Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Center Situation (Merge)

CR91

that botched snap almost cost us the game and it wasnt like there were running lanes or luck wasnt getting pressured up the middle. why is shipley in the doghouse? and for that matter why is holmes in the doghouse? what has harrison done to prove hes better then shipley and holmes? starting line for next week better be canstanzo mewhort shipley thornton chelius or else peko and atkins are gonna have a field day

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that botched snap almost cost us the game and it wasnt like there were running lanes or luck wasnt getting pressured up the middle. why is shipley in the doghouse? and for that matter why is holmes in the doghouse? what has harrison done to prove hes better then shipley and holmes? starting line for next week better be canstanzo mewhort shipley thornton chelius or else peko and atkins are gonna have a field day

I thought Harrison was pretty stout last night.

The botched snap may be partially Luck's fault.

That having been said I am with you, there where no real running lanes, although Luck's pressure up the middle was fairly minimal.  

But honestly I don't know what was wrong with Shipley or why Holmes hasn't gotten in there.  We where told that he would *probably* be ready for week 1.  Ok sometimes some things take longer. . .  But this was Week 6.  He should have been more then ready by now.

And how bad are the injuries to Mewhort and Thornton?  Are they going to be available against the Bengals?

The Shipley love is lost on me.  Guy is a nice player and good to have but you should get used to Harrison at center. 

Can you grasp the concept that he can get better while Shipley has proven to be what he is - he has reached his ceiling.

The Shipley love is lost on me.  Guy is a nice player and good to have but you should get used to Harrison at center. 

Can you grasp the concept that he can get better while Shipley has proven to be what he is - he has reached his ceiling.

and what ceiling is that? what has shipley done in the first four weeks to deserve being benched?

Harrison is better at run blocking thats for sure. For being an undrafted free agent and only his second start the kid is playing big time.

Kid is pretty strong. I think we'd have a pretty solid wall in there with Mewhort, Harrison, and Thornton.

I'm extra giddy as well because now we know we also have real good depth behind them with Louis and Reitz.  

Plus in a little while Xavier Nixon will be back!

This is the NFL not pee wee football. If player A is better than player B then player A starts.

what has player A done to prove hes better then player B. I understand im not in the colts faculty and I dont have insider information on what pagano and his staff sees that makes harrison our best option at C, but when you lose your job abruptly not because of play or injury then something is up 

and what ceiling is that? what has shipley done in the first four weeks to deserve being benched?

There's a lot of NFL film on Shipley, with us and the Ravens. His ceiling (mostly limited I suspect to his physical abilities), is pretty much established now. Harrision potentially offers more upside and you've got to blood the rookie at some point. He's played fairly well in both games and I particularly  enjoyed him pancaking JJ Watt. 

Snaps can be worked on, though I do think the one last night was partly on Luck if only for Luck's reaction after where he went over to Harrison and seemed to offer an apology. 

The long term issue now with Shipley is that he can only play C, where Harrison/Holmes can at least project to G too. 

There's a lot of NFL film on Shipley, with us and the Ravens. His ceiling (mostly limited I suspect to his physical abilities), is pretty much established now. Harrision potentially offers more upside and you've got to blood the rookie at some point. He's played fairly well in both games and I particularly  enjoyed him pancaking JJ Watt. 

Snaps can be worked on, though I do think the one last night was partly on Luck if only for Luck's reaction after where he went over to Harrison and seemed to offer an apology. 

that means nothing. luck will never throw anyone under the bus

I thought I saw Shipley in the game a couple times last night around the goaline.  Honestly when Xavier Nixon gets back I wouldn't be surprised if we let Shipley go just because of the amount of good young centers we have.  Plus good offensive line depth as a whole.

I thought I saw Shipley in the game a couple times last night around the goaline.  Honestly when Xavier Nixon gets back I wouldn't be surprised if we let Shipley go just because of the amount of good young centers we have.  Plus good offensive line depth as a whole.

I wonder what we will do with #39 when he returns

Harrison actually played very well yesterday and that snap was on Luck. Harrison couldn't hear the count and when the guard tapped him to snap the ball, Luck took his eyes off the ball.

yep Luck is clearly calling for the snap and takes his eyes off it to check the play clock.

I can see why they want to see more of Harrison he's a big guy and has raw talent I just wish they would have started the experiment in the Titans or Jags game rather than going into the most difficult part of the schedule.

what has player A done to prove hes better then player B. I understand im not in the colts faculty and I dont have insider information on what pagano and his staff sees that makes harrison our best option at C, but when you lose your job abruptly not because of play or injury then something is up

i am not sure it was Pagano's call. The local media isn't so sure it was his call either. When he's asked about it he's very careful in how he answers and avoids answering with a real reason. I think it might have been forced on him from someone further up the food chain.

i am not sure it was Pagano's call. The local media isn't so sure it was his call either. When he's asked about it he's very careful in how he answers and avoids answering with a real reason. I think it might have been forced on him from someone further up the food chain.

even if thats the case, what possible reason would upper management have to choose harrison over our other Cs

even if thats the case, what possible reason would upper management have to choose harrison over our other Cs

they think he's better with more upside. You don't have to agree with the reason and it's cool if you don't that's whst this place is for but I would say that's probably the reason.

I honestly give them 50/50 blame for the botched snap.

In the replay that was on Luck's face. He's clearly motioning for the ball to be snapped, and when it doesn't he looks away and in that instance the snap comes.

It's just a chemistry thing, not a fatal flaw on Harrison.

I don't understand the love for Shipley either but I understand the infatuation with Harrison even less.  The bad snap was not on Luck, it was a bad snap by Harrison.  Luck may have been able to save it if he hadn't glanced at the clock but it was still a bad snap.  Additionally, Harrison got pushed back a lot.  On Watt's first sack, Luck had to scramble to the right because there was no where for his to step up in the pocket.

The line as a whole did average last night.  They started off like gang busters but then you could see they were getting tired.  The way I'd rank the oline last night in order from best to worst is:

AC

Louis

Reitz

Harrison

GC

Louis and Reitz were close IMO.  Reitz looked great in the first half but really struggled in the 2nd.  Louis was solid the entire game.

I agree. I'm really enjoying this three tight end setup.

But in some cases he can come in and throw a block.

He was at the bottom of the league in that category last season. Let him go, he's expendable. I'm not willing to take any combination of our tight ends or receivers off the field at an point in the game for a fullback that can't even block

that means nothing. luck will never throw anyone under the bus

+1

Luck blamed himself for Reggie tearing his ACL last year!

Although to be fair it may be partially his fault, he took his eyes off the ball after he didn't get the snap.  Shouldn't have done that.  However Harrison is at fault for not snapping when he is suppose to.