Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Similarities between Derek Jeter and Tom Brady

amfootball

I was talking with a friend this week who is a big Yankees/Jeter fan and he was saying to me how Brady's win last week reminded him of how much Jeter's and Brady's career have been similar. Jeter won 4 championships to start his career and then one more late in 2009. Brady won 3 rings early and now has added #4 late in his career.

There are so many parallels between these two guys from their great play, leadership, championship runs and ability to capture the heart of their respective cities. I have to admit that even though I loathe the Yankees, Jeter was one of all my time favorite players. It will be tough watching baseball without him this season. My friend admitted to me that he is already not feeling the same passion for the team without Jeter. Some guys, some players just transcend the sport to all time levels.

I was talking with a friend this week who is a big Yankees/Jeter fan and he was saying to me how Brady's win last week reminded him of how much Jeter's and Brady's career have been similar. Jeter won 4 championships to start his career and then one more late in 2009. Brady won 3 rings early and now has added #4 late in his career.

There are so many parallels between these two guys from their great play, leadership, championship runs and ability to capture the heart of their respective cities. I have to admit that even though I loathe the Yankees, Jeter was one of all my time favorite players. It will be tough watching baseball without him this season. My friend admitted to me that he is already not feeling the same passion for the team without Jeter. Some guys, some players just transcend the sport to all time levels.

:brady:  :flyingelvis:  :sick:  :groan:  :puke:

No comparison what so ever in my opinion. ;)

You do know in the baseball world Jeter is known to be one of the worst defensive shortstops? He if highly overrated and possibly the worst of the "core four."

Of he didn't have Tori and the Yankees he would be a nobody.

Yes, you have a point but he had a much longer career at SS than Nomar or Arod. I would not call him one of the worst by any means but not the best either. I do think he made it up for though situationally. He had the knack for making the big play in the biggest moments.

Yes, you have a point but he had a much longer career at SS than Nomar or Arod. I would not call him one of the worst by any means but not the best either. I do think he made it up for though situationally. He had the knack for making the big play in the biggest moments.

No Jeter is definitely one of the worst defensive SS in baseball. He only has GGs because he is a Yankee. He didn't deserve them and everyone knows that. His greatest play only happened because he was in the wrong spot in the first place.

All Jeter has is longevity and class. He did it the right way. So I just don't to see the comparison.

No Jeter is definitely one of the worst defensive SS in baseball. He only has GGs because he is a Yankee. He didn't deserve them and everyone knows that. His greatest play only happened because he was in the wrong spot in the first place.

All Jeter has is longevity and class. He did it the right way. So I just don't to see the comparison.

He did have over 3000 hits and a World Series MVP. I agree to some extent about his success being predicated on being a Yankee but they were in a long drought before he came along. He was a big reason they dominated baseball in the late 90's early '00s.

In terms of the Brady comparison, it is a bit of apples to oranges because baseball is so individualistic and Jeter was not a pitcher or catcher who control more of the game than a position player and Brady of course plays QB which is the position that controls the most in football. But still, I think there are some unique similarities between them both on and off the field.

Jeter may not be as great as some make him out to be, but he really was very good offensively. Factor in the big market and the postseason hero stuff and you get the Jeter known today

And yeah, defense wasn't his good area haha the only reasons people think he was good at defense are the jump-throw and the gold gloves.

Still, great player and definite HOF'er.

I was going to reply with almost the same thing, so instead i'll say +1

Case dismissed.  Straight up Fx. :thmup:

You do know in the baseball world Jeter is known to be one of the worst defensive shortstops? He if highly overrated and possibly the worst of the "core four."

It always annoyed me that Jeter won 5 Gold Gloves.

perfect comparison cause Brady wouldn't be anything without Bill and the Patriots

I didn't realize so many here thought so little of Jeter. I really felt like he was a special player with all the intangibles you look for in a leader/player. He was certainly not the best of his era but he put up some gaudy offensive numbers and of course the 5 rings.

Call me a biased homer but I am a Yankee fan. I am not afraid to admit it :).

Jeter did have good leadership qualities and came with plenty of clutch hits in the playoffs when they needed them. Yeah, the pitchers get to steal the limelight a lot in the playoffs and a lot of Yankees fans will probably tell you Andy Pettite and Mariano Rivera won more clutch playoff games than Jeter did, which is true. Jeter however fit in, no matter which cast he was around. That is the hallmark of a true team player and he had the respect of his teammates and opposing players equally, IMO. 

Plus, the Yankees won more early because under Torre, they played small ball real well. All those pesky small ball hitters like Paul O' Neill, Tino Martinez, Chuck Knoblauch, Bernie Williams etc. along with Jeter made the Yankees a TEAM opposed to what they have been putting on the field lately, just my opinion.

I'm not sure if there is an equal to Tom Brady in the sports world...a guy no one believed in, very late round pick who had to compete against a number one overall pick his entire career, and ended up with 4 championships...and he's not even done yet.

I didn't realize so many here thought so little of Jeter. I really felt like he was a special player with all the intangibles you look for in a leader/player. He was certainly not the best of his era but he put up some gaudy offensive numbers and of course the 5 rings.

All of that is true. I just think most feel he is overrated by the talking heads. Who was much better than him during his prime? I heard you mention Nomar up there, but he didn't really have longevity in his career.

All of that is true. I just think most feel he is overrated by the talking heads. Who was much better than him during his prime? I heard you mention Nomar up there, but he didn't really have longevity in his career.

Yeah, maybe the talking heads went over the top but they do with every iconic player. I don't think anyone was better than him in his prime.

Yeah, maybe the talking heads went over the top but they do with every iconic player. I don't think anyone was better than him in his prime.

Yup, Jeter really was a special player (maybe not his defensive skills ;) ). The "Face of baseball" there for awhile. 

I can kinda see the comparison of Brady and him, but not really. I've never really seen the two in the same light. Brady was more of a late round jewel while Jeter was more expected to come out and perform.

The only similarities really are the championships, imo.

Yup, Jeter really was a special player (maybe not his defensive skills ;) ). The "Face of baseball" there for awhile. 

I can kinda see the comparison of Brady and him, but not really. I've never really seen the two in the same light. Brady was more of a late round jewel while Jeter was more expected to come out and perform.

The only similarities really are the championships, imo.

Believe it or not they compared a lot here. Most of the comparisons have more to do with the off-field similarities in terms of both of them being the face of their respective sports franchises and cities, the success at a young age, media savvy, the good looks, dating beautiful women, etc.

I do think it is more of a stretch to compare their on field except for their leadership because baseball and football really are not comparable and Brady has emerged as arguable the greatest QB of all time whereas Jeter is nowhere close to that.

Joe Montana was a round 3 pick, much like Russell Wilson, and Brady was picked even later.

To me, if anything, Brady has made the most out of the cast and luck he has had, the closest to it, IMO, in terms of cashing in with his luck is Eli and a little bit Big Ben. But Brady's consistency, longevity and regular season accomplishments sets him far apart from those two.

However, if Rodgers wins 1 or 2 more, with his high TD to INT ratio, and prolific regular season accomplishments, he can close the gap, I feel. He will still fall behind in the comebacks department. If Rodgers does not win a ring again, as a sum of all parts, Peyton is still the closest to Brady on most levels except the SB ring department.

Top 3 all-time TD to INT ratio, 4th qtr. comebacks in regular season and playoffs, SB rings, regular season prolific passing - Brady is the only one that has it all

A-Rod was a SS before coming to the Yankees...

For the record I don't hate Jeter. I actually loved watching him play. He had a great career, and he was the Captain of baseball.

I actually don't disagree with you. Brady and Jeter are very much alike.

I think if you were to make parallels between football and baseball Brady and Jeter work very well. Just like I would say Greg Maddux and Peyton Manning are very similar. Not the most athletically gifted players, but the smartest two.

As the story goes for Jeter and Maddox, one is the greatest to ever play his position on the field and one is a product of his enviroment. ;)

They ARE both two of the most overrated players in all of sports so I see the comparison there.. I think brady got carried more for his first three rings than jeter probably did though..

They are both extremely fortunate they got drafted where they did otherwise neither would have any shot of being a hall of famer.

Right, because there's no proof whatsoever to your claim.

Ya if only there was a way to see how good the pats would be without brady... Hmmm. OH WAIT there is! How did the pats do the season brady went down??? Oh ya! 11-5!

How did the colts do without manning?? Anyone remember? Oh ya! 2-14