Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots targeting Tom Savage for Brady's replacement

chad72

He was terrible in the AFCCG. I don't know what game you were watching. He missed at least 4 TDs and couldn't score until garbage time. Brady was pretty average overall throughout the season.

As for Manning, I also think they should draft a QB early this year.

If Brady was "terrible" in the AFCCG, then what word would you use to describe Luck's performance in the divisional round? Is Andrew on the decline too?  :thmup:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh stop it... you're too smart to believe that hooey. ;)

QBs who rely on their physical skills see the decline. Brady's arm is just fine and his legs were never there to begin with. So unless you're saying he's actually slipping mentally and going senile or something... not a chance.

On topic though, the Patriots will not use their first round pick on a QB. I read months ago (before he shot up the boards) that they had interest in Savage.

What's more likely is that they'll unload the 29th pick to some QB-needy team (assuming some of them are still around) and trade down for additional spots. If they pick at 29 it will be a defensive lineman or possibly a TE, depending on how it plays out with the first 28 teams.

Accuracy is the 1st thing to go.

If Brady was "terrible" in the AFCCG, then what word would you use to describe Luck's performance in the divisional round? Is Andrew on the decline too? :thmup:

Nice deflection. Luck was terrible as well. They were terrible in different ways. Luck had a bunch of turnovers, and Brady couldn't hit a pass more than 10 yards downfield.

lol. 4 TDs. Try 2. One early to Edelman and one late in the first half to Collie that may or may not have been a TD if he caught it in stride. Statiscally Brady had a below season compared to his other seasons given his whole receiving corp changed over but he still led the Pats the second seed with 5 game winning drives/comebacks. His arm strength still looks great as well as his decision-making. He has never had a great deep ball except for when he had Moss as that was really the only time in the last several seasons that he has had a legit deep threat.

Why does Denver need to address QB? They have Osweiller.

Osweiller isn't good. And 4 was correct.

They are so screwed once Brady is out the door.

Belichek has proven over the years that he's really not all that. Know it's a sin to admit it, but his defenses have been god awful the past 6 years when he's supposed to be defensive guru genius #1.

And I believe Brady only has a year or two left in him. His arm is declining, all those missed bombs and overthrown deep passes last year really showed up.

Thank god the Brady and Manning period is almost over. I will be so happy once the book finally closes on the golden boys.

Nice deflection. Luck was terrible as well. They were terrible in different ways. Luck had a bunch of turnovers, and Brady couldn't hit a pass more than 10 yards downfield.

You mean nice comparison using your ill logic. You are usually better than this Dustin.

They are so screwed once Brady is out the door.

Belichek has proven over the years that he's really not all that. Know it's a sin to admit it, but his defenses have been god awful the past 6 years when he's supposed to be defensive guru genius #1.

And I believe Brady only has a year or two left in him. His arm is declining, all those missed bombs and overthrown deep passes last year really showed up.

Thank god the Brady and Manning period is almost over. I will be so happy once the book finally closes on the golden boys.

Last I checked Bill is the HC though not the DC and his team has been the most successful team in the NFL for the past 13+ years that he has been coaching.

We all know how much you are reveling in the day when the golden boys are gone. You say it every thread even when it has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Savage is rocketing up draft boards and will not be around very long and if he is the favorite QB of the Pats they will have take him with their 1st Round Pick or trade back into the 2nd to pick him

If they were really set on drafting the next heir apparent, then this is one time where I would be in favor of them trading back into the 2nd round.  They really don't need a whole lot through the draft, which is what makes it a lot more interesting.  Their secondary as as good as its been in a long, long time. Their linebacking core is one of the best in the NFL in my opinion.

Pats biggest needs to me are:

Defensive Line - Wilfork only has a few years left, Tommy Kelly is an aging vet and they havent had any young studs step up.  This position was depleted of talent last year when they both went down, so it needs to be addressed with a 1st or 2nd day draft pick.

Tight End - They need another Aaron Hernandez type of TE that can be moved around as a pass catcher.  After Gronk, there is a huge drop off into the abyss as far as talent at the TE position. 

Offensive Line - They need an eventual replacement for Mankins whos getting up their in age.  They could also use a Center or RG as well.

Wide Receiver - I still think they could benefit from a giant WR who can outfight people for the ball in the redzone.  They have plenty of smaller, faster guys that can get open in various ways, and they have a burner in Dobson and Boyce.  Now they need that big bodied guy to create some mismatches.

Backup QB - Need to always be looking at the future and Mallet isnt the long term answer at this point.

Thats really it, those are their biggest needs in that order of priority in my opinion.

If they were really set on drafting the next heir apparent, then this is one time where I would be in favor of them trading back into the 2nd round.  They really don't need a whole lot through the draft, which is what makes it a lot more interesting.  Their secondary as as good as its been in a long, long time. Their linebacking core is one of the best in the NFL in my opinion.

Pats biggest needs to me are:

Defensive Line - Wilfork only has a few years left, Tommy Kelly is an aging vet and they havent had any young studs step up.  This position was depleted of talent last year when they both went down, so it needs to be addressed with a 1st or 2nd day draft pick.

Tight End - They need another Aaron Hernandez type of TE that can be moved around as a pass catcher.  After Gronk, there is a huge drop off into the abyss as far as talent at the TE position. 

Offensive Line - They need an eventual replacement for Mankins whos getting up their in age.  They could also use a Center or RG as well.

Wide Receiver - I still think they could benefit from a giant WR who can outfight people for the ball in the redzone.  They have plenty of smaller, faster guys that can get open in various ways, and they have a burner in Dobson and Boyce.  Now they need that big bodied guy to create some mismatches.

Backup QB - Need to always be looking at the future and Mallet isnt the long term answer at this point.

Thats really it, those are their biggest needs in that order of priority in my opinion.

I agree with list. I would add strong safety after WR unless they believe Harmon has the goods then I think they will not draft that position.

Honestly, the measurement of players based on drafting is over rated.

199th pick has 3 SBs.

Welker undrafted.

Foster undrafted.

List is long.

Not true at all. There are always exceptions, but 80% of blue-chip players are 1st or 2nd round guys.

i can actually see Browner playing more of a SS role for them

Yeah there has been some talk of that. But I don't think he has ever played that position before and there is some belief that his athleticism may be lacking. He was mostly a press corner for the Seahawks so he brought the wood. I like that. I do think they are high on Harmon who played well last year when Gregory went out.

Accuracy is the 1st thing to go.

You think? I've honestly never heard that. Decline in arm strength can of course offshoot accuracy issues, but nothing seems to be wrong with Brady's arm. Maybe there are metrics to support what you're saying but it seems counter-intuitive to the notion that a QB gets smarter as he gets older (and therefore doesn't make as many risky throws/poor decisions). 

Admittedly somewhat of a deflection... just testing your honesty, really.  ;)

I understand a lot of Brady's numbers were "off" last year, but I don't think anyone really knows yet if you can chalk that up to him declining or if it's more about the issues they had with receiver turnover and injuries. There were times he looked shaky and was part of the problem, and there were times he had almost literally no help. I do firmly believe that most teams who experience that kind of turnover at the offensive skill positions would not have had a winning record, let alone been the #2 seed in their conference. It wasn't always pretty, but there were a number of games last year where Brady carried the Pats. 

It'll be interesting to see, with guys getting a little more experience and some minor additions, what will happen with the Patriots' passing game this season. Brady's days of huge numbers are probably over though. I don't see any 40-TD, 5000 yard seasons coming. But that's more reflective of their current personnel than him. 

I thought NE may struggle next year more but after seeing their schedule it might be 13-3 without  breaking a sweat so who knows.

But, Tom Savage sounds like a bad nickname to me......can't help it lmao

I think someone comments every single year on our schedule saying its easy, when in actuality they have had one of the harder schedules the last several years.

Removing division games from the equation, as division games are always tough and unpredictable, the Patriots have a pretty tough schedule.

Kansas City (2013 playoff team)

Cincinnati (2013 playoff team)

Denver (2013 playoff team)

Indianapolis (2013 playoff team)

San Diego (2013 playoff team)

Green Bay (2013 playoff team)

Chicago and Detroit were nearly in the playoffs as well.  The Lions have the firepower to beat anybody on any given Sunday, and the Bears have a lot of weapons on O and a strong D.

The only real gimmies on the Pats schedule are the vikings, raiders and bills.  The Bills have collected an enormous amount of talent on the defensive side of the ball though and can still cause some upsets.

The Dolphins and Jets play them tough every single year and they usually split with them, so i dont know what world you're living in but that is not even close to an easy schedule.

By Comparison, the Colts only play 4 playoff teams from last year and have the cupcake Jaguars and Titans to gift them 4 games from the AFC South.  The Texans were a joke last year but I think that is more of a fluke than anything, but if you're going off of last years standings, the Colts have the easiest path to the playoffs in the league with their weak division.

Also I believe the reason the Pats went hard for Revis was because of the receivers they'll be facing this year:

Calvin Johnson

AJ Green

Demarius Thomas

Brandon Marshall

Dwayne Bowe

Reggie Wayne

Keenan Allen

Randall Cobb

Mike Wallace

Greg Jennings

Not worth a first round draft pick? Not the first overall but there are QBs worth a 1st round pick

We differ on opinion.  However, if Minnesota takes Bortles or Manzeil with their 1st pick, would I heckle them?  No.  Why?  They need a QB, others may take them off the board before their second round pick.  So, in a QB driven league, you may just have to {what we used to call reach} take you QB earlier than his grade would suggest and get on with your program.  I get it, but I don't think any of these will set the world on fire right away.  They all have holes and DC's will see it and take advantage. 

And yes, the Minnesota choice means I don't think any team before them should take a QB.  They should trade down some, gain an extra pick, and still get their QB.

Brady or Manning or Breese, do you stick with a guy that can't get you further than round one or two in the playoffs in this era? "Winning is everything" means exactly what it says. No organization holds on to a former great that is now only good. 

Brady or Manning or Breese, do you stick with a guy that can't get you further than round one or two in the playoffs in this era? "Winning is everything" means exactly what it says. No organization holds on to a former great that is now only good. 

Brady isn't "good", he's still very great.

As secretive as the pats are you really have to question this info. It strikes me as either writer nonsense or info they intentionally leaked.

I agree this likely wouldn't have got out. I remember hearing they were interested in Tebow...so Denver jumps up and takes him. Don't think it will work this time though...I just see NE having more needs than qb. They have a starter...they have a decent back up...they won't need a starter for another 3-4 years and even though he may go before their second rd pick...doesn't mean they wouldn't be interested in say getting him after his rookie contract or trading for him or trading back up. Just don't see them using rd 1 on him. There will be a difference maker there that they really need.

Oh please. One game is your basis? Did you miss when he absolutely torched the Broncos in the second half in the wind just a few weeks earlier? And while the AFCCG was not his best game, it was far from his worst with 63 percent completion and 2 TDs and no picks.

And by that standard, should I also assume Manning should hang them up now given his performance in the SB??

I'm a Brady fan, but he was pretty bad. Actually, beyond a couple excellent first rd performances, Brady has been below par the last several years in the playoffs.

I'm a Brady fan, but he was pretty bad. Actually, beyond a couple excellent first rd performances, Brady has been below par the last several years in the playoffs.

I don't disagree. He has been superb in the divisional round the last three years and not good in the AFCCG but the discussion was whether or not he is declining. I don't believe poor playoff performances are an indication that he is declining as I have yet to see a decline in his game. His arm is still as strong as ever and his decision-making is still his biggest strength. It is tough to win that last game to get to the Super Bowl but I suppose we expect him to given he has played in five Super Bowls but I am willing to give him more of a pass this past season given his whole receiving corp changed over. I guess we will see how 2014 looks but for sure there will still be a lot of new parts with LaFells and a new TE or two as well. I am hoping he and Amendola can connect more too as they had some chemistry during some games and others they seemed to not be on the same page. It is also good the Edelman is returning and I guess we will see how Gronk holds up.

A Luck/Savage SB down the road. I can already envision the t-shirt, poster, & promo commercial. Okay, my mistake. Rather the AFC Championship Game media blitz instead.

Imagine the media puns...Would you rather have a Savage team or a Lucky one? Which will prevail in the Championship? But of course that won't be for a few years hopefully :P

I don't disagree. He has been superb in the divisional round the last three years and not good in the AFCCG but the discussion was whether or not he is declining. I don't believe poor playoff performances are an indication that he is declining as I have yet to see a decline in his game. His arm is still as strong as ever and his decision-making is still his biggest strength. It is tough to win that last game to get to the Super Bowl but I suppose we expect him to given he has played in five Super Bowls but I am willing to give him more of a pass this past season given his whole receiving corp changed over. I guess we will see how 2014 looks but for sure there will still be a lot of new parts with LaFells and a new TE or two as well. I am hoping he and Amendola can connect more too as they had some chemistry during some games and others they seemed to not be on the same page. It is also good the Edelman is returning and I guess we will see how Gronk holds up.

Personally, I'd like to see NE dump Amendola with his injury problems & replace him with WR Austin Collie. JMO.

We differ on opinion. However, if Minnesota takes Bortles or Manzeil with their 1st pick, would I heckle them? No. Why? They need a QB, others may take them off the board before their second round pick. So, in a QB driven league, you may just have to {what we used to call reach} take you QB earlier than his grade would suggest and get on with your program. I get it, but I don't think any of these will set the world on fire right away. They all have holes and DC's will see it and take advantage.

And yes, the Minnesota choice means I don't think any team before them should take a QB. They should trade down some, gain an extra pick, and still get their QB.

Since you brought up the Vikings, it gives me the excuse to come off topic a bit. I don't want the Vikings to select a quarterback with the eighth pick. I would rather address our other needs, especially on defense and the offensive line.

If we are to draft a QB early, I would prefer Bridgewater.  I don't care that his Pro Day showing was underwhelming. How did he perform in games? I saw many of his games in college and I was always impressed. He showed poise, toughness, and leadership. Every time he was rushed and hit, he would make a big play and get right back up. He played in a pro-style offense. He was accurate with his throws even as he was getting hit.

I am not sure why Bridgewater's stock has plummeted. For my team's sake I hope he drops to number 40 so that we can take him in the second round. That probably won't happen.

ColtsBlueFL, I look forward to your posts. Please post more often!

Personally, I'd like to see NE dump Amendola with his injury problems & replace him with WR Austin Collie. JMO.

I am not sure why so many are down on Amendola. He only missed 4 games last year. Three with the groin which he tore on both sides and played with the entire season and one game from a concussion. Welker missed three games last year by comparison.

I think at times Amendola looked great, he had a couple of 10 catch games. He also was able to stretch the field from the slot. And he also only had a handful of games with Gronk on the field with him. Hopefully this year we get to see them all together for the season.

Collie has a much more extensive injury history then Amendola with his concussions so if you want to dump Amendola for injury then Collie is not the route to go.

I am not sure why so many are down on Amendola. He only missed 4 games last year. Three with the groin which he tore on both sides and played with the entire season and one game from a concussion. Welker missed three games last year by comparison.

I think at times Amendola looked great, he had a couple of 10 catch games. He also was able to stretch the field from the slot. And he also only had a handful of games with Gronk on the field with him. Hopefully this year we get to see them all together for the season.

Collie has a much more extensive injury history then Amendola with his concussions so if you want to dump Amendola for injury then Collie is not the route to go.

People are down on Amendola not because he's a bad guy,  but because it's a glaring example of Belicheck's raging ego.   He mishandled the Welker contract negotiations, and then signed a guy, who was more injury prone and not as talented to roughly similar money than they offered Welker.

You can say the two players were injured roughly the same amount of time.   The difference is for Amendola it was completely predictable based on his past.   Welker's was not.

When you act like you're smarter than everyone else, and a decision you make blows-up in your face,  then you can't be surprised when there's not much sympathy for Belichek.

People are down on Amendola not because he's a bad guy,  but because it's a glaring example of Belicheck's raging ego.   He mishandled the Welker contract negotiations, and then signed a guy, who was more injury prone and not as talented to roughly similar money than they offered Welker.

You can say the two players were injured roughly the same amount of time.   The difference is for Amendola it was completely predictable based on his past.   Welker's was not.

When you act like you're smarter than everyone else, and a decision you make blows-up in your face,  then you can't be surprised when there's not much sympathy for Belichek.

To be clear....

This last sentence is all about Belichek.     I was NOT trying to say anything negative about amFootball.    I think my writing was worded very poorly!     My bad!!

How has the signing blown up in Bill's face?  They signed Amendola to a five year contract not a one year deal. We have to see how the next four years play out to see if this in fact a bad deal. Welker was in a padded helmet by the end of last season and realistically probably only has a season or two left assuming his health holds up so moving on from Welker was the right decision for the long term. As for Amendola, I expect him to have a better year this season given it will be year two and he will be more familiar with the O and with Brady. Most forget that neither Hernandez or Gronk had great first seasons with the Pats but both exploded in year two.

I think you have to also remember that a guy like Welker who stayed that healthy over six years is in anomaly especially at the slot position. The Pats were never going to find a guy as durable but they needed to replace him. Amendola has a better skillset then Welker. We will see if he can have the production to go along with it the next four seasons.

How has the signing blown up in Bill's face?  They signed Amendola to a five year contract not a one year deal. We have to see how the next four years play out to see if this in fact a bad deal. Welker was in a padded helmet by the end of last season and realistically probably only has a season or two left assuming his health holds up so moving on from Welker was the right decision for the long term. As for Amendola, I expect him to have a better year this season given it will be year two and he will be more familiar with the O and with Brady. Most forget that neither Hernandez or Gronk had great first seasons with the Pats but both exploded in year two.

I think you have to also remember that a guy like Welker who stayed that healthy over six years is in anomaly especially at the slot position. The Pats were never going to find a guy as durable but they needed to replace him. Amendola has a better skillset then Welker. We will see if he can have the production to go along with it the next four seasons.

I didn't hear anything good about Amandola during the regular season.   In fact the only thing I heard were questions wondering if the Pats might release him after this past year or this coming year?     That's what I meant.....     I don't think most think Amandola will last the full 5-years of the deal....

As for Amendola having a better skill set....   I guess it depends on how you define skill set?