Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Khaled Holmes leg injury.

Dustin

Yeah, "back at some point" and "doesn't appear season ending" doesn't inspire much confidence. I still wonder why the C position wasn't properly addressed. Phil Costa does NOT count. Terrible signing.

They drafted a guy who has played center. Holmes is a guy Grigson likes, and they brought in Costa. What else would you have had him do?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They drafted a guy who has played center. Holmes is a guy Grigson likes, and they brought in Costa. What else would you have had him do?

we obviously should have also signed Evan Dietrich-Smith and Brian de la Puenta too.  And why didn't we get Mack again?  Grigson really dropped the ball.  We could have had the best group of centers in the league

we obviously should have also signed Evan Dietrich-Smith and Brian de la Puenta too.  And why didn't we get Mack again?  Grigson really dropped the ball.  We could have had the best group of centers in the league

I was disappointed when I saw these guys sign with other teams.

I was disappointed when I saw these guys sign with other teams.

a lot of people were because they were the popular names that people knew. I'll admit I was keeping my eye on them too during FA and I was a bit disappointed when EDS signed.  I knew Mack was never a realistic option though and with it taking so long for de la Puenta to sign that told me he wasn't as good as a lot of people thought.  

Personally I don't know if EDS would have been an upgrade over Holmes.  Grigson said he wasn't impressed with any of the FA C's.  Sure that could be gm speak but at the same time, I never heard anything, any kind of rumor that the Colts showed any kind of interest in any C other than Mack.  And we have no idea how serious the interest the Colts showed in Mack actually was.  

The Colts need a starting C now. Right now. This year, not "down the road". Grigs should have gotten one of the four quality Cs available as free agents in the off-season. Yes, he'd have to spend money. And, no, not Mack...he'd be perfect but he'd cost too much. If Grigs is bent on Holmes, who is young and injury prone, then he should have signed a free agent and re-signed McGlynn as a backup C only. That's three Cs right there. If he wanted a fourth, then draft another C.

Phil Costa's sorry self should have never been in the mix.   

The Colts need a starting C now. Right now. This year, not "down the road". Grigs should have gotten one of the four quality Cs available as free agents in the off-season. Yes, he'd have to spend money. And, no, not Mack...he'd be perfect but he'd cost too much. If Grigs is bent on Holmes, who is young and injury prone, then he should have signed a free agent and re-signed McGlynn as a backup C only. That's three Cs right there. If he wanted a fourth, then draft another C.

Phil Costa's sorry self should have never been in the mix.   

which 4 quality free agent centers are you referring to?  EDS is one.  You said Mack doesn't count...which I agree, he was never leaving Cleveland so I'm not sure the other 4 you're referring to.  

then he should have signed a free agent and re-signed McGlynn as a backup C only

so that would give us Holmes, an unnamed FA C plus McGlynn who you say to keep only as a backup C.  That's 3 centers.  How many centers do you think teams keep on their active, 53 man rosters?

And since I ruled out Mack, either de la Puente or E. Deitrich Smith.

you did see how long it took for de la Puenta to sign right?  He didn't sign until April 6, almost a full month after free agency started...and he didn't wait that long because he was weighing over multiple offers in some kind of bidding war.  So really, that leaves one...EDS.  

EDS signed with Tampa Bay.  Tampa's OL coach is George Warhop, OC is Jeff Tedford.  These guys run more of a zone blocking scheme.

http://www.bucsnation.com/2014/3/14/5508122/the-buccaneers-new-offensive-line-and-tedfords-philosophy

quote from the above link:

This isn't just a move to add new players. It's a move to a new style of player: the athletic offensive linemen who's good on the move, but not necessarily a big, physical mauler in the running game. That description fits Anthony Collins, it fits Jeremy Zuttah, it fits Demar Dotson, it fits Evan Dietrich-Smith. It doesn't really fit Carl Nicks, but that's more because Carl Nicks is the rare lineman who's both a physical mauler and outstanding in space.

So...does that sound like the type of lineman that would thrive in the Colts (mostly) power blocking scheme?  Does it sound like the type of lineman that Grigson has been looking for and bringing since he got here?

It's funny that if Holmes is out long term we'll have to hear the boo-birds saying that Grigson screwed up.  Y'know, not a lot of teams can lose two interior OL by the 1st series of the first pre-season game and come out smelling like roses.  I think Mewhort will be able to replace Thomas well, and I wouldn't guess that Harrison will necessarily doom the line.  We have a lot more depth than we did last year at this time...

So if this is serious I think we can all give up on this season. I had my doubts about this season after Thomas went down but if Holmes is seriously hurt I don't see how anyone can have much hope.

Wow you're giving up on the season after the 1st pre-season game??????  lmao    I wondered how long it would take the panic to set in, guess I wasn't too far off   :facepalm:

It's funny that if Holmes is out long term we'll have to hear the boo-birds saying that Grigson screwed up.  Y'know, not a lot of teams can lose two interior OL by the 1st series of the first pre-season game and come out smelling like roses.  I think Mewhort will be able to replace Thomas well, and I wouldn't guess that Harrison will necessarily doom the line.  We have a lot more depth than we did last year at this time...

I wouldn't be surprised in the next couple of preseason games to see them try the OL of Castonzo-Louis-Mewhort-Thornton-Cherilus

@ColtsReporter: Holmes after going to locker room, examination confirmed left ankle injury. Will not return (obviously, preseason). #Colts

This might sound a bit off-putting, but that is actually good news. My first thought was it could have been an Achilles, because of the way he punched the ground. An ankle can be serious too, but we never hear about a 2 to 4 week Achilles injury.

This might sound a bit off-putting, but that is actually good news. My first thought was it could have been an Achilles, because of the way he punched the ground. An ankle can be serious too, but we never hear about a 2 to 4 week Achilles injury.

I also thought that it was good news that it was not the same ankle as last year.  If you recall, he played like crap with a high ankle sprain on his right ankle as a college senior, and then he re-injured the same ankle the week before his rookie TC (prompting his red-shirt season last year).  Maybe it's a less severe lower ankle sprain on the left one.  Starting to wonder if he just has weak joints (and ankles, in particular)...

you did see how long it took for de la Puenta to sign right?  He didn't sign until April 6, almost a full month after free agency started...and he didn't wait that long because he was weighing over multiple offers in some kind of bidding war.  So really, that leaves one...EDS.  

EDS signed with Tampa Bay.  Tampa's OL coach is George Warhop, OC is Jeff Tedford.  These guys run more of a zone blocking scheme.

http://www.bucsnation.com/2014/3/14/5508122/the-buccaneers-new-offensive-line-and-tedfords-philosophy

quote from the above link:

So...does that sound like the type of lineman that would thrive in the Colts (mostly) power blocking scheme?  Does it sound like the type of lineman that Grigson has been looking for and bringing since he got here?

That's what Khaled Holmes was when Grigson drafted him, That's what Samson Satele was when Grigson signed him, Heck that's even what Joe Reitz is(All better suited in a Zone scheme), None necessarily good O Linemen(Except possibly Holmes) but better on the move then being a mauler

I also thought that it was good news that it was not the same ankle as last year.  If you recall, he played like crap with a high ankle sprain on his right ankle as a college senior, and then he re-injured the same ankle the week before his rookie TC (prompting his red-shirt season last year).  Maybe it's a less severe lower ankle sprain on the left one.  Starting to wonder if he just has weak joints (and ankles, in particular)...

they call them glass ankles, we may have a starting center with glass ankles.

That's what Khaled Holmes was when Grigson drafted him, That's what Samson Satele was when Grigson signed him, Heck that's even what Joe Reitz is, None necessarily good O Linemen(Except possibly Holmes) but better on the move then being a mauler

Grigson didn't bring reitz in, Polian did. Satellite is no longer here. As for holmes, I haven't researched his background regarding the schemes he's played and thrived in.

Grigsby didn't bring reitz in, Polian did. Satellite is no longer here. As for holmes, I haven't researched his background regarding the schemes he's played and thrived in.

Right but Grigson keeps Reitz around (Though that's probably do to him having starting experience and being a solid pass blocker), Satele was still brought in. Holmes draft profile on NFL.com (Done by Nolan Nawrocki) projected him to be best in a heavu Zone blocking scheme team...Its easily seen watching why while he was playing at USC

If Holmes is out for the long term, one possibility is to move Mewhort over to Center and start Lance Louis at Left Guard.

I personally think Mewhort would make a natural Center in our Man scheme(Where Mewhort can blow NT's off the ball with his strength and maul them) with Holmes at LG and Thornton at RG

Right but Grigson keeps Reitz around (Though that's probably do to him having starting experience and being a solid pass blocker), Satele was still brought in. Holmes draft profile on NFL.com (Done by Nolan Nawrocki) projected him to be best in a heavu Zone blocking scheme team...Its easily seen watching why while he was playing at USC

I didn't watch any of Holmes at USC and, while I like reading NFL draft profiles, I take them with a grain of salt because they're often times filled with misinformation.  As for Reitz, I think he's being kept around simply because they haven't replaced him in depth yet.  Notice he hasn't gotten much playing time since the new regime took over.  As for Satele, it's been stated numerous times, he was brought in the  year the colts were very cap strapped so Grigson's options that year were very limited.

My wrapup from MetLife Stadium on #Colts vs #Jets, including latest on Khaled Holmes: http://indy.st/1siLvaG  via @indystar

in case anyone has trouble with the link from being on a mobile device, at work (firewalls) or, whatever, the portion relevant to Holmes is below

Holmes, the 2013 draft pick anointed the starting center this season after the release of Samson Satele, went down with an ankle injury on the first drive of the game, writhing in pain and expressing frustration with a series of punches into the turf.

He left the game with a pronounced limp and looked for all the world as if his would be the latest in a series of season-ending injuries the Colts already have endured.

But a team source indicated Holmes, while at risk of missing some time in the lineup, is expected to return from the injury and his season does not appear to be in jeopardy. Further evaluation was pending as the team headed home to Indianapolis, and a specific diagnosis was not provided.

Despite the cautious optimism, Holmes' injury is not insignificant. An MRI is planned for Friday.

"We'll wait on the results before we speculate," coach Chuck Pagano said.

I don't think they drafted Mewhort to play Center. Problem ist that Grigson counted on Players like Donald Thomas who came back from a serious injury and now is on IR again. Holmes is a talented guy but he had injury issues before and is actually a rookie  so counting on that Players is in my opinion a bit risky. I don't know about Costa but I can't believe his retirement was just something that came up from one day to another. And Offensive Line was one of our weaknesses the last years and I'm a bit skeptical that we did enough to solve this problem. Again we don't have much depth and if another lineman goes down for the whole season we are in Trouble again.

I don't think they drafted Mewhort to play Center. Problem ist that Grigson counted on Players like Donald Thomas who came back from a serious injury and now is on IR again. Holmes is a talented guy but he had injury issues before and is actually a rookie  so counting on that Players is in my opinion a bit risky. I don't know about Costa but I can't believe his retirement was just something that came up from one day to another. And Offensive Line was one of our weaknesses the last years and I'm a bit skeptical that we did enough to solve this problem. Again we don't have much depth and if another lineman goes down for the whole season we are in Trouble again.

People dont sign contracts with new teams just to retire 3 weeks later. It wasnt a planned thing. It just came up.