Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would You Name Peyton Head Coach

dn4192

Lets say come mid February we found out Peytons career is over that due to the severity of the injury he will never play again. If you were Jim Irsay would you sit down with Peyton and see if he is interested in the job of Head Coach? If you were Peyton would you consider it? What is the upside for having PM as your head coach? What are the downsides?

Of any player in the league, I think Peyton is the only one that would probably excel in any position he undertakes. With that in mind, I think he'd be a fine head coach. He understands the game, and is able to motivate his teamates to be better than their abilities. The only downside to some would be he's not an experienced head coach, but in reality, he's a student of the game, so it will not be a factor.

Hey Irsay, hire him now!!!! (if he can't play)

I would be a little iffy starting him out as a head coach since he has 0 experience coaching at college or the pros. While Peyton is the closest player in the league to being a coach on the field, I would be a little iffy starting him out with the biggest job on the coaching staff. Not to mention that Peyton would probably want to take spend time with his kids and wife, so he would take a few years off. I wouldn't have much trouble making him the offensive coordinator, but I'm a little iffy on head coach.

If we find out Peyton's injury is career ending, then if I were in Irsay's shoes, all of this would be done after crying for a month or two

Had this debate often during Lock-out...

I am not so sure Peyton would or will ever make a very good Head Coach...

I could see him being a good OC, but not sure about the HC thing, it seems like very few great players translate into good coaches, where as the better coaches seem to come from modest to poor careers as actual players...

For example Dungy, never a great player, but a great Coach...

Singletary great player, not so great coach...

I guess Ditka could be used as an exception to that rule...

nevermind this post....

First: does he want to be a head-coach????

Anyway he is a living legend of NFL and he is one of the best QBs, but coaching is an other cup of tea.

Even if he wanted to be a HC, he should go through a maturation process and learn how to coach a team.

In short: not now.

I hope he wont end his career in February and will play some more years.

Is this a joke??? Peyton has no experience as a head coach. However, I would let him be an assistant and allow him to move up but again we already have a solid coach!!! Caldwell needs talent and he will get us to the promise land for sure. The guy did it once before and if we had a little more on D we could have beat the Saints.

Tressel as OC, Manning as QB coach and Luck as QB, I don't know about you but to me that sounds like an all-star cast offensively.

I would agree, I do think Manning could potentially make a fine OC or QB coach.

What to do with special teams and D though would be a different story.

Is this a joke??? Peyton has no experience as a head coach. However, I would let him be an assistant and allow him to move up but again we already have a solid coach!!! Caldwell needs talent and he will get us to the promise land for sure. The guy did it once before and if we had a little more on D we could have beat the Saints.

62 points, but if we had a little more D we could have been better? Okay. I guess that six inches at a time thing must be working out because they only allowed 31 points the next week versus the falcons. Caldwell has all the talent in the world and he squandered it, he is far, very far from a solid coach. But since this isn't a Caldwell thread, I'll stop there.

I think Tressel would make an excellent head coach

Peyton would actually be a perfect OC

We need a new DC

For those that bash Tressel, remember that he has won 4 national championships at tiny Youngstown State and had OSU in 3 title games

He is a clear winner and his players loved playing for him.

Lets say come mid February we found out Peytons career is over that due to the severity of the injury he will never play again. If you were Jim Irsay would you sit down with Peyton and see if he is interested in the job of Head Coach? If you were Peyton would you consider it? What is the upside for having PM as your head coach? What are the downsides?

Head coach would requires more knowledge than he has..

..although he'd hire a D-coordinator to assist.....But that's where we are now..

Offensive co-ordinator is already what he does...as M2C and Deano say

He's already running practice and making game plans.

I think Tressel would make an excellent head coach

Peyton would actually be a perfect OC

We need a new DC

For those that bash Tressel, remember that he has won 4 national championships at tiny Youngstown State and had OSU in 3 title games

He is a clear winner and his players loved playing for him.

Brian Kelly won D-II national titles at Grand Valley State...and he's had a rocky ride at ND..

The major leaguesis different

Peyton could be a great coach and I hope that he becomes a head coach in Indy some day if he wants. However, he needs to come through the ranks like everyone else. Playing football is a little bit different than teaching it. As a coach Peyton would be responsible for offense and defense. Moreover, he has been in essentially in one system in Indy. I would like to see him go out and get experience at different places doing some different things.

Brian Kelly won D-II national titles at Grand Valley State...and he's had a rocky ride at ND..

The major leaguesis different

Would he have more credibility if he had lost at Youngstown State?

He also won over 80% of his games at Ohio State........ A big time program

He isn't a lock to be a successful head coach, but it appears the "big" name coaches, like Cower, Gruden, aren't available.

Tressel may be named interim coach to finish out the year in the next few weeks

I HIGHLY doubt that Tressel was brought in to be a replay assistant only................

He isn't a lock to be a successful head coach, but it appears the "big" name coaches, like Cower, Gruden, aren't available.

I HIGHLY doubt that Tressel was brought in to be a replay assistant only................

Deano

Gruden would kill you and me and both our families to coach Peyton Manning.,.

Why would believe he's not available.??

I thought he was the coach

I agree,there are not a lot of coaches in history with the kind of track record Tress has.

I am baffled, people around here are claiming Peyton knows it all, has been running practices for how long and such? So if true why couldn't he be a HC? I mean he probably knows more about defense then many and I am sure he would bring on good coaches around him. I am shocked that people don't think he couldn't handle being a HC.

I am baffled, people around here are claiming Peyton knows it all, has been running practices for how long and such? So if true why couldn't he be a HC? I mean he probably knows more about defense then many and I am sure he would bring on good coaches around him. I am shocked that people don't think he couldn't handle being a HC.

I am shocked that you created yet another thread simply to wait for any and all opinions that you can argue with. Oh wait, no I'm not.

Deano

Gruden would kill you and me and both our families to coach Peyton Manning.,.

Why would believe he's not available.??

Supposedly, he has been asked by a few teams since he retired.

He has declined because he liked the broadcasting gig.

I also dont know if he would come to coach Peyton Manning, because I really feel that it is 50/50

on his return.

So..... I look at the names out there.............

None seem to have the pedigree that Tressel has.......... or put another way, there have been MANY coaches picked

to be head coaches in the NFL, with MUCH less of a pedigree.

Tressel as OC, Manning as QB coach and Luck as QB, I don't know about you but to me that sounds like an all-star cast offensively.

I would agree, I do think Manning could potentially make a fine OC or QB coach.

What to do with special teams and D though would be a different story.

Tressel as HC, Manning as OC, ??? as DC.

I think QB coach would actually be beneath PM, OC would take advantage of his talents. He's more or less like a OC on the field and runs the practices anyway.