Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

lets face it, we will be in the same positon with Luck as we were with Manning

bleed blue4life

Starting in 2015 we have to start planning on paying Luck top qb money like we did with Peyton and try and fill in the blanks again with what little we have left, If Seattle pays Wilson what they say the are, can you imagine what Luck will want? I see us in the same shape we were when Peyton was here. The reason we have done so much in such a short time is Luck is under the rookie salary cap, What happens next?  Tell me if I am wrong ,Please

1) I hate when threads start with "let's face it." Brad Wells called, he wants his opening line back.

2) You apparently don't understand how the cap works. We can pay Luck top money and build the rest of the roster. We just have to draft better. Bottom line is, if you want a great QB, you have to pay him. Spend time worrying about the other 52 spots on the roster.

Starting in 2015 we have to start planning on paying Luck top qb money like we did with Peyton and try and fill in the blanks again with what little we have left, If Seattle pays Wilson what they say the are, can you imagine what Luck will want? I see us in the same shape we were when Peyton was here. The reason we have done so much in such a short time is Luck is under the rookie salary cap, What happens next? Tell me if I am wrong ,Please

You're somewhat correct. Tom Brady has always been one of the highest paid in the league but they keep putting talent around him. There is just less room for error when selecting players when your QB gets paid that much.

Well I understand...but then how can you argue why the Patriots (paying Brady out of their minds also) perform so well year-in and year-out?

It can be done...but for the record I don't think Luck will be the highest paid player in the NFL either. He's a great QB and deserves a great contract indeed....however I see Luck in a different light and I don't know that for Luck it's all about money. Maybe I'm wrong...but just my opinion.

It all depends on how the Colts draft. Just like with Manning, we will always be selecting around the end of every round so we have to make ever selection count. We can't have misses, like with Richardson and possibly Werner. (It still boils my blood that both the first round drafts (Werner and Richardson) were inactive in tonight's game. It makes me doubt Grigson's ability to build a team around Luck.

1) I hate when threads start with "let's face it." Brad Wells called, he wants his opening line back.

2) You apparently don't understand how the cap works. We can pay Luck top money and build the rest of the roster. We just have to draft better. Bottom line is, if you want a great QB, you have to pay him. Spend time worrying about the other 52 spots on the roster.

603.gif

It all depends on how the Colts draft. Just like with Manning, we will always be selecting around the end of every round so we have to make ever selection count. We can't have misses, like with Richardson and possibly Werner. (It still boils my blood that both the first round drafts (Werner and Richardson) were inactive in tonight's game. It makes me doubt Grigson's ability to build a team around Luck.

Exactly, you can't miss on first rounders and the fact that our last 2 first rounder weren't even good enough to be active tonight is a huge problem.

You're somewhat correct. Tom Brady has always been one of the highest paid in the league but they keep putting talent around him. There is just less room for error when selecting players when your QB gets paid that much.

"One of" never the highest...which led to many negative articels either calling out the Pats for not "spending" that money to get him players or keep them...yet he keeps winning...or...the Pats are cheap and keep the money that Brady gives them back...either way they still end up in the same spot year after year and no one gives them and Brady credit...its all Luck. But Tom is taking 8 Mil next year...Luck if the reports are right will get paid 25 Mil and Wilson will get 20+. I don't have any ill towards them get what you can, the next injury could be your last. But in Wilson's case that great defense is gone. That 20 mil has to come from somewhere. In Luck's case you need help on O and D...but you have to take care of you and that will kill your future chances unless you become "God" like "Nadine" said about the 2003 and 2004 Manning.

Do you guys like Dejavu?

I thought i seen somewhere Brady already deferred a lot of his salary for next year so they can resign a lot of their players. I want to say he was taking a 16m a year paycut

Yeah he restructured his contract giving the Pats like $24mil or something like that more in cap space

Talk about taking one for the team haha

The guy is 25 and he has improved every single year since coming into this league... every year he has taken his team further, without him you would not be in this position to begin with.

All he really needs is more play makers around him...on both sides of the ball.

The Colts are going to be better next year, I am sure they will have a good draft and address their defense now that their O-Line is looking better.

Starting in 2015 we have to start planning on paying Luck top qb money like we did with Peyton and try and fill in the blanks again with what little we have left, If Seattle pays Wilson what they say the are, can you imagine what Luck will want? I see us in the same shape we were when Peyton was here. The reason we have done so much in such a short time is Luck is under the rookie salary cap, What happens next?  Tell me if I am wrong ,Please

Luck has accomplished far less than Wilson, so I expect he will be paid far less.

So we can't invest in a lot of FAs anymore? Big deal... none of them have set the world alight for us. And Art Jones' contribution has been wildly exaggerated on this forum, he has been okay, nothing more. The pick of the FA bunch is probably Walden.

If we have an opportunity to land a 'can't miss' player in FA, sure. But we need to stop filling out our team this way.

Look at the Seakhawks model... they have invested in players in the draft that fit how the want to play... Chancellor, Maxwell, Sherman all drafted late, but fitted the big, physical, press coverage types that they wanted in their secondary, then of course they have a first round star in Earl Thomas.

They then wanted a front four that could get to the passer, not necessarily built on size.  and stole Avril in FA, as well as Bennett.

The ability to stop the run then started with a stud MLB, who they drafted in Bobby Wagner, and drafted complimentary players either side of him (KJ Wright is great in coverage, Irvin plays up top a lot and generates great pressure).

All these players were drafted with a defensive vision in mind, and it has worked. The only FA signings were in a saturated 4-3 DE market where they were able to sign good pass-rushers at low prices to plug-in to an already stable defensive backbone. This gave the opportunity to get a little bit more exotic with the likes of NASCAR, which they run effectively (and which Mike McCarthy should consider trying now and again.)

The point I am trying to make is that we need a vision for our defense (and indeed offense), and we need to draft aggressively in accordance with that vision. We can get great complimentary pieces in FA, but we can not build our team around these players, it just does not work like that.

P.S. I was of the opinion that Luck would do everything he could to minimise his cap hit on the Colts with his impending contract, but the fact is there probably is not much he can do about it due to the pressure form the NFLPA. He will do what he can from a structural perspective, but the fact is that he is getting a big contract.

Luck has that same dumb lost deer in the headlights look as Peyton did in Foxboro. It is worst with Luck cause he hasn't come even close to beating New England yet. At least Peyton still scared the bejeebies out of Belicheck. Luck just looks in over his head and perplexed by the genius of the Hoodie. Lol. Oh well he is still young...he'll figure it out...I hope.

Luck has that same dumb lost deer in the headlights look as Peyton did in Foxboro. It is worst with Luck cause he hasn't come even close to beating New England yet. At least Peyton still scared the bejeebies out of Belicheck. Luck just looks in over his head and perplexed by the genius of the Hoodie. Lol. Oh well he is still young...he'll figure it out...I hope.

Well, we don't want to wait 10 years before Luck figures the Pats out.

Agreed. Right now it looks like they will have their way with him though for as long as the Belicheck and Brady era lasts. Showing no signs of being able to beat them in the near future.

Not all on Luck-Really it's whoever our coaches are, and not being able to come up with a game plan or make adjustments.

Not all on Luck-Really it's whoever our coaches are, and not being able to come up with a game plan or make adjustments.

All the game planning in the world will not work till you get the talent on the team. The Colts do not have enough talent across the board to win super bowls.

So we can't invest in a lot of FAs anymore? Big deal... none of them have set the world alight for us. And Art Jones' contribution has been wildly exaggerated on this forum, he has been okay, nothing more. The pick of the FA bunch is probably Walden.

If we have an opportunity to land a 'can't miss' player in FA, sure. But we need to stop filling out our team this way.

Look at the Seakhawks model... they have invested in players in the draft that fit how the want to play... Chancellor, Maxwell, Sherman all drafted late, but fitted the big, physical, press coverage types that they wanted in their secondary, then of course they have a first round star in Earl Thomas.

They then wanted a front four that could get to the passer, not necessarily built on size.  and stole Avril in FA, as well as Bennett.

The ability to stop the run then started with a stud MLB, who they drafted in Bobby Wagner, and drafted complimentary players either side of him (KJ Wright is great in coverage, Irvin plays up top a lot and generates great pressure).

All these players were drafted with a defensive vision in mind, and it has worked. The only FA signings were in a saturated 4-3 DE market where they were able to sign good pass-rushers at low prices to plug-in to an already stable defensive backbone. This gave the opportunity to get a little bit more exotic with the likes of NASCAR, which they run effectively (and which Mike McCarthy should consider trying now and again.)

The point I am trying to make is that we need a vision for our defense (and indeed offense), and we need to draft aggressively in accordance with that vision. We can get great complimentary pieces in FA, but we can not build our team around these players, it just does not work like that.

P.S. I was of the opinion that Luck would do everything he could to minimise his cap hit on the Colts with his impending contract, but the fact is there probably is not much he can do about it due to the pressure form the NFLPA. He will do what he can from a structural perspective, but the fact is that he is getting a big contract.

... need a vision for our defense ...  This is an important statement!  It appears that our defensive vision has always been let the QB get a lead and then send the DE's to sack the QB.  It worked in the regular season with Peyton Manning but failed miserably in post-season.  We are repeating this with Andrew Luck.  What happens when we can't get a lead?  What happens when the other team has a pretty darn good defense?  What happens when your QB is having a bad day in the post season.  Defense wins championships!  Our defensive vision needs to include this.  GO COLTS!

This team is in no way shape or form "Complete" its still a work in progress. Grigs is doing everything he can with what he has. Andrew Luck WILL have multiple SB titles. This season was a win for this Organization, no matter how you look at it.

Could someone elaborate on this? I guess I've just never heard much about the NFLPA and how they could influence someone like Luck signing a contract. Thanks.

Could someone elaborate on this? I guess I've just never heard much about the NFLPA and how they could influence someone like Luck signing a contract. Thanks.

I haven't either, but could be similar (bear with me here) to when Alex Rodriguez tried to take less money to go to Boston from the Texas Rangers. He got shut down by the MLBPA. Of course that's after he already signed his ridiculous contract.