Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rex would upgrade our defense

Coltivated

I don't see any way we can win it all.    I think the defense that got crushed by New England and Pittsburgh,  and I now fear is going to take a pounding in Dallas is going to get killed in the later rounds of the playoffs.    Just like last year.

We'll win the first round.    But once you get past that round,  you start facing the real teams.   And that's where we'll have big trouble.     As always in this situation,   I hope I'm wrong.....

Well, do you think GB or Philly can win it all?  If so, you have to include the Colts in that company.  We're basically allowing the same PPG as those two. 

Everyone points out the two worst games, and I agree, if the defense plays like that we won't make it out of the first round.  But what if they play like the Cincy or Baltimore game?  Or even as bad as against Denver and Philly, which were very close.

I've been saying the same thing for the last few years, you don't need a great defense to win the SB anymore.  An average defense having a good day could do it.

I think Rex would be a good hire. The roster we have right now is a good fit for his defence, he has a mouth on him but if he can get him into an organisation that doesn't have big media coverage 24/7, no QB controversy (touch wood), then I think he could be a great DC.

But I would be in 2 minds about letting Manusky go. I like the guy and what he's done so far. It would be an upgrade rather a sacking and back to drawing board. To me it would feel like a bit of d**k move on the front office's part, and that's not what colts are about.

I say we stick Manusky, another draft or 2 and we could be dominant on D.

why is it a dick move when upgrading a coach, but just business when upgrading a player?

why is it a dick move when upgrading a coach, but just business when upgrading a player?

I've been saying the same thing.  Everyone should be evaluated.  Grigs is always trying to improve the roster, the coaches should receive the same scrutiny.

It may turn out that Manusky did a great job, considering his talent.  I'm not sure I can say the same about our O line coaches and the blocking schemes.  We see every week that some of the guys don't have the mobility to make the pulls they're asking of them. 

Well, do you think GB or Philly can win it all?  If so, you have to include the Colts in that company.  We're basically allowing the same PPG as those two. 

Everyone points out the two worst games, and I agree, if the defense plays like that we won't make it out of the first round.  But what if they play like the Cincy or Baltimore game?  Or even as bad as against Denver and Philly, which were very close.

I've been saying the same thing for the last few years, you don't need a great defense to win the SB anymore.  An average defense having a good day could do it.

I think Green Bay and Philly are both better than Indy.

Green Bay just proved it by beating New England who made us look terrible.

And Philly loses their starting QB and plugs in Mark Sanchez and barely misses a beat.    I think both teams have better running games than Indy does and you have to be able to run the ball effectively in Dec/Jan,  and I don't think Indy can.

I think we're not as good as either Green Bay or Philly.    Doubt we'd beat either if we played them any time in December and both teams at full strength.

And Philly loses their starting QB and plugs in Mark Sanchez and barely misses a beat.    I think both teams have better running games than Indy does and you have to be able to run the ball effectively in Dec/Jan,  and I don't think Indy can.

I think we're not as good as either Green Bay or Philly.    Doubt we'd beat either if we played them any time in December and both teams at full strength.

Yet our D is actually statistically better than theirs.  I know that's meaningless.  A professor told me a long time ago - statistics don't lie, but statiticians do.

Tons of reasons the Colts can't win it all, and it's definitely hard to argue against that.

But.. Any given Sunday, right? :)

Yet our D is actually statistically better than theirs.  I know that's meaningless.  A professor told me a long time ago - statistics don't lie, but statiticians do.

Which stat?     Points per game?    Yards per game?    For example,  Philly is 2nd in the NFL in sacks.   So, I guess it depends on which category you're talking about?

And does it really matter at this point on a seasonal basis.    To me right now what matter is who's hot RIGHT NOW.    And both GB and Philly are playing hot right now.    Better than the Colts are.

Don't cut us short if or d can stop the run all we have to do is to out score the other team. Witch we are fully capable. We just need or our offense on the field and our d on the bench.no reason why we can't beat any team. Any give Sunday it's all about momentum. Im still waiting for luck to put it all on the field like against kc last year.

I assume the deciding factor would be if Rex defensive philosophy Would work with pagano's which is ultimately why he was hired as our head coach.maybe chuck really is the end all be all and delegates to munusky defensively.if so rex probably wouldn't work. Rex would probably want complete control of the defense

Which stat?     Points per game?    Yards per game?    For example,  Philly is 2nd in the NFL in sacks.   So, I guess it depends on which category you're talking about?

And does it really matter at this point on a seasonal basis.    To me right now what matter is who's hot RIGHT NOW.    And both GB and Philly are playing hot right now.    Better than the Colts are.

PPG and total yards. I agree, stats can be misleading. But by the same token you can't always judge future games by past results.

The Steelers looked horrible in a few games after we played them, the Bengals have looked better.

It doesn't matter how bad the Pats beat us if we're trending upwards going into the playoffs.

Back to my original point, just because we have an average defense it doesn't mean we're doomed.

PPG and total yards. I agree, stats can be misleading. But by the same token you can't always judge future games by past results.

The Steelers looked horrible in a few games after we played them, the Bengals have looked better.

It doesn't matter how bad the Pats beat us if we're trending upwards going into the playoffs.

Back to my original point, just because we have an average defense it doesn't mean we're doomed.

I hope we're trending upward as we reach the playoffs.

I hope we don't get run over in Dallas and have our upward trend come to a screeching halt!!

Rex will either be a head coach or a media darling. No co-ordinator position for him, it's pretty much written in stone here in New York according to those closest to him:

Link here: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/02/rex-ryan-may-have-a-multimillion-dollar-tv-job-waiting-for-him/

Rex Ryan may have a multimillion-dollar TV job waiting for him

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 2, 2014, 6:02 PM EST
rexryan.jpeg?w=250AP

Don’t cry for Jets coach Rex Ryan when he’s inevitably fired in four weeks. He’ll do just fine without a coaching job.

Ryan, who’s always quick with a quote and would be a natural for a TV job, will make $3 million to $5 million a year if he decides to go the media route next year, industry sources told Richard Deitsch of SI.com. PFT has separately heard that a multimillion-dollar TV offer was being readied for Ryan around this time last year, before Jets owner Woody Johnson decided to keep Ryan for another season.

“He pretty much has everything TV networks would look for. He has personality, he’s not shy about his opinions, and he’s a colorful character,” ESPN senior coordinating producer Seth Markman told Deitsch. “I think he would be successful whether it is in studio or doing games. When I close my eyes and listen to him I hear a little bit of John Madden in him. There is going to be a lot of interest in Rex if that is what he wants to do.”

That kind of money may make Ryan think long and hard about whether he even wants to keep coaching after he’s fired, as he surely will be at the end of this season. And it almost certainly means Ryan wouldn’t take a defensive coordinator job next season.

Ryan was jovial as usual when asked today about the talk that he’ll be sought-after by TV networks in a few weeks.

“I have no idea,” Ryan said. “It must be how handsome I am.”

Making millions of dollars a year as a broadcaster will put Ryan in a position much like Jon Gruden: He’ll remain a prominent figure in the NFL world, and his name will continue to be mentioned when coaching vacancies open. But he won’t be in any hurry to take a coaching job, until he’s sure it’s the right job.

Rex as DC would come in handy for when we play the Patriots. If there is anyone who knows how to answer the Patriots defensively, it's Ryan. A lot of people will argue that Manusky is facing the same issue the other Ryan brother faced in Dallas. They never gave him talented enough players for the scheme. It might be true. Our offense has been completely reconstructed through the draft, while our defense is still made up of stop gap guys who were brought in so we could be competitive. Look at the names on D

-Cory Redding

-RJF

-Landry

-Walden

-Arthur Jones

-Freeman

-Toler

-Sergio Brown

-Mike Adams

-D'Qwell Jackson

-Mcnary

That's not to say all of the guys on that list are mediocre players, but that most of them aren't long term guys and weren't drafted by us, which shows we haven't invested in the D like we should. You have to wonder what Manusky could do with more talented players. Outside of Vontae and Mathis, there aren't any top tier defensive players on this team.

I don't think it's as much of a beef with Manusky well maybe for some but if you can get one of if not the best D mind in football why would you not ? For me he knows how to game plan against the NFL's best something we have been lacking in recent years .

Recent years? I guess those defensive plays last season don't count? I agree our defense is not as good as last season but losing a couple of impact players has more to do with that, not coaching. I don't understand your comment about recent years. This team is only 3 years old and has still went 11-5, 11-5 and 8-4 with 2 playoffs in a row.

I'd love to hire Rex as our DC and either let Munusky go or have him be a positions coach. He is just too inconsistent.

The players are inconsistent, not the coach. The Colts have too many band aids in the defense. Only two impact players and a defensive line that can't stop the run.

Recent years? I guess those defensive plays last season don't count? I agree our defense is not as good as last season but losing a couple of impact players has more to do with that, not coaching. I don't understand your comment about recent years. This team is only 3 years old and has still went 11-5, 11-5 and 8-4 with 2 playoffs in a row.

Did you forgot how many points we gave up most of the season last year ? Teams were getting out to 2 and 3 score leads on a regular basis . IF our D was any good we could have many some serious runs in playoffs not just made it there . 

Rex will either be a head coach or a media darling. No co-ordinator position for him, it's pretty much written in stone here in New York according to those closest to him:

Link here: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/02/rex-ryan-may-have-a-multimillion-dollar-tv-job-waiting-for-him/

Rex Ryan may have a multimillion-dollar TV job waiting for him

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 2, 2014, 6:02 PM EST

rexryan.jpeg?w=250AP

Don’t cry for Jets coach Rex Ryan when he’s inevitably fired in four weeks. He’ll do just fine without a coaching job.

Ryan, who’s always quick with a quote and would be a natural for a TV job, will make $3 million to $5 million a year if he decides to go the media route next year, industry sources told Richard Deitsch of SI.com. PFT has separately heard that a multimillion-dollar TV offer was being readied for Ryan around this time last year, before Jets owner Woody Johnson decided to keep Ryan for another season.

“He pretty much has everything TV networks would look for. He has personality, he’s not shy about his opinions, and he’s a colorful character,” ESPN senior coordinating producer Seth Markman told Deitsch. “I think he would be successful whether it is in studio or doing games. When I close my eyes and listen to him I hear a little bit of John Madden in him. There is going to be a lot of interest in Rex if that is what he wants to do.”

That kind of money may make Ryan think long and hard about whether he even wants to keep coaching after he’s fired, as he surely will be at the end of this season. And it almost certainly means Ryan wouldn’t take a defensive coordinator job next season.

Ryan was jovial as usual when asked today about the talk that he’ll be sought-after by TV networks in a few weeks.

“I have no idea,” Ryan said. “It must be how handsome I am.”

Making millions of dollars a year as a broadcaster will put Ryan in a position much like Jon Gruden: He’ll remain a prominent figure in the NFL world, and his name will continue to be mentioned when coaching vacancies open. But he won’t be in any hurry to take a coaching job, until he’s sure it’s the right job.

That really doesn't say anything other than people thinking he would be good on tv and guessing.

I've been saying the same thing.  Everyone should be evaluated.  Grigs is always trying to improve the roster, the coaches should receive the same scrutiny.

It may turn out that Manusky did a great job, considering his talent.  I'm not sure I can say the same about our O line coaches and the blocking schemes.  We see every week that some of the guys don't have the mobility to make the pulls they're asking of them. 

I think considering that we lost Mathis, have what I consider to be below average talent at S, and need a playmaker on the LOS that Manusky has done a decent job. He needs more talented players IMO

Did you forgot how many points we gave up most of the season last year ? Teams were getting out to 2 and 3 score leads on a regular basis . IF our D was any good we could have many some serious runs in playoffs not just made it there . 

I understand that. It's a personnel problem, not a coaching problem. Manusky did not forget how to coach. Everyone just keeps over looking the fact that the Colts are still in rebuild mode. If anything the Colts have over achieved with the players they have due to the coaches. Rex Ryan is not the answer. The Colts are still a draft or two away from being a super bowl contender. The expectations of fans does not mean things happen quickly.

That really doesn't say anything other than people thinking he would be good on tv and guessing.

No but the New York radio media is all over it and those close to Rex are saying NO WAY he will be a co-ordinator - so forget about rexy...

You don't have to  believe me - it's all good.....

It is HIGHLY unlikely that he'll go back to being a defensive coordinator. First off I'm sure if he is really canned at the end of the year then he may have a good shot for some head coaching gigs in college (would he go to college to be a HC over a coordinator in the NFL? Likely I'd say).

Second, a handful of coaches will loose their jobs this year in the NFL and I think he will be offered a position as HC by one of those teams.

Personally I think Rex is best suited for Oakland. The players and fans of oakland would all just thrive under Rex Ryan's aggressive and somewhat chaotic arrogance he has. I think his players as a HC in Oakland would respond well and give him the swagger he wants.

Aside from that I just don't think Rex's personality would fit with Pagano, I think it'd be a lot of head butting..even with Grigson and Irsay. Rex has to be somewhere where he can do what he wants for the most part (that's how I see it)

Rex as DC would come in handy for when we play the Patriots. If there is anyone who knows how to answer the Patriots defensively, it's Ryan. A lot of people will argue that Manusky is facing the same issue the other Ryan brother faced in Dallas. They never gave him talented enough players for the scheme. It might be true. Our offense has been completely reconstructed through the draft, while our defense is still made up of stop gap guys who were brought in so we could be competitive. Look at the names on D

-Cory Redding

-RJF

-Landry

-Walden

-Arthur Jones

-Freeman

-Toler

-Sergio Brown

-Mike Adams

-D'Qwell Jackson

-Mcnary

That's not to say all of the guys on that list are mediocre players, but that most of them aren't long term guys and weren't drafted by us, which shows we haven't invested in the D like we should. You have to wonder what Manusky could do with more talented players. Outside of Vontae and Mathis, there aren't any top tier defensive players on this team.

Ryan is 3-9 all time vs. New England -- he hasn't done squat as far as stopping them since he had Revis.

I don't know if there are enough feet here in Indy to keep the man happy. He will only be a head coach... and I can see a team like Oakland bringing in both Ryans because that is the kind of thing they seem to enjoy doing. Inflicting pain on their own fans.