Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grantland Article - Possible Destinations For Peyton

KyFan18

http://www.grantland...-peyton-manning

This is, by far, the most thoughtful piece I've read on the possibility of Manning ending up somewhere else, either through a trade or free agency. That being said, I continue to hope and believe #18 is back in horseshoe blue next year.

Rule out four..

Dallas, NYJ....Baltimore and KC because they would have to dump 8-figure contract QBs on some other team (it wouldnt be Indy) and they would have to be certain they could do that.

Manning and Harbaugh is possible...

..actually Denver is more likely than the rest because its obvious that Tim Tebow will never be a top passer...

..but that trade would be Tebow for Luck.

If we had a typical pro sports team owner I might agree that Peyton would be traded/released, but we don't. Weather that is good or bad, Jim Irsay is a unique person and I do believe that Peyton will be a Colt until Peyton decides he doesn't want to play anymore....

this guy said that the Raiders have a franchise QB....ReallY?

He specifically said that Palmer isn't really a franchise QB but that the Raiders are treating him like one by giving up all that they did to get him. They are not going to give up on him this soon for what it costs to get him.

He specifically said that Palmer isn't really a franchise QB but that the Raiders are treating him like one by giving up all that they did to get him. They are not going to give up on him this soon for what it costs to get him.

But KC would give up on Cassell and his 8-figure deal?..

Curious logic...but like dn says.

There is NO CHANCE that Peyton Manning will not be in Indy next season...

Curious logic...but like dn says.

There is NO CHANCE that Peyton Manning will not be in Indy next season...

Cassell has had multiple seasons in KC. Palmer just got to Oakland. I dunno. The Raiders are funny about stuff like that.

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:28 PM

1. New York Jets

2. Dallas Cowboys

3. Baltimore Ravens

4. San Francisco

Its going to be about him winning SuperBowls.. why would he go to Miami, Washington, or Denver? All those four teams have great defenses, and the offensive pieces in place, just lack continuity at the quarterback position.

1. New York Jets

2. Dallas Cowboys

3. Baltimore Ravens

4. San Francisco

Its going to be about him winning SuperBowls.. why would he go to Miami, Washington, or Denver? All those four teams have great defenses, and the offensive pieces in place, just lack continuity at the quarterback position.

God would tell him to come to Denver :thmup:

Curious logic...

Cassell has had multiple seasons in KC. Palmer just got to Oakland. I dunno. The Raiders are funny about stuff like that.

Not only that, but they gave up a bunch of the draft picks that any trade for Manning would necessarily require. They are effectively not able to swing that type of deal.

GreenBay will win it all, but I agree if the Ravens make the Super Bowl, Flacco will get his long term deal. I have to tell you as a Baltimore native, when I listen to their sports talk radio, they love the idea of Manning coming to Baltimore! Jerry Jones put a waiver claim in for Kyle Orton, Dallas isn't even gonna make the playoffs, Romo is not a leader and they hate him in Dallas, I could see him there.. I see in order of possibility

San Fran

Dallas

NY Jets

Baltimore

Tell us why it wouldn't make sense to keep Peyton?

What? I want the Colts to keep Peyton*, I want them to trade the Luck pick and rebuild the holes in this team. I said it wouldn't make sense to draft Luck and keep Manning, but I don't want Luck. Think maybe your interpreting what I am saying wrong? But there are many reasons why keeping both is not fiesable, even with the reduced rookie wage scale, their is still too great of a hit on the cap from the QB position, especially with all the holes on this team! How is one draft after taking a position where the Colts have no direct need (QB) going to fill all the holes i.e. G,T,LB,DT,CB,SS..DE,WR?

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/12339/the-possible-destinations-for-one-peyton-manning

This is, by far, the most thoughtful piece I've read on the possibility of Manning ending up somewhere else, either through a trade or free agency. That being said, I continue to hope and believe #18 is back in horseshoe blue next year.

The main point doesn't seem to be well thought out.

Peyton will be a Colt next year or retired. Irsay will not just release him and Manning wont demand a trade or release. Why outsiders can't understand this is beyond me. IMO they are trying to make this story more exciting then it is. Manning going to another team would be the biggest story of the year.

1. New York Jets

2. Dallas Cowboys

3. Baltimore Ravens

4. San Francisco

Nicely done :thmsup:

What? I want the Colts to keep Peyton*, I want them to trade the Luck pick and rebuild the holes in this team. I said it wouldn't make sense to draft Luck and keep Manning, but I don't want Luck. Think maybe your interpreting what I am saying wrong? But there are many reasons why keeping both is not fiesable, even with the reduced rookie wage scale, their is still too great of a hit on the cap from the QB position, especially with all the holes on this team! How is one draft after taking a position where the Colts have no direct need (QB) going to fill all the holes i.e. G,T,LB,DT,CB,SS..DE,WR?

Polian will never fill the holes because honestly I think the man is too arrogant to admit that there are any.

Also, if the Colts make Luck (or some other quarterback) the #1 pick overall and keep Manning as the starter then this draft will actually do less to prepare the team for a short term championship run than any draft of the last decade because the team will basically have the 33rd pick of the 1st 6 rounds looking for someone to get on the field in the short term.

Manning has carried this 0-13 football team long enough.

It is time to liberate the man to pursue a few more championships to cement his legacy.

If the Ravens win it all this year which I think is likely I dont see them taking Manning. Romo isn't bad and is quietly having a very good season. I could see Manning in SF or NY.

Romo can look very good, then break your heart (if you are a Cowboy fan) when it's time to step up. I think Jerry is still sold on Romo, but Peyton would be great with big, fast receivers like Bryant and Austin and a great Vol, Whitten, at TE.

Polian will never fill the holes because honestly I think the man is too arrogant to admit that there are any.

Also, if the Colts make Luck (or some other quarterback) the #1 pick overall and keep Manning as the starter then this draft will actually do less to prepare the team for a short term championship run than any draft of the last decade because the team will basically have the 33rd pick of the 1st 6 rounds looking for someone to get on the field in the short term.

Manning has carried this 0-13 football team long enough.

It is time to liberate the man to pursue a few more championships to cement his legacy.

Yeah and thats a problem. I am hoping all the articles about choosing either Peyton or the Polians are accurate... With the Polians gone, maybe someone much wiser could come in here and make appropriate decisions, to help build this team, while hopefully adding a few more championships to deem Peyton as the greatest of all time!

Romo can look very good, then break your heart (if you are a Cowboy fan) when it's time to step up. I think Jerry is still sold on Romo, but Peyton would be great with big, fast receivers like Bryant and Austin and a great Vol, Whitten, at TE.

I have no doubt that Jones would pull a big move like this, but Romo's contract complicates things alot.

Give Peyton those weapons though, and he'd seriously light it up the scoreboard.

He's not going anywhere. Sorry for those of you who want him gone; it's just not happening.

I think the only people who want Manning in a different uniform are in sports journalism. Why do you think some our colts fans want him gone? There's a couple of Manning fans that want to "liberate " him but other than that I don't see it.

This thread just shows that people like fiction, it stirs the imagination.

I agree that Manning is a Colt till he's retired.

Peyton has always said he wants to retire a Colt. Irsay knows this and wants this to happen. The only question is Manning's health. IF healthy, I don't see him going anywhere and I still see us drafting his heir in the draft. The media can keep stirring this up all they want but ultimately the decision will be made by Irsay and Manning.

I thinking cutting Peyton Manning would be the last straw for a lot of fans with the Colts. Also BIll Polian would become known as the guy who cut Peyton Manning for the rest of his career. I don't see Polian letting that become his legacy. It also puts a LOT of pressure on Luck and almost puts him in a no win situation. He will be expected by the fanbase and compared to Manning from day one and if he isn't as good as Manning is right now right off the bat the fan base is going to turn on him quickly.

Add to that Jim Irsay saying he wants Peyton Manning here more than once if he's healthy and Peyton Manning is going to be here. Irsay seems to want Manning and Luck and regardless of what Polian wants if the owner tells him that's what he wants he's going to get it.

Also to the person who said it doesn't make much sense to have Luck and Manning on the same roster I disagree with that opinion. Frankly for the COLTS I think it makes the most sense. The Colts will have protected themselves in case Manning still isn't ready by the start of next season or just isn't the same as he was before the injury. They will have also secured their QB of the future and if Luck pans out the way he is being hyped done something very rare replaced one Hall of Fame QB with another and given the other a chance to learn from the guy he has been compared too. They will have also protected themselves in case Luck turns out to be a bust.

I know people say Luck is too good to let sit on the bench but frankly the Colts aren't in the business in doing what is in the best interest of Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning for that matter. They are in business to do what is best for them and I think that is having your all world QB while getting yourself your next QB on the future and having him learn from your all world QB and in a couple of years dealing with the Manning/Luck situaton when you know where both of them are at.

This is a QB driven league and when you have a chance to get one who is supposed to be the next great one you take him and deal with the situation once you have him. If you don't could very well spend the next 15 years asking what in the world was our GM thinking?

I thinking cutting Peyton Manning would be the last straw for a lot of fans with the Colts. Also BIll Polian would become known as the guy who cut Peyton Manning for the rest of his career. I don't see Polian letting that become his legacy. It also puts a LOT of pressure on Luck and almost puts him in a no win situation. He will be expected by the fanbase and compared to Manning from day one and if he isn't as good as Manning is right now right off the bat the fan base is going to turn on him quickly.

Add to that Jim Irsay saying he wants Peyton Manning here more than once if he's healthy and Peyton Manning is going to be here. Irsay seems to want Manning and Luck and regardless of what Polian wants if the owner tells him that's what he wants he's going to get it.

Also to the person who said it doesn't make much sense to have Luck and Manning on the same roster I disagree with that opinion. Frankly for the COLTS I think it makes the most sense. The Colts will have protected themselves in case Manning still isn't ready by the start of next season or just isn't the same as he was before the injury. They will have also secured their QB of the future and if Luck pans out the way he is being hyped done something very rare replaced one Hall of Fame QB with another and given the other a chance to learn from the guy he has been compared too. They will have also protected themselves in case Luck turns out to be a bust.

I know people say Luck is too good to let sit on the bench but frankly the Colts aren't in the business in doing what is in the best interest of Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning for that matter. They are in business to do what is best for them and I think that is having your all world QB while getting yourself your next QB on the future and having him learn from your all world QB and in a couple of years dealing with the Manning/Luck situaton when you know where both of them are at.

This is a QB driven league and when you have a chance to get one who is supposed to be the next great one you take him and deal with the situation once you have him. If you don't could very well spend the next 15 years asking what in the world was our GM thinking?

Yeah I am the one who said it, has been saying it, and will continue to say it! If Peyton Manning is healthy, you do not draft Luck, plain and simple. You are securing your QB spot, that already has the games best! So it's going to be the same sorry team, with the greatest of all time, and the greatest of all hype on the roster.. So what does that do for the team to improve it? NOTHING, BECAUSE YOUR #1 OVERALL PICK IS SITTING ON THE BENCH HOLDING PEYTONS CLIPBOARD! Once you get passed the thrid and fourth road, guys are project picks typically at that point, and usually not instant starters, thats traditionally ofcourse, and there are always exceptions, so how is taking Luck, and then two more starters going to improve this team that is full of holes? It's obviously not going to! And paying two Qb's, rookie wage scale or not, keeps free agents from coming to Indy to help bolster this pathetic and soft roster.. so Obviously I am the one who has been saying this from day one, will continue to stand by it, and being an outside Colt fan, I can see the flaws on this team, that most of you diehard hommers can't see!

Yeah I am the one who said it, has been saying it, and will continue to say it! If Peyton Manning is healthy, you do not draft Luck, plain and simple. You are securing your QB spot, that already has the games best! So it's going to be the same sorry team, with the greatest of all time, and the greatest of all hype on the roster.. So what does that do for the team to improve it? NOTHING, BECAUSE YOUR #1 OVERALL PICK IS SITTING ON THE BENCH HOLDING PEYTONS CLIPBOARD! Once you get passed the thrid and fourth road, guys are project picks typically at that point, and usually not instant starters, thats traditionally ofcourse, and there are always exceptions, so how is taking Luck, and then two more starters going to improve this team that is full of holes? It's obviously not going to! And paying two Qb's, rookie wage scale or not, keeps free agents from coming to Indy to help bolster this pathetic and soft roster.. so Obviously I am the one who has been saying this from day one, will continue to stand by it, and being an outside Colt fan, I can see the flaws on this team, that most of you diehard hommers can't see!

What is this biggest problem that faces this team this year? The QB poistion. If that was fixed this team would be a lot better. I left out the part where if even in base case scenario that if Manning comes back and is like he was before that probably means we aren't going to be in poistion to get another "great" QB when Manning retires without having to go threw a season like this again and if we do there is no promise the QB that will be there will be as good as Luck is supposed to be, see guys like Alex Smith, Jamarcus Russel, or Tim Couch, all QBs taken number one over all since Manning came into the league and have been busts.

Also some people are acting like this is the ONLY first round pick we are ever going to have again. We can address other needs in the future. If we trade the pick we are going to get at most two or three extra picks that's not going to be enough to fix every single hole on this team in one draft and one of those picks will still probably be a QB because if you listen to the noise coming out of the Colts camp it's clear the Colts want a QB in this draft, that's not being a homer that's listening to what people who get paid to cover the Colts are telling us they are going to do. If we are going to draft a QB high anyways to be our QB of the future then it makes the most sense to take the best one you can.

Like I said we are going to have other picks not only in this draft but in future drafts. Hopefully those are later first round picks and you know what over the course of his career Polian has proven to be good at finding good players in the back half of the first round. Yes I know he's had his misses lately but everyone is going to have a slump at some point. I think this year's draft class is starting to show signs of coming out of that and hopefuly that means he can return to his drafting ways when he got guys like Clark and Wayne in the back half of the first round. Also it's going to be easier to fill other needs like WR, CB, and DT in the back half of the first round and later rounds than it is going to be to find a QB who can be a franchise type of QB at the end of the first round or in later rounds.

Also the Colts are trying to build a team that can not only win next year but years in the future. Drafting Luck should help that. Again this isn't about doing what is best for Peyton Manning so he can win a Super Bowl NOW and then have the team fall apart when he retires or what is best for Andrew Luck by letting him play right away. It's about doing what is best for the Colts and putting yourself in a poistion where you should have a franchise QB for at least another 10 to 15 years helps the Colts over the long haul.

So yes there is a very good case for taking Luck even with having Manning on our roster. I've laid it out for you twice now. If you disagree with it that's fine that's your right. Just because I disagree with you though does not make me a homer and if you are going to go to name calling like you did at the end of your post I am just going to ingore them from now on because there is no point.