Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Roster Cuts (Official Thread)

TKnight24

Good. He was not impressive.

I would add Andrew Jackson to that list. He'll contribute on special teams for know, but he's probably the long term answer at ILB in the near future.

Purifoy seems to be a lock as the KR since they'll want to free up Whalen from those duties.

Why are we going to want to free Whalen from any ST duties?

ST is the reason why Whalen has a good shot at the 53.  If we went on talent alone to keep 5 WR's it would be Wayne, TY, Nicks, Rogers, Moncrief -- I think we'll keep 6th and Whalen will be on the team -- but, as long as we are healthy, our packages will usually see a mix of Wayne, TY, Nicks plus Allen and/or Fleener -- in the red zone, I expect to see TY come out for a bigger guy like Moncrief or Da'Rick Rogers. 

Regardless, our 4, 5, 6 WRs should not see the field very much on offense  -- I'd agree if you said we want to relieve TY (one of our main play-makers on offense) from ST duties, but ST duties are what will make Whalen valuable to this team.  I like Whalen and all, but I honestly think we'd be better off seeing him go down fielding a punt or kick than we would if we lost a DB to injury at this point (of course, I don't want anyone to get injured, but we are deeper at WR than we've ever been and we are pretty shallow in the secondary).  I think Purifoy and Whalen will wind up splitting return duties based on situations that present themselves (Purifoy is more likely to make a big play and create a spark if we need one, whereas Whalen is less likely to make any mistakes and is ideal for situations when we just need to hold onto the ball and hand it over to Andrew).

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feel bad for Cox good story maybe he can get a shot somewhere else.

He looked bad in the games when he got on the field which wasn't that much. We didn't have much room at CB 4 spots were pretty much locked up before camp opened. Then Burley and Purifoy brought it gotta figure Price is in the mix even if its PS another yr

As Pagano says, "take it as a grain of salt".

They may keep two from Purifoy, Burley and Price.  Since Purifoy was returning punts, he has to have the lead there.

I still think they'll go to the waiver wire and get another S with some experience as a backup.

They may keep two from Purifoy, Burley and Price.  Since Purifoy was returning punts, he has to have the lead there.

I still think they'll go to the waiver wire and get another S with some experience as a backup.

I'd say they definitely will keep 2 from Purifoy, Burley and Price, at least at the start of the season to go against Denver and Philly. :)

They may keep two from Purifoy, Burley and Price. Since Purifoy was returning punts, he has to have the lead there.

What safety would be out there that fits that description?

Don't even remember seeing Price the whole preseason

Burley and definitely Purifoy were known this season

Purifoy better not get cut

Price was going with the 2's early on. It was he and Burley vs the Jets. I don't remember the Giants game breakdown but that is when we started to see more of Purifoy.

It was hard to tell what was going on in the Saints game by the time we got to our 2's on D the Saints could not maintain a drive I think the D was on the field for 13 mins in the second half and we started with the 1's. I only remember seeing Purifoy out there for one series and a punt return. Purifoy had an assist and Price had a tackle but again no one saw that much time because their wasn't that much time to be had That was a weird game. .

I would guess we keep Purifoy because of his special teams ability and he would not make it back to us would not be surprised to see to see 6 CB's and 4 S to start things off considering our lack of depth at S or maybe Dewey makes the 53.

To me the biggest mystery is what we do on the backend. We will have a tough choice at LB when Mathis gets back probably have to say goodbye to Cam. Then what happens with Kerr v McKinney I would be surprised if we didn't take Kerr there or we will lose him.

The offense seems pretty easy to call to me but there are always surprises. Biggest question is what is up with Nixon to start the season?

Should make for an interesting next five days.

ST is the reason why Whalen has a good shot at the 53.  If we went on talent alone to keep 5 WR's it would be Wayne, TY, Nicks, Rogers, Moncrief -- I think we'll keep 6th and Whalen will be on the team -- but, as long as we are healthy, our packages will usually see a mix of Wayne, TY, Nicks plus Allen and/or Fleener -- in the red zone, I expect to see TY come out for a bigger guy like Moncrief or Da'Rick Rogers. 

Regardless, our 4, 5, 6 WRs should not see the field very much on offense  -- I'd agree if you said we want to relieve TY (one of our main play-makers on offense) from ST duties, but ST duties are what will make Whalen valuable to this team.  I like Whalen and all, but I honestly think we'd be better off seeing him go down fielding a punt or kick than we would if we lost a DB to injury at this point (of course, I don't want anyone to get injured, but we are deeper at WR than we've ever been and we are pretty shallow in the secondary).  I think Purifoy and Whalen will wind up splitting return duties based on situations that present themselves (Purifoy is more likely to make a big play and create a spark if we need one, whereas Whalen is less likely to make any mistakes and is ideal for situations when we just need to hold onto the ball and hand it over to Andrew).

Because the release of Brazil means that there is a good chance that Whalen will become a regular part of the Colts offense. He's a proven chain mover. Last season he got called up from the PS before Rodgers of I remember correctly. Shows the staff has faith in him as a receiver.

Who's Childress???? :scratch:

.....lol I might of spelled his name wrong but the right tackle we signed I think its spelled like gosder cherilus... He is a good pass blocker and a decent run blocker but we could of got a way better option. And don't get me started on the donald Thomas signing

.....lol I might of spelled his name wrong but the right tackle we signed I think its spelled like gosder cherilus... He is a good pass blocker and a decent run blocker but we could of got a way better option. And don't get me started on the donald Thomas signing

Yeah Gosder Cherilus

You had me questioning my Colts app for a minute. No one named Childress was on the roster. Thought my app was broken :reaction:

What better RT was available?

Because the release of Brazil means that there is a good chance that Whalen will become a regular part of the Colts offense. He's a proven chain mover. Last season he got called up from the PS before Rodgers of I remember correctly. Shows the staff has faith in him as a receiver.

Whalen was a lot more familiar with the system than Rogers was last year and already had a year under his belt in the NFL (well, at least a year of P.S.), which also play a role into why he was brought up before Rogers.... don't think it means they have more faith in Whalen than Rogers though when  you look at the big picture.  Whalen was brought up to active roster on Oct 28, then waived Nov 19 and resigned to PS, then brought up again on Dec 14....  Rogers was brought up to active roster on Nov. 11 and was never sent back down.

I, too, have faith in Whalen as a WR but the fact of the matter is he will start the season as the 5th or 6th WR -- if Wayne stays healthy, he has more sure hands, is better at getting open, and is a better at moving the chains than Whalen, TY is faster and more dynamic, Nicks, Moncrief, and Rogers are all bigger, faster, and pose a bigger threat to the opposing D.  More likely than not, we will be running a lot of 2 TE/2 WR sets, or 3 WR/1 TE sets, maybe the occasional 2 TE/1 WR/ 1 FB set, and the occassional 4 WR set --- meaning that if we stay healthy, Whalen shouldn't be seeing much of the field on offense -- his value is as a very reliable back-up and as a selfless player that is willing to play ST's (both returning punts/kicks and holding kicks).  I am in no way trying to disrespect you or Whalen, but I will really be shocked if the Colts decide to avoid using him on STs to keep him healthy (this makes sense when we did it with Marvin Harrison or when we do it with TY Hilton, both game-breakers, but in all honesty, Whalen's biggest value to this team is his selflessness and versatility, not necessarily his skill set or threat as a WR).

Price was going with the 2's early on. It was he and Burley vs the Jets. I don't remember the Giants game breakdown but that is when we started to see more of Purifoy.

It was hard to tell what was going on in the Saints game by the time we got to our 2's on D the Saints could not maintain a drive I think the D was on the field for 13 mins in the second half and we started with the 1's. I only remember seeing Purifoy out there for one series and a punt return. Purifoy had an assist and Price had a tackle but again no one saw that much time because their wasn't that much time to be had That was a weird game. .

I would guess we keep Purifoy because of his special teams ability and he would not make it back to us would not be surprised to see to see 6 CB's and 4 S to start things off considering our lack of depth at S or maybe Dewey makes the 53.

I am surprised we haven't played Purifoy at S more in the pre-season -- to me, he has the size, athleticism, and playmaking ability to play there and he played there a bit in college.  I like Purifoy because of his athleticism and his ST ability, but I also like him because I think he could be thrown in at S and fair much better than the other CBs he is competing with if need be.

hes played well and if howell's injury is serious i would feel very comfortable with him as safety depth if not hes a lock for the PS

I agree-- I like what I've seen from McDonald -- I think we'd be better off with him on the PS or as depth and a STer for this year, though as I think he is still a little raw and can use a bit more game knowledge.

What better RT was available?

we could signed at least two second tear players at tackle and gaurd. I'm saying that he is out right bad but the money we gave him and Donald Thomas especially Thomas we could've grab a good center and some quality stop gaps for gaurd and tackle. But then gosder started in almost all snaps last year so I really shouldn't complain if he can become a better run blocker I'll shut up. And to answer your question it really wasn't too many choices out there that fit our scheme

we could signed at least two second tear players at tackle and gaurd. I'm saying that he is out right bad but the money we gave him and Donald Thomas especially Thomas we could've grab a good center and some quality stop gaps for gaurd and tackle. But then gosder started in almost all snaps last year so I really shouldn't complain if he can become a better run blocker I'll shut up. And to answer your question it really wasn't too many choices out there that fit our scheme

Cherilus was pretty much the top RT available at the time. Thomas was a risk/reward signing, if he were able to stay healthy he could be a top tier guard.

The thing with Rogers is he still making the same mental mistakes I hope we keep 6 but at this point if its 5 I'd go with Whalen he can do more doesn't make stupid mistakes. Most importantly Luck trusts him not sure you can say the same about Rogers. I believe it's 6 or we would have tried to move one

Since this is a thread on Cuts and I don't see an official thread on cuts around the league I figured I'd just put this out there:

Hakeem Smith was cut by the Titans

Emmett Cleary was released by the Raiders

Brandon Bishop (My guy) was released by the Vikings

All players -Three guys I'd give a shot to or perhaps stick on the PS if they perform well in game 4

These are the guys I think have made the roster already. JMO. It's not that they are so far and away better than the other guys at their positions, but given their role and our roster mechanics, and their preseason performance, I think they make it.

I'm sure I'm wrong on some.

As for Sheppard, if it were about contracts, I'd cut him. Having A. Jackson or Studebaker at that spot would save the team nearly a million in cap space. If it's about performance, I think he's been good enough to keep. No, not special, but solid, especially assuming he's a reserve / early down player. Moving Studebaker to ILB, or having him in a hybrid role, would make it easier to keep another pass rusher like Cam Johnson. I think Johnson is probably next on the list.

Sheppard HAS looked good and most of the forum knows I could not stand him being on the field last year :)

I too think Studebaker makes it...the kid plays with a ton of heart out there.

Andrew Jackson:  We know him as a 'thumper.'  I really hope he can make the roster.  We have not heard smashing of the pads at LB since Clint Session.  Clint was not fantastic, but he would put a hit on ya!!  :)

Sheppard HAS looked good and most of the forum knows I could not stand him being on the field last year :)

I too think Studebaker makes it...the kid plays with a ton of heart out there.

Andrew Jackson:  We know him as a 'thumper.'  I really hope he can make the roster.  We have not heard smashing of the pads at LB since Clint Session.  Clint was not fantastic, but he would put a hit on ya!!  :)

Andy can play multiple positions as well

Since this is a thread on Cuts and I don't see an official thread on cuts around the league I figured I'd just put this out there:

Hakeem Smith was cut by the Titans

Emmett Cleary was released by the Raiders

Brandon Bishop (My guy) was released by the Vikings

All players -Three guys I'd give a shot to or perhaps stick on the PS if they perform well in game 4

Around the league cuts are in NFL General.

ST is the reason why Whalen has a good shot at the 53.  If we went on talent alone to keep 5 WR's it would be Wayne, TY, Nicks, Rogers, Moncrief

You think Rogers has shown more talent right now than Moncrief and Whalen?  :thinking:   Ok. to each his own.