Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mathis #19

Ja'Crispy

such nonsense. if von miller or aldon smith got 19.5 sacks, they would be in the top 10

It's a players ranking for 2014 season, and mathis will not be playing in first four games, so his impact is probablly going to be lesser this season..

That being said, all of these offseason lists are really starting to anoy me.. bring on the season allready!

What??

Regression to the mean.  

It's the best players for 2014 right??  Who's more likely to keep up that pace next season. . . the player who's done it every year he's been in the league or the guy who's been in the league for 10 years but hasn't started playing at that level until this year.  

Lets be honest Mathis's play last season is very likely to be just a 1 year career year and not a sign of things to come.  

Regression to the mean.

It's the best players for 2014 right?? Who's more likely to keep up that pace next season. . . the player who's done it every year he's been in the league or the guy who's been in the league for 10 years but hasn't started playing at that level until this year.

Its supposed to be based mostly on 2013 I thought.

Its supposed to be based mostly on 2013 I thought.

You may be right,  but I wasn't aware there was any set criteria.

I think players can do/vote for anyone they want for whatever reason they want.

I think one interesting thing is this....   players are only asked to vote for their top 20 players.    Not top 100.    Just top 20.

Doesn't make sense to me,  but that's how it's explained at the start of the series.    Votes are tabulated off of that...........

Go figure.......?

You may be right, but I wasn't aware there was any set criteria.

I think one interesting thing is this.... players are only asked to vote for their top 20 players. Not top 100. Just top 20.

Doesn't make sense to me, but that's how it's explained at the start of the series. Votes are tabulated off of that...........

Go figure.......?

I've already that a bunch of players didn't vote and didn't know any other players that did. This list shouldn't be taken seriously.

I've already that a bunch of players didn't vote and didn't know any other players that did. This list shouldn't be taken seriously.

Also from last night.......

Aaron Rogers came in at #11.       Guess his injuries last year knocked him down a few pegs.....

smh......

Regression to the mean.

It's the best players for 2014 right?? Who's more likely to keep up that pace next season. . . the player who's done it every year he's been in the league or the guy who's been in the league for 10 years but hasn't started playing at that level until this year.

Lets be honest Mathis's play last season is very likely to be just a 1 year career year and not a sign of things to come.

So you are telling me both smith and miller have a longer history of making 19+ sacks a year? (I really don't know the stats of the top of my head, but doubt it)

Or that they have a longer history of having a string of 10+ sack seasons and being a constant top-end pass rushers in the league?

If any of the above holds true, ok, sorry, but if not, your claim that they have a "LONGER HISTORY OF DOING SO" is invalid...

You may be right,  but I wasn't aware there was any set criteria.

I think one interesting thing is this....   players are only asked to vote for their top 20 players.    Not top 100.    Just top 20.

Doesn't make sense to me,  but that's how it's explained at the start of the series.    Votes are tabulated off of that...........

Go figure.......?

This is exactly it. There is no set criteria. Some guys vote for life-time achievement, some guys vote for the past season alone. Hence why Peyton made the list around #50 the year he didn't play. Some had him in for his achievements, some left him off because he didn't play.

It's a weird, screwy list that really doesn't accurately reflect anything more than biases and popularity. 

So you are telling me both smith and miller have a longer history of making 19+ sacks a year? (I really don't know the stats of the top of my head, but doubt it)

Or that they have a longer history of having a string of 10+ sack seasons and being a constant top-end pass rushers in the league?

If any of the above holds true, ok, sorry, but if not, your claim that they have a "LONGER HISTORY OF DOING SO" is invalid...

Take out his season because Von Miller got injured and Aldon Smith was in rehab.

In the previous 2 years Von Miller averages 15 sacks a season.

In the previous 2 years Aldon Smith averages 16.75 sacks a season

In the previous 2 years Robert Mathis averages 8.75 sacks a season

In 10 seasons prior to this one Robert Mathis's best season in terms of sack total ties Von Miller's rookie year sack total and is lower then Aldon Smith's rookie year sack total of 14.  Von Miller had 18.5 sacks his 2nd year and Aldon Smith 19.5.

Prior to this year Robert Mathis only broke the 10 sack total 4 times.

Cut out the outlying totals of his rookie year (3.5) and this year (19.5) and his average sacks per year is 9.7.  

Robert Mathis was always considered a good pass rusher getting a solid number of sacks each year  But he wasn't an elite level talent and never had elite level numbers until this year.  However Von Miller and Aldon Smith both showed themselves to have elite or close to elite level numbers from day one.  

At the start of 2013 if you had said that Von Miller or Aldon Smith was going to put up 19.5 sacks that year it wouldn't have been a crazy statement, because they had both approached that level before.  

However saying that Robert Mathis would do it would have been somewhat crazy because he had never approached that level of play before.

And it's great that he did, but if you are wondering why Mathis would be ranked lower then Von Miller or Aldon Smith with the same stats then it's just as simple as in 10 years Robert Mathis has never until now shown himself to be an elite level pass rusher putting up elite level sack totals.  For Von Miller and Aldon Smith they had both already put up numbers close to that in the past.  

Also from last night.......

Aaron Rogers came in at #11.       Guess his injuries last year knocked him down a few pegs.....

smh......

The real shock to me was JJ Watt at #12.  

Granted his team only won 2 games, but he doesn't play quarterback and if you ask me he's still the best defensive player in the NFL.  He does it all at an elite level.  He bats down passes, he puts pressure on the QB and gets sacks and he stuffs the run game.  

Sherman is bound to be ahead of him in the list but you can find times where Sherman got beat (that doesn't mean he's a bad player but it's happened.)  Has anyone ever pancaked JJ Watt without hitting him from behind or using more then 1 guy?  When was the last time JJ Watt was really blown off the ball by one blocker?

One thing you should be keeping in mind is it's the players who vote for this....It's their opinion and that's it. There is this not so small possibility that you could just maybe be happy he's that high on the list if you actually take time to think how many players are in the NFL. 

BULL CRAP! how is Robert Quinn and JJ Watt ahead of him! He should be in the top 10!

Robert Quinn was a better pass rusher last year (not by a whole lot, but he was), and JJ Watt is simply the most dominant defensive player in the league right now.

I'm not sure why people get so upset over these rankings. How you sense disrespect in Mathis being ranked the 19th best player in the entire league -- out of 1600 players -- is beyond me. Being 19th is impressive.

Take out his season because Von Miller got injured and Aldon Smith was in rehab.

In 10 seasons prior to this one Robert Mathis's best season in terms of sack total ties Von Miller's rookie year sack total and is lower then Aldon Smith's rookie year sack total of 14.  Von Miller had 18.5 sacks his 2nd year and Aldon Smith 19.5.

Cut out the outlying totals of his rookie year (3.5) and this year (19.5) and his average sacks per year is 9.7.  

Robert Mathis was always considered a good pass rusher getting a solid number of sacks each year  But he wasn't an elite level talent and never had elite level numbers until this year.  However Von Miller and Aldon Smith both showed themselves to have elite or close to elite level numbers from day one.  

At the start of 2013 if you had said that Von Miller or Aldon Smith was going to put up 19.5 sacks that year it wouldn't have been a crazy statement, because they had both approached that level before.  

However saying that Robert Mathis would do it would have been somewhat crazy because he had never approached that level of play before.

And it's great that he did, but if you are wondering why Mathis would be ranked lower then Von Miller or Aldon Smith with the same stats then it's just as simple as in 10 years Robert Mathis has never until now shown himself to be an elite level pass rusher putting up elite level sack totals.  For Von Miller and Aldon Smith they had both already put up numbers close to that in the past.  

How many sacks a year do you think it cost Mathis playing on the strong side opposite Freeney?

In 10 seasons prior to this one Robert Mathis's best season in terms of sack total ties Von Miller's rookie year sack total and is lower then Aldon Smith's rookie year sack total of 14. Von Miller had 18.5 sacks his 2nd year and Aldon Smith 19.5.

Robert Mathis was always considered a good pass rusher getting a solid number of sacks each year But he wasn't an elite level talent and never had elite level numbers until this year. However Von Miller and Aldon Smith both showed themselves to have elite or close to elite level numbers from day one.

And it's great that he did, but if you are wondering why Mathis would be ranked lower then Von Miller or Aldon Smith with the same stats then it's just as simple as in 10 years Robert Mathis has never until now shown himself to be an elite level pass rusher putting up elite level sack totals. For Von Miller and Aldon Smith they had both already put up numbers close to that in the past.

But you cant forget during his whole career until this year he was next too a future HOF Dwight Freeney. Your facts are of course correct but throw that in and you understand why his numbers were low

yeah, take one season they weren't good away, you have only two seasons of great stats..

then take out the best season of robert's carrier away to prove your point..

great job of manipulating the statistics..

it still doesn't change the fact those two DO NOT HAVE A LONGER HISTORY OF DOING SO.

but lets agree to disagree on that..

BULL CRAP! how is Robert Quinn and JJ Watt ahead of him! He should be in the top 10!

For more than a decade Mathis (and Saturday) are/were my favorite players.  But even I would put JJ Watt ahead of Mathis.  In fact, I would take Watt over everyone but the top QB's. 

Robert Quinn: 19 sacks 7 FF

Robert Mathis 19.5 Sacks 8 FF

Mathis technically had better stats, you'd think he would be put higher than Quinn.

Quinn had more total pressures, and a much higher rate of pressure. He also played on a better defensive front, which might mean that he faced fewer chips and double teams from the offense. There are lots of different ways to look at this.

I don't think it's a big deal, either way. Mathis was 19th, Quinn was 13th. And there are no other pass rushers in that gap. It's not like there's this great separation between them. 

I thought this all along but I had no proof of it until now....players don't vote for the NFL top 100 people at NFL network does. Well they deny they do but yea right..

When fans complained about Whitners ranking or non ranking (I don't remember if he is on the list or not)

@DonteWhitner: The people @nflnetwork votes on that!

@nflnetwork: @DonteWhitner No we don't.

@DonteWhitner: “@nflnetwork: @DonteWhitner No we don't.” {lies... No one in the 49ers locker room voted! None of my friends around the league voted!}

@DonteWhitner: “@nflnetwork: @DonteWhitner No we don't.” {so who voted???}

@DonteWhitner: @nflnetwork who voted? I didn't get an answer...

@DonteWhitner: Only thing players vote on is the pro bowl. Go ask the players that are on twitter if they voted and at me with their answers please.

Of course NFL network failed to respond after that lol. Cats out of the bag for sure now..basically just confirmation on what some people already thought

Edit: just seen Dustin already posted about it