Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Peyton Manning Injured or Declining?

MJD42

Is something up with Peyton? Last Sunday's game he had under 200 yards, zero TDs snapping his 51 game streak and 2 picks. Fox's plan has been to run the ball but is that because of Manning's play or more a result of the injuries to his receivers?

I don't think anyone is saying Manning is done, but he has looked off these last few weeks. Granted in his defense he's been facing some tough D's

The zip has been off his balls for awhile now, that's nothing new, but he hasn't performed well lately.

It's a good thing they have that running game going because they'll need that in january, especially if they have to travel to Foxboro

Huh?  They were generally in command of the game by the second half the last two games.  They leaned on the run and they rushed for a ton of yards and extended their drives by doing it.  No reason to stop running the ball and start throwing it.  Yeah his efficiency wasn't great against KC, but in case you hadn't noticed, their pass defense is pretty darned good.

Is something up with Peyton? Last Sunday's game he had under 200 yards, zero TDs snapping his 51 game streak and 2 picks. Fox's plan has been to run the ball but is that because of Manning's play or more a result of the injuries to his receivers?

Both. He is useless. Let's start Brock.

We will know more in the next two weeks when Denver travels to SD and Cincy. They won't be able to run much on those two games and they have struggled all year on the road. I am interested to see how many attempts Manning has in these games and how this throws look. He has not looked good for a few weeks now but he has also lost a lot of his receivers.

Huh?  They were generally in command of the game by the second half the last two games.  They leaned on the run and they rushed for a ton of yards and extended their drives by doing it.  No reason to stop running the ball and start throwing it.  Yeah his efficiency wasn't great against KC, but in case you hadn't noticed, their pass defense is pretty darned good.

Yes and no. If you watched the game on Sunday, they ran nearly every play and punted a lot. They missed a lot of 1st downs by running and not getting enough yards.

I mentioned this in another thread, but will repeat it here...

Denver's winning with the ground-and-pound stuff so it's hard to argue against it. What I wonder is whether or not the offense, and Manning in particular, almost "need" to throw the ball often to get into a rhythm. He relies more on timing now than ever, and it's hard to establish that if you're throwing on less than half of your snaps. 

The Broncos are working to sort of change their offensive identity a little. They're winning games so again, it's hard to punch holes in it. Question is, if they get down in a game, can the offense turn it back on? We'll find out eventually. 

We will know more in the next two weeks when Denver travels to SD and Cincy. They won't be able to run much on those two games and they have struggled all year on the road. I am interested to see how many attempts Manning has in these games and how this throws look. He has not looked good for a few weeks now but he has also lost a lot of his receivers.

Do you call winning 3 out of 6 road games struggling   :???:   :dunno:    Sounds  about even to me. :) 

Yes and no. If you watched the game on Sunday, they ran nearly every play and punted a lot. They missed a lot of 1st downs by running and not getting enough yards.

I disagree with that assessment at least as it relates to the ineffectiveness of the run against the bills.  Yeah, they missed a couple of third downs - 4 in the second half.  One was due to an interception after a penalty started them off at 1st and 20 in Bills territory.  Another resulted in a FG after a -2 yard gain and incomplete pass.  A third was the result of a holding penalty putting the Broncos back around the 20.  And the last one was when the Broncos were getting buffalo to kill their timeouts.  Of all the second half first downs (6), five of them were the result of a running play and all 3 third down conversions were the result of a running play.  I'd have to go back and re-watch the Chiefs game, but I recall them having several in the second half as well.  Maybe that's what you were referring to?

Saw Kansas city game?.

Saw Kansas city game?.

Sure. He has been inconsistent but not horrible. The question was whether he may be injured or declining. I think it could be one or the other based on his performances the last several weeks and the way he has looked throwing the ball. The next two weeks will reveal more I think.

Sure. He has been inconsistent but not horrible. The question was whether he may be injured or declining. I think it could be one or the other based on his performances the last several weeks and the way he has looked throwing the ball. The next two weeks will reveal more I think.

I was referring to the run game on the road against a good defense.

I was referring to the run game on the road against a good defense.

Sure. That is why I said let's see how things go these next two games. It could be that right now the Broncos want to be a run team but the question is it because Manning is either injured or declining. We may not know until season's end.

We'll see down the line..MJD.....as we will with Drew Brees

2 weeks ago...Manning brought his team from 11 points behind to beat Miami

I wasn't in to football back when Elway was playing, but didn't he rely heavily on the run when Denver won their SBs? If Peyton can win a SB with a running game, I don't think he'll be too disappointed. He has plenty of individual records. Don't think he's so concerned about that. Of course, this is only my opinion. :)

Personally, I think they're taking what a Defense if giving. They're winning by running. Also, perhaps preparing for the playoffs. A good run game can be a literal game changer. I don't think there's anything wrong with Peyton.

Denver's 2014 schedule (including the NFC West and AFC east) is much more difficult than their 2013 schedule when they played the NFC East..

You see a slight decline when one of his top 4 receivers is missing...because they all work in tandem and his whole game is anticipation but 2 weeks ago, he was in top form.....and you're right...CJ Anderson gets 5 or 6 on every carry..with injured WRS and TEs. why throw

Its the price of being elite and old. Tom Brady was 'in decline' in September...Brees is being questioned in NOLA

The Broncos are scary but nobody gets it. Favre's and Warner's most promising seasons (as far as winning, not necessarily stats), just to name 2 recent examples, were when they looked toasted towards the end of the season then they woke up during the playoffs.

And this is coming from a guy who has been quick to remind everybody that Peyton has won a playoff game 2 years in a row once in his life.

You mean dynasty for Wilson.

As long as they can keep paying all those defensive stars , Seattle can be a dynasty as you say. Probably would be smart to let Wilson walk if he's looking for what the elite QB's get. I was having a hard time just figuring out why Seattle doesn't rake up points. Great defense give them field position and lots possessions. Good Oline with a very good running game. Wilson is very elusive and we all see how he keeps plays alive. Then I came across an article by Chris Wesseling and he nails it. He talks about how all the QB's that run all pretty much falling apart. He says Wilson is the exception but goes on to say...

"to be clear, Kaepernick is not the only hyper-athletic young quarterback struggling with the metamorphosis from a college spread offense to consistently delivering the ball from the pocket.

Citing the frenetic play of Kaepernick, Cam Newton and Robert Griffin III, former Colts president and current ESPN analyst Bill Polian told TheMMQB.com's Peter King this week that the NFL is seeing "theincredible erosion of the running quarterback."

0ap2000000374401.jpg

Russell Wilson is the outlier, but any discussion of his progress has to contend with the reality that Seattle's weakness is an undeveloped passing game relying more on randomness than rhythm. "

BTW... the only QB good enough(as we speak) to create a dynasty plays in GB. 

As long as they can keep paying all those defensive stars , Seattle can be a dynasty as you say. Probably would be smart to let Wilson walk if he's looking for what the elite QB's get. I was having a hard time just figuring out why Seattle doesn't rake up points. Great defense give them field position and lots possessions. Good Oline with a very good running game. Wilson is very elusive and we all see how he keeps plays alive. Then I came across an article by Chris Wesseling and he nails it. He talks about how all the QB's that run all pretty much falling apart. He says Wilson is the exception but goes on to say...

"to be clear, Kaepernick is not the only hyper-athletic young quarterback struggling with the metamorphosis from a college spread offense to consistently delivering the ball from the pocket.

Citing the frenetic play of Kaepernick, Cam Newton and Robert Griffin III, former Colts president and current ESPN analyst Bill Polian told TheMMQB.com's Peter King this week that the NFL is seeing "theincredible erosion of the running quarterback."

0ap2000000374401.jpg

Russell Wilson is the outlier, but any discussion of his progress has to contend with the reality that Seattle's weakness is an undeveloped passing game relying more on randomness than rhythm. "

BTW... the only QB good enough(as we speak) to create a dynasty plays in GB. 

I always get the sense that the media is quick to put a player in a box and label him. Cam and Kaep have never been good from the pocket and that was the rap coming out of college. It is not surprising that they are struggling in the pros.

Wilson is a bit of an enigma but he really did carry the Hawks more this year than last year given his defense was not great at the start of the season and they did not sign Tate and traded Harvin. Honestly, I don't know how he puts the points he does with that offense. I know Lynch is a beast but everyone else is meh. The defense is rounding into form and he is still making all the plays to win. He really does have the knack for the moment to make the plays to keep the Hawks ahead and allow that defense to do its stuff with the lead.