Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay And Another Cryptic Tweet Suggesting We Will Draft A Qb.

I would say the odds of the Colts retaining Manning is slim to none. I would also say the odds of Manning actually playing again aren't much better. Here's on for you, why doesn't Irsay make Manning the head coach and fire Caldwell? It's clear Manning was the HC all along anyway. Here is his tweet. Obviously our success came after the '97 draft. It was also the year we drafted PM. This could be interpreted for face value, or you could be like me and interpret as saying we are drafting another franchise QB.

2011_irsaytwitter_13_normal.jpg

JimIrsay Jim Irsay

0 - 10 is no fun 4any1,namely r fans..we'll get it turned around,we did after 1997 n we'll do it again/I know the way,no quick fixes..FAITH!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we will but I also heard Polian say in his interview with Lamey they expect Peyton Maning to be the starter next year. I am guessing we draft Luck (we aren't blowing a two game lead) and keep Manning. I don't think it's either or like the media is trying to say it is.

Maybe trade down get extra picks and get another qb other than luck.So many needs on defense.

Maybe trade down get extra picks and get another qb other than luck.So many needs on defense.

If you are going to take a QB in this draft and you have a chance to take the one that is supposed to be the next great QB you go ahead and take Luck and use the rest of the picks on defense. Honeslty the defense has played better since the Saints game. The offense has been beyond awful. Frankly if we had anything remotely close to a QB we would be okay but we don't. With that said there still improvements to be made on defense.

Or fire the front office and coaching staff.

Drafting any quarterback is worthless without those changes first.

I agree and I think you have to shuffle most, if not all, of the coaching deck. Let's not discount that fact that Manning had Howard Mudd and Tom Moore as key coaches for the first 11 years with the Colts. This can't be overlooked. There is no doubt that Caldwell is an inferior coach in this league. But it would be tough for anyone to win in this league with the personnel the Polians have assembled. This is without a doubt the most anticipated draft in the history of our franchise. There has never been a collossal collapse in one season like we've seen with our Colts. What a complete collapse. It's unprecedented. I can't wait for the draft to see how this story unfolds.

If you are going to take a QB in this draft and you have a chance to take the one that is supposed to be the next great QB you go ahead and take Luck and use the rest of the picks on defense. Honeslty the defense has played better since the Saints game. The offense has been beyond awful. Frankly if we had anything remotely close to a QB we would be okay but we don't. With that said there still improvements to be made on defense.

Debatable if he is the best.

Luck didn't look that great against Oregon you can say it was just 1 game. But this imo was just a test of how he would perform against a good defense. There will be much more and much better defenses in the nfl. So I definitely think you get luck then trade him for more picks or you end up in the exact same boat you are in now. With no guarantee Luck will be "great". We have to improve on defense, the oline, special teams really all aspects of this team. And without any changes in the coaching staff I dont think it matters who we draft they would be doomed to fail or get injured.

I think we will but I also heard Polian say in his interview with Lamey they expect Peyton Maning to be the starter next year. I am guessing we draft Luck (we aren't blowing a two game lead) and keep Manning. I don't think it's either or like the media is trying to say it is.

I agree with this.

Luck didn't look that great against Oregon you can say it was just 1 game. But this imo was just a test of how he would perform against a good defense. There will be much more and much better defenses in the nfl. So I definitely think you get luck then trade him for more picks or you end up in the exact same boat you are in now. With no guarantee Luck will be "great". We have to improve on defense, the oline, special teams really all aspects of this team. And without any changes in the coaching staff I dont think it matters who we draft they would be doomed to fail or get injured.

Definitely no guarantees in any player. Let's also remember that Peyton never beat Florida in his career. Last night was the first time I was able to watch Luck play and like you, I wasn't overly impressed. He does look very poised. Ironically as I was watching the game, I couldn't help but drawing the comparison to Stanfords defense and ours. The Cardinal couldn't stop them at all defensively. The coach even seemed overmatched. Seems like Luck would fit in right here in Indy.

Man, why are so many of you all total Luck haters? Who in their right mind would put Landry Jones or Matt Barkley or any other QB prospect in this year's draft ahead of Andrew Luck? It's not that he's in another stratosphere or anything, but he is definitely a complete QB prospect, and that is so rare and hard to find. People keep saying, "Well just take another QB and we'll be fine." I guess we could have done that in 97 and traded down to select Ryan Leaf, that would have worked out great...

With QB prospects, you always ALWAYS take the most elite prospect available if you get the chance. Luck is every bit the passer that these other prospects are, if not better. But you know what else he has that they don't? His incredible mobility. Luck extends plays, gets out of the pocket, throws on the run and rushes for first downs better than any QB prospect in this year's draft, let alone most drafts. This is a part of his game that makes him unique, and will greatly benefit him in the NFL. Anymore, you need QB's who can move around and avoid the rush, a la Roethlisberger. And on top of his mobility and IQ, Luck is a very good passer as well, plus all of the intangibles.

He is without a doubt the #1 QB prospect, and although any guy can bust, he seems to be the most likely to succeed. So if we have a chance to take him, you don't trade down and just "take another QB". Instead, the Colts front office drafts Andrew Luck, and then they all go home happy. That is what needs to happen, plain and simple.

Last night was the first time I was able to watch Luck play and like you, I wasn't overly impressed.

Dude's a stud, I've been watching him the past few games. Just try and watch him without looking for signs of him being the next Brady or Manning, and also recognize he's only 20 or 21 years old. Personally, as good as he obviously is, I think he would probably benefit from returning for his senior year, as Manning and Brady both did, but I don't see him doing it.

Dude's a stud, I've been watching him the past few games. Just try and watch him without looking for signs of him being the next Brady or Manning, and also recognize he's only 20 or 21 years old. Personally, as good as he obviously is, I think he would probably benefit from returning for his senior year, as Manning and Brady both did, but I don't see him doing it.

He also doesn't have a deep threat receiver. He has a bunch of possession receivers and no defense to back him up. They were playing from behind all night and he still had a decent game.

And another tweet from the cheerleader. Jim, I love ya, but wake up and smell the coffee, this team sucks and changes need to be made... fire some ppl. On a brighter note...

Andrew Luck welcome to Indy, I'll be wearing your jersey soon.

That would be a travesty (for us) should he decide to play in his senior year. That said, I believe Manning left after his junior year and still received a degree. I believe this is the same scenario for Luck.

Man, why are so many of you all total Luck haters? Who in their right mind would put Landry Jones or Matt Barkley or any other QB prospect in this year's draft ahead of Andrew Luck? It's not that he's in another stratosphere or anything, but he is definitely a complete QB prospect, and that is so rare and hard to find. People keep saying, "Well just take another QB and we'll be fine." I guess we could have done that in 97 and traded down to select Ryan Leaf, that would have worked out great...

With QB prospects, you always ALWAYS take the most elite prospect available if you get the chance. Luck is every bit the passer that these other prospects are, if not better. But you know what else he has that they don't? His incredible mobility. Luck extends plays, gets out of the pocket, throws on the run and rushes for first downs better than any QB prospect in this year's draft, let alone most drafts. This is a part of his game that makes him unique, and will greatly benefit him in the NFL. Anymore, you need QB's who can move around and avoid the rush, a la Roethlisberger. And on top of his mobility and IQ, Luck is a very good passer as well, plus all of the intangibles.

He is without a doubt the #1 QB prospect, and although any guy can bust, he seems to be the most likely to succeed. So if we have a chance to take him, you don't trade down and just "take another QB". Instead, the Colts front office drafts Andrew Luck, and then they all go home happy. That is what needs to happen, plain and simple.

I agree with everything you said. The other thing you didn't mention was his football IQ and ability to read defenses and think QUICK and make good decisions. I suppose this is what you are referring to in intangibles. Regardless, I agree. We take luck and I say we take it a step further and trade some of our veterens for more pics. We don't need Tamme and Clark. I love Clark, but if Tamme proved us anything last year, Clark is expendable. We have no value for Reggie since he's in a contract year. The same with Mathis. Clark and Freeney present our greatest trade bait, IMO. We simply don't have enough draft pics and need to upgrade at so many positions it's tough to make our team elite again without going FA route. That said, should we draft Luck and not have Manning, we will be in rebuilding mode for 3 seasons. Let's not forget that PM went 3-13 in his first season which allowed us to draft Edge with the 4th pic of that year's draft. It's rebuilding time for sure and with this team, we have nowhere to go but up.

That would be a travesty (for us) should he decide to play in his senior year. That said, I believe Manning left after his junior year and still received a degree. I believe this is the same scenario for Luck.

Manning played 4 years at Tennessee. Luck, I believe, will finish his degree this year.

What else did Polian say in his postgame radio interview with that hard hitting reporter, Bob Lamey?

The one thing that Polian said that left me speechless...He distinctly said that the false starts and dumb penalties were a recent addition to our ineptness. Excuse me? The Colts have been making stupid penalties all season long, is this bozo really that blind to the true state of his team? Rhetorical question, as we all know now that he is.

Jeff Fisher DC, and Andy Reid as OC. Insert Random HC who is lookin for his first shot. Hope for the best.

Fisher can take avg players and late picks, and turn them into a pretty solid def.

Reid can groom a young QB with the WC off, and he can find some pretty good off talent as well.

Both guys have experience of leading NFL teams, but neither would have the pressure.

Now if only I could armchair a GM.

You have to take Luck. Period. End of discussion. The number one pick is essentially stolen money. If Manning had played, the worst I see it would be 8-8, and no sniff of a high pick. We take Luck, and he pulls a Ryan Leaf, who cares? Like I said, we really shouldn't be picking in this spot. Plus we have first pick in other rounds. We don't take him, then there is the possible Sam Bowie scenario, and no one wants that.

The only other scenario is if Luck goes the Elway/Eli route, then it's out of our hands essentially, and it is what it is.

Coaches like Andy Reid, and Jon Gruden aren't even going to bat an eye at Coordinator job. There is more chance of Caldwell winning 10 Super Bowl's in a row than there is for Reid, Gruden or a coach of that ilk taking a coordinator position with any team.

What we do with the #1 pick all depends on Manning.

If he's healthy and by healthy I mean plays at or near his historical level, then you explore trade opportunities with the #1 pick and try to get a huge package deal for the #1 pick.

If he's not healthy, you still explore the trade opportunities and if you are blown away with a package, then you weight it vs. selecting Luck.

Either way massive changes need to be made to this team from a structural viewpoint or there are going to be huge issues moving forward and that is with or without Manning. A healthy Manning will cover up more issues than a green Luck, but issues still need to be addressed and those issues start at Mr. Bill Polian and work their way down the whole staff!

Coaches like Andy Reid, and Jon Gruden aren't even going to bat an eye at Coordinator job. There is more chance of Caldwell winning 10 Super Bowl's in a row than there is for Reid, Gruden or a coach of that ilk taking a coordinator position with any team.

I think the lack of opportunities are going to force alot of hands. Colts, Miami, maybe Ari, StL,Minn will be avail. Factor in some pieces would be in place for each cord. to start with. And the lure of the #1 overall pick and the opportunity to completely groom the QB, i think its a job that would merit some serious consideration. Same can be said for the def. cord position.

And another tweet from the cheerleader. Jim, I love ya, but wake up and smell the coffee, this team sucks and changes need to be made... fire some ppl. On a brighter note...

Andrew Luck welcome to Indy, I'll be wearing your jersey soon.

Firing them now isn't going to do anyone any good. Also, the last time Jim was making the football calls for this franchise seasons like this were the norm.

I think the lack of opportunities are going to force alot of hands. Colts, Miami, maybe Ari, StL,Minn will be avail. Factor in some pieces would be in place for each cord. to start with. And the lure of the #1 overall pick and the opportunity to completely groom the QB, i think its a job that would merit some serious consideration. Same can be said for the def. cord position.

Gruden is happy on TV. Cowher is happy on TV. Fisher is happy watching his son play football I think somewhere out west. Dungy, happy on TV.

Reid will be on tv, or move on to another team like John Fox did and Fox didn't have an Andy Reid pedigree. Just like those that want Zimmer or Rob Ryan for DC. It's a good idea, but it's not feasible. It's not an upgrade for them. HC? different story, but some are just throwing out names and not caring where they stick. Some are just not very realistic. I'm not even sure if someone like Jack Del Rio would go back to a DC position. I could see him on TV. If you look at the HC's that go back to a DC/OC type set up they weren't very successful to start with. You don't see a coach with any type of longevity taking a demotion back to a coordinator position.

What we do with the #1 pick all depends on Manning.

If he's healthy and by healthy I mean plays at or near his historical level, then you explore trade opportunities with the #1 pick and try to get a huge package deal for the #1 pick.

If he's not healthy, you still explore the trade opportunities and if you are blown away with a package, then you weight it vs. selecting Luck.

Either way massive changes need to be made to this team from a structural viewpoint or there are going to be huge issues moving forward and that is with or without Manning. A healthy Manning will cover up more issues than a green Luck, but issues still need to be addressed and those issues start at Mr. Bill Polian and work their way down the whole staff!

If we in fact have the #1 pick, I will be shocked if we don't take Luck. I also think that Manning is done in Indy. This is just my humble opinion based solely off reading Irsay's cryptic tweets, what he's said in interviews, as well as Polian's comments and scouting. It's just a hunch. I hate it as I loved watching #18 in a Colts uniform. But I think he's done in Indy. For Peyton, I hope he can at least come back and play for awhile, but I have serious doubts about that happening as well.