My (non-ideal but somewhat realistic) offseason

Cuts:

LaRon Landry - performance based

Shaun Phillips - Not worth his cap figure

Lance Louis - Crowding at guard

Donald Thomas - Can't count on him being healthy

Suprising Keeps:

Gosder Cherilus - When he's healthy, he's well worth keeping

Trent Richardson - I may be the only Colt's fan who still holds out hope, but I'm counting on a contract year to bring out his potential.  Will be a backup until he can prove something.

Josh Cribbs - An offseason is plenty of time for someone to teach him how to wave his hand above his head.

Re-Signs:

Cory Redding - Two year contract to keep a leader (paid to start first year, but not second)

Mike Adams - Earned at least another year

Sergio Brown - We need a body, and he has a great locker room personality

Darius Butler - Great slot corner

Also re-sign as many depth players as possible (don't want to list them all).

Free Agent Signings:

Frank Gore - People may not like this, but he's a temporary fill and still a dangerous player.  May have expressed interest in heading here.  Runs exactly like Pagano wants and catches and blocks well.

Mike Iupati - We can get him if Grigson makes him a top priority

I looked at defensive players, but it's hard to see most of them being worth the money they would want.  Because of this, our draft is going to be D heavy (hopefully our defensive version of our 2012 draft).

Draft:

Round 1:  Our games against the Pats left D-Line as our biggest weakness in my eyes.  We also need Redding's successor.

Arik Armstead, DE Oregon

Round 2:  We need to upgrade the pass rush (even with Mathis returning).  If I were ever going to trade back, this is the round I would do it (only if both options are left available, which they probably will be).

Option A: Hau'oli Kikaha, OLB Washington

Option B: Lorenzo Mauldin, OLB Louisville

Round 3:  Inside linebacker needs to be addressed, but I expect a few good 3-4 ILB prospects to last at least this far.  Option A may be here (people will say he'll never last this long, but he's all over draft boards).  Option B would be a great player for us if we can upgrade the D-Line (I would actually prefer him out of the two).

Option A: Paul Dawson, ILB TCU

Option B: Pullard Hayes, ILB USC

Round 4:  Offensive line needs to be addressed as far as solid depth at Tackle goes.  I expect a few good RT prospects to last until here.

Option A: Corey Robinson, OT South Carolina

Option B: Rob Havenstein, OT Wisconsin

Round 5:  We need a safety to build for the future.

Clayton Geathers, S Central Florida

Round 6:  Picking players who have upside in our system.

First pick:  Matt Jones, RB Florida

Second Pick:  Terry Williams, NT East Carolina

Round 7:  Shot in the dark who could provide depth and fits our system well.

Justin Coleman, CB Tennessee

I like any draft that includes Havenstein.  I think this guy will be like Diem or Free... a guy who shows up to work every day and provides a solid RT so the team doesn't have to worry about the position for years.

I don't like the Arik pick though.  I have learned over the years that college success does not necessarily translate into NFL success but lack of success in college always means lack of success in the pros.  And for someone of Arik's physical tools he just was not very productive at the college level.  Now if he falls to the 3rd round or so, then you draft him, knowing it may take a year or so to get productive minutes from him  But not as a first rounder.

I like any draft that includes Havenstein.  I think this guy will be like Diem or Free... a guy who shows up to work every day and provides a solid RT so the team doesn't have to worry about the position for years.

I don't like the Arik pick though.  I have learned over the years that college success does not necessarily translate into NFL success but lack of success in college always means lack of success in the pros.  And for someone of Arik's physical tools he just was not very productive at the college level.  Now if he falls to the 3rd round or so, then you draft him, knowing it may take a year or so to get productive minutes from him  But not as a first rounder.

Off the top of my head, Clay Mathews is one exception to that.  There are others.  I think Arik is worth the gamble.

We absolutely have to sign a couple good defensive players.

I thought about adding a DT (Pot Roast or Dan Williams) and a safety (Landry or Lowery), but I don't see us signing any of them. I wanted to go with what I thought would be realistic over what I hope to happen. I agree with you whole-heartedly that we could improve by signing a few defensive free agents.

Cuts:

LaRon Landry - performance based

Shaun Phillips - Not worth his cap figure

Lance Louis - Crowding at guard

Donald Thomas - Can't count on him being healthy

Why do you and at least one other poster of note want to cut Lance Louis?!?

He started the last 3 regular season games, including the game vs. Texas where the line pitched a shutout against JJ Watt.

And then he started the 3 playoff games.

In all he started 7 games during the entire year.

He makes a million bucks, which is chump change.

And for some odd reason,  you want to cut him?    Because of crowding?    Who else is crowding him out?

He started the last 3 regular season games, including the game vs. Texas where the line pitched a shutout against JJ Watt.

And for some odd reason,  you want to cut him?    Because of crowding?    Who else is crowding him out?

Agreed.

If he can't make the team in camp, that's one thing. To cut him before then is strange. He's not expensive, and we have 90 roster spots to fill. Every position will be crowded.

I wouldn't pencil him in as a day one starter, but I still think Cherilus can start and do well next year. I think Havenstein could become a great RT as long as he's not asked to zone block.

I disagree on Cherilus, but if you've seen my mock, you know that. 

As for Havenstein, I haven't watched him, but I think our linemen need to be able to do some zone blocking. If it were up to me, we'd do a lot more than we do, but we do have some zone stuff in the book. 

You make a good point. He did passably well in those games (better than Thornton was playing at the time). In my scenario, he is being crowded out by Iupati and Thornton. I'm not saying we should cut him on day one, but I still expect him to be made expendable sometime during the offseason.

You make a good point. He did passably well in those games (better than Thornton was playing at the time). In my scenario, he is being crowded out by Iupati and Thornton. I'm not saying we should cut him on day one, but I still expect him to be made expendable sometime during the offseason.

Fair enough.....   Honestly,  I didn't see that you had the Colts also signing Iupoti.    That would've explained a lot to me.

I would still want to keep him as a quality back-up.   I played pretty well for the Colts this year.    All things considered,  I think he's earned a roster spot.   Certainly on the 90,  and even under your scenario,  I think he's got a good chance of the 53.

Fair enough.....   Honestly,  I didn't see that you had the Colts also signing Iupoti.    That would've explained a lot to me.

I would still want to keep him as a quality back-up.   I played pretty well for the Colts this year.    All things considered,  I think he's earned a roster spot.   Certainly on the 90,  and even under your scenario,  I think he's got a good chance of the 53.

"I played pretty well for the Colts this year"

That would explain 1 of the Colts O Line issues ;)  :lol:  :funny:  Personnel problems

Agree I think Louis earned a new contract with us!

I disagree on Cherilus, but if you've seen my mock, you know that. 

As for Havenstein, I haven't watched him, but I think our linemen need to be able to do some zone blocking. If it were up to me, we'd do a lot more than we do, but we do have some zone stuff in the book.

I saw your mock, and I think it was well thought out. I notice that you did not cut Cherilus until after the draft (where you had already selected a quality replacement). In my draft, we get a quality backup who could be groomed into a replacement. I chose to keep Cherilus because I think a healthy Cherilus is better than any of the free agent RTs this year, and I did not feel comfortable handing the starting job to anyone else currently under contract or in my draft.

I thought about adding a DT (Pot Roast or Dan Williams) and a safety (Landry or Lowery), but I don't see us signing any of them. I wanted to go with what I thought would be realistic over what I hope to happen. I agree with you whole-heartedly that we could improve by signing a few defensive free agents.

Yeah I got ya, but I just don't see any scenario where we don't bring in any defensive free agents. I kind of expect Grigs to look at guys like Cedric Thornton (even though he's a RFA) Louis Delmas, Bruce Carter, and Terrence Knighton. 

I saw your mock, and I think it was well thought out. I notice that you did not cut Cherilus until after the draft (where you had already selected a quality replacement). In my draft, we get a quality backup who could be groomed into a replacement. I chose to keep Cherilus because I think a healthy Cherilus is better than any of the free agent RTs this year, and I did not feel comfortable handing the starting job to anyone else currently under contract or in my draft.

I just don't have faith that Cherilus will be healthy again, certainly through an entire season. I think his knee is going to seriously bother him for the rest of his career. 

Keeping TRich and signing a 32 yr old RB with a lot of miles......I'll pass

It's not ideal, but I don't expect us to solve all of our problems this offseason. We don't get a day one starter at RB in my draft (although I expect Matt Jones to do well in a system like ours), and I find bidding on Murray or Spiller to be implausible. The only other option I find as realistic is re-signing Bradshaw; but, unless he can find a way to stay healthy, he doesn't improve our situation too much.

And for some odd reason, you want to cut him? Because of crowding? Who else is crowding him out?

Shutout JJ Watt? I missed that performance

7 tackles, 2 sacks, 3 TFL, 3 pass defensed and a FB rec. TD

6 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 TFL, 1 pass defensed

Louis started both games

Must be a really low bar if either of those games were a shutout, but I'm with you on everything else

Shutout JJ Watt? I missed that performance

7 tackles, 2 sacks, 3 TFL, 3 pass defensed and a FB rec. TD

6 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 TFL, 1 pass defensed

Louis started both games

Must be a really low bar if either of those games were a shutout, but I'm with you on everything else

I'll double check the stat lines,  but Watt was shutout by Louis....    Watt may have gotten those sacks against another o-lineman.  They did NOT come against Louis.

I'll double check the stat lines, but Watt was shutout by Louis.... Watt may have gotten those sacks against another o-lineman. They did NOT come against Louis.

Oh well you said the line pitched a shutout with him in the lineup, I was just going by what you said

He may be a first round talent.   But he's got enough Red Flags around him to sail a large ship!   And those may prevent him from being taken in the first round.    That,  plus the fact he's only 230,  may keep him out of the first round.

Agreed. I put him in the n the third, because that is what I believe he should be valued. And the more I watch or read about Hayes, the more I think he'd be the best value fit for our system.

Agreed. I put him in the n the third, because that is what I believe he should be valued. And the more I watch or read about Hayes, the more I think he'd be the best value fit for our system.

Oh,  you mean Pullard?

Actually,  his name is Hayes Pullard,   not Pullard Hayes...

And I don't think he's worth a 3rd....   maybe a 4th or a 5th...

I'll be honest. I'd be cool with Kikaha in the 2nd. I wanted to give Werner another season but there are some really good OLB prospects that can probably beat him out for the SAM OLB spot.

Call me crazy but I like Hau'Oli Kikaha better than Nate Orchard and some of these other guys people are

projecting for us to draft. Dude seems to be super quick off the edge.  Just seems to run right by people.

I've even watched blow through double teams on the way to the qb.

Call me crazy but I like Hau'Oli Kikaha better than Nate Orchard and some of these other guys people are

projecting for us to draft. Dude seems to be super quick off the edge.  Just seems to run right by people.

I've even watched blow through double teams on the way to the qb.

I agree. I think Kikaha is the better pass rusher by far. He can also play the run, but Orchard also looked really good against the run in the Senior Bowl . I'd take Kikaha over Orchard though. I was against us drafting an OLB for awhile but I'd gladly take Kikaha 2nd round. Guy is just too good to pass up.

I agree. I think Kikaha is the better pass rusher by far. He can also play the run, but Orchard also looked really good against the run in the Senior Bowl . I'd take Kikaha over Orchard though. I was against us drafting an OLB for awhile but I'd gladly take Kikaha 2nd round. Guy is just too good to pass up.

Kikaha is the quickest one I've seen so far and that includes Vic Beasley.  I noticed him in the Senior Bowl when I was watching.

I need to study him more against the run, but he's the fastest of the pass rushers I've seen so far.

Oh,  you mean Pullard?

Actually,  his name is Hayes Pullard,   not Pullard Hayes...

And I don't think he's worth a 3rd....   maybe a 4th or a 5th...

Ha!  I completely missed that on every website I've visited!  I guess when something gets stuck in your head, you start to overlook it.

And most sites I've seen would agree with you about him.  I mostly see him projected towards the front end or middle of the fourth round.  I picked him on the third, because I don't think he'll make it to our late fourth. 

I'm getting more and more convinced that Grigson targets players instead of taking who falls to him.  I could see Pullard being the type of player he targets.

Ha!  I completely missed that on every website I've visited!  I guess when something gets stuck in your head, you start to overlook it.

And most sites I've seen would agree with you about him.  I mostly see him projected towards the front end or middle of the fourth round.  I picked him on the third, because I don't think he'll make it to our late fourth. 

I'm getting more and more convinced that Grigson targets players instead of taking who falls to him.  I could see Pullard being the type of player he targets.

I was just getting ready to make a topic on Pullard, then I see this. I just watched 2 of his tapes and I don't understand why no one is talking about him. This guy is fantastic in coverage. That's what jumped out to me immediately when I watched him. Second, he looks very instinctive out there. Get's to the ball carrier fast and tackles very securely. He's always near the ball at least. Can't believe no one is talking about this guy.

I was just getting ready to make a topic on Pullard, then I see this. I just watched 2 of his tapes and I don't understand why no one is talking about him. This guy is fantastic in coverage. That's what jumped out to me immediately when I watched him. Second, he looks very instinctive out there. Get's to the ball carrier fast and tackles very securely. He's always near the ball at least. Can't believe no one is talking about this guy.

The biggest knock on him that I can find is that he's small and he doesn't shed blocks well, but that shouldn't be an issue in our scheme.  Kikaha and Pullard are the two players I feel strongest about in my draft.

The biggest knock on him that I can find is that he's small and he doesn't shed blocks well, but that shouldn't be an issue in our scheme.  Kikaha and Pullard are the two players I feel strongest about in my draft.

I don't care about size. Every ILB in this draft seems to be undersized except McKinney, and he's not even the best ILB in this draft. People say Perryman and Kendricks are both said to be undersized. But there are a lot of 3-4 ILB's in the NFL that are 6'1" and under. And learning to shed blocks is something most guys have to learn how to do at the next level.

I don't care about size. Every ILB in this draft seems to be undersized except McKinney, and he's not even the best ILB in this draft. People say Perryman and Kendricks are both said to be undersized. But there are a lot of 3-4 ILB's in the NFL that are 6'1" and under. And learning to shed blocks is something most guys have to learn how to do at the next level.

That's why Chris Borland was so successful before he got injured, He is only 5'11" but is really good at shedding blocks