Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigs Expects Lance Louis to Compete for Starting Job

Bluefire4

Not saying Gavin is right or wrong, but because he's not the GM is hardly a reason to dismiss his opinion. Grigson has missed just as much as he has hit since being the GM, so his evaluations are not infallible at all. I'd say he's been more miss than hit so far, regarding the offensive line. Gavin has a fair point about Grigson saying similar things about McGlynn and Satele. I definitely take his endorsements of oline players with a grain of salt right now

Gavin's 16,000 plus posts are reason to dismiss his opinion.

As for the o'line - for the love of God can we simply say that the info on Grigson's hits or misses is incomplete at best right now.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have to foggiest idea if Louis will be the answer and neither do you. I know that he will be among those in the competition. That is not the point however. You just said you know player personnel better than an NFL GM which is laugh out loud funny.

I have an opinion based on what I have seen from Louis, If you dont like it....well thats your problem not mine, I think your efforts would be better placed in hoping Im wrong...I hope I am

As for the o'line - for the love of God can we simply say that the info on Grigson's hits or misses is incomplete at best right now.

"Gavin's 16,000 plus posts are reason to dismiss his opinion."

Think before you post, Shall we dismiss others opinions based on high post counts?

The Louis signing is simply a more positives than negatives type of signing.  The pros outweigh the cons.  It's funny people will slam Grigson for trying every which way to improve this team.  Everyone acts like Grigson is just scouring  "trash heaps" as someone put it.  But there is an old saying.  One man's junk is another man's treasure.  Think of Jerrell Freeman.  I would rather have my GM on the grind trying to find talent anywhere possible than just using FA and overpaying.  Take a flyer on a guy who could be that missing cog that makes our line perfect for our scheme.  Why not?  you miss 100% on the chances you don't take.

I swear its almost like some people would rather have an owner like Snyder. . . . . all I can say is Albert Haynesworth anyone?

I don't have to foggiest idea if Louis will be the answer and neither do you. I know that he will be among those in the competition. That is not the point however. You just said you know player personnel better than an NFL GM which is laugh out loud funny.

YouTube man, its where you can truly discern talent

We shouldn't all agree until we actually see them play. Sure, I would love to have Mack, and I'm all for going all in for the best Oline we can get. But aside from Mack, are we really sure the FAs available are that much better than what we have? No one can say yet.

One thing we should all agree on is that the Colts have a very wise capologist. Some big decisions have to be made to keep guys in the next couple years.

I agree with you entirely because of cap space issues in the next few years this team is going to be much, much worse.

Can we all just agree that the O-line is only negligibly if any better at all and we are all getting tired of Grigson's refusal to seriously address it. The Colts have so much cap space this year they could have gotten someone that would have been a major contributor but instead we seem to just be sitting on that extra money doing nothing and once again being the third best team in the AFC in large part because of this O-line.

We beat Denver so we're ahead of them

For those of you who think there is no risk or down side, think about this. We can agree that Louis is better than Hugh, so the chances of Louis starting over Hugh is good.

Now for the kick in the butt. Louis has problems with his knee in the first game and allows, say JJ Watt, to sack Luck and Luck gets hurt and ends up on IR. Was this a good move by Grigson? Are you going to call for Grigson's head?

The move to get Louis is only good, if he stays healthy and performs up to what he was before the injury. This is what I have against Toler and Nicks.

Getting prior hurt FAs is only good if they came perform, otherwise, they hurt your team by taking snaps from your own players.

If Andrew Luck throws 7 picks again this post season, should we trade for RG3?

If this entire forum puts you on their ignore list, should we blame the mods for even allowing you to create an account?

:D

*Shrugs* That's how I see it, beat a team then you're better than them

We're 1-0 against Peyton's Broncos. So until they beat us, we're better than them

so we are the Superbowl champions? Sweet

but we are behind Miami Cincinnati and San Diego, so that sucks

This makes very little sense. You could make the same argument for not playing Thomas.

Obviously you're not going to play a guy who's hurt.  Every player in the NFL has had some type of injury and every one can be injured on any play.  A GM takes a chance by signing any player in the NFL.  Yes, prior injury history can increase the odds that they may not make it through the season.  You temper that by not paying them huge salaries or long contracts, like they did with Nicks.

No, Thomas started some games in 2012 for both the Pats guards.  Different.

I understand what you are saying.  That would be all well and good if the said players did not have a history of injuries.  I understand about not over paying for the player.  I guess, to me, more than vet min is over paying for Nicks, Louis and Costa.

Now that you have stated your Opinion, what is your answers to the questions.  I have asked the hard questions before and no one wants to answer them.

No, Thomas started some games in 2012 for both the Pats guards. Different.

I understand what you are saying. That would be all well and good if the said players did not have a history of injuries. I understand about not over paying for the player. I guess, to me, more than vet min is over paying for Nicks, Louis and Costa.

Now that you have stated your Opinion, what is your answers to the questions. I have asked the hard questions before and no one wants to answer them.

i don't think anyone understands the questions you are asking.

If Andrew Luck throws 7 picks again this post season, should we trade for RG3?

If this entire forum puts you on their ignore list, should we blame the mods for even allowing you to create an account?

:D

Not what this is about.  This about getting 2/3 level O-lineman to fix a problem that has be evident since 2012.

Why should I be banned.  For not being a cheerleader or for asking questions that no one wants to think about.  I asked last year what would happen if Reggie went down.  I got all sorts of thing sent my way.  Once it happened, then things changed.  I was told in another thread that I do not see the big picture.  I think that I see the big picture very well and think what will happen in the future with the what/ifs.

i don't think anyone understands the questions you are asking.

I asked, will every one will think Louis was a good pick-up if he causes Luck to get hurt.

The second was, will people start calling for Grigson's head if that happens.

I am not saying that Louis will have a set back, though that is possible and could be bad.

I asked, will every one will think Louis was a good pick-up if he causes Luck to get hurt.

I am not saying that Louis will have a set back, though that is possible and could be bad.

Any and all players can get injured at anytime. So the question is moot. The fact that grigson expects Louis to compete for a job is nothing earth shattering. I would hope everyone on the roster is competing for a starting job

Fans will be fans.

And our fans will go crazy if Luck gets hurt.    Even if Luck trips over his own feet and hurts himself.   The fans will look for someone else to blame.  

So, yeah, if Luck gets hurt and is was Louis' man who inflicted the injury, fans will get on Louis,  whether that's fair or not.

I think it's fair to say he's more miss than hit so far. McGlynn, Satele and Justice (starters from 2 seasons ago) all were thought to have starter potential in the eyes of Grigson, and all are off the roster currently. Shipley? Gone. Lower level projects like Justin Anderson couldn't even get on the field. The jury is still out on Holmes, Thomas and Thornton, but so far, the early returns have been minimal. Cherilus has been his only immediate impact signing that has worked thus far. All of the players named, Grigson has talked up at one point, and at least half of them are no longer on the roster.

Grigson wants to be cute with his acquisitions, and that's his main problem, in my opinion. Pay pennies for certain positions but then splurge draft picks on skill players when their previous organization had all but given up on them. Now, every GM looks for bargains, but the smart ones know when to pay up for talent as well. Grigson wants to outsmart the league but he's ultimately outsmarting himself the longer he puts off seriously addressing the line. We shall see though. I hope he really has outsmarted the league this time. So far, he's losing in that regard when it comes to the oline

Any and all players can get injured at anytime. So the question is moot. The fact that grigson expects Louis to compete for a job is nothing earth shattering. I would hope everyone on the roster is competing for a starting job

I think we should agree to disagree.  I will not be able to convince you and you will not be able to convince me.

For those of you who think there is no risk or down side, think about this.  We can agree that Louis is better than Hugh, so the chances of Louis starting over Hugh is good. 

Now for the kick in the butt.  Louis has problems with his knee in the first game and allows, say JJ Watt, to sack Luck and Luck gets hurt and ends up on IR.  Was this a good move by Grigson?  Are you going to call for Grigson's head?

This is ridiculous. You only consider injury history when signing players. Once they are on the team you play them based on performance not their injury history from previous seasons. The coaches have enough to worry about. I think Thornton missed a game last year, so maybe that injury pops up in a game and Luck gets hurt from that sack. You could say the same for any lineman we have.

Lets say we signed Mack, Bradshaw runs right into his knee on a play and Mack goes on IR. Was Bradshaw a bad signing now because of that 1 play? Or was it Mack the bad signing? You could go on and on.

Fans will be fans.

And our fans will go crazy if Luck gets hurt.    Even if Luck trips over his own feet and hurts himself.   The fans will look for someone else to blame.  

So, yeah, if Luck gets hurt and is was Louis' man who inflicted the injury, fans will get on Louis,  whether that's fair or not.

I agree.  I also think if that happens, the most of the fans will call for Grigson to be fired.  I do not think that will be fair, though some of his decisions have been questioned by me.

No, Thomas started some games in 2012 for both the Pats guards.  Different.

I understand what you are saying.  That would be all well and good if the said players did not have a history of injuries.  I understand about not over paying for the player.  I guess, to me, more than vet min is over paying for Nicks, Louis and Costa.

Now that you have stated your Opinion, what is your answers to the questions.  I have asked the hard questions before and no one wants to answer them.

I'm confused, how is Thomas different? He was also previously injured and went on IR before Grigs got him, right? In your scenario, Louis is better than Thorton to win the starting job. If that we're so, I don't think anyone would complain about him anymore than any other player who was injured during a play. Even if their injury caused the QB to get injured. That's the NFL.

Again, I'm all for selling out on the Oline. But I understand the economics. I really don't understand your position. Maybe it's me.

I'm confused, how is Thomas different? He was also previously injured and went on IR before Grigs got him, right? In your scenario, Louis is better than Thorton to win the starting job. If that we're so, I don't think anyone would complain about him anymore than any other player who was injured during a play. Even if their injury caused the QB to get injured. That's the NFL.

Again, I'm all for selling out on the Oline. But I understand the economics. I really don't understand your position. Maybe it's me.

I'm also having a hard time, so its not just you

This is ridiculous. You only consider injury history when signing players. Once they are on the team you play them based on performance not their injury history from previous seasons. The coaches have enough to worry about. I think Thornton missed a game last year, so maybe that injury pops up in a game and Luck gets hurt from that sack. You could say the same for any lineman we have.

Lets say we signed Mack, Bradshaw runs right into his knee on a play and Mack goes on IR. Was Bradshaw a bad signing now because of that 1 play? Or was it Mack the bad signing? You could go on and on.

If you are looking to acquire a starter, then you should like at everything.

Think about this.  If Toler would have given us a full season, who knows how much further we could have gone.  This is why you look at the player's injury history.

Think about this. If Toler would have given us a full season, who knows how much further we could have gone. This is why you look at the player's injury history.

History doesn't always predict the future

Didn't he play in 2012.  Played both Guard positions before he went down, I believe and that would make it difference. 

As far as the rest of what you said, I respect your opinion.

Two words, Toler and Bradshaw.  Do not say it wasn't Bradshaw's feet.  Bradshaw was still hurt and that affected the team.

Yeah, I think we can all agree Toler was overpaid, but Bradshaw was a decent bet. However Toler may have a great year and be worth the contract, or he may be injured again and it proves your point. It could be a good example of when taking a chance doesn't pay off.

I don't think Louis fits in that category, he's low risk. Worst case, he gets cut, best case he's decent depth for cheap.

Back to your point though, I doubt management would knowingly play a guy who could potentially cost the team the franchise. As bad as Satele and McGlynn played, they were never dangerous. Remember Seth Olsen? Now if he were starting I'd think we had a conspiracy to get the #1 pick again.

Think about this.  If Toler would have given us a full season, who knows how much further we could have gone.  This is why you look at the player's injury history.

So, you think on top of everything else a coach has to deal with, you think they also consider a player's previous years injury history when deciding if he plays in the current season?