Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Urlacher > Angerer

Oh man.....Cowboys are interested in Urlacher (36) and Vilma (32) while Angerer is still a FA? Ouch!! 

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/288664/report-cowboys-evaluating-urlacher-vilma

2410.jpg

According to ESPN's Ed Werder, the Cowboys are evaluating all middle linebacker options, including veteran free agents like Brian Urlacher and Jonathan Vilma.

Per Werder, the Cowboys want to replace Sean Lee (torn ACL) with a two-player platoon. They're not expecting in-house options Devonte Holloman or Anthony Hitchens to run with the job. Urlacher retired a year ago after finding crickets on the free-agent market and is 36 years old, but would theoretically fit in Rod Marinelli's Tampa-2. He reportedly "took notice" when Lee got hurt. Meanwhile, knee troubles have led to a sharp decline in play for the 32-year-old Vilma. The Cowboys are really scraping the bottom of the barrel here.

I read it as if they are saying they are surprised they are looking at Urlacher and NOT surprised they are looking at every other ILB option.  

It is closer to saying Angerer>Urlacher than the other way around... 

Interesting what Rotoworld says about Angerer.

So is Pat purposefully not signing with anyone to heal?  That's a mistake IMO.  If he takes a year off of the NFL it's unlikely he'll draw much interest the following year.

Free agent ILB Pat Angerer is recovering from microfracture surgery, and "still a few months away" from conducting workouts.

Angerer claims he received interest from "several teams" earlier this offseason, but wants to hold off on free-agent visits until he's 100 percent healthy. Angerer was oft-injured during his four years in Indianapolis, dealing with multiple knee and foot issues. Angerer played 501 largely-ineffective snaps last season before landing on injured reserve in December. Apr 8 - 8:49 PM

It's not like Angerer was a really bad player.. Just was set back by injuries constantly which you don't want at middle linebacker or any posistion really!

People seem to forget that he played well his rookie year and then was in the 100+ tackle club his 2nd year

It's not like Angerer was a really bad player.. Just was set back by injuries constantly which you don't want at middle linebacker or any posistion really!

People seem to forget that he played well his rookie year and then was in the 100+ tackle club his 2nd year

most of his 100+ were for gains, not a good stat,  need tackles for losses, a lot better stat

Tackling someone after they're 10+ yards down the field really isn't much to marvel at

#JustSaying

most of his 100+ were for gains, not a good stat,  need tackles for losses, a lot better stat

Tackling someone after they're 10+ yards down the field really isn't much to marvel at

#JustSaying

Most of his tackles were for gains that is true, because he made quite a few tackles in the passing game.  But if you filter out his tackles in the running game then it's not true.  It's been a long time since I figured it out and I don't have the numbers in front of me but against the run nearly 70% of his tackles (it was 68.something) were for a gain of 3 yards or less (I did this last offseason so it does not include 2013 plays).  You really can't ask much more from a LB than that.  That is solid play in the run game.  Angerer's biggest problem that I noticed in the run game was he was not good on 3rd and 3 to 5 yards if the team ran it.  His first step was always toward dropping back into coverage and then coming up when he read run.

Most of his tackles were for gains that is true, because he made quite a few tackles in the passing game. But if you filter out his tackles in the running game then it's not true. It's been a long time since I figured it out and I don't have the numbers in front of me but against the run nearly 70% of his tackles (it was 68.something) were for a gain of 3 yards or less (I did this last offseason so it does not include 2013 plays). You really can't ask much more from a LB than that. That is solid play in the run game. Angerer's biggest problem that I noticed in the run game was he was not good on 3rd and 3 to 5 yards if the team ran it. His first step was always toward dropping back into coverage and then coming up when he read run.

Not taking anything from him when it comes to the tackles for loss or 3 or less yard gains tackles. But majority of his tackles seemed to be downfield

Angerer is a pure 4-3 MLB no question. The Bears would be dumb to sign Brian Urlacher over him

Not taking anything from him when it comes to the tackles for loss or 3 or less yard gains tackles. But majority of his tackles seemed to be downfield

Angerer is a pure 4-3 MLB no question. The Bears would be dumb to sign Brian Urlacher over him

Well as long as you don't let facts (I do realize they are facts from the memory of an aging brain) get in the way of perceptions. ;)