Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I still don't understand Why Moncrief isn't getting more snaps

RockThatBlue

Ughhhhhhh.....

My point wasn't that "OMG he beat the beast that is knowns as Brandon "GOAT" Bornwner!11!"

My point is that on one of the 5 passing plays he was in on, he had a walk in TD and didn't play again after that. Then again I don't expect much more from a team that gives Trent Richardson carries.

Also, regardless of what happened last game, Nicks is just awful. Moncrief is clearly better than him. 

I'd rather see Moncrief play than Nicks. I doubt Nicks is re-signed, and Moncrief should be a big part of the future. Plus, Moncrief is capable of producing. I would be fine with phasing Nicks out.

I just disagree with the "Nicks is awful" angle, and the "this staff hates good players" angle, etc. 

For those saying that its because hes a rookie are wrong IMO. Several rookie WRs are getting a lot if snaps this year. Look at Cooks, ODB, John Brown, etc etc.... If they can get a decent amount of snaps why can't Moncrief?

And yes, I realize we are deep at receiver, but Moncrief should still see the field more than he does.

I know theres been several people talking about this the last few weeks, but its frustrating. I feel like hes done enough to get more snaps. I thought I heard he only had like 2 or 3 snaps against the pats. If true thats plain ridiculous.

Moncrief has nearly 200 snaps on the season.. hes got 17 catches.. thats why hes not playing.. plain and simple

For those saying that its because hes a rookie are wrong IMO. Several rookie WRs are getting a lot if snaps this year. Look at Cooks, ODB, John Brown, etc etc.... If they can get a decent amount of snaps why can't Moncrief?

And yes, I realize we are deep at receiver, but Moncrief should still see the field more than he does.

171 snaps is a good amount.. hes not doing anything when he is in. 17 catches.. cant blame coaching like every one else is.. nicks has a better rap sheet.. plus he makes plays

Not one thing in particular but Richardson did make the comment last year that the size of the playbook was no joke and much bigger then what he had to learn with the Browns.

There is the lack of fundamentals by the O Line...That's not to say the lack of fundamentals is an indicator of the size of the playbook but its certainly not a stretch there could much more a focus on the playbook and learning the ins and outs and preparing for our next opponent rather then perfecting some run plays(I other words its not the sixe of the playbook but the execution of the plays involved).

I also don't think our run plays do quite enough to compliment each other. We run multiple different run plays but I think we could do a better job of getting ILB's and D Linemen flowing one way with a few runs in a row flowing to one direction using different blocking schemes then hit them up the middle with a cut back run that looks like an outside zone run.

I've heard that many times that Peps playbook is ridiculous in terms of how many plays are in it .  

While I do think Moncrief deserves more of Nick's snaps at this point, I'm not too concerned with it at this point in the season. Moncrief is a rookie, and while I think they should start working him in more than they are it's okay to take things slower as a rookie. Remember we don't see him day in and day out at practice.

Now the lack of a rushing attack, that's a topic I am concerned about.

Sure but look what teams they're on.  Sammie Watkins- Bills  Kelvin Benjamin-Panthers among others.  Those teams just don't have depth like the Colts do at the WR position.  Moncrief does see the field.  If he had as many snaps as Nicks people would say, it's okay he isn't putting up big numbers because he is a rookie, he will be better soon enough.  In reality he would be in the same boat Nicks is in, being a 5th option on a high powered offense.

The real question is, are the people who think Moncrief will put up (significantly) better numbers than Nicks serious?  Not gonna happen unless Luck throws 70x a game instead of 45...  Not enough plays!

No, it's not about numbers. It's about attributes. Moncrief does a better job of getting separation, and is a better deep threat. His presence would change the way teams defend the passing attack. 

And then there's the future to worry about. Nicks probably isn't here after this year; Moncrief is hopefully a future starter. The more reps he gets, the better, especially if they're coming at the expense of a fill-in vet who isn't really producing. 

I say this as someone who isn't complaining about Nicks. But at this point, I think we should be a little more progressive with the transition to Moncrief.

No, it's not about numbers. It's about attributes. Moncrief does a better job of getting separation, and is a better deep threat. His presence would change the way teams defend the passing attack. 

And then there's the future to worry about. Nicks probably isn't here after this year; Moncrief is hopefully a future starter. The more reps he gets, the better, especially if they're coming at the expense of a fill-in vet who isn't really producing. 

I say this as someone who isn't complaining about Nicks. But at this point, I think we should be a little more progressive with the transition to Moncrief.

To expand on your point being more progressive with Moncriefs transition..........Nick Offensive Snap Count vs Patriots: 38.......Moncrief: 10

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts

I'd like to see more Moncrief, if nothing else it give more  chances for Luck to get used to him.  I wonder how, and how much or the route tree Moncrief can perform?  How much of the play book does Moncrief possess?  How many practice reps does Luck and Moncrief have to increase timing?

How badly Luck missed Moncrief on the potential TD tells me their knowledge and timing of each other could use improvement.  But I'd like to ramp up the avenues of improvement, practice and game time.

Moncrief has nearly 200 snaps on the season.. hes got 17 catches.. thats why hes not playing.. plain and simple

yeah and Nicks has 413 snaps on the season and only 23 catches for 227 yards and Moncrief has 17 catches for 218 yards in 171 snaps. So basically Moncrief has the same receiving yards as Nicks and has played less than half the snaps that Nicks has. Moncrief should be taking over the majority of Nicks snaps and Nicks should be riding the bench except when we need 4 receivers out there

yeah and Nicks has 413 snaps on the season and only 23 catches for 227 yards and Moncrief has 17 catches for 218 yards in 171 snaps. So basically Moncrief has the same receiving yards as Nicks and has played less than half the snaps that Nicks has. Moncrief should be taking over the majority of Nicks snaps and Nicks should be riding the bench except when we need 4 receivers out there

thats what I was saying in the limited time moncrief has been in he has been better than nicks and if he had the same targets he would have double the production

You continually have no idea what you are talking about. This is no exception:

He has 17 catches on 113 pass plays. He's averaging a catch every 6.6 pass plays

TY is averaging a catch every 7.1 pass plays. 

Nicks is averaging a catch every 14.2 pass plays. 

Plain and simple all right. 

You continually have no idea what you are talking about. This is no exception:

He has 17 catches on 113 pass plays. He's averaging a catch every 6.6 pass plays

TY is averaging a catch every 7.1 pass plays. 

Nicks is averaging a catch every 14.2 pass plays. 

Plain and simple all right. 

True that, numbers never lie. Feed Moncrief.

They need to get the man more playing time.  I've already stated more than once having him on the field at the same time as T.Y. will discourage defenses from doubling up T.Y. As I was giving things further contemplation, now that we have J. Cribbs I'm even trying to imagine a formation with all 3 on the field at the same time.  Just too much speed to stop a big play.  Since Cribbs has the quarterback background I can even imagine some wildcat formations with Cribbs running and backing up to throw the deep ball to Moncrief or T.Y. Or even something with Luck on the field pitching out to Cribbs on a halfback pass. Lots of crazy options!

I definitely agree with you're point of view, if it's for the future.  Moncrief does get better separation also, but one thing he doesn't have that Nicks does is experience, and in big games.  He has shined in the spotlight before, I think Nicks will be key in the last part of the season and playoffs.  I do think Moncrief is good and will be even better in a few years, but I'm not so sure Nicks will be gone after this season.  It's hard to say, but if he continues to not be productive I would say they'll let him walk.  I think he is capable of producing, but isn't really given a great opportunity.  If he was played as a true #2 then we would see a difference, but being listed behind 2 other great WR's and TE's it's hard for him to really show his talent.  The most he can really do is make an a few catches a game.  He never even gets a majority of snaps, so I'm not too upset with his production at this time, eventhough he can contribute more.  One thing that goes unnoticed by a lot of people is his ability to block on the outside.  Our RB's have a hard time turning the corner though.

I know theres been several people talking about this the last few weeks, but its frustrating. I feel like hes done enough to get more snaps. I thought I heard he only had like 2 or 3 snaps against the pats. If true thats plain ridiculous.

Griggs paid him so he plays. Like that 2nd year of McGlynn. Ego?