Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

T.Y.Hilton - Colts have three No.1 receivers

Shane Bond

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no doubt about that. In fact, I think he will catch more balls than any other Colts receiver. Now that may mean he is the Colt's number one receiver but it doesn't mean he is an NFL number one.

What you mean by Colts No 1 vs NFL No 1?.

I think what TY suggested was all the 3 receivers can be considered the primary WR receiver just like how Megatron is for Lions and DT is for Denver. I dont think he suggested they are the best in NFL.

Okay, I think I get it now.  If TY:

• Catches more balls than any other receiver in the NFL and
  • Has those catches equally spread out amongst every route in the route tree and
  • Wins more jump balls than any other WR in the league and
  • Scores more TDs than any other WR in the league and
  • Has more first downs than any other WR in the league
  • Catches the same number of passes every game (+-1 because we have to be realistic) and
  • Breaks tackles when he catches over the middle and
  • Grows at least 5 inches and
  • gains about 20lbs

then he will show he has that tools that he may one day be a #1 receiver.  Whew, I am glad we got that cleared up.

What you mean by Colts No 1 vs NFL No 1?.

I think what TY suggested was all the 3 receivers can be considered the primary WR receiver just like how Megatron is for Lions and DT is for Denver. I dont think he suggested they are the best in NFL.

What I meant but perhaps didn't say clearly is that TY will catch the most balls for the Colts but less than last year I think. If that is your definition then he is the Colts number one receiver but he would not be considered a number one receiver by most any other team in the NFL.

What I meant but perhaps didn't say clearly is that TY will catch the most balls for the Colts but less than last year I think. If that is your definition then he is the Colts number one receiver but he would not be considered a number one receiver by most any other team in the NFL.

Panthers, patriots., jets?

Panthers, patriots., jets?

Not the Jets or Pats but perhaps the Panthers since they are using most rookies at WR but it would only be for a short while. Any team (except perhaps the Colts) who wound up with TY as a number one receiver would be looking for a legitimate number one. You can argue all you want but TY isn't that player. He has too many really bad games to go with his really good ones. He is a very good receiver and I am glad we have him but I am rooting for Wayne or Nicks to become the real number one. It may or may not happen.

Not the Jets or Pats but perhaps the Panthers since they are using most rookies at WR but it would only be for a short while. Any team (except perhaps the Colts) who wound up with TY as a number one receiver would be looking for a legitimate number one. You can argue all you want but TY isn't that player. He has too many really bad games to go with his really good ones. He is a very good receiver and I am glad we have him but I am rooting for Wayne or Nicks to become the real number one. It may or may not happen.

who do the pats or jets have that's better than ty?

Okay, I think I get it now.  If TY:

• Catches more balls than any other receiver in the NFL and
  • Has those catches equally spread out amongst every route in the route tree and
  • Wins more jump balls than any other WR in the league and
  • Scores more TDs than any other WR in the league and
  • Has more first downs than any other WR in the league
  • Catches the same number of passes every game (+-1 because we have to be realistic) and
  • Breaks tackles when he catches over the middle and
  • Grows at least 5 inches and
  • gains about 20lbs

then he will show he has that tools that he may one day be a #1 receiver.  Whew, I am glad we got that cleared up.

Nothing like patting yourself on the back, eh? Now that we've established that you're all that and a bag of chips..........

He has shown flashes of being capable of being a #1 but I think it would be better to move him around

What does that have to do with being a teams #1 receiver?

See me I view a #1 receiver as being the QB's go-to target, but people tend to get caught up in alignments. Like the Z receiver is typically your #1 receiver which if that was the case Reggie Wayne would never be considered being a #1 receiver because he always lined up on the left side(weak side, x receiver) position throughout Manning's tenure here. And we all know Reggie was a #1 receiver.

Samething with Welker when he was in NE. He would catch 100+ balls and be Brady's go to target and people wouldn't call him a #1 receiver because he lines up in the slot. That's nonsense man.

What does that have to do with being a teams #1 receiver?

See me I view a #1 receiver as being the QB's go-to target, but people tend to get caught up in alignments. Like the Z receiver is typically your #1 receiver which if that was the case Reggie Wayne would never be considered being a #1 receiver because he always lined up on the left side(weak side, x receiver) position throughout Manning's tenure here. And we all know Reggie was a #1 receiver.

Samething with Welker when he was in NE. He would catch 100+ balls and be Brady's go to target and people wouldn't call him a #1 receiver because he lines up in the slot. That's nonsense man.

Yep I know, I think I listen to much to the talking heads at times and try to get to technical but your right

A true #1 WR is someone who can make big/clutch plays on more than just 50+ yard bombs

Hilton still has more growing to do in the NFL. He's not a #1...... Yet anyway

guess you missed that pass on sherman when the ball was thrown behind him and he still caught it, or the three tds he caught vs the texans that saved our butts 

What is the consistent obsession of a #1 Receiver being a specific physical specimen that LITERALLY only 5%~ of the NFL even meet.  And of that 5% only 3 or 4 of those receivers actually "Carry" their teams.  TY is most definitely a #1 Receiver.  When your opponent makes it their goal to shut you down, and you take away more than just one person on a defense you have ascended to a #1 Receiving threat.  Because... wait for it... You ARE CONSIDERED THE #1 RECEIVING THREAT BY THE DEFENSE...

Good lord...

Take Antonio Brown from the Steelers for example.  He had Wallace along side him, he had Miller, he had other speedy receivers.  But guess what?  He consistently (by himself might I add) carried the Steelers offense the past 3 years.  Teams knew they could just sit a fast corner on top of Wallace you shut him out, but you don't stop the offense.  Why? because the offense went through Antonio Brown.  That is why he got his contract, that is why Wallace is fluttering in Miami and that is also why people focus their defense to stop him, but no one can.  That is what you call a #1 Receiver.

guess you missed that pass on sherman when the ball was thrown behind him and he still caught it, or the three tds he caught vs the texans that saved our butts

Like I said, he's not a #1...... Yet

He has his games where he wows and blows your mind. Then other games you're playing "Where's Waldo (The TY Hilton edition"

Consistency and better ability to get off the press is his weakness. But all that will come in due time cause if Reggie hangs up the cleats after this year and Nick's doesn't get re-signed, Hilton becomes #1 by default

He's not there yet there as far as mechanics go. But the potential is there and he'll reach it very soon

Like I said, he's not a #1...... Yet

He has his games where he wows and blows your mind. Then other games you're playing "Where's Waldo (The TY Hilton edition"

Consistency and better ability to get off the press is his weakness. But all that will come in due time cause if Reggie hangs up the cleats after this year and Nick's doesn't get re-signed, Hilton becomes #1 by default

He's not there yet there as far as mechanics go. But the potential is there and he'll reach it very soon

the offense was in shambles when reggie went down. it took time to adjust, but once the offense started to click, hilton was the man. dont forget that dhb was starting for a good portion of the season 

My only criticism of Hilton is that all five of his TDs came in two games. That's not all his fault, but more even performances from him would do a lot to support his case.

Did he drop any TD passes the other games?.

You realize the QB has to throw the ball his way for him to catch.

You're right, TY has been better than Marvin over their first two seasons

It was nice of TY to included an aging HOF and a guy on a prove it contract in his assessment the best WR and the #1 WR on this team is TY Hilton you can say he is not big enough whatever you want. It comes down to catches and yards and how you play in the big moments

TY has proven he is the man in Indy look at the numbers, 860 yards in 15 games as a rookie over a 1000 in his second year, There are not many WR that step in and put up those numbers. It usually takes a WR about 3 yrs to get in their groove, 76 of his 132 catches are for first downs that's just the regular season. 3 post season games 25 catches for 393 yards 15 first downs.

He is going to be coming at D's out of the slot more than likely good luck with that. IF Pep will let this team go we are going to be very  good offensively to me he is the only thing that can slow us down. The O Line is going to be fine no way it is any worse than last year.

Let the pass set up the run spread them out and let the nickel package try tackling Trent.

A true #1 WR is someone who can make big/clutch plays on more than just 50+ yard bombs

Hilton still has more growing to do in the NFL. He's not a #1...... Yet anyway

Over half of his catches 101 out of 157 result in first downs would he be a number 1 WR if he ran out of bounds after 20 yards instead of making the house call? Nicks isn't in the conversation look at what he has done the last 2 years

Is it because he isn't 6'0 I guess someone should break the news to Steve Smith, Drew Hill, Henry Ellard, Gary Clark you boys were all pretty good but we need a little more growing before you can become a number 1.

I guarantee you without looking his number are better or on par with everyone of those guys first 2 yrs. WR's just don't come in and hang those types of numbers their first two years. RIce 900 yards 2tds first year Megatron 756 yards 4tds first year in the league. Hilton is a number 1.

Who do you think NE game planned for sure as heck wasn't Rogers he dropped enough balls on his own. It was TY HIlton that Lil Billy wanted to take away. Was Marvin the leading receiver in the history of our franchise a #1? Then you might find this interesting.

harrisonhilton.png\

The FACT is, the O-line isn't very good. That's a FACT. If the O-line can't hold up, then it doesn't really matter how good the WR's are.

The O Line isn't as bad as it is being made out to be no way it is as bad as last year. Luck had no little trouble moving the ball. People are afraid of the unknown it is normal. I think this O Line is going to surprise a lot as long as Pep doesn't lock in on what he wants to do and does the things we are best at. We can overcome him we did last year but it would be easier if he played to the strengths of the team.

The FACT is, the O-line isn't very good. That's a FACT. If the O-line can't hold up, then it doesn't really matter how good the WR's are.

How is that a FACT? That would seem more an assumption on your part. We are good at T. We have a new starting C you have not seen play I am guessing according to you he is terrible we have a new starting LG again you have not seen play as a unit are you saying he is terrible too? We have a rookie who cut his teeth last year bouncing around moving back to his regular position which should help him or does he stink too? Better run get a drink that glass is half empty it will be gone soon.

No i didn't but i also did not miss "more even performance from him" whatever that means. :scratch:

It means more consistent performance. That's probably the better way to say it. Five TDs in two games, and none in 14 others, screams "boom or bust," which isn't what you want from a #1 receiver. 

For a #1 receiver, or even a fringe #1 receiver, Hilton didn't get into the endzone frequently enough. Again, that's not all his fault, but it does make him an outlier. He plays with a good QB, while other #1 receivers with less talented QBs get into the endzone more often, and in a great percentage of their games. The only other guy in the league with #1 level production but not a lot of TDs was Kendall Wright. Every other #1, and several fringe #1 and #2s scored more often than every 8 games.

So when this argument comes up, that outlier will be used against Hilton, and it's hard to argue against. He needs to score more touchdowns, and while it's good to score TDs in bunches, it's also good to score in between those bunches. He didn't last year. That should be a targeted area of improvement, whether you think Hilton is a #1 or not. It's not a trump card; it doesn't prove that he's not a #1. But it would be good if he scored in more games, rather than only in bunches, like he did last year.

How is that a FACT? That would seem more an assumption on your part. We are good at T. We have a new starting C you have not seen play I am guessing according to you he is terrible we have a new starting LG again you have not seen play as a unit are you saying he is terrible too? We have a rookie who cut his teeth last year bouncing around moving back to his regular position which should help him or does he stink too? Better run get a drink that glass is half empty it will be gone soon.

You're talking about the line moving forward. I think the other poster is talking about the line last season.

You're talking about the line moving forward. I think the other poster is talking about the line last season.

No his exact words were "The FACT is, the O-line isn't very good. That's a FACT." He didn't say wasn't he said isn't that would mean now in the present.

I happen to have high hopes for Holmes. I think the injury could be helpful let us see what we have in Harrison who also played LG at Florida before moving to C full time. As crazy as this may seem I think that Grig's might finally have this O Line going in the right direction. If we could get a Harrison to be what Costa was supposed to be with room for growth that is a big win a big IF too.

I like the overall direction the team is taking. I don't see how on earth the O Line could be worse than last year. If Holmes can stay healthy we could be on to something. Like I said maybe I am overly optimistic but I like what we are doing and the way we are doing it.

We could end up with some descent pieces from a draft we only had 2 picks in the first what 166 or some craziness.

No his exact words were "The FACT is, the O-line isn't very good. That's a FACT." He didn't say wasn't he said isn't that would mean now in the present.

I happen to have high hopes for Holmes. I think the injury could be helpful let us see what we have in Harrison who also played LG at Florida before moving to C full time. As crazy as this may seem I think that Grig's might finally have this O Line going in the right direction. If we could get a Harrison to be what Costa was supposed to be with room for growth that is a big win a big IF too.

I like the overall direction the team is taking. I don't see how on earth the O Line could be worse than last year. If Holmes can stay healthy we could be on to something. Like I said maybe I am overly optimistic but I like what we are doing and the way we are doing it.

We could end up with some descent pieces from a draft we only had 2 picks in the first what 166 or some craziness.

I agree about the line. I think it's moving in the right direction, and that started the day Samson Satele was released and Mike McGlynn was allowed to walk. It's hard for me to imagine the line play not being significantly improved.

As for the other poster's comment, I understand what he literally wrote. I'm pretty sure, however, he was talking about the previous performance of the offensive line. Don't mean to speak for someone else, but that's what I got from it, considering the context.