Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jack Mewhort -- Colts -- Full Scouting Report

Andy

Pagano and Grigson have not ruled Mewhort out at center. It is certainly still open for debate as the season moves along. Things can happen that put Mewhort at center when it is all said and done.

The difference here is that I am saying it "could" happen, whereas Tkinght is saying it will "never" happen.

They haven't ruled him out at RB either. I don't think it takes an explicit statement saying he won't play center to deduce that he won't play center. What the Colts have said is that Holmes is the presumptive center, and they think Mewhort's ceiling is at guard. I think that's pretty definitive.

Yeah, things can happen where Mewhort will be thrown in at center. Like I said, "never" is too strong a word, obviously. But Mewhort isn't a center, wasn't drafted to play center, and barring several injuries, probably won't play center. We have 3 true centers on the roster already, and another guard who has played center in the league before. Yeah, Mewhort could play center, but it's probably not on the menu right now.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha great comeback

I admit Texas hasn't been the same since the loss to Bama in the BCS. But I'll take the struggles over being a fan of a team who's not as good as the media makes them out to be

Braxton Miller isn't the answer to your QB position. He's the only weak spot on that offense. I like Hyde a lot & was hoping we'd draft him but then remembered we have Trent, Vick, & Ahmad so that wasn't gonna happen haha

Isn't it past your bedtime?

They haven't ruled him out at RB either. I don't think it takes an explicit statement saying he won't play center to deduce that he won't play center. What the Colts have said is that Holmes is the presumptive center, and they think Mewhort's ceiling is at guard. I think that's pretty definitive.

Yeah, things can happen where Mewhort will be thrown in at center. Like I said, "never" is too strong a word, obviously. But Mewhort isn't a center, wasn't drafted to play center, and barring several injuries, probably won't play center. We have 3 true centers on the roster already, and another guard who has played center in the league before. Yeah, Mewhort could play center, but it's probably not on the menu right now.

I am not sure why snide comments are needed in regard to an outlandish position Mewhort would not play. RB? Come on man. That is the problem on these boards if you ask me. Hell, that is why this debate came to fruition in the first place. That said, sure they could put him at full back to block and hand it to him on a gimmick play. It would not be the first time we have seen that.

But yes, things can happen that put Mewhort at center, and that was my point. We will not carry 3 full-time centers on the roster. This is why we drafted Mewhort; because he can play every position.

I am not sure why snide comments are needed in regard to an outlandish position Mewhort would not play. RB? Come on man. That is the problem on these boards if you ask me. Hell, that is why this debate came to fruition in the first place. That said, sure they could put him at full back to block and hand it to him on a gimmick play. It would not be the first time we have seen that.

But yes, things can happen that put Mewhort at center, and that was my point. We will not carry 3 full-time centers on the roster. This is why we drafted Mewhort; because he can play every position.

I don't mean to be snide. Just a little reduction to the absurd to make the point clear, and that's simply that I don't think the staff has to rule him out at center for us to say that he's probably and most likely not going to play center.

Just because he didn't play center in college doesn't mean he can 't

There are a lot of factors that determine your position like upperclassmen depth

A factor may have been that the line coaches didn't like tall centers

Example:

I was moved from Center to Guard because I couldn't snap the ball a certain way

I don't mean to be snide. Just a little reduction to the absurd to make the point clear, and that's simply that I don't think the staff has to rule him out at center for us to say that he's probably and most likely not going to play center.

Pagano was asked the question if Mewhort would play center or backup center, and he responded that it is a possibility. Pagano has repeatedly said the thing they loved about Mewhort the most was his position flexibility.  

He is not too tall to be a center.

And your original point was that he has never played center. He has played center.

He would be the tallest center in the NFL by at least one inch, and yes he would be too tall for a center, unless he has exceptional knee bend, which he does not.

He never played center in college; honestly, I don't care if he played center in high school. I was referring to college. 

Pagano was asked the question if Mewhort would play center or backup center, and he responded that it is a possibility. Pagano has repeatedly said the thing they loved about Mewhort the most was his position flexibility.  

That's cool. Keep in mind, I have no dog in this fight. I just think it's pretty obvious that he's not expected to play center, barring a ton of injuries in front of him. We'll see how it goes in camp and preseason.

I love his versatility, and I agree that it adds to his allure. And because injuries happen, at some point in time, his versatility will probably be called on. But as a prospect, I think he's most likely a guard. You probably agree. He could still play center in a pinch, obviously.

Can Robert even practice with us due to his suspension?

Well, Josh Gordon practiced with the Browns. So, I'm guessing Mathis can practice and be at TC, just cannot play in pre-season or the regular season. Or maybe he can, for pre-season? Not sure about that part.

He would be the tallest center in the NFL by at least one inch, and yes he would be too tall for a center, unless he has exceptional knee bend, which he does not.

He never played center in college; honestly, I don't care if he played center in high school. I was referring to college. 

He would not be too tall to play center.

And when you said "never", that means never.

That's cool. Keep in mind, I have no dog in this fight. I just think it's pretty obvious that he's not expected to play center, barring a ton of injuries in front of him. We'll see how it goes in camp and preseason.

I love his versatility, and I agree that it adds to his allure. And because injuries happen, at some point in time, his versatility will probably be called on. But as a prospect, I think he's most likely a guard. You probably agree. He could still play center in a pinch, obviously.

That is exactly my stance too. I believe there are possibilities that could land him at center, and there is also a possibility that he plays well at center, and it is tough to move him away from it. I would even go as far to say that someday down the road, he could become a tackle. That is all hypothetical, but possible.

I am just not ready to rule out Mewhort as a candidate at center, at least at some point in his Colts career.

That said, it is also very likely that he plays guard and stays there.

Well, Josh Gordon practiced with the Browns. So, I'm guessing Mathis can practice and be at TC, just cannot play in pre-season or the regular season. Or maybe he can, for pre-season? Not sure about that part.

Josh Gordon hasn't officially been suspended yet, I don't think. But suspended players can participate in all offseason and preseason activities. The suspension begins Week 1 of the regular season.

I think the exception to that would be a suspension handed down by the league or the team under the personal conduct policy or the conduct detrimental policy. In that case, the team or the league might determine that the player shouldn't be involved in any team activities for a period of time, even during the offseason. 

He has never played center.

A lot of being a center is about being a leader and about being able to read defenses. Nothing from college indicates that he is either. If needed, he could probably come in and do a decent job, but it is not his best position.

He looks like a guard in the NFL and I think that's what the Colts drafted him for. 

Here you go he snapped the ball at his pro day and he was an All-American center coming out of St. John Jesuit High School in Toledo, Ohio

That is exactly my stance too. I believe there are possibilities that could land him at center, and there is also a possibility that he plays well at center, and it is tough to move him away from it. I would even go as far to say that someday down the road, he could become a tackle. That is all hypothetical, but possible.

I am just not ready to rule out Mewhort as a candidate at center, at least at some point in his Colts career.

That said, it is also very likely that he plays guard and stays there.

That would be ideal. Like Grigson said, that's probably his best position, so if he gets in and makes it happen, there would be no reason to move him at all. We have a couple of years to acquire and develop a new RT before Cherilus goes anywhere, assuming he stays healthy. And Castonzo is under contract through 2015, assuming we honor the option that was already picked up (it's only guaranteed for injury, so if he were to stink in 2014, we could release him with no penalty). Hopefully Holmes puts his stamp on the center position. Mewhort's got to make it happen at guard. Thornton, too.

Warren Sapp was a tight end in high school, doesn't mean he's a tight end in the NFL.

High school and the NFL are completely different on every level.

The biggest component about being a center is reading the defense. I'm not ruling it out a couple of years down the line, but his little experience suggests that he's not a center for the Colts in his rookie year.

Plus, he doesn't have the right size for a center; he's too tall.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/tampa-bay-buccaneers/0ap2000000214914/September-21-2003-Warren-Sapp-catches-a-TD-pass '> http://www.nfl.com/videos/tampa-bay-buccaneers/0ap2000000214914/September-21-2003-Warren-Sapp-catches-a-TD-pass

He can play in all pre season games

He may have never had to play C in a game but he did in practice in case they needed him. That is one of the things that is really great about the kid he can play all 5 spots if he had too. Hopefully he and Thorton man the G positions for us for the next 10 yrs with Holmes in the middle

http://www.jconline.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/05/09/colts-take-ohio-state-lineman-mewhort-nfl-draft/8925779/

He may have never had to play C in a game but he did in practice in case they needed him. That is one of the things that is really great about the kid he can play all 5 spots if he had too. Hopefully he and Thorton man the G positions for us for the next 10 yrs with Holmes in the middle

http://www.jconline.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/05/09/colts-take-ohio-state-lineman-mewhort-nfl-draft/8925779/

Agreed

Again, he's never played center, so I would find it hard to imagine that he could be a Day 1 starter at center with so little experience. He has experience at guard, and if he works out as a guard in training camp, he could be a suitable Day 1 LG or RG. 

Out of all the big name draft guys, Mayock is my favorite and one of the smartest, but here I have to disagree with him; there isn't much that suggests that Mewhort is a center and has no experience playing it. 

Mayock was asked what caught his attention at OSU's Pro Day and he mentioned that Mewhort was snapping the ball, which caused some buzz among the scouts. It is an exaggeration to say Mayock said he could be a center.

Mayock was asked what caught his attention at OSU's Pro Day and he mentioned that Mewhort was snapping the ball, which caused some buzz among the scouts. It is an exaggeration to say Mayock said he could be a center.

I believe Mayock said he thinks Mewhort can play center and might project at center for us on draft night. Something like that, but my memory could be off. It definitely wasn't a definitive statement, like "he's going to play center." 

He would not be too tall to play center.

And when you said "never", that means never.

Ok, I'm not going to go back and forth with you on the height part; there hasn't been a starting center 6'6 and over in the last several years. It's not a coincidence. It's not like he won't ever play the position, but he needs to learn how to play lower before he could ever play there.

And if you want to keep nitpicking on the never part, great keep doing it; he NEVER PLAY IT IN COLLEGE. I'm not going back to high school, and I find it funny that you keep using his high school days as evidence that he can successfully play it in the NFL.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying he can't play it in the NFL, but it's definitely not where his potential is, and I would be disappointed if the Colts put him as a center over a guard. He should only play center in dire situations. 

And if you want to keep nitpicking on the never part, great keep doing it; he NEVER PLAY IT IN COLLEGE. I'm not going back to high school, and I find it funny that you keep using his high school days as evidence that he can successfully play it in the NFL..

1. A less than five minute google search would have told you mewhort played center all through high school.

2. If you didn't want to take the time for step 1 then you could have said he didn't play center in college rather than adamantly saying "he's never played center"

3. I don't recall the poster you quoted ever using the fact that mewhort played C in high school as proof he could play it in the pros. He only used that fact to prove you wrong about "he's never played C".

Looks like his strength is run blocking and once he goes against the likes of Mathis, his play against speed rushers will improve.

I dont think thats how it works....I think the word your looking for is more like EXPOSED

1. A less than five minute google search would have told you mewhort played center all through high school.

2. If you didn't want to take the time for step 1 then you could have said he didn't play center in college rather than adamantly saying "he's never played center"

3. I don't recall the poster you quoted ever using the fact that mewhort played C in high school as proof he could play it in the pros. He only used that fact to prove you wrong about "he's never played C".

Jason, what's your point here?

I'm talking about college, which is more relevant to Mewhort and his playing abilities now. Step 2; I was referring to his college days.

I find it hilarious that people are nitpicking me over that. Looks like I have to be more detailed, even though I made myself pretty clear with my statements. 

Anybody else want to nitpick me over that?

There's the ifs again haha terrible

Only thing I guaranteed was that the Indianapolis Colts would NOT draft a C with the #59th overall pick of the 2014 NFL Draft live from radio city music hall

That held true

Drafting a C & Drafting a guy who can play C are 2 different things

Every offensive lineman could play C IF needed.

But not every offensive lineman IS a C

Case & Point

Goodbye BlueShoe :wave: :wave:

*Adds to ignore list*

Sooo.........people other than members here have talked of JM being a possible center.......but we must abolish that silly talk.

Got it.

*Adds to ignore list*

That is absolutely not true. Watch the Colts draft video on YouTube. Mayock said that many people in the league believe that Mewhort's best position in the NFL is at center.

Ok, I'm not going to go back and forth with you on the height part; there hasn't been a starting center 6'6 and over in the last several years. It's not a coincidence. It's not like he won't ever play the position, but he needs to learn how to play lower before he could ever play there.

And if you want to keep nitpicking on the never part, great keep doing it; he NEVER PLAY IT IN COLLEGE. I'm not going back to high school, and I find it funny that you keep using his high school days as evidence that he can successfully play it in the NFL.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying he can't play it in the NFL, but it's definitely not where his potential is, and I would be disappointed if the Colts put him as a center over a guard. He should only play center in dire situations.

You can keep thinking you make the rules on how tall an NFL center can be. You don't. Jared Veldheer played center at 6'8" a few years ago.

Obviously you haven't been paying attention, because if you had then you would notice that our entire offensive line is getting taller.

Jason, what's your point here?

I'm talking about college, which is more relevant to Mewhort and his playing abilities now. Step 2; I was referring to his college days.

I find it hilarious that people are nitpicking me over that. Looks like I have to be more detailed, even though I made myself pretty clear with my statements.

Anybody else want to nitpick me over that?

I find it hilarious that someone on a fan forum would write a scouting report to begin with. Nevertheless get it wrong, say the player never played center before, and not know the player was an all-american center in high school.

What would your perspective be if someone else created this thread, and made those mistakes? How badly would a Colts beat writer get bashed on this board if he made those mistakes?

What you have created is a copy and paste report, and it is done every year in the NFL. One person says this or that about a player and it gets copied so much that it becomes biblical.

Have you actually scouted Mewhort? Have you watched him play in person? Did he work out for you? Did he run specific drills that you requested? Of course not. So this entire thread is not a scouting report. It is merely a fans opinion based on reading other websites that have also been copied and pasted. And let's be honest, that fan didn't have enough credibility to even know the player was a top recruited center in high school.

Wow...... Tough crowd

Internet bullies........

But, I very much like the pick of Mewhort

You can see that this guy is strong as an ox, and plays with a nasty approach

He will learn a few teqniques and be our guard for a year or two.

I predict he will do very well

Long term, welcome to our right tackle