Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A Tip-Off that a Colt's Writer isn't really a Football Guy

ztboiler

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/4886/who-would-start-if-season-started-today

This may seem overly harsh, but Mike Well's projection of Art Jones as a starting NT tells me he just doesn't quite get it.  I have no argument with his other projections - they are straight forward enough, but Jones was not brought here to be a NT, and he has to know this to be credible in his craft.  Jones may play all over the line, including the middle, but that is not the same thing as starting at NT.  I guess I'm a little tired of the lack of insight available through those that write about the Colts, and am willing to quibble about a fine point to vent it.....

I saw the same thing and was going to respond in the comments section,  but when I went there, a number of other posters had already beaten me to it.

Jones will play the nose on 3rd down to get a push up the middle.    He's not projected as the starting NT?!?    No.

I don't even know if Jones will start with Redding on one side and RJF on the other.    But start or not, it wouldn't surprise me if he plays more total snaps than either CR or RJF.     And that's what matters.

I was not impressed by the Wells article....   he took a hit on that....

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/4886/who-would-start-if-season-started-today

This may seem overly harsh, but Mike Well's projection of Art Jones as a starting NT tells me he just doesn't quite get it.  I have no argument with his other projections - they are straight forward enough, but Jones was not brought here to be a NT, and he has to know this to be credible in his craft.  Jones may play all over the line, including the middle, but that is not the same thing as starting at NT.  I guess I'm a little tired of the lack of insight available through those that write about the Colts, and am willing to quibble about a fine point to vent it.....

You always have to keep in mind that Well's inserts his own view points and opinions. Sometimes without much thought process it seems.

Just like Bleacher Report, Stampede Blue, and our forum.....

You can tell who has remotely a clue and those who do not.....I wish I could list names/avatars.

We cannot exclude the Star Writers either.  Bob Kravitz only knows hockey.  Do not let anyone tell you any differently :)

You can tell who has remotely a clue and those who do not.....I wish I could list names/avatars.

We cannot exclude the Star Writers either. Bob Kravitz only knows hockey. Do not let anyone tell you any differently :)

In all honesty 99% of the writers here in Indy are terrible. No matter what subject they write about... The Star needs to fire everyone.

I saw the same thing and was going to respond in the comments section, but when I went there, a number of other posters had already beaten me to it.

Jones will play the nose on 3rd down to get a push up the middle. He's not projected as the starting NT?!? No.

I don't even know if Jones will start with Redding on one side and RJF on the other. But start or not, it wouldn't surprise me if he plays more total snaps than either CR or RJF. And that's what matters.

I was not impressed by the Wells article.... he took a hit on that....

He'll start over Francois lol

I saw the same thing and was going to respond in the comments section, but when I went there, a number of other posters had already beaten me to it.

Jones will play the nose on 3rd down to get a push up the middle. He's not projected as the starting NT?!? No.

I don't even know if Jones will start with Redding on one side and RJF on the other. But start or not, it wouldn't surprise me if he plays more total snaps than either CR or RJF. And that's what matters.

I was not impressed by the Wells article.... he took a hit on that....

He's just predicting the Colts will force alot of third downs.

I heard rumors he may play inside? Pagano would not say specifically where Jones will line up. Said they have a plan.

So, I think Wells is not completely inaccurate concerning Jones.

he will not be the starting NT. He may line up there on passing downs

In all honesty 99% of the writers here in Indy are terrible. No matter what subject they write about... The Star needs to fire everyone.

Wait, what?!?    What did I miss?!?

The IndyStar has Bob Kravitz, Mike Chappell, Stephen Holder and Phil Wilson.

And those guys need to be.....         fired?!?

Wow.     Tough crowd....

So, you live in Indiana....   I don't.    What's wrong with them?!?

We cannot exclude the Star Writers either.  Bob Kravitz only knows hockey.  Do not let anyone tell you any differently :)

Might I add this: You can also tell on here: Who is smart enough to know which members to listen to, who really knows football on here, & who always ask great questions. It's so obvious the people on this site who know what in the world they speak of like you, NCF, Dustin, Lollygager, Jay Kirk, Jvan, Chad72, Krunk, Jvan, Jules, Gavin, etc. etc. 

I can't believe this trivial article by Mike Wells serves as modern day journalism now. A starting line up lineup qualifies as in depth reporting now? Seriously?  Where's the analysis? Just pathetic & lazy.  It's not beat writing, it's not an editorial justifying your position, it's not even a comparison/contrast from last year's lineup to see where we have potentially improved. 

When Wells goes on local radio they still usually ask about the Pacers first, which is telling.

Does Mr. Wells cover all things Indiana sports related? Generally, I like my analysts to cover 1 genre only: Football like a PH.D. dissertation. I hate pundits that mix & match every city sport like a buffet. That drives me nuts. 

Yes, your Pacers comment regarding Wells says a lot BOTT & what it tells me is that he is no NFL scholar at all. Good to know. Thank you. 

Wait, what?!?    What did I miss?!?

The IndyStar has Bob Kravitz, Mike Chappell, Stephen Holder and Phil Wilson.

And those guys need to be.....         fired?!?

Wow.     Tough crowd....

So, you live in Indiana....   I don't.    What's wrong with them?!?

If you have any questions about what reporters to read religiously NCF in INDY ask BrentMc11. I trust his judgement completely. He lives there & is wicked smart in all things football related especially when it comes to special teams.  I hope that helps my friend. 

If you have any questions about what reporters to read religiously NCF in INDY ask BrentMc11. I trust his judgement completely. He lives there & is wicked smart in all things football related especially when it comes to special teams.  I hope that helps my friend. 

Thanks, SW1....

But, because everything is on the Internet, I can already read the IndyStar.    And I think those 4 writers that I mentioned are tops!

Really very good writers.   Kravitz and Chappell have reputations that reach beyond Indianapolis.   They're very good.

But another post here talked about all sports writers at the IndyStar should be fired and I wondered what the good folks of Indianapolis felt about that??    What are the objections?    What could these writers have done to stir up such animosity?

So.....   I was putting it out there for all posters here to respond to.....   what do they think about the IndyStar sports section and their writers??    I think they're very good.    What do others who read it all the time think??

Just askin...........

Thanks, SW1....

But, because everything is on the Internet, I can already read the IndyStar.    And I think those 4 writers that I mentioned are tops!

Really very good writers.   Kravitz and Chappell have reputations that reach beyond Indianapolis.   They're very good.

But another post here talked about all sports writers at the IndyStar should be fired and I wondered what the good folks of Indianapolis felt about that??    What are the objections?    What could these writers have done to stir up such animosity?

So.....   I was putting it out there for all posters here to respond to.....   what do they think about the IndyStar sports section and their writers??    I think they're very good.    What do others who read it all the time think??

Just askin...........

I would not fire any of them personally.  I only mention Kravitz's lack of knowledge in the sports realm that does not include hockey.  That does not mean he cannot write...he simply only is an expert at hockey.  He did a great job at the Olympics.

As IndyScribe says, Candace Buckner is very good on Pacers basketball.  She even has predicted exact scores of games.   :)  Her writing is excellent.

Chappell and Wilson are pretty much the 'insiders.'  They do not write near as much as they used to...very credible with info.  Holder is doing well.

I have zero problem with the Star Sports section.  I have traveled a lot in my job, and have never seen as many sports covered as the Star does.  From Auto Racing to High School sports.

Does Mr. Wells cover all things Indiana sports related? Generally, I like my analysts to cover 1 genre only: Football like a PH.D. dissertation. I hate pundits that mix & match every city sport like a buffet. That drives me nuts. 

Yes, your Pacers comment regarding Wells says a lot BOTT & what it tells me is that he is no NFL scholar at all. Good to know. Thank you. 

Wells did a decent job covering the Pacers at the Indy Star.  I have not been impressed with his move to ESPN.com.

I agree with others that his football knowledge is lacking, and his article are hastily written and do not usually provide anything we do not already know.... :scratch:  :dunno:

As has been pointed out, Wells was the beat man for the Pacers for years. When he got the job at ESPN covering the Colts the local radio guys had him on and laughed about it. He had not covered the NFL since working in Minneapolis covering the Vikings.

I just noticed I left an S off of article(s)

Ready to get my left eye repaired on Monday.  My editing has been p*** poor :)

Hang in there Brother! SW1 has to knock you up 1 of these days. That means call you on the phone BTW. I don't radiogirl to think I'm weird or anything. LOL! Well, I am odd just not that kind of odd if that makes any sense. 

Should I start leaving S's off my words to make you feel better man? Okay, ee you w1 [2 S's removed.] Does that help? Just Kidding Brent! 

As has been pointed out, Wells was the beat man for the Pacers for years. When he got the job at ESPN covering the Colts the local radio guys had him on and laughed about it. He had not covered the NFL since working in Minneapolis covering the Vikings.

this says a lot about ESPN, too