going by eye-test/watch them play for the Colts, T.Y. is faster than Donte. Thus we can deduce that if T.Y. ran a 40 yard that was electronically timed, he himself would be clocked in the 4.3s.

Abdullah running a 4.61 doesn't surprise me. Having watched him on BTN, I didn't think he had exceptional quickness. He does about everything else a 5'9 200 pound guy can do, but he's a 3rd rounder now, IMO.

He'll probably post a sub 4.6 at his pro-day however.

Right now, Lockett has roughly a 3rd round grade.

He's very small.     Sub 5'9' and I think sub 180.

He may wind up going in the 2nd round,  but his size may limit how high he is taken.

Hmmm, I thought he weighed in beefier than that.

I'd prefer the colts to take him no earlier than the second round.

As far as some of the RB talk, I don't really care for any of the RBs higher than the 3rd, frankly.

As far as some of the RB talk, I don't really care for any of the RBs higher than the 3rd, frankly.

Same. I like Abdullah or Coleman in the 3rd, Langford in the 4th. I'd be fine with whoever if we take a RB later than round 4.

Doug....

You are correct.    I hadn't double checked the official weigh-ins.   My bad.

Tyler measured in bigger & taller than expected.

5'10" and not 5'9" and 182,  and not 175.

Good for him.   He made himself some money just with that alone!    That will help.

Minnesota's David Cobb.

wth?!?

4.81......Maybe when he was getting looked at prior to drills and all that the dotors missed something...It happened before.....4.81 just seems to me to wreak of something more going on for a rb......4.81 is TE speed....and a slow one at that maybe.....I missed his 40 though, Reording it when it all starts again tonight on a rerun

4.81......Maybe when he was getting looked at prior to drills and all that the dotors missed something...It happened before.....4.81 just seems to me to wreak of something more going on for a rb......4.81 is TE speed....and a slow one at that maybe.....I missed his 40 though, Reording it when it all starts again tonight on a rerun

He pulled a hammy halfway through.

Minnesota's David Cobb.

wth?!?

Maybe he got some bad advice? But something is not adding up here..... Very disappointing....

Um did you actually watch his 40? He pulled a hammy halfway through. That's why it doesn't add up.

Same. I like Abdullah or Coleman in the 3rd, Langford in the 4th. I'd be fine with whoever if we take a RB later than round 4.

Like Abdullah, I'd be happy if the colts took Langford in the 3rd. Has good size, can pass protect, catch, and after today proved he has really nice speed.

Um did you actually watch his 40? He pulled a hammy halfway through. That's why it doesn't add up.

Ummm....   have you actually read the thread?

You're about the 3rd, maybe the 4th person to share that.

So,  no.   I didn't see his 40.   

And, no.   You didn't read this thread.

Also my day 3 winners and losers

Winners:

Chris Connely WR, Georgia-Every combine there is that one "workout warrior" who no one has really heard of but blows up the workouts. He ran a 4.35, had a 45" vertical, and an 11 something broad jump. He made himself some money today

Kevin White WR, WVU- His stock was already high, but I think he edged out Cooper as the number 1 receiver. They're both great, but White is more explosive

Justin Hardy WR, WCU-Looked smooth and has natural hands. More of a procession receiver though.

Rashad Greene WR, FSU-Same as Hardy basically. Overshadowed by all the big super speed guys but he's legit.

Jeremy Langford RB, MSU- Ran the fastest time of the RBs and looked smooth in the drills.

Bryce Petty QB, Baylor-I liked him better than Hundley today and he looked to be the best natural thrower after the big 2. With the right coaching, he could be a steal for the right team.

Losers

David Cobb-Pulled a hammy running the 40. Really unfortunate because his day was done after that, but his tape will speak for itself and he has his pro day

Sammie Coates- Came in with questions about drops, and he confirmed that. Did nothing to improve his stock

John Crockett- 4.62 isn't what I expected from him. All I heard about was the ridiculous speed he had, but it wasn't there in the 40. Very average RB speed.

In case anyone was wondering here are 40 times from our HBs, QBs, WRs: 

Quarterback 

Luck - 4.67 

Hasselbeck - 4.93 

Runningback

Herron - 4.66 

Richardson - 4.45 

Ballard - 4.65 

Tipton - 4.7 

Bradshaw - 4.55 

Wide Receiver 

Wayne - 4.45 

Hilton - 4.34 

Moncrief - 4.4

Nicks - 4.63 

Carter - 4.6 

Moncrief had an official average 40-time of 4.34 at the combine last year...a low of 4.32.

John Crockett- 4.62 isn't what I expected from him. All I heard about was the ridiculous speed he had, but it wasn't there in the 40. Very average RB speed.

Agreed. He has a quick two step and can go from coasting to sprinting like nothing, but he didn't run very well. He also runs too upright through the hole.

Anyways, yeah I was expecting an impressive 40. Senior Bowl reports were that he was leaving guys in the dust.