Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts cuts: 53 man roster (Official Thread)

TKnight24

It's that time of year for our coaches, arguably the most stressful time for coaches depending on how deep their roster is. That's right folks, it's cutting time.

We'll put all the cuts here just like before to helps the mods out. Let the drama begin!!!!!

:colts:

Deadline Reminder: @KBowenColts: Reminder, 22 cuts coming by 4:00 p.m. on Saturday for the @Colts to get down to 53 players. Then the waiver moves come. Let the fun begin.

Final roster listed here: http://blogs.colts.com/

OFFICIAL ROSTER CUTS:

DE-Gannon Conway,

RB-David Fluellen,

QB-Chandler Harnish,

DE-Tyler Hoover,

OLB-Phillip Hunt,

ILB-Andrew Jackson,

WR-Ryan Lankford,

WR-Josh Lenz,

C-FN Lutz,

S-Dewey McDonald,

DT-Nnamdi Obukwelu,

CB-Sheldon Price,

ILB-Rob Ruggiero,

TE-Weslye Saunders,

ILB-Kelvin Sheppard,

TE-Erik Swoope 

G-Josh Walker.

Edited by MTC

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there are going to be some VERY difficult cuts this year (more so than years past it seems) since the team is far deeper at more positions.

it's going to feel different with teams actually poaching Colts cuts

Why? The chargers have been doing it the past 2 years? haha

*Joins in on chant/prayer*

Make it a chorus!

From what I saw of both McNary and Jackson I'd rather have them both over shepperd. Honestly, rather have them two over Muamba also. He looked good with the 2's. But didn't look so hot against cincy.

It's that time of year for our coaches, arguably the most stressful time for coaches depending on how deep their roster is. That's right folks, it's cutting time.

We'll put all the cuts here just like before to helps the mods out. Let the drama begin!!!!!

:colts:

Deadline Reminder: @KBowenColts: Reminder, 22 cuts coming by 4:00 p.m. on Saturday for the @Colts to get down to 53 players. Then the waiver moves come. Let the fun begin.

Bump as a reminder, in case anyone doesn't know:

Saturday, August 30: Maximum of 53 players on roster by 4:00 p.m. ET; Must decide to place on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform or Reserve/Non- Football Injury or Illness, request waivers, terminate contract, trade contract, or continue to count the player on the active list.

Sunday, August 31: Waiver claim period ends at noon, which begins period in which teams may sign a practice squad up to 10 players.

Jonathan Newsome might've made the team

@KBowenColts: Some interesting snap counts from last night: rookie Jonathan Newsome played all 57 defensive snaps. He also played 21 on special teams.

Did you think there was any chance that he wouldn't?

Make it a chorus!

From what I saw of both McNary and Jackson I'd rather have them both over shepperd. Honestly, rather have them two over Muamba also. He looked good with the 2's. But didn't look so hot against cincy.

Maumba should make the squad, he's pretty good and has more upside than Sheppard. I believe Sheppard may have peaked already

@mchappell51: X-rays determine #colts Joe Reitz with high sprain to left ankle. That's normally 4-6 weeks recovery.

HMMM....I heard 2 weeks, but it must be pretty bad.  We NEED his versatility badly.  

I will remain 'Incognito' as to what I think we should do.  :)

IMO McNary is the real deal.  Seven tackles in the first half.  It seemed he was in on every play.  I saw him out of position maybe twice.  He was laying the pads on them.

Speaking of "laying the pads on them", I would put Andrew Jackson on PUP (hamstring) and let him work himself in shape.  With cramps, he is not close to helping.  Get some rehab, so when an injury occurs he can step in off of PUP.  I was looking away from the TV last night and I heard a good hit.....Andrew Jackson...nuff said :)

Are you guys cutting Studebaker?  He, Harvey and Purifoy have been exceptional on special teams...LB is awfully tough.

IMO McNary is the real deal.  Seven tackles in the first half.  It seemed he was in on every play.  I saw him out of position maybe twice.  He was laying the pads on them.

Speaking of "laying the pads on them", I would put Andrew Jackson on PUP (hamstring) and let him work himself in shape.  With cramps, he is not close to helping.  Get some rehab, so when an injury occurs he can step in off of PUP.  I was looking away from the TV last night and I heard a good hit.....Andrew Jackson...nuff said :)

Are you guys cutting Studebaker?  He, Harvey and Purifoy have been exceptional on special teams...LB is awfully tough.

I wouldn't cut Andy since he can play OLB, ILB and ST

QB  Luck, Hasselbeck

RB/FB  T-Rich, Bradshaw, Herron, Harvey

WR  Wayne, TY, Nicks, Moncrief, Whalen

TE  Allen, Fleener, Doyle

OL  Castonzo, Cherilus, Harrison, Holmes, Louis, Mewhort, Thornton, Reitz, Nixon

DL  Chapman, Hughes, Jean Francois, Jones, Kerr, Redding, Hoover

LB  Freeman, Mathis, A. Jackson, DQ, McNary, Newsome, Studebaker, Walden, Werner, Muamba

DB  Toler, Davis, Adams, Brown, Butler, Gordy, Landry, McDonald, Anderson, Burley

K  Vinatieri, McAfee, Overton

QB  Luck, Hasselbeck

OL  Castonzo, Cherilus, Harrison, Holmes, Louis, Mewhort, Thornton, Reitz, Nixon

LB  Freeman, Mathis, A. Jackson, DQ, McNary, Newsome, Studebaker, Walden, Werner, Muamba

DB  Toler, Davis, Adams, Brown, Butler, Gordy, Landry, McDonald, Anderson, Burley

Why Hoover?

and if the Reitz injury is a 4 to 6 Week Duration I would move him to PUP

I like the Andrew Jackson plan.  I'd say it's almost certain he's not ready for live action especially having only played in one preseason game.  I did like what I saw from him in that, being his first ever live NFL action though and putting him on the PUP list keeps him off waivers, though I'm sure there's a very slim chance there'd be any danger of losing him on the waiver wire.  Still though.

QB  Luck, Hasselbeck

I would easily keep either Mckinny or even Obukwelu over Hoover.

I like the Andrew Jackson plan.  I'd say it's almost certain he's not ready for live action especially having only played in one preseason game.  I did like what I saw from him in that, being his first ever live NFL action though and putting him on the PUP list keeps him off waivers, though I'm sure there's a very slim chance there'd be any danger of losing him on the waiver wire.  Still though.

I would easily keep either Mckinny or even Obukwelu over Hoover.

Agreed

You never know. But he deserves a spot. He's made his name prominent this preseason. How many sacks did he get this preseason all together? Quite a few I think?

Personally I'd say there was less than a 0.01% chance of Newsome NOT making the team and I only say that because I don't like speaking in absolutes.  He was a 5th round draft pick and is a prototype pass rusher on a team with very little depth in terms of pass rushers.  Teams rarely give up on a 5th round pick that quickly, and especially not a team with limited depth at that player's position.

The PUP rules are always blurry to me, but I don't think you can put a player on PUP if he's already been practicing and playing. I believe he has to be on PUP from the start of camp.

The PUP rules are always blurry to me, but I don't think you can put a player on PUP if he's already been practicing and playing. I believe he has to be on PUP from the start of camp.

ah ok.  so a player can't go on the regular season PUP if he wasn't on preseason PUP?  I've never been completely clear on the PUP rules either other than a player on PUP at the start of the season can't be activated until after...wait, is it after week 6 or after the team's 6th game?

IMO there are better options for the 53 man but he could be put on the PS

There very well may be. That's part of the fun (for me anyway). I rarely do a projected roster, because there is going to be a surprise somewhere along the line

ah ok.  so a player can't go on the regular season PUP if he wasn't on preseason PUP?  I've never been completely clear on the PUP rules either other than a player on PUP at the start of the season can't be activated until after...wait, is it after week 6 or after the team's 6th game?

Yeah, like I said, I'm blurry on the PUP rules... ;)

But I think it's six weeks, not six games. And I think you have to be on PUP from the start of camp. I could look it up, but I don't want to.

Yeah, like I said, I'm blurry on the PUP rules... ;)

But I think it's six weeks, not six games. And I think you have to be on PUP from the start of camp. I could look it up, but I don't want to.

lol, fair enough...I'm at work with not much to do so I did a quick search.  If you fancy a long read, here we go:

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/7/18/5914295/nfl-pup-list-rules-injured-reserve-nfi-list-rules-49ers-2014

Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) Rules

First, under the NFL Rules, there are two classifications of Physically Unable to Perform (PUP). There's the Active/PUP and the Reserve/PUP. Both PUP classifications are for football-related injuries.

The Active/PUP (Preseason PUP list) allows players who are unable to start training camp the ability to sit out until the medical staff provides clearance. Once they are medically cleared, they're allowed to practice immediately.

For example, 49ers placed draft picks OLB Aaron Lynch and DL Kaleb Ramsey on the PUP list yesterday. If players begin training camp on the PUP list, which is likely -- once the players receive full clearance from the 49ers medical staff, they are eligible to practice. Lynch suffered a hamstring strain in the offseason workout program, while we are unsure of Ramsey's injury. Since they occurred 49ers football activities, they are "football-related injuries".

Last year, Kyle Williams and Kendall Hunter were placed on Active/PUP while they were wrapping up their rehab from their respective ACL and Achilles injuries. Williams practiced 5-days later and Hunter practiced 20-days later. This classification, as the name implies, is reserved for the pre-season.

Second, there's the Reserve/PUP (regular season PUP list). Any player starting on the Active PUP list (and has not practiced) with the team becomes eligible for the Reserve/PUP at the end of training camp. Once a player practices during training camp, all PUP list options are off the table. This is important to note. Both Lynch and Ramsey could be cleared within a day or two of the start of training camp, but starting them on the PUP list leaves it on the table as an option if there is a setback.

If, during the season, a player sustains injury but practiced at camp, the PUP list is not an option. The team can keep the player on the roster, if they believe he will come back that season. But, the injured player is counted against the 53-man roster.

In the alternative, teams must go straight to the Injured Reserve list or waive the player. So, it means the 49ers are extremely cautious about letting any player practice, no matter how good he looks following an injury. When it comes to classifications, the difference is whether or not a player practices. Allowing a player to practice limits the options of the team. It can tie up roster spots and dollars.

It should be noted, ALL player salaries of a team count in calculating that team's total salary cap during the season. This includes players that are on Injured Reserve (IR), Physically Unable to Perform (PUP), and the Practice Squad (PS).

If a player started on the Active/PUP list and isn't medically cleared by the end of the preseason, the 49ers may transfer any Active/PUP player to the Reserve/PUP.

These players are prevented from playing and practicing during the first six weeks of the season. What makes the Reserve PUP advantageous is that any player on the Reserve PUP list does not count against the 53-man roster. If a player isn't activated after the sixth week, the team has a six-week window (day after Week 6 to day after Week 11) to make a decision to: 1.) place the player on injured reserve; 2.) release the player; or 3.) get him back to practice. As soon as the player returns to practice, the team has another three-week window to add the player back to the 53-man roster, or place them on the Injured Reserve list.

For example, NaVorro Bowman is a good candidate to see the Reserve/PUP this year. It buys the team some time to allow the player to resolve their injuries and protects both the players and the team. Bowman could go twelve weeks into the season before he must be practicing again. The team would then have another three weeks (Week 15) to return him to the 53-man roster (according to the new rules). After that point, they can have him as one of the inactive players on game day, but he would still have to be on the 53-man roster. But, the risk is carrying the player for no more than two weeks.

If Bowman is progressing well, the 49ers could activate him as early as week 7 and as late as week 15. Even though Bowman would occupy a spot on the 53-man roster, the 49ers may see this as the best option available. If he is medically able to return for the playoffs, for example, they may be willing to go a man short for a week or two, just to keep that door open.