Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coaches working with Andrew Luck to cut down his mental mistakes

TKnight24

Good Morning :colts: Nation

@HolderStephen: Hope you learn something from this Andrew Luck story I'm working on. Details how Colts are working to improve him on mental side of the game

@HolderStephen: He's starting to understand how defenses force him into mistakes. The next step is to see those things BEFORE they happen.

@HolderStephen: How they're going about it is really interesting. Stay tuned..

Article coming soon, will post when Stephen writes it up. If the time limit to edit this post ends before he posts it, maybe one of the Mods could pop it up here for everyone to easily see

:coltslogo:

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it seems luck's ints are more him trying to make a play then him making a mental mistake

Eh, still mental cause he should be thinking "Throw the ball away"

Which he does throw it away....... To the other team. But this article should be a good one when it drops.

Luck being a great player is a gift and a curse. Great players always believe they can make something happen

Which he does throw it away....... To the other team. But this article should be a good one when it drops.

Luck being a great player is a gift and a curse. Great players always believe they can make something happen

I like to think luck has a little brett favre in him

What I see is only a few of his int's are his fault he has had a lot tipped passes some that should have been caught by hy his WR's.

Definitely. More Brett Farve than Manning for sure.

luck is an interesting combination of so many QBs. hes mobile like rodgers, built like big ben, cerebral like peyton, slick in the pocket like brady or brees, risk-taker like favre, and a cannon for an arm like cutler or stafford

This sounds awesome. Everything is there for Luck to be among the best to ever play the game. IMO, mental improvement can only happen with experience and tireless study of the game. The Colts can help speed that up with better pass protection and a solid run game. The little things like not staring down a receiver at times can turn the tables on the defense, confuse them where he`s going with the ball. Seeing the wide open receiver and delivering there instead of a predetermined pass to a covered WR. Those are all things that can be fixed and no doubt Andrew will correct. We as fans discuss these things on here a lot and its cool to hear the Colts see the same things and are working on fixing. The future is so bright  

I think the problem can be fixed pretty easily. Just last season the Colts led with the fewest turnovers. Andrew is a young guy. He has to learn not to get faked out by the defense and to throw the ball away instead of trying to make something happen.. even on third and long.

Locking onto Reggie Wayne, and forcing passes to Reggie Wayne also

I think this is old news now, ever since he (Reggie) went down with injury.

Luck does seem to have umm bad luck with tipped balls but then again why so many tips? I can remember a couple of picks that I'd put on Nicks' being lazy in his route running but Luck does also make some just plain bad decisions but I'm not overly concerned with it.

This sounds awesome. Everything is there for Luck to be among the best to ever play the game. IMO, mental improvement can only happen with experience and tireless study of the game. The Colts can help speed that up with better pass protection and a solid run game. The little things like not staring down a receiver at times can turn the tables on the defense, confuse them where he`s going with the ball. Seeing the wide open receiver and delivering there instead of a predetermined pass to a covered WR. Those are all things that can be fixed and no doubt Andrew will correct. We as fans discuss these things on here a lot and its cool to hear the Colts see the same things and are working on fixing. The future is so bright  

Very bright!

If he had done nothing, he would have been touched down for a safety as well. Unless he just tried to barrel roll out of the end zone like his jersey was on fire.

And then he cuts under a linemen's ankles and we lose him for a season...not worth the two points imo

I think he made the right choice, I mean if he had got it near a receiver, we avoid the grounding and its next down, which is what he was going for.

It's called GROWTH and EXPERIENCE!!! I'm amazed how people pick at his game instead of appreciating it. They showed a couple of stats on espn and as amazing as Tom Brady started his career through 41games Luck has ONE less win, the SAME amount of ints 36 but MORE tds and yds than Brady at the same point. His stats are BETTER than Peyton's when he started ESPECIALLY in ints and Luck's winning percentage is like FOURTH all time to start a career while taking the most hits with a subpar o-line (which has gotten better) to start his career. He's had two oc's and started with a rookie hc ALL while REPLACING the GOAT who by the way is STILL playing at a very HIGH level yet Luck leads the league in most stats now! I think Andrew will be just fine..... :violin:   

It's called GROWTH and EXPERIENCE!!! I'm amazed how people pick at his game instead of appreciating it. They showed a couple of stats on espn and as amazing as Tom Brady started his career through 41games Luck has ONE less win, the SAME amount of ints 36 but MORE tds and yds than Brady at the same point. His stats are BETTER than Peyton's when he started ESPECIALLY in ints and Luck's winning percentage is like FOURTH all time to start a career while taking the most hits with a subpar o-line (which has gotten better) to start his career. He's had two oc's and started with a rookie hc ALL while REPLACING the GOAT who by the way is STILL playing at a very HIGH level yet Luck leads the league in most stats now! I think Andrew will be just fine..... :violin:

No one is perfect. Just cause we're pointing out his flaws doesn't mean we don't "appreciate" him

This forum would be pointless if all we did was praise players 24/7

It's like threads like these hit a sensitive nerve or something. When it's making fun of Landry or something it's no biggy. But when it's the likes of Luck, Reggie, Mathis etc etc...... Then it's a problem?

Then you start questioning people's fandom and all that. I just don't understand it

:rantoff:

No one is perfect. Just cause we're pointing out his flaws doesn't mean we don't "appreciate" him

This forum would be pointless if all we did was praise players 24/7

It's like threads like these hit a sensitive nerve or something. When it's making fun of Landry or something it's no biggy. But when it's the likes of Luck, Reggie, Mathis etc etc...... Then it's a problem?

Then you start questioning people's fandom and all that. I just don't understand it

:rantoff:

No one questioned anyone's fandom.

Bluephantom pointed out a lack of perspective. Third year QBs -- even great ones -- make mistakes.

It's easy to sit on one's couch and say what a QB should have done in a frenzied situation like that.

Is there really any need for this. Doesn't add anything to the discussion when the whole topic is about Luck cutting down on mental mistakes. I was simply stating mistakes he make that aren't only interceptions. I was saying what he could, not should, have done. It was a mistake he made. That's a fact. This post is disappointing.

Is there really any need for this. Doesn't add anything to the discussion when the whole topic is about Luck cutting down on mental mistakes. I was simply stating mistakes he make that aren't only interceptions. I was saying what he could, not should, have done. It was a mistake he made. That's a fact. This post is disappointing.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. You look at a difficult situation in hindsight and say what a player should have done, but that's a much different burden than actually making the perfect decision in the heat of the moment. I don't know how that's even arguable, much less disappointing.

Just to be clear, I'm talking specifically about the safety against the Steelers. The only chance he had was to roll out of the end zone, but that's one of probably four choices. He has to diagnose that on the spot, and make the right decision, based on information that he really doesn't have at the moment (like the fact that, if his entire body isn't out of the end zone when he throws it, it's going to be a safety). To say "yeah, he really messed that up" ignores the difficult circumstances. 

By contrast, he made a really stupid decision to try to throw the ball away instead of taking a sack against the Giants. Just flipped the ball out, in the field of play, which could easily have been picked off. That's a situation he's been in before, and everyone knows that you don't throw the ball away in the field of play while you're being sacked. That's much different, and that's a play that deserves plenty of criticism. The safety against Pittsburgh is much more of a nitpick.

No one questioned anyone's fandom.

Bluephantom pointed out a lack of perspective. Third year QBs -- even great ones -- make mistakes.

Well, wasn't towards bluephantom so apologies if they feel that way. But it's just a select few who do make it seem like you're a bad fan or something just for pointing out the flaws of certain player