Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay And Another Cryptic Tweet Suggesting We Will Draft A Qb.

If we in fact have the #1 pick, I will be shocked if we don't take Luck. I also think that Manning is done in Indy. This is just my humble opinion based solely off reading Irsay's cryptic tweets, what he's said in interviews, as well as Polian's comments and scouting. It's just a hunch. I hate it as I loved watching #18 in a Colts uniform. But I think he's done in Indy. For Peyton, I hope he can at least come back and play for awhile, but I have serious doubts about that happening as well.

I agree completely. No way a successful, LT head coach takes a position as coordinator for another team. The most likely person mentioned above is Del Rio. I would love to have Cowher come to Indy and build a team. I just don't think he's going to go back into coaching, particularly in Indy. However, if I could pick a guy, I'd love seeing the Jaw on the sidelines in Indianapolis and I honestly would love to see Del Rio as the DC. That said, I am tired of our pathetic cover 2 scheme and small players. Bring in the jaw and a 3-4, blitz happy defense. Heck, bring in Mike Singletary as our defensive coordinator.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree completely. No way a successful, LT head coach takes a position as coordinator for another team. The most likely person mentioned above is Del Rio. I would love to have Cowher come to Indy and build a team. I just don't think he's going to go back into coaching, particularly in Indy. However, if I could pick a guy, I'd love seeing the Jaw on the sidelines in Indianapolis and I honestly would love to see Del Rio as the DC. That said, I am tired of our pathetic cover 2 scheme and small players. Bring in the jaw and a 3-4, blitz happy defense. Heck, bring in Mike Singletary as our defensive coordinator.

Heck, bring in Mike Singletary as a player. I'm sure he can do better than what we have now!

As a dedicated Colts fan for the past 44 years, not only did they get it done in 2006, but they've had a great run for the past decade.

I am hopeful this season is an aberration and the Colts can return to being a legitimate perrenial contender under the leadership and direction of Manning for at least another four years.

Wouldn't it make sense that Polian and Irsay would make it clear they want Andrew Luck to drive the price up if they wished to trade him??? After all, I thought it was funny when last year Polian kept talking about possibly drafting a QB with their #1 pick. What was the result? QBs were picked much higher then projected, which is one reason Castonza dropped so far. I think Bill bluffs as well as anyone.

I will expect them to talk about Luck like he is the new Peyton Manning to get as much as they possibly can for that pick. If Miami picks at #1 and doesn't think the Colts would pick Luck, they might take the chance of him falling.

Man, why are so many of you all total Luck haters? Who in their right mind would put Landry Jones or Matt Barkley or any other QB prospect in this year's draft ahead of Andrew Luck? It's not that he's in another stratosphere or anything, but he is definitely a complete QB prospect, and that is so rare and hard to find. People keep saying, "Well just take another QB and we'll be fine." I guess we could have done that in 97 and traded down to select Ryan Leaf, that would have worked out great...

With QB prospects, you always ALWAYS take the most elite prospect available if you get the chance. Luck is every bit the passer that these other prospects are, if not better. But you know what else he has that they don't? His incredible mobility. Luck extends plays, gets out of the pocket, throws on the run and rushes for first downs better than any QB prospect in this year's draft, let alone most drafts. This is a part of his game that makes him unique, and will greatly benefit him in the NFL. Anymore, you need QB's who can move around and avoid the rush, a la Roethlisberger. And on top of his mobility and IQ, Luck is a very good passer as well, plus all of the intangibles.

He is without a doubt the #1 QB prospect, and although any guy can bust, he seems to be the most likely to succeed. So if we have a chance to take him, you don't trade down and just "take another QB". Instead, the Colts front office drafts Andrew Luck, and then they all go home happy. That is what needs to happen, plain and simple.

Your first paragraph is a horrible comparison, trade down a draft Ryan Leaf? 1st, some NFL teams wanted Leaf more than Peyton Manning. 2nd, you wouldn't get hardly any value trading back to the 2nd overall pick to draft Ryan Leaf, maybe a 2nd rounder at best.

At least try to make sense instead of being sarcastic in your arguments...

I think we will but I also heard Polian say in his interview with Lamey they expect Peyton Maning to be the starter next year. I am guessing we draft Luck (we aren't blowing a two game lead) and keep Manning. I don't think it's either or like the media is trying to say it is.

I personally will not be surprised if Luck pulls a John Elway and states that he does not want to sit behind Manning as the No.1 pick but wants to play right away. Stanford QB, Pick No.1, part 2 :). Deja vu all over again.

Not by many...very few people would say there is a better QB in this draft. Last time I check Barkley or anyoher QB weren't being called the most sure thing since Manning.

have you seen him play?, have you seen his laser guided arm? he is one of the most accurate college passers I've ever seen, save for Elway, Marino, and a few others like the Mannings ----- he is wildly accurate. drops passes into small windows, is also athletic. yea, he's thrown a few picks (last game) but he was playing Oregon and they are tremendous, he's beat tremendous teams over and over.

I just hope he comes info the draft knowing he is not going to get his ring this year due to the Oregon defeat.

If you are going to take a QB in this draft and you have a chance to take the one that is supposed to be the next great QB you go ahead and take Luck and use the rest of the picks on defense.

Honestly the defense has played better since the Saints game.

The offense has been beyond awful. Frankly if we had anything remotely close to a QB we would be okay but we don't. With that said there still improvements to be made on defense.

Since Saints Game we haven't played a team with such balance on Offense as far as Running & Throwing I believe

If you are going to take a QB in this draft and you have a chance to take the one that is supposed to be the next great QB you go ahead and take Luck and use the rest of the picks on defense.

Honeslty the defense has played better since the Saints game.

The offense has been beyond awful. Frankly if we had anything remotely close to a QB we would be okay but we don't. With that said there still improvements to be made on defense.

Since Saints Game we haven't played a team with such balance on Offense as far as Running & Throwing I believe

Even the defensive effort, which appeared to be decent, really wasn't. The Jags rushed for 141 yards (22 yards above their average). When did holding a team to 141 yards become decent? The Jags also put up their second highest point total of the season. That should tell you just about how awful they are (their highest output was 20) and how unimpressive the Colts defense was. Forget about the fact that the Jags have MDJ, if you are a proud football team, you expect to hold teams below there averages, you expect better.

http://www.stampedeb...xcusable-effort

Dont forget, if we take luck with the first pick, we also get the first pick of every subsequent round to rebuild some needs. NFL rookies can contribute quickly, and with the skill positions we have, we wouldnt be that far away. I dont think you gamble and take anyone BUT luck if you are taking a quarterback, Just my opinion.

have you seen him play?, have you seen his laser guided arm? he is one of the most accurate college passers I've ever seen, save for Elway, Marino, and a few others like the Mannings ----- he is wildly accurate. drops passes into small windows, is also athletic. yea, he's thrown a few picks (last game) but he was playing Oregon and they are tremendous, he's beat tremendous teams over and over.

I just hope he comes info the draft knowing he is not going to get his ring this year due to the Oregon defeat.

Andrew Luck has not beating tremendous team at all. The best team they have played and beatin? Virginia Tech and that's not very impressive. The Hokies are a consistent but average football team.

Sam Bradford was more accurate than Andrew Luck ;)

Oregons defense is actually not very good, i thought Andrew Luck was going to shred them but it didn't happen.

Luck's accuracy and arm strength are both overrated. How many of his passes were high against Oregon? Yeah Herbstreit chucked it up to field conditions but I've been watching Luck throw those type of timing routes high all year long.

Luck's accuracy and arm strength are both overrated. How many of his passes were high against Oregon? Yeah Herbstreit chucked it up to field conditions but I've been watching Luck throw those type of timing routes high all year long.

ROFL!!!!!!!!

71 percent completion for his College Career!!

ROFL!!!!!!!!

He's averaging 71% completion over the past two years and 65% completion percentage if you include his freshman year (keep in mind that most freshmen do not start). So, overall he has a 65% completion percentage over his college career, which is still very good.

What else did Polian say in his postgame radio interview with that hard hitting reporter, Bob Lamey?

LOL.Everybody needs to give Bob Lamey a break,he can't really do anything without fear of his job.Believe me he is suffering as much as any of us.Do you really think he is buying that nonsense Polian spews after every loss?He probably goes home and rants to his family.I don't like Lamey or his playcalling,never have or will,but he isn't going to ever rock the boat.

ROFL!!!!!!!!

He's averaging 71% completion over the past two years and 65% completion percentage if you include his freshman year (keep in mind that most freshmen do not start). So, overall he has a 65% completion percentage over his college career, which is still very good.

You can throw inaccurate passes but still get them completed when you have receivers who can make adjustments to get to the ball. See RG3. :rolleyes:

Also consider, yes he is completing 71% of his passes but it was very much talked about during a recent game that their coaches analyzed every throw and every play and came to the conclusion that he's completing 97% of his passes on play action. While that is a great completion percentage, you have to ask yourself how low his completion percentage is on straight up drop backs in order for the season average to hang at 71%. ;)

You can throw inaccurate passes but still get them completed when you have receivers who can make adjustments to get to the ball. See RG3. :rolleyes:

Also consider, yes he is completing 71% of his passes but it was very much talked about during a recent game that their coaches analyzed every throw and every play and came to the conclusion that he's completing 97% of his passes on play action. While that is a great completion percentage, you have to ask yourself how low his completion percentage is on straight up drop backs in order for the season average to hang at 71%. ;)

didnt know that....ill say this, its the first Luck game ive seen and i wasnt impressed. he has accuracy i wont deny that and looks like a leader, but that team has a running game and (of course i may be wrong since i just addmited i just watched his 1st game) to me, their bread and butter is the running game, they are not asking him to carry this team i think. Again i might be wrong but i got that impression.

actually, their offense reminded me a lot of what SF is doing right now (I know its Harbaugh offense) but point is, its the same offense that is making look Alex Smith a pro bowler.

im not here to bash Luck, but after hearing he is jesus chrst playing football i cant help but to say that i wasnt impressed that much and that all the Hype he is getting is unreal, i hope he doesnt crumble to the inevitable pressure media will create on him. its not his fault, but it is going to happen.

didnt know that....ill say this, its the first Luck game ive seen and i wasnt impressed. he has accuracy i wont deny that and looks like a leader, but that team has a running game and (of course i may be wrong since i just addmited i just watched his 1st game) to me, their bread and butter is the running game, they are not asking him to carry this team i think. Again i might be wrong but i got that impression.

actually, their offense reminded me a lot of what SF is doing right now (I know its Harbaugh offense) but point is, its the same offense that is making look Alex Smith a pro bowler.

im not here to bash Luck, but after hearing he is jesus chrst playing football i cant help but to say that i wasnt impressed that much and that all the Hype he is getting is unreal, i hope he doesnt crumble to the inevitable pressure media will create on him. its not his fault, but it is going to happen.

lol...I only laugh because I'm glad someone else sees the same thing. I'm not saying Luck is not a good Qb, but he is in a system that is very QB friendly and designed to make the QB look good by limiting what he has to do.

And incidentally, just to clarify, when I say his accuracy is overrated, it's not to say that he's inaccurate perse but rather that he isn't the most accurate QB in football like some will try to make him out to be. His timing routes (primarily his comeback, deep out and intermediate and deep cross) are quite often thrown high.

lol...I only laugh because I'm glad someone else sees the same thing. I'm not saying Luck is not a good Qb, but he is in a system that is very QB friendly and designed to make the QB look good by limiting what he has to do.

And incidentally, just to clarify, when I say his accuracy is overrated, it's not to say that he's inaccurate perse but rather that he isn't the most accurate QB in football like some will try to make him out to be. His timing routes (primarily his comeback, deep out and intermediate and deep cross) are quite often thrown high.

yea that might be the case,also, i didnt see a single deep throw ...I saw a nice post i think and a nice TD pass between defenders but i dont think i remember single long pass.

Pretty sure they did get it done. 2006?

And were a few plays from doing it again in 2009.

As a dedicated Colts fan for the past 44 years, not only did they get it done in 2006, but they've had a great run for the past decade.

I am hopeful this season is an aberration and the Colts can return to being a legitimate perrenial contender under the leadership and direction of Manning for at least another four years.

Amen!

Wouldn't it make sense that Polian and Irsay would make it clear they want Andrew Luck to drive the price up if they wished to trade him??? After all, I thought it was funny when last year Polian kept talking about possibly drafting a QB with their #1 pick. What was the result? QBs were picked much higher then projected, which is one reason Castonza dropped so far. I think Bill bluffs as well as anyone.

I will expect them to talk about Luck like he is the new Peyton Manning to get as much as they possibly can for that pick. If Miami picks at #1 and doesn't think the Colts would pick Luck, they might take the chance of him falling.

I agree here. Polian and Irsay are far smarter than this bitter crowd will give them credit for. If we weren't losing, we'd hear only about how brilliant this front office is (again).

Even the defensive effort, which appeared to be decent, really wasn't. The Jags rushed for 141 yards (22 yards above their average). When did holding a team to 141 yards become decent? The Jags also put up their second highest point total of the season. That should tell you just about how awful they are (their highest output was 20) and how unimpressive the Colts defense was. Forget about the fact that the Jags have MDJ, if you are a proud football team, you expect to hold teams below there averages, you expect better.

http://www.stampedeb...xcusable-effort

Right, but how much of the defensive woes are tied directly to the awful Curtis Painter and our inability to convert 3rd downs? We are going 3-and-out faster than any team in the league, which puts tremendous pressure on our defense. Earlier in the season, they were playing hard and getting stops. Late in games, however, they were gassed because our offense couldn't stay on the field. Now it's taking it's toll on the macro level. Our defense is starting games tired, injured, and worn out.

Our defensive problems have more to do with our lack of an offense right now than anything else.

His incredible mobility. Luck extends plays, gets out of the pocket, throws on the run and rushes for first downs better than any QB prospect in this year's draft, let alone most drafts.

RG3 is twice as good as luck in that aspect, and is more of a timing QB. He throws the ball as the receiver is entering his break so when he whips his head around the ball is there. Much like Manning does. Everyone is so in love with Luck because the media is in love with luck. There are other QBs in this draft believe it or not, if we had no QB then we take Luck, but we have Manning (hopefully). Take a QB at the top of the 2nd and give him 3 years to learn the offense and more importantly give the team 3 years to be well an actual team. Aaron Rodgers was never the next manning but he took over a 13-3 team and succeeded, not a possible winless team. steve young was never the next great one but took over a championship caliber team and had success. Ive said this before and will say it again, a great team wins SBs not the next great QB.

RG3 is twice as good as luck in that aspect, and is more of a timing QB. He throws the ball as the receiver is entering his break so when he whips his head around the ball is there. Much like Manning does. Everyone is so in love with Luck because the media is in love with luck. There are other QBs in this draft believe it or not, if we had no QB then we take Luck, but we have Manning (hopefully). Take a QB at the top of the 2nd and give him 3 years to learn the offense and more importantly give the team 3 years to be well an actual team. Aaron Rodgers was never the next manning but he took over a 13-3 team and succeeded, not a possible winless team. steve young was never the next great one but took over a championship caliber team and had success. Ive said this before and will say it again, a great team wins SBs not the next great QB.

I like Robert Griffin III, but I think it is still to early to draft a QB. Peyton Manning's current contract is for 5 years including this year, so I'd wait a few years. Isn't Griffin a junior though? He could stay in college for another year if so and that would benefit him greatly. Also, I'd rather draft a talented SS or OG in the top of the 2nd instead of a quarterback.

The tweet could also mean Irsay is going to clean out the front office and/or coaching staff...

Not saying that's what's going to happen, but after the '97 season we hired Polian and Mora who then drafted PM.

This aspect of the tweet has been overlooked by everyone. Suppose it's because of the Luck/Manning fixation that has been created by the media and our pathetic showing this year.

I looked up his career stats(including freshman year) and he has a completion percentage of 66.4 646 out of 973 so if you want to split hairs, thats cool. But he is trending up into 71 plus completion percentage and he is only a junior. Let some NFL coaches get ahold of him, work on his mechanics, and he would only get better. He runs like a raped ape outside the pocket too, and we cant forget that very solid aspect of his game, considering how often he would have to run behind a rebuilt offensive line.

I looked up his career stats(including freshman year) and he has a completion percentage of 66.4 646 out of 973 so if you want to split hairs, thats cool. But he is trending up into 71 plus completion percentage and he is only a junior. Let some NFL coaches get ahold of him, work on his mechanics, and he would only get better. He runs like a raped ape outside the pocket too, and we cant forget that very solid aspect of his game, considering how often he would have to run behind a rebuilt offensive line.

2 things:

1. Andrew Luck did not start as a freshman. He started as a red-shirt freshman which I consider a sophomore considering that he still gets to fully practice with the team. He just gets an extra year of eligibility.

2. Running quaterbacks have there benefits and there consequences. You don't have to be fast and athletic to be able to extend the play. Just look at Peyton Manning and Ben Rothlesburger. The only benefit from a running quarterback is that they are more able to run for yards on the ground. They are more easily injured though if they take a lot of hits while running. Michael Vick is always beat up and injured behind his O-line and he is a 1000 times better scrambler than Andrew Luck. Aaron Rodgers has gotten as concusion and missed games after he got tackled on a scrambling attempt.

2 things:

1. Andrew Luck did not start as a freshman. He started as a red-shirt freshman which I consider a sophomore considering that he still gets to fully practice with the team. He just gets an extra year of eligibility.

2. Running quaterbacks have there benefits and there consequences. You don't have to be fast and athletic to be able to extend the play. Just look at Peyton Manning and Ben Rothlesburger. The only benefit from a running quarterback is that they are more able to run for yards on the ground. They are more easily injured though if they take a lot of hits while running. Michael Vick is always beat up and injured behind his O-line and he is a 1000 times better scrambler than Andrew Luck. Aaron Rodgers has gotten as concusion and missed games after he got tackled on a scrambling attempt.

A. Whatever you want to call it, freshman year, redshirt year, orange polka dot year, I dont care. I compiled the stats and the percentage is not open for interpretation. It is what it is.

B. To say the ONLY benefit of a Quarterback who can run is yardage, is silly mr friend. I can think of many benefits:

Quarterback draw packages vs. Cover two

escapeability

option to run wildcat/read option type plays near the goaline/redzone

Inclemnet weather games, playoff games very windy games it adds dimension to the offense

run/pass rollout options

etc.

A. Whatever you want to call it, freshman year, redshirt year, orange polka dot year, I dont care. I compiled the stats and the percentage is not open for interpretation. It is what it is.

B. To say the ONLY benefit of a Quarterback who can run is yardage, is silly mr friend. I can think of many benefits:

Quarterback draw packages vs. Cover two

escapeability

option to run wildcat/read option type plays near the goaline/redzone

Inclemnet weather games, playoff games very windy games it adds dimension to the offense

run/pass rollout options

etc.

All of those things fall under running for yardage. You don't have to be a scrambler to have "escapeability." Ben Rothlesburger is far from a scrambler but he has great escapeability. And do you expect the colts to run wildcat and option plays? They don't run trick plays and formations like that very often.

All of those things fall under running for yardage. You don't have to be a scrambler to have "escapeability." Ben Rothlesburger is far from a scrambler but he has great escapeability. And do you expect the colts to run wildcat and option plays? They don't run trick plays and formations like that very often.

How could you Possibly pretend to know what a new head coach and offensive Co-ordinator would scheme with Andrew luck? You dont know, and neither do I, but I have been watching football long enough to know that there is more benefit to having a Quarterback who can run then just "racking up yardage" so continue to argue that if you like, but consider what Aaron Rodgers Running ability did for him last year(and this year), and then make an informed statement.

also, ask yourself this Question, "In the 2004 AFC championship game when the colts played the Patriots in a relatively low scoring game, in very cold, bad windy weather, with lockdown coverage in place because the Pats were dropping 8 into coverage, how would Peyton have been able to positively effect the game for the Colts IF he was able to Run like Andrew Luck?"

Here is a little sumthin sumthin for you to watch and decide what a Quarterback who has the ability to run can do for a team. I love the field level shots, they give you perspective on Luck's speed, Size, and Athleticism. He routinely leaves CB's in the dust if they take bad angles. Also note not just the "Yardage" accumulated, but the touchdowns. I am pretty sure those can help a team win games. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zputbI9YoHE

How could you Possibly pretend to know what a new head coach and offensive Co-ordinator would scheme with Andrew luck? You dont know, and neither do I, but I have been watching football long enough to know that there is more benefit to having a Quarterback who can run then just "racking up yardage" so continue to argue that if you like, but consider what Aaron Rodgers Running ability did for him last year(and this year), and then make an informed statement.

also, ask yourself this Question, "In the 2004 AFC championship game when the colts played the Patriots in a relatively low scoring game, in very cold, bad windy weather, with lockdown coverage in place because the Pats were dropping 8 into coverage, how would Peyton have been able to positively effect the game for the Colts IF he was able to Run like Andrew Luck?"

The colts run the ball, duhhh. Also, if there are 8 guys in coverage, then there is not any running room down the field for quarterbacks. They mostly rely on man coverage to run the ball. I thought you knew that? Yeah... maybe not.

The colts run the ball, duhhh. Also, if there are 8 guys in coverage, then there is not any running room down the field for quarterbacks. They mostly rely on man coverage to run the ball. I thought you knew that? Yeah... maybe not.

This statement showed me there is no point in arguing with you anymore. When Peyton sees 8 dropped in coverage, he audibles to a run for the Running backs because he can NOT run. If Luck sees 8 drop and no one is open, that is a perfect time for him to take off. Also, you can have 8 drop AND man coverage at the same time. Its called Man under zone. You are misinformed and your dislike of Luck is causing you to not see clearly.

This statement showed me there is no point in arguing with you anymore. When Peyton sees 8 dropped in coverage, he audibles to a run for the Running backs because he can NOT run. If Luck sees 8 drop and no one is open, that is a perfect time for him to take off. Also, you can have 8 drop AND man coverage at the same time. Its called Man under zone. You are misinformed and your dislike of Luck is causing you to not see clearly.

Luck is fine, you are just one of those kinds of people who like running quarterbacks and that's fine. I'm just telling you that running quarterbacks are not better just because they can run and pass the ball. They usually don't succeed in the NFL. I prefer a guy who is a great passer who has great pocket awareness like Peyton Manning.

Luck is fine, you are just one of those kinds of people who like running quarterbacks and that's fine. I'm just telling you that running quarterbacks are not better just because they can run and pass the ball. They usually don't succeed in the NFL. I prefer a guy who is a great passer who has great pocket awareness like Peyton Manning.

The QB who has great pocket awareness AND is a threat to take off to run is the next evolutionary phase of the position. They are the new breed if you will. Aaron Rogers is a case in point. Luck's tool set also potentially puts him in this category.

The QB who has great pocket awareness AND is a threat to take off to run is the next evolutionary phase of the position. They are the new breed if you will. Aaron Rogers is a case in point. Luck's tool set also potentially puts him in this category.

No it is not the new breed. That's what the media has been saying for years. What about Vince Young? Or the many other scrambling quarterbacks who didn't work out? The quarterbacks job is to pass the ball, not run around and increase the chance of injury.

No it is not the new breed. That's what the media has been saying for years. What about Vince Young? Or the many other scrambling quarterbacks who didn't work out? The quarterbacks job is to pass the ball, not run around and increase the chance of injury.

The quarterback who can make something out of nothing with his legs when things break down around him and stand in the pocket and dissect defenses has more options and is more of a threat than a guy who can only do one thing. That is who I am referring to. You don't see Rogers and Luck running around haphazardly just for the heck of it but they can giddy up when they have to.

Vince Young and those other scramblers who didn't work out (as you put it) all lacked the pocket awareness skill that Rogers, Luck and Cam Newton seem to have. So I would not include them in the same category. Vick's scrambling skills are so much above everyone else's that it sets him apart in his own right but he doesn't have the overall pocket awareness for me to consider him a member of this new breed category although he improved upon his passing skills last season.

Of course Luck & Cam (to a lesser extent) still have to show this duality at the next level but I am speaking purely in terms of prototypes here.

For what it's worth, I think that Fran Tarkenton & Steve Young were before their time and could probably be considered forerunners for this particular QB prototype.

The quarterback who can make something out of nothing with his legs when things break down around him and stand in the pocket and dissect defenses has more options and is more of a threat than a guy who can only do one thing. That is who I am referring to. You don't see Rogers and Luck running around haphazardly just for the heck of it but they can giddy up when they have to.

Vince Young and those other scramblers who didn't work out (as you put it) all lacked the pocket awareness skill that Rogers, Luck and Cam Newton seem to have. So I would not include them in the same category. Vick's scrambling skills are so much above everyone else's that it sets him apart in his own right but he doesn't have the overall pocket awareness for me to consider him a member of this new breed category although he improved upon his passing skills last season.

Of course Luck & Cam (to a lesser extent) still have to show this duality at the next level but I am speaking purely in terms of prototypes here.

For what it's worth, I think that Fran Tarkenton & Steve Young were before their time and could probably be considered forerunners for this particular QB prototype.

I wouldn't exactly call guys like Andrew Luck and Aaron Rodgers scramblers though, there basically quarterbacks who are a faster and can move a little better than a normal passing quarterback. But like I said, you don't have to be fast and athletic to extend the play. I'll mention Ben Rothlesburger's uncanny ability to avoid pressure and run around and break tackles. He's just a really big and non athletic quarterback. Peyton avoids pressure in the pocket so well that he extends plays all the time.

What I'm trying to say is that if you have great pocket awareness, it doesn't really matter if you are faster and more athletic than another quarterback. And I would say that Cam Newton is in a different league than Luck and most other quarterbacks in terms of running. He is so big and athletic that he is a quarterback who is also a runningback. He is playing well, but let's see him keep doing it.