Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My (non-ideal but somewhat realistic) offseason

That's why Chris Borland was so successful before he got injured, He is only 5'11" but is really good at shedding blocks

I don't know where this idea that 3-4 ILB's need to be huge beasts comes from. If anything, a 4-3 is where you want your MLB to be 6'4". Funny thing about Borland is that he plays for the 49ers, who have Willis and Bowman who are both about 6'0" even. As long as you're instinctive it doesn't matter. In a 3-4 the NT is supposed to occupy as many lineman as possible so it frees the LB's up to make plays, which means guys like Borland won't have to shed blocks as much anyways.

Ha!  I completely missed that on every website I've visited!  I guess when something gets stuck in your head, you start to overlook it.

And most sites I've seen would agree with you about him.  I mostly see him projected towards the front end or middle of the fourth round.  I picked him on the third, because I don't think he'll make it to our late fourth. 

I'm getting more and more convinced that Grigson targets players instead of taking who falls to him.  I could see Pullard being the type of player he targets.

Nice post.

I think in the last two drafts,  Grigson has mostly targeted players and NOT gone BPA.    I think the only player that BPA was Moncrief.

Otherwise,  I think in the 2013 draft,  Werner, Thornton, Holmes, Hughes,  Boyett and Williams were all targets.

And in 2014,  I think Mewhort, Newsome, Jackson and John were all targets.

I'm not ready to write-off the '13,  but those guys really have to step up their game this coming season.   They're not on scholarship anymore.    It's time to produce.

Nice post.

I think in the last two drafts,  Grigson has mostly targeted players and NOT gone BPA.    I think the only player that BPA was Moncrief.

Otherwise,  I think in the 2013 draft,  Werner, Thornton, Holmes, Hughes,  Boyett and Williams were all targets.

And in 2014,  I think Mewhort, Newsome, Jackson and John were all targets.

I'm not ready to write-off the '13,  but those guys really have to step up their game this coming season.   They're not on scholarship anymore.    It's time to produce.

I agree with almost every player you listed with the exception being Werner.  I think they honestly weren't expecting him to fall that far and it threw some confusion into Grigson's planning. 

I would even throw Fleener, Hilton, and Brazill in there (at the least).

Also, I figured I would try fan speak a few times to see if my draft could play out.  The best results were:

29: R1P29
DT DANNY SHELTON
WASHINGTON
61: R2P29
OLB HAUOLI KIKAHA
WASHINGTON
93: R3P29
ILB HAYES PULLARD
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
125: R4P29
OT ROB HAVENSTEIN
WISCONSIN
157: R5P29
S ADRIAN AMOS
PENN STATE
189: R6P29
RB KARLOS WILLIAMS
FLORIDA STATE
191: R6P31
DT DARIUS PHILON
ARKANSAS
219: R7P27
CB JUSTIN COLEMAN
TENNESSEE

My first round pick (Arik Armstead) was available, but if Danny Shelton is there, I'm taking him.

My fifth round pick (Clayton Geathers) keeps going in the fourth round to the Cowboys.

My first sixth round pick (Matt Jones) keeps getting taken a few picks before us.

My second sixth round pick (Terry Williams) doesn't even appear to be an option.

Other than that, It seems we could pull my draft off.  Other than losing Matt Jones, I'm not too upset with the replacements that could be had.

You (and Xavier Nixon's release) have also convinced me to keep Lance Louis if I make a revision.

I agree with almost every player you listed with the exception being Werner.  I think they honestly weren't expecting him to fall that far and it threw some confusion into Grigson's planning. 

I would even throw Fleener, Hilton, and Brazill in there (at the least).

Also, I figured I would try fan speak a few times to see if my draft could play out.  The best results were:

29: R1P29
DT DANNY SHELTON
WASHINGTON
61: R2P29
OLB HAUOLI KIKAHA
WASHINGTON
93: R3P29
ILB HAYES PULLARD
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
125: R4P29
OT ROB HAVENSTEIN
WISCONSIN
157: R5P29
S ADRIAN AMOS
PENN STATE
189: R6P29
RB KARLOS WILLIAMS
FLORIDA STATE
191: R6P31
DT DARIUS PHILON
ARKANSAS
219: R7P27
CB JUSTIN COLEMAN
TENNESSEE

My first round pick (Arik Armstead) was available, but if Danny Shelton is there, I'm taking him.

My fifth round pick (Clayton Geathers) keeps going in the fourth round to the Cowboys.

My first sixth round pick (Matt Jones) keeps getting taken a few picks before us.

My second sixth round pick (Terry Williams) doesn't even appear to be an option.

Other than that, It seems we could pull my draft off.  Other than losing Matt Jones, I'm not too upset with the replacements that could be had.

You (and Xavier Nixon's release) have also convinced me to keep Lance Louis if I make a revision.

I think if the draft happens and your haul is what the Colts end up with,  there will be champagne bottles being popped open all over Indianapolis!!

The Colts will be the happiest of all 32 NFL teams.

It would be the home run of home runs.

I'm not expecting this to happen....   just wanted to say nice job of picking what the computer is offering.    But I don't think it's very realistic.

I'll be honest, I love the Kikaha pick. I think he's a terrific prospect who plays with intensity and a solid motor.

Not crazy about the rest of the draft. I'd like to see us move for a RB in the 3rd or 4th instead of signing Gore. And I would cut Trent.