Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

9 AFCCG appearances vs 9 one and done's

MJD42

Totally different and you know it. The Patriots don't hang Division Champion banners or Conference Champion banners...some teams do and hey, that's fine. The 16-0 banner that they have hanging is not prominently displayed near the Championship banners...it is on the opposite end of the stadium next to a Kenny Chesney banner and reads 'Regular Season Record'...it simply acknowledges the greatest regular season record in the history of the National Football League and is no different than, say, a ring of honor or retired numbers hanging in the stadium.

A banner that reads 'AFC Finalist' and hangs prominently next to a Superbowl banner is completely different. I mean, come on...AFC FINALIST????

Ah, my apologies, I might've misunderstood you then. AFC Finalist as in just reaching the AFCCG, regardless of the outcome in that game?

I don't think the Pats could really hang their division banners, they'd run out of room at this point!

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, my apologies, I might've misunderstood you then. AFC Finalist as in just reaching the AFCCG, regardless of the outcome in that game?

I don't think the Pats could really hang their division banners, they'd run out of room at this point!

Yup...the Colts legit have an 'AFC Finalist' banner hanging in their stadium...as in they reached the AFCCG and lost. 

There's no defending that!!! ;)

Manning had Reggie Wayne, marvin Harrison, Dallas Clark, edgerrin james on offense.

Brady beat manning with the likes of Troy Brown, David Patten, Antowain Smith, and a bunch of other lesser names.  It wasn't until Moss or Welker that Brady had anything resembling an all pro receiver to throw to.

Manning also had top 10 defenses in 2002, 2005 (ranked 2nd overall), 2007 (first overall), 2008, and 2009.  They had the 23rd ranked defense in 2006 when they won the title.  Brady owns manning just like he owns luck now.

Tom Brady finished 5th, 6th, and 10th in passing yards his first full seasons starting and the argument is that he did it with no weapons? The logic then implies if he had better weapons he would have done what? Won a Super Bowl? Finished in the top 10 in yards?

Somebody caught those 3700 yards. If it wasn't "elite" players it was a better team.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, January 14, 2015 - inflammatory
Hidden by Nadine, January 14, 2015 - inflammatory

Yup...the Colts legit have an 'AFC Finalist' banner hanging in their stadium...as in they reached the AFCCG and lost. 

There's no defending that!!! ;)

Come on man- ya gotta fill the space up with something. ;)

Gotcha. IF Wilson wins this year then yes he will be ahead of where Brady was 3 years into his career BUT I will still take a perfect post-season record over a blemished one. So Brady undefeated in post-season with a ring in hand is still more impressive than Wilson with his one loss. When Brady became the starter he never lost in the post season until his 5th year. That is maybe the most impressive post-season record of all time ...

If Wilson was drafted by any team other than Seatlle , I don't think he has a ring nor a shot at another one. I believe he's a nice player that was put in the ultimate perfect spot. Good for him....

What was the Patriots' record when Brady took over from Bledsoe?

The Patriots did not even have a top 5 defense in '01.

You may want to do a couple of shots of brown liquor (or maybe an ammonia-based cleaning product of some kind) before going down Mintor Boulevard. I took a stroll there earlier and it's migraine-inducing. 

5-11, and then 0-2.

The 5-11 really has limited value. Teams often turn seasons around . Reasons being earlier schedules , better luck and better play. The NFL is full of teams that had major turn around years and they came off years worse than 5-11. Colts went from 2-14 to 11-5 just 3 years ago.

Here's some factors you might want to consider..

1) 2001 was BB's 2nd year with the team.

2) The 2000 team lost a lot of close games.

3) Bledsoe was pretty stinky in 2000. Passer rating in the 70's.

4) 2001 was a nice draft.. Seymore and Light.

This is why I said "pretty small sample group". the 0-2.

Aaron Rodgers I think said it best when asked about his legacy:

"I really believe that you earn your paycheck during the season," Rodgers told Costas. "[You] play at a high level and get your team to the playoffs. And then the postseason is all about creating your legacy. The great quarterbacks are remembered for their playoff successes and triumphs and Super Bowl championships and Super Bowl MVPs."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/52037/packers-49ers-ii-legacy-of-aaron-rodgers

Other than his one Super Bowl run Rodgers has been pretty forgettable in the playoffs.....until last weekend. He did have that big win over Joe Webb and the Vikings though.

Wow. That interview/article was BRUTAL toward Manning and Welker. And this is from a Denver reporter to boot.

He's a radio host.....some of them can play fast and loose with the facts. Although I could see manning not having close friends on the team.

Not to be Johnny Raincloud, but New England has won only three Championships since 1960. When I was a fan of the Baltimore Colts, we won

3 NFL Championships and 1 Super Bowl. Later, as a Ravens fan , we have won 2 Super Bowls since only 1996.

Not knocking the Patriots , but like Steeler fans, they only seem to talk about their recent history, not the total history of their organization. When you look farther back in time, you understand why.

The 5-11 really has limited value. Teams often turn seasons around . Reasons being earlier schedules , better luck and better play. The NFL is full of teams that had major turn around years and they came off years worse than 5-11. Colts went from 2-14 to 11-5 just 3 years ago.

Here's some factors you might want to consider..

1) 2001 was BB's 2nd year with the team.

2) The 2000 team lost a lot of close games.

3) Bledsoe was pretty stinky in 2000. Passer rating in the 70's.

4) 2001 was a nice draft.. Seymore and Light.

This is why I said "pretty small sample group". the 0-2.

Yes and no.

The team did have quite a few pieces, you're correct. But they had no running game including the year before. So BB wanted a short passing game to make up for it.There in lies the problem- Bledsoe couldn't do it. Oh he'd get the ball to the receiver alright- like a rocket so hard it'd bounce off their chests. He didn't have the touch for the short passes.

Long passes as we know he would become a statue and get sacked. The series was always run for 1 yard, pass, pass, and punt.

Enter Tom Brady. He had the short passes. BB- just manage the game and don't make mistakes Tom and leave the rest to me.

The team started gelling around Brady. Rest is history.

He's a radio host.....some of them can play fast and loose with the facts. Although I could see manning not having close friends on the team.

Ya know, I'm starting to believe some of it and I always stick up for the guy.  There is an aloof elitist feel to him. Probably not all his fault and comes from the family I would think.

Other than his one Super Bowl run Rodgers has been pretty forgettable in the playoffs.....until last weekend. He did have that big win over Joe Webb and the Vikings though.

Yes. If he can beat Seattle though that would be huge. I don't think he does as they are built to stop him and his style of O.

Yes and no.

The team did have quite a few pieces, you're correct. But they had no running game including the year before. So BB wanted a short passing game to make up for it.There in lies the problem- Bledsoe couldn't do it. Oh he'd get the ball to the receiver alright- like a rocket so hard it'd bounce off their chests. He didn't have the touch for the short passes.

Long passes as we know he would become a statue and get sacked. The series was always run for 1 yard, pass, pass, and punt.

Enter Tom Brady. He had the short passes. BB- just manage the game and don't make mistakes Tom and leave the rest to me.

The team started gelling around Brady. Rest is history.

All could be 100% true but my point is that Brady was not spectacular in that year that the Pats turned it around. If what you say is true , wouldn't you say there were a bunch of QB's that could have accomplished that. And I did mention that Bledsoe was terrible before Brady took over.

Not to be Johnny Raincloud, but New England has won only three Championships since 1960. When I was a fan of the Baltimore Colts, we won

3 NFL Championships and 1 Super Bowl. Later, as a Ravens fan , we have won 2 Super Bowls since only 1996.

Not knocking the Patriots , but like Steeler fans, they only seem to talk about their recent history, not the total history of their organization. When you look farther back in time, you understand why.

Crow, the Pats were founded in 1960. We don't go as far back as the Colts (1953) and certainly not as far back as the Steelers (1933). All that being said, we have made a Super Bowl and/or won one in each of the past four decades. I don't believe another franchise can claim that.

But you are right, in terms of recent history, Pats fans are focused there but that is because the run the Pats are on is the best in NLF history during the toughest era with the cap and free agency. This Pats run has been compared to the Colts of the 60's, the Steelers of the 70s, the niners of the 80's and the Cowboys of the 90's so I think we all acutely understand that we are watching history in the making with every season the Pats continue to deify the odds and win 10+ games and make a run at the ring.

Ya know, I'm starting to believe some of it and I always stick up for the guy.  There is an aloof elitist feel to him. Probably not all his fault and comes from the family I would think.

Yeah , he almost seems like a front office guy rather than a player sometimes. That and he tucks his jersey into his jeans and choreographs his celebrations lol.

He tore Manning apart. Perhaps he is like our version of Ron Borges who is very negative but wow, he did not pull any punches. Thinks Manning is an elitist, has no courage, can't win in the post-season and has no friends. Even Borges has never been that cutting.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, January 14, 2015 - complaining about moderation
Hidden by Nadine, January 14, 2015 - complaining about moderation

I don't think it's any surprise that Brady has always had the better team around him for his entire career. People say Peyton has all these one-and-dones like it's his fault. Sure, he's contributed, but give him the team and coaching Brady has had and I guarantee that number drops.

Really, it's sad to see things like this. Instead of appreciating two great QBs, people have to keep trashing one QB in order to feel good about themselves and their own QB. Ask Peyton what he thinks of Brady and he'll give you nothing but praise. Ask Brady what he thinks of Peyton and he'll give you nothing but praise. If you really want to make weak arguments, I could counter by saying Brady has the most Super Bowl losses of any QB remaining. In fact, of the 4 remaining QBs, Brady is the only QB to ever lose a Super Bowl...of course, that requires blatantly ignoring the fact that football is a team game, but I'm just following your lead here, MJD. You can find these stats to make any sort of argument you want. Just appreciate that Brady and Peyton have had some great matchups against one another and we are lucky enough to have witnessed two of the greatest QBs who ever lived.

And if we create a thread like this against Pats, we will be called for baiting and the thread will be locked in few minutes. How are these sequences of threads not baiting ?.

Crow, the Pats were founded in 1960. We don't go as far back as the Colts (1953) and certainly not as far back as the Steelers (1933). All that being said, we have made a Super Bowl and/or won one in each of the past four decades. I don't believe another franchise can claim that.

But you are right, in terms of recent history, Pats fans are focused there but that is because the run the Pats are on is the best in NLF history during the toughest era with the cap and free agency. This Pats run has been compared to the Colts of the 60's, the Steelers of the 70s, the niners of the 80's and the Cowboys of the 90's so I think we all acutely understand that we are watching history in the making with every season the Pats continue to deify the odds and win 10+ games and make a run at the ring.

Very similar to Red Sox history, if you think about it, except that gap went back to 1918. That's why you have to enjoy it.

Very similar to Red Sox history, if you think about it, except that gap went back to 1918. That's why you have to enjoy it.

lol. Yeah. We have been unbelievable spoiled the last decade and a half. Young folks think we have always been winners. No idea how much suffering we did for decades and decades. lol.

Brady never had excellent WR's till around 2007.  And no, Troy Brown is no Marvin Harrison or Reggie Wayne.  Brady never had a great TE till 2010 with Gronk.  Peyton had Clark who was excellent.  So you got Harrison, Wayne, Clark, 3 possible HOF'ers on the same team.  Not including all the other WR's the Colts had.  Polian set up a tool shed of offensive weapons for Peyton to choose from.

The Pats never had a dominant offense with dominant WR's till 2007 when they became more offense oriented. 

The Pats started gutting their defense in 2002-03 starting with Lawyer Miloy then later with Ty Law, Asante Samuel, Randall Gay when they started under valuing the secondary and bringing in guys off the street to play DB.

The Colts franchise built that team around Peyton in 1998 a good 3 and a half years before Brady took his first ever NFL snap in a regular season game as a backup QB in an emergency situation after the starter (Bledsoe) got injured.

Colts had better teams compared to the Brady era Pats in 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009.  Brady was out during 2008.

Broncos with Peyton were better in 2012 and 2013 than the Pats were.

So 7 seasons between 2001 to 2014 Peyton was on better teams.

Peyton has been the MVP 5 times an NFL record.

Peyton had the greatest offense in the history of the NFL with the 2013 Broncos.

So Peyton only having won 1 super bowl after 17 years and 5 MVP's going 9 one and done's is not good.  That would be the equivalent of Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant only winning one title.

And yes, Brady has done more with less through out more of his career than Peyton has.  And the Pats haven't had a strong defense since 2005.  They still have no pass rush as of the 2014 season.

The differences between Peyton Manning and Tom Brady couldn't be more different in how they grew up and how they became famous.

Peyton Manning from the day he was born was born into a professional NFL home with a NFL QB father.  He was bread to be excellent.  He was always the best in school in high school, in college and the NFL.  He was the brilliant QB with a brilliant college career at Tennessee with a national name recognition.  A Heisman trophy possible winner as many people felt he should have won it over Charles Woodson.  Peyton was selected 1st overall in the 1998 NFL draft.  The Colts built that franchise around him.  What he wanted Bill Polian made sure he gave him including "enforcing specific rules" and neglecting other rules.  He was the air apparent to Dan Marino and Brett Favre as the biggest name in the NFL.  All the reports of how Peyton didn't know how to open a can or use a can opener because he was so obsessed with football and studying the game etc.

Tom Brady didn't have that up bringing.  A mediocre high school QB, nothing special and a mediocre to average college QB who most never heard of even when he played some games at Michigan.  He was a 6th round pick and 4th on the depth chart, got the starting job during the 2001 season only because Bledsoe got injured.  There was no sense of entitlement.  If Brady acts entitled now well he never got much respect to begin with and still has to fight to get respect and he still carries a chip on his shoulder for being picked in the 6th round.  People calling him gay, challenging his sexuality, calling him a cheater etc.

"9 AFCCG appearances vs 9 one and done's."  <<<<<WOW!  With everything put into perspective that says a lot.

Brady never had excellent WR's till around 2007.  And no, Troy Brown is no Marvin Harrison or Reggie Wayne.  Brady never had a great TE till 2010 with Gronk.  Peyton had Clark who was excellent.  So you got Harrison, Wayne, Clark, 3 possible HOF'ers on the same team.  Not including all the other WR's the Colts had.  Polian set up a tool shed of offensive weapons for Peyton to choose from.

The Pats never had a dominant offense with dominant WR's till 2007 when they became more offense oriented. 

The Pats started gutting their defense in 2002-03 starting with Lawyer Miloy then later with Ty Law, Asante Samuel, Randall Gay when they started under valuing the secondary and bringing in guys off the street to play DB.

The Colts franchise built that team around Peyton in 1998 a good 3 and a half years before Brady took his first ever NFL snap in a regular season game as a backup QB in an emergency situation after the starter (Bledsoe) got injured.

Colts had better teams compared to the Brady era Pats in 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009.  Brady was out during 2008.

Peyton had the greatest offense in the history of the NFL with the 2013 Broncos.

So Peyton only having won 1 super bowl after 17 years and 5 MVP's going 9 one and done's is not good.  That would be the equivalent of Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant only winning one title.

And yes, Brady has done more with less through out more of his career than Peyton has.  And the Pats haven't had a strong defense since 2005.  They still have no pass rush as of the 2014 season.

Lol

True enough and I'll add this. What is completely overlooked and extremely important is the tenure between QB and WR.

It got to the point Harrison never even came to the huddle with the rest of the players. All they had to do was look at each other. Both would practice before every game. I saw one- quite entertaining to say the least.

Same with Montana and Rice.

Brady almost was getting it with Branch until he shipped out. its like Bill says- Tom don't even get used to your receivers because they could be gone next year and I'm not giving you all stars so just go out and do it.

I know losing Branch hurt the most with Tom because they were just starting to get that chemistry that Manning and other QBs have had with their receivers.

That's what really makes it all remarkable.

True enough and I'll add this. What is completely overlooked and extremely important is the tenure between QB and WR.

It got to the point Harrison never even came to the huddle with the rest of the players. All they had to do was look at each other. Both would practice before every game. I saw one- quite entertaining to say the least.

Same with Montana and Rice.

Brady almost was getting it with Branch until he shipped out. its like Bill says- Tom don't even get used to your receivers because they could be gone next year and I'm not giving you all stars so just go out and do it.

I know losing Branch hurt the most with Tom because they were just starting to get that chemistry that Manning and other QBs have had with their receivers.

That's what really makes it all remarkable.

Reading some of these posts from Colts' fans it's almost as if they forgot Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark were on the team or they never existed or they weren't that good.  (Three future HOF'ers).

Not including Edgerrin James and Brandon Stokley who were excellent.

He tore Manning apart. Perhaps he is like our version of Ron Borges who is very negative but wow, he did not pull any punches. Thinks Manning is an elitist, has no courage, can't win in the post-season and has no friends. Even Borges has never been that cutting.

Right, OK....................... 

I had to go look that up. First of all, it's a Boston site, and it's striking how much they care about Manning and how juvenile the dislike is. I don't recall reading any Denver articles belittling Brady with nonsense. Second, the "expert guest from Denver" might as well live in Boston. I went to his twitter feed and he's one of those shock radio trolls who apparently doesn't like Manning. Just deliberately offensive in every aspect.

Right, OK.......................

I had to go look that up. First of all, it's a Boston site, and it's striking how much they care about Manning and how juvenile the dislike is. I don't recall reading any Denver articles belittling Brady with nonsense. Second, the "expert guest from Denver" might as well live in Boston. I went to his twitter feed and he's one of those shock radio trolls who apparently doesn't like Manning. Just deliberately offensive in every expect

Uh.

Did you read the article?

McKee is a Denver sports radio host.

Perhaps the biggest chasm between Brady and Manning was cemented this weekend. Brady achieved history by becoming the first QB in the history of the NFL to come back twice from being down 14 points and guiding the Pats to their 9th AFCCG appearance since he became the starter in 2001. He also has the most post-season wins at 19 in the history of the game and will go for #20 Sunday night.

Manning, on the other hand, lost in miserable fashion at home to a team he was favorite to beat for his 9th one and done. The next QB on the list with the most one and done's is Montana with four. So Manning has more than twice as many one and done's as any other QB in history and of course the most post-season losses at 13 in the history of the game.

Written like a trashtalker with an inferiority complex. I don't get why SOME Pats fans cannot let championships speak for themselves. Both Brady and Manning are two of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play the game. Why is there a need to compare them? Show some class.

So you view a one and done as the same as making it to the Super Bowl and losing?

Not at all. I view a one and done the same as getting to the conference title game and losing.

The title of the post.

Folks keep saying the Mark Sanchez...led this team to 2 AFC title game appearances.

That's the same as 1-and-done to me.

Like I said Oregon 'appeared' in the national championship Monday night.

I can too..he's far older than most of his teammates...the same probably applies to Brady and Brees as well.

they are elder statesmen and more like coaches.

...Russell Wilson appararently didn't have a lot of friends on the SeaHawks either../He doesn't care