Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RG3

bap1331

What do you think is wrong? The oline is bad? Hes having a hard time coming back from injury? Both? or a bust?

It seems after the league caught up to the pistol offense, he hasnt been able to do much since. But Kaep was able to with the Niners and I think RG3 is wayyyy better...

One guy's take...

Quarterback: Robert Griffin III 
What you saw: He was 29-for-37 for 267 yards, 0 TDs, 0 interceptions 
What you might have missed: One of the most conservative games of Griffin's career with the Washington Redskins. Documenting his approach leads to some staggering numbers. 

Griffin's average pass against the Houston Texans traveled 5.89 yards in the air, the third-lowest total of his career. Of his 37 attempts, 25 traveled 5 yards or fewer downfield. About 60 percent of his yardage total (160 of 267) came after the catch, and while he completed all eight of his passes targeted at receiver DeSean Jackson, six of them traveled 5 yards or fewer downfield. Of Jackson's 62 yards, 43 were after the catch. 

That 267-yard total is worth further inspection. Nearly three-quarters of it (193 of 267) came in the second half, which began with the Redskins having a win probability of 17 percent and never rose above 31.6 percent. In other words, it came when the Texans were more willing to allow yards in exchange for time off the clock. 

Final analysis: Robert Griffin III the pocket passer makes one yearn for Robert Griffin III the wild runner. Checking down all game only works if your team has a lockdown defense. The Redskins don't. They need more explosive plays from their quarterback, one way or the other. 

From....

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/139276/inside-slant-nfl-week-1-qb-report

everyone was so impressed with rg3 with his rocket arm and 4.3 speed or whatever. his rookie year was a complete joke. running his college offense, throwing to wide open wrs, running the option. rams are looking like geniuses now while the redskins are stuck with a below average qb who cant read defenses

everyone was so impressed with rg3 with his rocket arm and 4.3 speed or whatever. his rookie year was a complete joke. running his college offense, throwing to wide open wrs, running the option. rams are looking like geniuses now while the redskins are stuck with a below average qb who cant read defenses

At least have to give him a chance to prove he's good or prove he sucks. Not that I'm an RG3 fan but last year was a mess and we should at least give him this year before passing judgement. I however do not like his "me .. me attitude " and it could be that he's not going to be very coachable. But I think it really is too early to pass judgment on him.

At least have to give him a chance to prove he's good or prove he sucks. Not that I'm an RG3 fan but last year was a mess and we should at least give him this year before passing judgement. I however do not like his "me .. me attitude " and it could be that he's not going to be very coachable. But I think it really is too early to pass judgment on him.

I remember watching idk if it was nfln or espn, but it showed rg3 missing reads youre suppose to make in the nfl. cover 2 shell, slot wr runs up the middle and cuts the corner route, wide open, he throws the 3 yard flat route to the fb

He's not a pocket passer his rookie year he was healthy in a system designed to his strengths but got him hurt . His second year he came back early and was not prepared to play and it showed he just wasn't affective without being able to run explosively  . Now he's in a more typical NFL system that requires him to go through his progressions and he is just not good at that so he's hitting his check down when his 1st option is not open . 

I remember watching idk if it was nfln or espn, but it showed rg3 missing reads youre suppose to make in the nfl. cover 2 shell, slot wr runs up the middle and cuts the corner route, wide open, he throws the 3 yard flat route to the fb

I agree with you .... just saying Shanahan didn't do him any favors the first two years and he deceives the benefit of the doubt ? But for sure you are correct at this point in time , he can't make the correct reads.

I agree with you .... just saying Shanahan didn't do him any favors the first two years and he deceives the benefit of the doubt ? But for sure you are correct at this point in time , he can't make the correct reads.

I understand why the redskins hired jay to be the HC which is to make RG3 rely more on his arm then his legs and beat coverages by reading the defense, but their also limiting him by putting him in foreign territory. we'll see how the season goes

not if he keeps checking it down

Every QB has made mistakes in week one. A lot of them made bad decisions with the ball too, and that was playing against less imposing defenses than the one Griffin faced. I don't recall him throwing any interceptions though some throws were questionable no doubt.

Every QB has made mistakes in week one. A lot of them made bad decisions with the ball too, and that was playing against less imposing defenses than the one Griffin faced. I don't recall him throwing any interceptions though some throws were questionable no doubt.

hard to throw a pic when youre even throwing it 5 yards

I wasn't impressed...

Then that means you know he is a better NFL QB than Griffin he will get a chance to show that one day. I'd like to get a couple of pieces of that D in the draft next year.

Oh easily better I wish he would get traded so bad he could start on multiple teams IMO

I also want some D players from that D I wanted Dennard this year :( Ill take any MSU players on my colts

Part of the problem was getting drafted by Washington, and a coach like Shanahan who no matter what he says was more than willing to run the poor kid into the ground. I can't help, but wonder how things would have been if the Rams signed him instead. Avoid shanahanigans at all cost. The other part is on him.

Oh easily better I wish he would get traded so bad he could start on multiple teams IMO

I also want some D players from that D I wanted Dennard this year :( Ill take any MSU players on my colts

I thought both Big 10 Qb's were better than RG3 that year look at Wilson go.

Drummond might fall right in our laps this year.

I think the Gruden hire was a mistake. He is going to try to do with RG what the Falcons tried to do with Vick and it won't work. I think he can become a better passer but they really need to do more of what Seattle does and take advantage of RGs athleticism and the RBs they have. More mis-direction and getting receivers in space. I did not think the game plan against the Texans was horrible but I do think we have to take into consideration he was going against maybe the best defense in the AFC. Let's see the season play out.