Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign ex. CFL OG Ben Heenan

MTC

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant say if I like this or not because I have no idea who he is. I was hoping we'd sign that real good corner from the CFL who signed with the saints. At the very least though Heenan should be somebody to compete in camp. We'll still bring in a FA O Lineman too BTW, so I hope people don't get freaked out by this.

You missed him. Delvin Breaux, he owned carter in the playoffs. He signed with the saints.

Now he did break ma neck in HS ,but he seems fine.

http://www.wwltv.com/story/sports/nfl/saints/2015/02/03/saints-corner-didnt-let-broken-neck-break-his-dreams/22838259/

Every season there are always a few players who are signed from the CFL but it never seems like any of the players are QB's. Kind of surprising with how many teams in the league need a QB and there are usually only or two in the draft who are franchise QB's. Why not take a shot on a veteran who has been improving his craft north of the border?

That would be Bo Levi Mitchell of calagry or maybe reilly of Edmonton. But bo is more likely to try it.

just because the play in cfl  does mean their crappy , worthless  players.

Wrong. Michael Bishop, Chris Canty, Quncy Carter, Troy Edwards, Joe Hamilton, Lincoln Kennedy, Shawn King, Tommy Maddox, Alonzo Spellman and Mike Vanderjagt just to name a few. Matter of fact the receiver Matthews from Seattle who had the nice catches in the super bowl is an ex CFL player. Keep making yourself look uneducated.

Wrong. Michael Bishop, Chris Canty, Quncy Carter, Troy Edwards, Joe Hamilton, Lincoln Kennedy, Shawn King, Tommy Maddox, Alonzo Spellman and Mike Vanderjagt just to name a few. Matter of fact the receiver Matthews from Seattle who had the nice catches in the super bowl is an ex CFL player. Keep making yourself look uneducated.

And browner on the pats team. He now has a SB ring and a Grey Cup ring.

I know it is hard to tell, but I think he was actually trying to stick up for CFL players.

Two big takeaways, among many, from Sunday's game:

1) Based on Chris Matthews' performance, every team in the League should be taking a closer look at the CFL.  I admit that I don't follow the League at all, but if the quality of play has improved significantly (especially since the demise of NFL Europe or whatever they called it), there might be a lot of unrecognized talent there.

2) Based on the play of Malcolm Butler (not just on "The Pick" but on many other plays...people focus on the fact that he didn't succeed in breaking up Kearse's catch, but he was the only one in the vicinity to have the presence of mind to realize that the play was still alive and tackle him before he walked five yards into the endzone... his uncalled trip of an open Kearse earlier in the game was a veteran play), UDFA's from outside D-I should also get much closer looks.  I suspect that a lot of these guys have a "story" that kept them out of a big time school (mentoring, low profile HS, small local media market, some problems with the law as a juvenile that they recognize were a mistake).

I have no idea. I just read about the guy a couple weeks ago. I thought he'd at least be a better option than Gordy as our 4th CB. I just looked him up. His name's Delvin Breaux. From what I've read he's supposed to be a really good CB.

Yes it's the same CB. He might have been Canada's best player . Probably favored signing with NO as they arguably had the worst CB's in the NFl. So really was a pretty good fit as it fills a need for NO and gives him a very good chance to san a starting spot.

After watching the East_West shrine game of him I am convinced that Grigson has no idea what it takes to be a good lineman in the NFL.

From what I saw:

The Good:

1. he plays with good form, good knee bend, back straight, arms extended
  2. Good quickness to the 2nd level.
  3. Good at locating and blocking smaller targets like LBers

The Bad

1. Extremely weak, got pushed around a lot in the video clips
  2. Slow out of his stance, several times the defender exploded into him and he barely had his hand off the ground
  3. No hand punch at all
  4. No power when double teaming a defender.
  5. No leg drive once engaged with a dlineman.
  6. Lets defenders into his chest too often.

He may have improved some of those areas over the last couple of years in the CFL but I think it's more of a situation where those weaknesses are why he plays in the CFL.

After watching the East_West shrine game of him I am convinced that Grigson has no idea what it takes to be a good lineman in the NFL.

From what I saw:

The Good:

• he plays with good form, good knee bend, back straight, arms extended
  • Good quickness to the 2nd level.
  • Good at locating and blocking smaller targets like LBers
The Bad
  • Extremely weak, got pushed around a lot in the video clips
  • Slow out of his stance, several times the defender exploded into him and he barely had his hand off the ground
  • No hand punch at all
  • No power when double teaming a defender.
  • No leg drive once engaged with a dlineman.
  • Lets defenders into his chest too often.
He may have improved some of those areas over the last couple of years in the CFL but I think it's more of a situation where those weaknesses are why he plays in the CFL.
Weren't three or four other teams actively trying to sign the guy???

not sure anyone is expecting the guy to be this struggling OL's hero & savior, but nows the time to bring in camp bodies, so I welcome the guy...

That's what really impresses me.  Guys like Muamba, Freeman, Carter, and Heenan had other offers, but they've all decided to come play for the Colts.  It seems like Indy is the free agent hot spot, especially for CFL guys.  If only we could have gotten Cam Wake haha

It helps when Grigson has ties to the CFL.

From what I saw:

The Good:

The Bad

2. Slow out of his stance, several times the defender exploded into him and he barely had his hand off the ground
  3. No hand punch at all

Well since Grigson don't know what he is doing we should just go ahead and fire him. Since you so knowledgeable try putting in for the job. Oh, by the way it would help if you looked at present tape and his play today, not three year ago.

From what I saw:

The Good:

The Bad

3. No hand punch at all

Two things:

1) Are you talking about the Shrine game from three years ago? If so, how is that relevant?

2) Why would anyone tie Grigson's ability to scout linemen to a February CFL signing?

From what I saw:

The Good:

The Bad

3. No hand punch at all

"I am convinced that Grigson has no idea what it takes to be a good lineman in the NFL."

I made a very similar comment about Grigsons ability to spot a good O Lineman I believe last year though admittedly I had hopes for a couple of the O Linemen he did bring in and still do...Holmes specifically

Weren't three or four other teams actively trying to sign the guy???

not sure anyone is expecting the guy to be this struggling OL's hero & savior, but nows the time to bring in camp bodies, so I welcome the guy...

I don't know if other teams were trying to sign him.

Actually there were a few people in this thread talking about what a great signing it is and how he's just what the line needs.

But just giving my opinion of the guy.

Well since Grigson don't know what he is doing we should just go ahead and fire him. Since you so knowledgeable try putting in for the job. Oh, by the way it would help if you looked at present tape and his play today, not three year ago.

Is that really the best you can come up with? I'm sure it's easier to respond with some nonsense like this rather than actually think about something.

But I never said anything about firing Grigson, all GMs have their weak spots (Polian's was DBs,) not sure why mentioning their weak spots is viewed as such a bad thing.   But, I'll be like you, "Oh Grigson signed the guy he must be great, wow he does everything he can to improve the roster, blah, blah, blah."

Two things:

1) Are you talking about the Shrine game from three years ago? If so, how is that relevant?

2) Why would anyone tie Grigson's ability to scout linemen to a February CFL signing?

1.  Yes, I'm talking about that Shrine game and it's relevant because that was the video I had to watch and if he was pushed around by college players 3 years ago, chances are he will be pushed around by NFL players now.  I did however say that he may have improved on those weaknesses over the last 3 years in the CFL.

2)  Because I doubt if he signed him without scouting him.  He viewed tape on this guy and made the decision that he was someone he thought could possibly help the Colts.  Why would anyone not tie Grigs ability to scout olineman to a February CFL signing?

Is that really the best you can come up with? I'm sure it's easier to respond with some nonsense like this rather than actually think about something.

But I never said anything about firing Grigson, all GMs have their weak spots (Polian's was DBs,) not sure why mentioning their weak spots is viewed as such a bad thing.   But, I'll be like you, "Oh Grigson signed the guy he must be great, wow he does everything he can to improve the roster, blah, blah, blah."

So now your putting your own spin on my comment? Grigson had build a very good team in three season no matter what your opinion is. He never stops  making an effort in finding players from any source he can find. It's is easier for you to find negative in most subjects rather than seeing the big picture.

1.  Yes, I'm talking about that Shrine game and it's relevant because that was the video I had to watch and if he was pushed around by college players 3 years ago, chances are he will be pushed around by NFL players now.  I did however say that he may have improved on those weaknesses over the last 3 years in the CFL.

2)  Because I doubt if he signed him without scouting him.  He viewed tape on this guy and made the decision that he was someone he thought could possibly help the Colts.  Why would anyone not tie Grigs ability to scout olineman to a February CFL signing?

I don't know. The Shrine game is presumably top rated Canadian college prospects. Him getting pushed around -- based on your viewing, I haven't watched it, but you know your stuff -- isn't good, but it's not particularly concerning. It's top competition, for a CFL prospect, and it was three years ago. Since then, he's reportedly become one of the best linemen in their league. So either he got stronger (which is likely), or he learned how to better use his strength on the field (which is also likely). It's like looking at freshman tape for a senior draft prospect.

And I don't think it really says anything about Grigson's ability to scout linemen, not by itself. You may have pre-existing concerns about his evaluations of linemen, which is a different story. But this addition is probably just about grabbing a hot prospect from the CFL, with little risk. It's going to be hard for him to even make the roster, and Grigson's comments weren't very bullish.

To me, it's just another February signing. See if the guy can do something, and if so, great, but if not, oh well. 

So now your putting your own spin on my comment? Grigson had build a very good team in three season no matter what your opinion is. He never stops  making an effort in finding players from any source he can find. It's is easier for you to find negative in most subjects rather than seeing the big picture.

No, you tried to take my comments and act like I suggested he should be fired because I don't think he's good at knowing what it takes to find good olineman.

This is a thread about a lineman that Grigson just signed from the CFL, so I commented on that lineman and the person who signed him.  It's not a thread about how good or bad Grigson has done overall in his three years with the Colts.  You're the one trying to make this about Grigson and not Heenan.

I don't know. The Shrine game is presumably top rated Canadian college prospects. Him getting pushed around -- based on your viewing, I haven't watched it, but you know your stuff -- isn't good, but it's not particularly concerning. It's top competition, for a CFL prospect, and it was three years ago. Since then, he's reportedly become one of the best linemen in their league. So either he got stronger (which is likely), or he learned how to better use his strength on the field (which is also likely). It's like looking at freshman tape for a senior draft prospect.

And I don't think it really says anything about Grigson's ability to scout linemen, not by itself. You may have pre-existing concerns about his evaluations of linemen, which is a different story. But this addition is probably just about grabbing a hot prospect from the CFL, with little risk. It's going to be hard for him to even make the roster, and Grigson's comments weren't very bullish.

To me, it's just another February signing. See if the guy can do something, and if so, great, but if not, oh well. 

Nope, I not basing my opinion of Grigson and his ability to find olineman on this one signing.... I kind of thought that was assumed... I didn't know that when voicing an opinion on someone that the opinion had to be based only on the topic of the thread.  My bad. ;)

The East-West shrine game generally only has 4 players from Canadian Universities (2 on each team), the rest are from American schools. It's basically for the Senior Bowl's rejects.

The East-West shrine game generally only has 4 players from Canadian Universities (2 on each team), the rest are from American schools. It's basically for the Senior Bowl's rejects.

I didn't realize that. I thought from what I read that Canada had their own Shrine game. But that actually goes right along with my point. He was playing against better competition than he ever had, most likely. I'm not surprised that he got pushed around.

Nope, I not basing my opinion of Grigson and his ability to find olineman on this one signing.... I kind of thought that was assumed... I didn't know that when voicing an opinion on someone that the opinion had to be based only on the topic of the thread.  My bad. ;)

Maybe it's the wording you chose:

That is not what I took it as. If so he needs to be more specific in his wording.

I don't think he is capable of wording his posts better, sad but true.

Ha sooo true I think Minotaur, is actually a Minotaur with pretty good grammer, considering he is a Minotaur, sometimes a few words & letters get left out though...

The Minotaur's general mood is positive though, so I doubt he'd call all CFLer's worthless...

From what I saw:

The Good:

The Bad

3. No hand punch at all

Here is a 2013 video, his 2nd year as a Rider. Not a Heenan highlight vid, but a Rider TD vid. He is #65, and plays both RG and RT. For a chuckle, pay attention at 2:22. Grabs Kory Sheets and brings him into the end zone for a TD while Sheets was being wrapped up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFmSQ8z0B_M.

No, you tried to take my comments and act like I suggested he should be fired because I don't think he's good at knowing what it takes to find good olineman.

This is a thread about a lineman that Grigson just signed from the CFL, so I commented on that lineman and the person who signed him.  It's not a thread about how good or bad Grigson has done overall in his three years with the Colts.  You're the one trying to make this about Grigson and not Heenan.

You make a negative comment about Grigson that was not true. He has attempted to bring in linemen but that is no easy task. Every GM in the league has trouble finding good linemen. That's why there are very few that hit the free agent list. Injuries has played a large part in the play of the Colts line. Grigson didn't win a GM of the year by not knowing what he was doing. But it is easier for you to point a finger and make a statement that is just your opinion and not fact.

You make a negative comment about Grigson that was not true. He has attempted to bring in linemen but that is no easy task. Every GM in the league has trouble finding good linemen. That's why there are very few that hit the free agent list. Injuries has played a large part in the play of the Colts line. Grigson didn't win a GM of the year by not knowing what he was doing. But it is easier for you to point a finger and make a statement that is just your opinion and not fact.

So, I can't make a negative comment about Grigson but it's okay for you to make a negative comment about all other GMs?  Thank you for straightening me out on that issue.  Additionally my negative comment about Grigson is not true but your negative comment about "every GM has trouble finding good lineman" is true.  How does that work?  I assume Grigson falls into that category of "every GM".

For the rest:

• Where did I say Grigs does not know what he is doing?  I was very specific regarding my negative comment.
  • Of course it's my freakin opinion, it's a freakin' fan forum.  I mean I guess I could talk about such riveting topics as former WWE wrestlers and then go on rampages about kids playing video games but I will leave that up to those that feel they are the only ones allowed to state an opinion about things.