Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mewhort Out

Cynjin

Thornton has Never had a game where he pass blocked as well as Louis did.

His run blocking was as good or better than Thornton also.

He had one great pull which is Thorntons New Talent, unfortunately Castonzo and Mewhort got handled all game long so the runs to the left got stuffed time after time.

Good analysis thou otherwise.

What handled Castonzo, & Mewhort OK???????????????????

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lance Louis was good in pass protection last week. Mewhort is a better run blocker but I didn't think we we're going to be able to run the ball vs the Ravens front 7 with him, Luck will have to pass for 300 yards and 3 TD's for us to win it.

I'm more concerned about Sergio Brown starting, the same guy who let Gabbert beat us with a game winning TD. He's a good tackler but can't cover, takes bad angles. I still think we'll win because of how good Luck, the CB's, and run defense has been. It'll just be a closer game.

So he's an upgrade to Landry.

I don't know how to grade Harrison on 8 snaps. He wasn't bad in those 8 snaps. In the preseason, I wasn't impressed with Harrison at center.

I thought Louis was fine. Not a world beater, but he got some push and sealed some holes. Cherilus was more concerning on Sunday, to be honest. And just in general, some of the run blocking was sloppy, like some pulls from Mewhort not finding defenders, or Doyle coming out of the backfield and not blocking anyone, etc. Louis missed some run blocks also, but I didn't think he was the reason we struggled to open up lanes. Again, Thornton is definitely better, but I'm not down on Louis at all. 

JMO

Mewhort has struggled with pulling since he got here. It was hard to tell at first if he wasn't getting there but I agree with you he struggles to find the block.

It is one of Pep's favorite plays so he won't stop calling it but I have seen it since jump street. I thought Mewhort was getting a little better at it but I am not sure I have seen that play gain more than a yard.

Cherilus was by far the weak link on Sunday. Hopefully it was just an off day. I will go back and watch him more closely with my NFL Rewind in the other games. Sunday's game was bad for sure.

Hopefully Mewhort is only down one game but Lance will do fine. Other than the false start last week I wouldn't even have known he was in the game. The penalty was late. The game was well in hand. Hasselbeck might even have been in. He should be better at pulling a lot more experience doing it. I doubt that Mewhort was asked to pull much at OSU.

I wonder about Reitz I think he is our best back up. Because we are thin at T? Guess it would make sense. Agree I am not sure how anyone is evaluating Harrison off of 7 snaps.

wow

How do you evaluate anything if you don't know who is on the field.

I know who is on the field.  I just though the was on there for longer than he really was.  My evaluations aren't absolute truth.  There are many others on here to go back and re-watch the games, so they have a better idea of what's going on.  That's why I deferred to them

From what I recall (and your recollection is probably better), the OL seemed to open running lanes better as a unit with Harrison than what they did with Louis.  It might be similar to the Shipley/Satele situation where Satele was the superior talent, but the OL performed better with Shipley.  Louis might be the better talent, but the OL appeared to block better with Harrison.  I don't recall Louis getting beat very badly and giving up sacks all over the place, but I do recall seeing him struggle to open up running lanes

Harrison has only played 8 snaps all season so it's tough to conclude anything positive or negative, IMO.

I know who is on the field. I just though the was on there for longer than he really was. My evaluations aren't absolute truth. There are many others on here to go back and re-watch the games, so they have a better idea of what's going on. That's why I deferred to them

apparently not

I don't know how to grade Harrison on 8 snaps. He wasn't bad in those 8 snaps. In the preseason, I wasn't impressed with Harrison at center.

I thought Louis was fine. Not a world beater, but he got some push and sealed some holes. Cherilus was more concerning on Sunday, to be honest. And just in general, some of the run blocking was sloppy, like some pulls from Mewhort not finding defenders, or Doyle coming out of the backfield and not blocking anyone, etc. Louis missed some run blocks also, but I didn't think he was the reason we struggled to open up lanes. Again, Thornton is definitely better, but I'm not down on Louis at all. 

JMO

After re watching the game, thats how I saw it as well. The biggest loss last week was Thorntons "pull", if you will. They, for the most part refused to pull Louis (safe assumption is because he isnt that good at it). The handful of times they did pull, it was mostly from Mewhort, who as of yet is not a real quality pulling guard. As a result, they did a lot more basic down blocking schemes then usual, combine that with a great defensive front with aggressive playcalling and as you mentioned Cherilus's sloppy run blocking play its really not surprising they couldnt get over 100 last week.

However, flipping Louis over to LG and Thornton back at RG is a much better fit. Louis can play to his strengths, still have a pulling guard and we run away from Cherilus's side. Better Oline this week then last IMO. We should find out just how good this Oline is week. They're up against one of the best fronts in the league but a mediocre secondary. If the Colts establish the run, I dont see them losing this one.

Sucks, but playing without a one starter on the offensive line is fairly normal around the league. I'm sure a Falcons fan would love to be down only one guard.

I have felt the same way with injuries/inactives in general. I mean i feel like every team has to deal with at least one injury or inactive that is a bummer every week.

After re watching the game, thats how I saw it as well. The biggest loss last week was Thorntons "pull", if you will. They, for the most part refused to pull Louis (safe assumption is because he isnt that good at it). The handful of times they did pull, it was mostly from Mewhort, who as of yet is not a real quality pulling guard. As a result, they did a lot more basic down blocking schemes then usual, combine that with a great defensive front with aggressive playcalling and as you mentioned Cherilus's sloppy run blocking play its really not surprising they couldnt get over 100 last week.

However, flipping Louis over to LG and Thornton back at RG is a much better fit. Louis can play to his strengths, still have a pulling guard and we run away from Cherilus's side. Better Oline this week then last IMO. We should find out just how good this Oline is week. They're up against one of the best fronts in the league but a mediocre secondary. If the Colts establish the run, I dont see them losing this one.

Do you have NFL rewind? Pep loves pulling the LG he came out and said it was one of his favorite running plays. I have died watching Mewhort trying to pull since the first preseason game. There is a option to just watch running plays or just passing plays or the condensed game whatever you want. 

The RG pulling and that unbalanced line was something I haven't seen much before or it didn't catch my eye. I hope he sticks with it because Thorton can pull better than Mewhort and you are pulling the guard to the stronger side of the line with Mewhort and Castanzo well Louis this week. It was hard to miss the plays he tried pulling Mewhort especially early on because they usually ended up in a pile in our backfield.

It was tough to tell at first whether or not Mewhort just didn't have the feet or didn't know what to do once he got there I think Superman nailed it he can get there he just struggles to pick up the defender once he is there.

Obviously you won't be able to see it this weekend. I was hoping I would not see Mewhort pulling in the regular season but I have and he seems to be getting a little better. Thorton is by far the best pulling G we have played although if I remember correctly Reitz isn't bad either.  

I think Thorton does better pulling than shooting straight out and Mewhort better straight out than pulling but Pep was pretty stubborn with pulling LG for a minute. At least that is my take on it. It will be interesting to see what he has in store for the Ravens. I hope he hits them deep a few times.

What do you have against me, man?  Why do you keep coming after me like this?

I totally get what you're saying. Sometimes it's difficult to keep an eye on everyone, particularly the offensive line, since those guys are bunched together all the time.

I hardly ever see the replays as well.. So I feel your pain.