Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Everything Trent Richardson [Merge]

LordHelpOurColts

he won't have trouble finding one

I agree, Someone will look at his draft position olus measurables and think they can turn him into more then a goal line Back(and rightfully so)...Thing is I think he can be one(If his decision making improves after he gets the hand off) but he has to get with a rb that's his body type who can teach him to run behind his pads and use his size to his advantage instead of trying to run taller then he is(you can really see it in his cuts where he tries to extend the leg he cuts with way out and when he runs upright often instead of keeping his head up and lowering his pads)...As great as Edge James was he is a different type of Back.....Trent needs to get with a MJD type of Back....short...stocky build http://footballbeyondthestats.wordpress.com/2013/09/11/breaking-down-the-cutting-actions-of-rbs-part-2/

Just all my opinions on what I read, I think there is some merit in it but of course Im just a fan giving my opinion based on what I read...However I think we can find an upgrade easily when the time comes

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with krunk. Giving up on the run game had a trickle down effect that impacted the pass protection as well as the defense. not to mention rendering play action ineffective.

I am starting to wonder if we are that interested in a running game. We had 14 carries for 83 yards vs NYG in a game we had control of and Luck still dropped back 46x. I know Boom came in to kill clock and added to the carries but the starting backs combined for 14 carries when we were averaging 6 yards a carry.

I am not complaining we are winning and we certainly have the players to throw it around the field.

Is the Richardson a bust idea laid to rest yet?  Or do I need to wait a couple more weeks before asking again

Is the Richardson a bust idea laid to rest yet?  Or do I need to wait a couple more weeks before asking again?

yes, he is one of, if not the worst starting backs in the NFL. Amukamara tackled him with one hand one the play where he got hurt, could not believe it, one hand. Never seen a back that is one foot from a first down, that gets stood straight up and stopped dead in his tracks so often, and where did this great blocker come from, very average blocker, below average runner. Herron or Tipton would out perform Trich if given a chance. Never has any back done so little and been praised so much for it.

Is the Richardson a bust idea laid to rest yet? Or do I need to wait a couple more weeks before asking again

Is the Richardson a bust idea laid to rest yet? Or do I need to wait a couple more weeks before asking again?

yes, he is one of, if not the worst starting backs in the NFL. Amukamara tackled him with one hand one the play where he got hurt, could not believe it, one hand. Never seen a back that is one foot from a first down, that gets stood straight up and stopped dead in his tracks so often, and where did this great blocker come from, very average blocker, below average runner. Herron or Tipton would out perform Trich if given a chance. Never has any back done so little and been praised so much for it.

he won't have trouble finding one

He will be a Colt next year. He doesn't become a free agent until the 2016 season. I would not be surprised to see him in a Colts uniform longer than one more year. If he is willing to play essentially the role he plays in the offense now at a reasonable price I see no reason Grig's wouldn't keep him around.

If you take the fact that we traded a 1st round pick out of the equation he is a serviceable running back. I would think we would look for someone a little more dynamic to be the lead back. I would hope that we do that through the draft and not pay big money for a FA. IMO that is not the position to invest big money get your guy through the draft unless you stumble on a great one. The running back position is not what it used to be. It is a passing league. 

If Trent is realistic when it comes to money I could see him being around for a while. He is great in blitz pick up, he can catch the ball and he is improving running the ball. He knows the offense.  

He's averaging 48 yards per game...soooo

Ben Tate is averaging 51 yards per game

Terrance West is averaging 43 yards per game

I guess they both suck too right?  Since apparently yards per game is the only stat that matters.  I guess we're not going to take into consideration how many carries per game.  That would make too much sense right?  

Is the Richardson a bust idea laid to rest yet?  Or do I need to wait a couple more weeks before asking again

Is the Richardson a bust idea laid to rest yet?  Or do I need to wait a couple more weeks before asking again?

Ok Gavin I will try and remember to check back after next season when the Colts cut Ballard and keep Bradshaw and Richardson!  That way I can make you apologize lol

Honestly, I hope they keep all three. I want Ballard to come back completely healthy and be just as good and productive as he was his rookie year.

Oh sorry, I try to avoid pointless arugements with "stat guys"...  When you learn that stats don't give a team the W then feel free to chime in, but just looking at the stat sheet doesn't impress me.

LOL 

Stat guy, right. Because he looks so fluid and smooth on film. hahahahahaha

Honestly, I hope they keep all three. I want Ballard to come back completely healthy and be just as good and productive as he was his rookie year.

I would want that also, however I don't think he will see a whole lot of playing time next season, with Trent and Ahmad starting to be consistent.  I think missing 2 straight seasons will kill a  career.

From his rookie season?  Let's examine him next year after his 2 season ending injuries... He wont be the same Ballard as you remember!!  So "when healthy" isn't possible anymore.  I always like Vick Ballard, but trust me he wont be on the team after his rookie contract ends unless he is playing for a minimum contract, and even then it's questionable.

From his rookie season?  Let's examine him next year after his 2 season ending injuries... He wont be the same Ballard as you remember!!  So "when healthy" isn't possible anymore.  I always like Vick Ballard, but trust me he wont be on the team after his rookie contract ends unless he is playing for a minimum contract, and even then it's questionable.

Sounds like you are rooting for him not to be the same

I think Trent is improving and getting better yardage...we keep him.

Herron is underwhelming even in garbage time and needs to be replaced.

Ballard probably cannot come back from his injuries...too risky to keep and depend on.

Bradshaw is doing great but his injury history is a concern...a time bomb waiting to go off.

Grigson needs to spend a mid-round pick or earlier on a very good RB.

I think Trent is improving and getting better yardage...we keep him.

Herron is underwhelming even in garbage time and needs to be replaced.

Ballard probably cannot come back from his injuries...too risky to keep and depend on.

Bradshaw is doing great but his injury history is a concern...a time bomb waiting to go off.

Grigson needs to spend a mid-round pick or earlier on a very good RB.

Trent has improved.......Lets be realistic....It would have been hard for him not to improve over last year.....But he has not significantly improved....Its been a slight improvement....marginal, He don't run behind his pads nearly enough and consistently gets taken down by ankle tackles while he takes WAY to many steps to get to the LOS and he still does this hop step thing before he breaks to get the hand off which infuriates me...Overall improvement but less then serviceable

Herron-Only has had 22 carries the whole season, He is more decisive then Trent and accelerates quicker but has not had many chances do to the fact we have been more focused on jumping on lesser teams and staff just don't seem to favor him (Titans, Giants)....The most likely to be let go

Ballard- Could be let go but I have my doubts given his age and he is the better running back of the two above IF healthy, smoother runner, quicker to the hole, accelerates a bit quicker

Bradshaw could be the one let go but he is the best Back on the team if he remains healthy...Like he has this year

I think we go for a Scat Back type who has great acceleration and who has experience catching the ball from different spots on the field.....Late rounds....5-7

Trent has improved.......Lets be realistic....It would have been hard for him not to improve over last year.....But he has not significantly improved....Its been a slight improvement....marginal, He don't run behind his pads nearly enough and consistently gets taken down by ankle tackles while he takes WAY to many steps to get to the LOS and he still does this hop step thing before he breaks to get the hand off which infuriates me...Overall improvement but less then serviceable

Herron-Only has had 22 carries the whole season, He is more decisive then Trent and accelerates quicker but has not had many chances do to the fact we have been more focused on jumping on lesser teams and staff just don't seem to favor him (Titans, Giants)....The most likely to be let go

Ballard- Could be let go but I have my doubts given his age and he is the better running back of the two above IF healthy, smoother runner, quicker to the hole, accelerates a bit quicker

Bradshaw could be the one let go but he is the best Back on the team if he remains healthy...Like he has this year

I think we go for a Scat Back type who has great acceleration and who has experience catching the ball from different spots on the field.....Late rounds....5-7

the hop step thing infuriates you?  that's weird.

I think you've got issues with trent that are clouding your judgement on the matter and causing you to undersell his improvement.

Sounds like you are rooting for him not to be the same

Not at all.  I even said ^^^ I always liked Ballard, just like I did Bob Sanders, but I'm not in favor of keeping somebody around if they cant stay healthy.  I also like Landry, but this is his last chance to win me over also.  Im not giving up on Ballard at this point either but I wouldn't feel bad if he got canned after next season if he cant make a contribution to the team!

Trent has improved.......Lets be realistic....It would have been hard for him not to improve over last year.....But he has not significantly improved....Its been a slight improvement....marginal, He don't run behind his pads nearly enough and consistently gets taken down by ankle tackles while he takes WAY to many steps to get to the LOS and he still does this hop step thing before he breaks to get the hand off which infuriates me...Overall improvement but less then serviceable

Herron-Only has had 22 carries the whole season, He is more decisive then Trent and accelerates quicker but has not had many chances do to the fact we have been more focused on jumping on lesser teams and staff just don't seem to favor him (Titans, Giants)....The most likely to be let go

I respect that you're just not sold on Trent. I disagree, but the stats (especially last year) certainly back you up. But how can you be high on Herron? He looks like he has some nice speed, but he hasn't been all that impressive on limited carries in garbage time. When a guy like him could be earning more carries.

I'd like to see Herron in the offense more, but it won't happen while Bradshaw is healthy and Luck is throwing 40 times a game.

Bradshaw and Richardson are both terrific on passing downs as blockers and receivers out of the backfield. No reason to fix what isn't broken.

Trent has improved.......Lets be realistic....It would have been hard for him not to improve over last year.....But he has not significantly improved....Its been a slight improvement....marginal, He don't run behind his pads nearly enough and consistently gets taken down by ankle tackles while he takes WAY to many steps to get to the LOS and he still does this hop step thing before he breaks to get the hand off which infuriates me...Overall improvement but less then serviceable

Herron-Only has had 22 carries the whole season, He is more decisive then Trent and accelerates quicker but has not had many chances do to the fact we have been more focused on jumping on lesser teams and staff just don't seem to favor him (Titans, Giants)....The most likely to be let go

Ballard has had two major leg injuries in under 2 years so the chances of him coming back to play for the colts or any team would be a miracle. Damn near impossible.. as for trent to say hes the worst back in the league is downright crazy.. that just shows your lack of football knowledge and should be overlooked. Just his ability to catch the ball makes him better than half of the backs in the nfl.. fact of the matter is that you will have to overcome your deep hatred for trent.. because weather or not me or you or anybody likes it, trent will be here for awhile.. so cheers mate, grab a bottle and put in a smile.

the hop step thing infuriates you?  that's weird.

I think you've got issues with trent that are clouding your judgement on the matter and causing you to undersell his improvement.

That's not weird at all, Its frustrating to watch....Whats cloudy about a below average ypc and as many fumbles as total td's? It sounds like your expectations are low for Trent

Ballard has had two major leg injuries in under 2 years so the chances of him coming back to play for the colts or any team would be a miracle. Damn near impossible.. as for trent to say hes the worst back in the league is downright crazy.. that just shows your lack of football knowledge and should be overlooked. Just his ability to catch the ball makes him better than half of the backs in the nfl.. fact of the matter is that you will have to overcome your deep hatred for trent.. because weather or not me or you or anybody likes it, trent will be here for awhile.. so cheers mate, grab a bottle and put in a smile.

Where in the hell do you see that I said "he is the worst Back in the league"

I could be wrong on this,  but I don't read anywhere in this thread where Gavin says Trent is the worst back in the league.

Another poster did.     It looks to me like Colt Stronger said it.......

Now, Gavin clearly is not a Trent fan.    No denying that.

What can I tell you....?  

Trent is much better this year.    And he's being used much better (wiser) this year....

Trent starts, but Bradshaw is the key guy.    Bradshaw is the energy guy that makes us go....   (from a run game perspective)

It's a very good 1-2 punch.....      why people harp on Trent now is beyond me....

I could be wrong on this,  but I don't read anywhere in this thread where Gavin says Trent is the worst back in the league.

Another poster did.     It looks to me like Colt Stronger said it.......

Now, Gavin clearly is not a Trent fan.    No denying that.

What can I tell you....?  

Trent is much better this year.    And he's being used much better (wiser) this year....

Trent starts, but Bradshaw is the key guy.    Bradshaw is the energy guy that makes us go....   (from a run game perspective)

It's a very good 1-2 punch.....      why people harp on Trent now is beyond me....

I guess because of the expectations there were when he came into the league, this was meant to be the next Adrian Peterson. Add into that we still dealt a one for him and people are still mad that he's not performed at a 1st round level. 

If it was possible to forget that then yes he's been a productive part of our offense and whatever you make think of Trent he does run hard, very hard. Just not always in the right directions :P

That's not weird at all, Its frustrating to watch....Whats cloudy about a below average ypc and as many fumbles as total td's? It sounds like your expectations are low for Trent

for you to say that it "infuriates you"....for anything a player does to be "infuriating" to a fan...yes, that's weird.  

for any player I don't like, I could cherry pick a couple of stats that make that player look like they're underperforming.  all you have to do is watch trent to know he's running far more effectively than last year though there is always still room to improve.  But to say his improvement has been slight or marginal is pretty significantly underselling him.

To be honest to find stats that support Trent being good would take more cherry picking then finding stats to say he isn't very good.

Is he better then last season, yes, but he still isn't a first round talent, or even a second round talent. He is average. Average is better then last season, but average is still average.

First round back should be a bell cow or its a waste of a pick, Trent will never be the guy to carry the load alone, he just can't. Team him up with someone else and he can contribute, send him in as your main guy and he will quickly sink.

for you to say that it "infuriates you"....for anything a player does to be "infuriating" to a fan...yes, that's weird.  

for any player I don't like, I could cherry pick a couple of stats that make that player look like they're underperforming.  all you have to do is watch trent to know he's running far more effectively than last year though there is always still room to improve.  But to say his improvement has been slight or marginal is pretty significantly underselling him.

Well it is frustrating to see him to repeatedly do the same thing over and over again which clearly has had a part  even if a small part in him being as unproductive as he has been(If you noticed he literally hops before he runs up to take the ball on the handoff)....And your standards are low for him(In my opinion) if you expected 3 total td's and 2 fumbles from him through 108 carries...Again he has improved...But given his number of carries I think he should be closer to 450 yards rushing

Well it is frustrating to see him to repeatedly do the same thing over and over again which clearly has had a part even if a small part in him being as unproductive as he has been(If you noticed he literally hops before he runs up to take the ball on the handoff)....And your standards are low for him(In my opinion) if you expected 3 total td's and 2 fumbles from him through 108 carries...Again he has improved...But given his number of carries I think he should be closer to 450 yards rushing

You haven't been paying attention

Well it is frustrating to see him to repeatedly do the same thing over and over again which clearly has had a part  even if a small part in him being as unproductive as he has been(If you noticed he literally hops before he runs up to take the ball on the handoff)....And your standards are low for him(In my opinion) if you expected 3 total td's and 2 fumbles from him through 108 carries...Again he has improved...But given his number of carries I think he should be closer to 450 yards rushing

I don't know what this thing is with you and Trent hoping.   He's not the first RB to do it.    He won't be the last.

Some backs do it to set themselves up for the proper angle of attack.    Some do it for timing and rhythm...     He may not be great, but he's good.

He runs well and hard.     He catches the ball out of the backfield well.    And he blocks well.

The things you chose to focus on and the things you chose to ignore are often head scratching......