Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

breakdown of Richardson and run game as a whole.

Narcosys

Trich can be a good runner. He doesn't have the vision to be a great runner

"Yet". 

There are numerous examples of physically gifted, excellent college backs hitting this league and taking years to find the ability to see gaps before they form. I've heard it described as an artform, as I'm sure it is. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are even more numerous examples of guys who were good in college and not in the NFL. Which do you think happens more often ?

Certainly. 

However, we've invested a huge amount of value into this RB, and given his tangibles, we would be remiss to not explore his potential to the maximum extent while he's under contract. 

We definitely ran a lot on Monday. Do you think we will run a lot again on Sunday? Seems like we tend on doing the opposite, every other game.

Pep said after the game the plan was going in to keep the Eagles offense off the field as much as possible to slow them down so they could not tire out the defense, Personally I would like to jump on the Jags early and force Henne to throw all day to try to catch up but our defense has to do there part and that's iffy right now at best

I wish people would actually watch Trent Richardson instead of repeating incorrect data that someone else has made up.

ibpoKRlTcEdqZ8.gif

The thing is he ruined this play. If you watch, that right side was going to be open. The TE would have kept going up field to block the safety and Trent would have been gone. He got a couple yards but failed to see the developing hole and blocks.

I wish people would actually watch Trent Richardson instead of repeating incorrect data that someone else has made up.

ibpoKRlTcEdqZ8.gif

He made an ok choice to not follow the play design here. a faster running back might have stayed with the play design and got the edge But its hardly impressive, it is a 4-6 yard run.

I'm not just recounting what other people say, his performances speak for themselves. Had the colts not traded a first round pick for him he would likely already be riding pines. When you play 4 seasons in the nfl and your long runs for the year are 15,22,10, and 32....You do not have much "wiggle" . To put this into prospective bradshaw had a 29 yard run against the eagles.. That is pretty much as far as trich's career long.

The Colts ran for about 150 yards and out-gained the Eagles, the NFL's best running team, on the ground.

And the OL had a negative grade according to PFF??

I wasn't wild about the pass blocking, and I think Pep went to the well too many times on certain runs, but a negative grade?

If that's the case, then I'd like more negative grades please...... (smh)

pff is trash

The thing is he ruined this play. If you watch, that right side was going to be open. The TE would have kept going up field to block the safety and Trent would have been gone. He got a couple yards but failed to see the developing hole and blocks.

except for that unblocked lber

ibpoKRlTcEdqZ8.gif

Talk about cherry picking. I have watched him and he is extremely indecisive and lacks burst. By the time he decides to use his "talent" he is already being hit.

For example at the Eagles game. Trent has multiple opportunities to turn his 5 yard runs into big ones but instead ran right into a roaming LB. And this is a game when the oline helped him.

ibpoKRlTcEdqZ8.gif

I think he got all he could get out of that run.  I don't see anything extra he could have done to make it better.  I think he made the right call to cut it back because where the play was originally designed to go, everything was clogged up.  He did good to get the yards he got, and I didn't see anything else he could have possibly done to get anymore outside than he did.

Right now I just want Trent to not fumble the football.  As long as we continue to block like we did last week I believe this will be a productive year for T Rich.  I had a negative outlook on him, but I'm slowly coming around now that he is a bit more sure of himself and the scheme.

I think he got all he could get out of that run.  I don't see anything extra he could have done to make it better.  I think he made the right call to cut it back because where the play was originally designed to go, everything was clogged up.  He did good to get the yards he got, and I didn't see anything else he could have possibly done to get anymore outside than he did.

He should have followed Allen to the outside on that block where Allen obliterated the Linebacker which means Coby should have went up and blocked the outside shoulder of #50 which would have left Trent 1 on 1 on #39 which Trent would have had to win from what I see.

Regardless that's in the past, I expect him to hang onto the ball today and build on his performance last week, He made the remark he thinks he should be getting 90 yards a game in a recent interview posted on the site, I think he can on average but Dwayne Allen has to continue to be used and Jack Doyle up on Linebackers to get them out of there holes and I believe we have to use more angle blocking and continue to pull Thornton while also adding more wrinkles to the run game using those specific players

He did not ruin anything. And the original point was that someone said Richardson did not have any "wiggle". 

You people do not know what you're talking about. 

He made an ok choice to not follow the play design here. a faster running back might have stayed with the play design and got the edge But its hardly impressive, it is a 4-6 yard run.

I'm not just recounting what other people say, his performances speak for themselves. Had the colts not traded a first round pick for him he would likely already be riding pines. When you play 4 seasons in the nfl and your long runs for the year are 15,22,10, and 32....You do not have much "wiggle" . To put this into prospective bradshaw had a 29 yard run against the eagles.. That is pretty much as far as trich's career long.

Richardson was not mentally ready for the NFL and it is very obvious. 

That said, for any person to say that Richardson lacks any physical talents to become a great running back, it is mind-boggling. It does not take a top-tier scout to diagnose how physically talented Trent Richardson is.

He is getting the mental side. It is coming along now. 

Richardson ripped off several 10 yard gains last week, and could very well break 100 today.

Talk about cherry picking. I have watched him and he is extremely indecisive and lacks burst. By the time he decides to use his "talent" he is already being hit.

For example at the Eagles game. Trent has multiple opportunities to turn his 5 yard runs into big ones but instead ran right into a roaming LB. And this is a game when the oline helped him.

Cherry picking? Someone said he did not have any wiggle. I showed them a jump cut that proves he does. 

Trent had several 10 yard hitters in the Eagles game. He ran excellent. 

I think people need to refocus with a new eye on Trent, and it will be easy to see that he is a new player this year. 

He just needs to make sure he holds onto the ball. 

gallery_3489_401_7811750.gif

Well, what is typical of this forum is that once TRich is getting really good yardage, it won't be because the line is blocking better.  It will be he "finally gets it".  Which is bullshmoog.  Same thing with Donald Brown.  I saw him roasted on here for so long.  Then when he did run well, everyone acted like he finally got it.  No, it was that he finally got opportunities and a hole opened up more then him changing.

TRich will be fine.  You don't play football your whole life and at 23 forget how to find holes.  There just needs to be a hole in the first place.

He did not ruin anything. And the original point was that someone said Richardson did not have any "wiggle".

You people do not know what you're talking about.

OK friend you're right and everyone else is wrong. Happy now? Had he went right he would have had a one on one instead of a dog pile. But whatever. I've defended Richardson because of our line, but he is noticeably slow at the hand off.

I'm not seeing how one game with OK yards and 2 fumbles is showing he now gets it and will be great.

He did not have a good game last week, he had a good game for Trent, which is below average to average for pretty much most starting running backs.

The guy breaks on for 10 and everyone loses their minds and act like he is awesome. Never mind when he gets stuffed behind the line, never mind the fumbles, the guy got 10 yards, he's now officially a beast.

Truth is, he will never win. He will never live up to where he was picked.  For that he will always be a bust no matter how much he were to ever turn it around.  Coming into his third season and he is being treated like he should  be producing on a Lynch or AP level.  He was drafted by a % organization as the third pick. About 29 to high.  We needed a rb mid season and the only way you are getting a player no matter how good or bad that was drafted that high is to give up a first rounder. 

The only team dumb enough to even give him up was Cleveland. 

He cares to much about working out and getting stronger than improving speed. The Colts are not helping the situation at all. They are not coaching him, they are not setting up confidence in play calling and snap distribution. Its him vs Bradshaw, when it should be he and Bradshaw vs the defense he is facing. 

I don't think the Browns made a mistake. They unloaded a player that wouldn't have gotten them a 4th rounder after last season.

They seen he wasn't what they had hoped for so they made a good deal to move him. He is consistently being outperformed by a 7th round pick in Bradshaw. 250th player taken vs the 3rd player taken.

I've enjoyed watching Trent so far.  I can tell his game has definitely improved with the full off season and the improved

blocking from the offensive line. Still some more improvements to be made, but I think he and Bradshaw are a pretty 

good combination. I don't care that Bradshaw is a bit better than him as Bradshaw has been in the league longer than

Richardson and he knows what it takes to get it done.

I think comparing their draft selections is a bit irrelevant in my eye because there are many instances in the NFL where lower draft picks do better than higher draft picks. You could go on and on naming different players. Tom Brady is better than just about any quarterback not named Peyton Manning over the last 10 years and he was a 6th round draft pick.  Terrell Davis was better than a lot of backs during his time and he was undrafted.  Richard Sherman is one of the best corners in the league and he was a 6th to 7th round draft pick.  Draft status certainly does not mean that you actually are the best player because there are so many variables around that. I'm just glad that Trent is showing he will be a productive player for us this season.  That's good enough for me right now!

There was a LB in the hole and the TE was no where near the LB.

There was a LB in the hole and the TE was no where near the LB.

Fleener doubled teamed #51. 50 jumped to the outside to the hole you're speaking of. Right to the left of Fleener. Fleener should have blocked him as he should have been looking up field. Leaving only 38 for Trent to beat

Fleener doubled teamed #51. 50 jumped to the outside to the hole you're speaking of. Right to the left of Fleener. Fleener should have blocked him as he should have been looking up field. Leaving only 38 for Trent to beat

There was a linebacker in the gap before that block even happened. That's why Trent cut the run back.

I'm not seeing how one game with OK yards and 2 fumbles is showing he now gets it and will be great.

He did not have a good game last week, he had a good game for Trent, which is below average to average for pretty much most starting running backs.

The guy breaks on for 10 and everyone loses their minds and act like he is awesome. Never mind when he gets stuffed behind the line, never mind the fumbles, the guy got 10 yards, he's now officially a beast.

This is nonsense, through and through.

Unless you're on a crusade against him, you'd watch the Eagles game and see a player having a good game, aside from the two fumbles. And he followed that up with a decent game today. Anyone calling him a beast is being silly, but I don't see anyone calling him a beast, so... yours is a strawman argument. 

There was a linebacker in the gap before that block even happened. That's why Trent cut the run back.[/quoid that's the case then why want he blocked? Did they just completely ignore him and go after the second threat? Are they that incompetent? I think not. From that choppy gif, the block happened first.

He now has too much vision...

No.  The play was designed to go to the middle and the gap was filled, so he cut the run to the left.  It looked like he may also have had an option to go to the right, but it appears it was easier for him to cut it back to the left.

There was a linebacker in the gap before that block even happened. That's why Trent cut the run back.[/quoid that's the case then why want he blocked? Did they just completely ignore him and go after the second threat? Are they that incompetent? I think not. From that choppy gif, the block happened first.

Is it really a matter of competence, or a matter of you watching what happened on all fronts?