Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Clowney dominates at pro day.

yeah not real scared of a pass rusher who had what 3 sacks last season.  

Please draft him Houston.  

Clowney has 24 sacks in his entire college career.  

Bjoern Werner has 23.5 sacks in his college career.  

The difference is Werner's sack totals increased each year.  Clowney heard he was a future #1 pick after he hit the RB from Michigan and then decided to stop trying.

Also Werner's season high sack total matches Clowney's season high sack total.  Except of course as I pointed out Werner's came in his final season at Florida State while Clowney's came in his 2nd season at South Carolina.

Please draft him Houston so Costanzo or Cherilus can pancake block him every other snap.  Waste your #1 overall on this Clown.  

"Clowney is the most talented player in last years, this years and next years drafts" -Mike Mayock.

So, you want to ignore Mike Mayock's positional ranking of Manziel as the highest rated QB but quote this??? Just messing with ya :).

I hear what you are saying but without a QB, Houston will stink up the joint losing close games. They may move up to the middle of the first round at best without an efficient QB.

So, you want to ignore Mike Mayock's positional ranking of Manziel as the highest rated QB but quote this??? Just messing with ya :).

Ha no I respect Mayock's opinion more than anyone out there. I have to disagree with him there tho lol

I hear what you are saying but without a QB, Houston will stink up the joint losing close games. They may move up to the middle of the first round at best without an efficient QB.

Yeah I agree. It'd be hard to pass up on Clowney, but they definitely need a QB.

Clowney heard he was a future #1 pick after he hit the RB from Michigan and then decided to stop trying.

You know how you find out if somebody doesn't watch college football?

Clowney was being called the #1 pick in whatever draft he entered since high school. Not because of this hit. 

You know how you find out if somebody doesn't watch college football?

Clowney was being called the #1 pick in whatever draft he entered since high school. Not because of this hit. 

Ok so maybe he was.  Regardless I see a lot of hype but nothing super impressive to make him the best defensive prospect ever or even in the last decade.  

And I don't think I've ever seen a highlight of him outside of the hit on the Michigan RB.

Ndamokung Suh was more dominant than Clowney in college, IMO and the rules protecting QBs and matchups with bigger and better OLs than in college has reduced the dominance factor, IMO, that is the harsh reality DL players from college face.

But Clowney would be going into a better situation with the Texans than Suh did with a better DL supporting cast, IMO and he could potentially be like Dwight Freeney was in his rookie year even if it takes him about half a year to hit his stride.

I Hope that Houston drafts a QB \with their first pick, Clowney with JJ   Scarrrriiieeeeeeeeee...  

If They do get him what do we do with our first pick ?? OL?? who?? T?? G?? /

I truly believe that the FO will pay close attention to what they do and it will effect our first pick   

How exactly do you dominate a pro day? Did he really put those tackling dummies to shame? Did he really blow away the grass under his feet? I don't know, they set these things up to make the player look good so I put no stock at all in pro days. Still believe Clowney is ridiculously over hyped. If I see him dominate against real NFL lineman then I'll be a believer, but until that happens, I'm not gonna change my mind about him now.

How exactly do you dominate a pro day? Did he really put those tackling dummies to shame? Did he really blow away the grass under his feet? I don't know, they set these things up to make the player look good so I put no stock at all in pro days. Still believe Clowney is ridiculously over hyped. If I see him dominate against real NFL lineman then I'll be a believer, but until that happens, I'm not gonna change my mind about him now.

The same way you dominante anything else. By putting up great numbers/measurments and perform great in the drills asked of you.

The same way you dominante anything else. By putting up great numbers/measurments and perform great in the drills asked of you.

I still question his heart/mentality. He didn't look very "dominating" last year. I saw a guy who blew his load a year prior and decided to coast this past year. That's a major red flag to me. A guy looking to get paid and that's it. He's a clone of Derrick Harvey.

Physical attributes is only half of the battle

16 a year before and led the nation in TFL. 

The thing I'm skeptical about with Clowney is his desire, his work ethic and his intelligence. His physical measurables aren't in doubt. I just get the feeling that he's never going to live up to his billing because of the things I just mentioned. I would imagine that any NFL team that is in serious contention of drafting him would be questioning all of his past coaches and some of his past teammates to try to determine if his desire and work ethic are truly in doubt.

I saw a snippet of Mike Mayock interviewing him at his pro day and cringed when Mayock asked him about comparison's to LT. Now, LT's personal life is appalling and a train wreck, but his abilities on the field have been rivaled by few. Anyone that doesn't recognize that LT changed the game just isn't being honest. So, when I hear Clowney's name being mentioned with LT's it really makes me even more skeptical that he'll live up to the hype.

The thing I'm skeptical about with Clowney is his desire, his work ethic and his intelligence. His physical measurables aren't in doubt. I just get the feeling that he's never going to live up to his billing because of the things I just mentioned. I would imagine that any NFL team that is in serious contention of drafting him would be questioning all of his past coaches and some of his past teammates to try to determine if his desire and work ethic are truly in doubt.

I saw a snippet of Mike Mayock interviewing him at his pro day and cringed when Mayock asked him about comparison's to LT. Now, LT's personal life is appalling and a train wreck, but his abilities on the field have been rivaled by few. Anyone that doesn't recognize that LT changed the game just isn't being honest. So, when I hear Clowney's name being mentioned with LT's it really makes me even more skeptical that he'll live up to the hype.

Lawrence Taylor played in a different era too, that has to be factored in. Teams that have normally had the quickest turnarounds, they have mostly happened because their QB play got better and did not put their Ds in a bad spot, at least in the current style of league right now.

I think the most important thing Clowney showed is the athleticism to play OLB in a 3-4 defense.

He simply is NOT a DE in a 3-4.    He's 30 pounds too light for that.

So, if Houston wants him he has to be able to play OLB.    And he apparently showed that.

I don't know if Houston takes him,  but he's now legitimately on the short list and in the conversation.

I still question his heart/mentality. He didn't look very "dominating" last year. I saw a guy who blew his load a year prior and decided to coast this past year. That's a major red flag to me. A guy looking to get paid and that's it. He's a clone of Derrick Harvey.

Physical attributes is only half of the battle

I don't know him personally enough to comment on his "desire" and/or "work-ethic".

"Clowney is the most talented player in last years, this years and next years drafts" -Mike Mayock.

Tedy Bruschi apparently loves Clowney too. I usually agree with both Mike & Tedy, but not this time. Yes, it is almost impossible to assess work ethic from a distance I realize that, but looking great at your Pro day means nothing to me. It proves nothing. 

I wouldn't take him. If SW1 is wrong, I will eat crow like always. When I screw up, I own it. 

You don't have to. If you watched him last year, you can see "those attributes" are lacking.

I did watch him. Every snap he played. I didn't see anything that made me. I saw a very talented kid being schemed heavily against and just generally having a down year. It happens to top prospects every year. Some are projected high and then have a bad year the following season (Robert Woods, Marqise Lee, ect...)

I still take Khalil Mack number 1. Clowney is a top 5 talent no doubt to me..maybe even top 3 with Watkins. If Houston likes him they should take him. None of the qbs in this draft are worthy of a top 10 much less top pick. They would be better off taking someone with the top pick in rd 2 or trading back into the late 1st. Personally I don't worry so much about a QUICK turnaround...how about developing the best team you can. We were SO LUCKY!!! It isn't often the best player in the draft is also a the most important player in the draft (QB). That obviously helped our turnaround...but Houston doesn't have that luxury. Manziel or Bridgewater or Bortles may get them a couple more wins (as does Clowney or anyone else imo)...but long term those qbs aren't going to be franchise worthy imo....Clowney and Mack ARE franchise worthy at their positions. I would much rather take a franchise pro bowl OLB than a mediocre at best QB.

I would take Mack but Clowney is a close second...then I get Mecklenberg out of LSU in the second and start Fitzpatrick. To me that is the best chance to get better. I don't see any of those day 1 qbs being any better than Meck and in fact I think he will surprise. Its like when Cincy took Green in rd 1...and Dalton in rd 2. Dalton may not be elite but he is certainly good enough to make a playoff team out of them and his measurables aren't special at all when he came out. In the end he may still get better and get them to the SB. I go for the sure thing (or as close as you can)..and to me that is Mack...but if they feel Clowney is sure too then take him. No way I can ever imagine anyone saying any of these qbs are a sure thing...so I take one later or trade a day 2 pick for someone I like on another team (Mallett, Cousins, etc).

:lol: ......when he got done with those traffic cones they were red in the face.

Texans should totally draft a QB, not this Clowney.

I always like your humor CL. Thanks for making SW1 laugh.  :thmup:

No, I am not doubting Clowney's athleticism. I just liked your sarcasm that's all. The strange is that I knew Chris Long was gonna be a STUD DE in this league the minute he was drafted. But, Mr. Clowney...Let's just say, I'm not feeling the same sense of euphoria. Clowney was a man among boys in college. He won't shed blocks so easily in the NFL to me.