Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Redskins to Sign Desean Jackson

Andy

BAM! Big news coming from Washington DC.

And in a short time, expected to be official: DeSean Jackson will be a Redskin. Finishing touches now being put on deal.

Filed to ESPN: Redskins and former Eagles WR DeSean Jackson are expected to reach agreement Tuesy night on multi-year contract, per sources.

Per sources close to DeSean Jackson and the Redskins...they have agreed to terms. #Redskins

Now looks like a three-year agreement between the Washington Redskins and WR DeSean Jackson.

It's April 2nd, so no tricks here.

Redskins have one of the best receiver cores in the league with Garcon, DJAX, Roberts and Morgan, and even Reed at TE.

Thoughts?

If the 49ers had interest why the hell would he go to the redskins screw that

Two reasons.

First,  money.    Washington offering a lot more than SF.     The 49ers were interested but DeSean would have had to leave money on the table.

Second,  payback.    By playing with Washington,  he gets two shots at Philly every year.   There's an old saying....................

Revenge is a dish best served cold!

Retired players on both the NFL Network and ESPN both made the similar points......

Where is the veteran leadership on the Redskins to keep DeSean from getting out of control in the locker-room?!?

That's not a strong locker room he's going to.    Not a strong culture of leadership.   He'll be very hard to reign in. 

Good luck to 1st time head coach Jay Gruden!      Be careful what you wish for.....  you might just get it!!

Retired players on both the NFL Network and ESPN both made the similar points......

Where is the veteran leadership on the Redskins to keep DeSean from getting out of control in the locker-room?!?

That's not a strong locker room he's going to.    Not a strong culture of leadership.   He'll be very hard to reign in. 

Good luck to 1st time head coach Jay Gruden!      Be careful what you wish for.....  you might just get it!!

Gotta bank on Pierre, DeAngelo Hall, and Ryan Clark being good influences on DJax.  Not really an ideal coalition of guys for the job but it could work out in its own way.

Gotta bank on Pierre, DeAngelo Hall, and Ryan Clark being good influences on DJax.  Not really an ideal coalition of guys for the job but it could work out in its own way.

DeAngelo Hall... good influence? Not in a million years. He'll probably provoke him in practices.

Two reasons.

First, money. Washington offering a lot more than SF. The 49ers were interested but DeSean would have had to leave money on the table.

Second, payback. By playing with Washington, he gets two shots at Philly every year. There's an old saying....................

Revenge is a dish best served cold!

Just something I've never understood players would rather go to a bottom feeder then a SB contender all cause of greed

Just something I've never understood players would rather go to a bottom feeder then a SB contender all cause of greed

To us it seems like lunacy but, to them... those extra millions matter for the way they live(not saying all NFL players live large but, beyond my means for sure). If my boss came up to me and said "MrNLM, you can have a raise in pay or you can have that corner office everybody has been wanting for so long... make your decision." I am gonna take the money! I can still do my job well without the extra notoriety and status a corner office might afford me. 

Listen, I get it, being on a Super Bowl winning team is a gift(that you get to share with over 60 people) but, all that money they are offering... its for ME... not the TEAM. Also, that money does come with something like a guarantee and a Super Bowl berth has ZERO guarantees. 

That is just my two cents on the topic.

To us it seems like lunacy but, to them... those extra millions matter for the way they live(not saying all NFL players live large but, beyond my means for sure). If my boss came up to me and said "MrNLM, you can have a raise in pay or you can have that corner office everybody has been wanting for so long... make your decision." I am gonna take the money! I can still do my job well without the extra notoriety and status a corner office might afford me.

Listen, I get it, being on a Super Bowl winning team is a gift(that you get to share with over 60 people) but, all that money they are offering... its for ME... not the TEAM. Also, that money does come with something like a guarantee and a Super Bowl berth has ZERO guarantees.

That is just my two cents on the topic.

In an everyday job I'd take the money too that's a different situation. When your job is football you wanna try and leave a great legacy if I get a few less million to play with better players and better coaches is take it 10 times out of 10 that's just me. I damn sure don't wanna be that super rich guy on the sucky team that can't even make the playoffs. Much rather be the rich guy on the great team

In an everyday job I'd take the money too that's a different situation. When your job is football you wanna try and leave a great legacy if I get a few less million to play with better players and better coaches is take it 10 times out of 10 that's just me. I damn sure don't wanna be that super rich guy on the sucky team that can't even make the playoffs. Much rather be the rich guy on the great team

The way I actually am would agree with you but, those that are in the NFL could go either way. Its much more likely that they are on a less than desirable team but making good money. The opportunity may come up for them to change that but, some view it as a business and money talks. Especially considering they could play so well and for so long that they virtually kick themselves out the door when teams won't pay what their production should be worth.

There are so many scenarios. That is evident when players retire and are declaring bankruptcy within a decade. Some people want the money... some people need the money. 

The McGynn deal is more likely to blow up like a present from Jokey Smurf. I hope Robert Griffin III has a chance to get these guys the ball.

It really doesn't matter how good or bad our offensive line is.  Griffin will take punishment regardless if he doesn't learn to speed up his progressions and make quick throws.

DeAngelo Hall... good influence? Not in a million years. He'll probably provoke him in practices.

I wouldn't be so quick to peg Hall like that.  He's a weird dude.  Very big on the trash talk, very feisty, but he's got a surprisingly good work ethic that's kept him a starter for over a decade.  He might not be the best role model but he means well and tries to be a positive presence in the locker room.  Besides, I like having at least one hot-headed, energetic, enforcer type on each side of the ball (e.g., Trent Williams).  They serve their purpose.

Honestly, the best case scenario for DeSean might be to become a little bit like Hall.  You can only reign some guys in so much.  I'd obviously rather him pattern after Garcon and take heed to Clark of the veteran guys I mentioned, though.

The reason he went to DC as his first stop was because we were the "best" of the bottom feeders.  Contenders don't tend to shell out big bucks on guys like this, they use the fact that they don't need talent to be competitive to their advantage to try to get a bargain.  Otherwise they're usually better off saving the cap space for guys that are proven pieces in their system.

Gotta keep in mind, these guys only have a limited window to cash in on their talent and they are very much using up their body to do so.  You can't completely forgo earnings for a chance at Super Bowls, as nice as that idea may sound to us fans.

The way I actually am would agree with you but, those that are in the NFL could go either way. Its much more likely that they are on a less than desirable team but making good money. The opportunity may come up for them to change that but, some view it as a business and money talks. Especially considering they could play so well and for so long that they virtually kick themselves out the door when teams won't pay what their production should be worth.

There are so many scenarios. That is evident when players retire and are declaring bankruptcy within a decade. Some people want the money... some people need the money.

Just most NFL players are greedy lol

The reason he went to DC as his first stop was because we were the "best" of the bottom feeders. Contenders don't tend to shell out big bucks on guys like this, they use the fact that they don't need talent to be competitive to their advantage to try to get a bargain. Otherwise they're usually better off saving the cap space for guys that are proven pieces in their system.

Gotta keep in mind, these guys only have a limited window to cash in on their talent and they are very much using up their body to do so. You can't completely forgo earnings for a chance at Super Bowls, as nice as that idea may sound to us fans.

My point is players are greedy he's already made a ton with Philly and he could have went to SF for less money sure. It's not like they are paying him 100$ a year it's a few mil less then what the Skins would give him. I'm not sure the Skins were the best of the bottom feeders either seen the browns had interest they are better IMO

My point is players are greedy he's already made a ton with Philly and he could have went to SF for less money sure. It's not like they are paying him 100$ a year it's a few mil less then what the Skins would give him. I'm not sure the Skins were the best of the bottom feeders either seen the browns had interest they are better IMO

In what universe is "a few mil less" not a big deal?  For anyone who isn't a billionaire that's a huge sum of money and fairly hefty chunk of the lifetime earnings potential of an NFL player.

In what universe is "a few mil less" not a big deal? For anyone who isn't a billionaire that's a huge sum of money and fairly hefty chunk of the lifetime earnings potential of an NFL player.

For someone who is already a millionaire no it shouldn't be that much a difference when you can leave a better legacy and possibly win a SB on a better team not to mention he has already made a pretty damn big chunk in Philly

For someone who is already a millionaire no it shouldn't be that much a difference when you can leave a better legacy and possibly win a SB on a better team not to mention he has already made a pretty damn big chunk in Philly

Not everyone plays the game for championships. And he could have a pretty good legacy in DC as well.

I don't know how it will turn out. I do know this - RG3 vs Luck just got more interesting at Lucas Oil Stadium. Toler better be prepared for Garcon or DJax to toast him.

With all the running that is done by Morris (and RG3), that is the perfect offense that DJax can go to in terms of play action, outside the Eagles' offense. Young QB with a good arm and a chance to stick it to the Eagles twice a year.

I can see why DJax went there.

Not everyone plays the game for championships. And he could have a pretty good legacy in DC as well.

I can, in fact, imagine several reasons beyond championships to choose a basement dweller and $$$ over a run at championships. Here are the top two IMO:

1. Reputation. Players want to be known as the kind of player who can command THAT kind of contract.

2. Difference Maker. If a guy thinks he can go to a crap team, and be the guy to single handedly turn then into a winner... it strokes the ego, no?

I can, in fact, imagine several reasons beyond championships to choose a basement dweller and $$$ over a run at championships. Here are the top two IMO:

1. Reputation. Players want to be known as the kind of player who can command THAT kind of contract.

2. Difference Maker. If a guy thinks he can go to a crap team, and be the guy to single handedly turn then into a winner... it strokes the ego, no?

Yes and in addition to those I would add that junk teams don't stay that way for long in today's cap/FA league. A basement dweller can into a super bowl champion in a couple of seasons.

It's called greed most players in the NFL are greedy and hard to be great when the teams best QB can't even stay healthy

I think players try to cash in for what they can when then can given NFL careers are so short. Jackson didn't asked to be released so he became a FA through no fault of his own and deserves to get every penny that the market offers him. RG was healthy last year and did not miss a game due to injury.

I think players try to cash in for what they can when then can given NFL careers are so short. Jackson didn't asked to be released so he became a FA through no fault of his own and deserves to get every penny that the market offers him. RG was healthy last year and did not miss a game due to injury.

He was a.pain in chips behind and he sent him packing. He was crying about wanting to redo his contract in January. Well, it got redone. He is now making less than he would have

He was a.pain in chips behind and he sent him packing. He was crying about wanting to redo his contract in January. Well, it got redone. He is now making less than he would have

I don't know. Hard to get the full story from Kelly. He was pretty vague. Hinted around at gang associations, poor locker room presence, etc. And while Jackson will make less this year, he will be a FA again at age 30 and will probably cash in again. I think in the short and long term this move will hurt Philly more. He was their best WR and they won't replace his production with Macklin and Cooper.

I don't know. Hard to get the full story from Kelly. He was pretty vague. Hinted around at gang associations, poor locker room presence, etc. And while Jackson will make less this year, he will be a FA again at age 30 and will probably cash in again. I think in the short and long term this move will hurt Philly more. He was their best WR and they won't replace his production with Macklin and Cooper.

he would have been a free agent in Philly to at the same age.

he would have been a free agent in Philly to at the same age.

Right but he did not ask for release either. So my point was that he has every right to get what the market was offering. Who knows what his convos were with Kelly but suffice to say he is still going to make great money the rest of his career. Not sure if Philly will have the same fortune in terms of replacing his production. I still don't think Kelly's offense is sustainable long term but I do like Foles so we will see how it goes.

Don't remember who it was who called me a liar a while back when I said that because he wasn't a good route-runner, that he was only asked to run a few routes, but he's Jackson's 2013 route distribution:

jackson3routesslotoutside.png

Pretty one-dimensional. 

Don't remember who it was who called me a liar a while back when I said that because he wasn't a good route-runner, that he was only asked to run a few routes, but he's Jackson's 2013 route distribution:

jackson3routesslotoutside.png

Pretty one-dimensional. 

Maybe being lit up by Dunta Jackson a while ago got him to back off those crossing routes a bit, LOL

However, the last 2 years with Maclin going on IR both years, the Eagles probably didn't want DJax lit up across the middle of the field either, so that is understandable, IMO.

Chip Kelly's biggest issue in 2013 was Vick vs Foles and DJax produced with both even with a smaller set of routes, IMO, so need to give him some credit.