Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eagles release Desean Jackson

Colts_Fan12

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Words cannot describe my respect for the Eagles organization. Many players think they are bigger than the team or can get away with any behaviour because they are a "star". Guess what....think again. I hope this sets a presidence for other teams to step up and do the right thing as well when players step over the line. Too many teams still overlook or try to sweep stuff under the carpet in the name of winning. It's time for Owners, General Managers, and Coaches to send a message. It is a priviledge not a right to play professional football.

I don't know man. I'm waiting for more proof than some deuces sign in a photo that see from people all over Facebook

Until some real evidence comes out, I'll remain skeptical. I don't know. I don't want the guy, but this whole gang affiliation smells like serious nonsense to me.

Like the story almost has an insidious quality to it, spun/planted by the Eagles to ease things with the fans.

Something feels rotten here and not a tad culturally discriminatory - and I'm not talking gang culture.

I don't know man. I'm waiting for more proof than some deuces sign in a photo that see from people all over Facebook

Until some real evidence comes out, I'll remain skeptical. I don't know. I don't want the guy, but this whole gang affiliation smells like serious nonsense to me.

Like the story almost has an insidious quality to it, spun/planted by the Eagles to ease things with the fans.

Something feels rotten here and not a tad culturally discriminatory - and I'm not talking gang culture.

No team would just release a player of Jackson's caliber without trying to work a trade. It would seem whatever his associations are they span more than just the Eagles as no team was willing to trade for him.

But justified.  Don't confuse race with culture.  Its a culture that needs no respect or protection.  Hypothetically, if the NFL released everybody who flashed gang signs, those players may all be black.  Too bad.

The fact that you would never see a white player being photographed doing that does not make it a racial problem for the NFL.  It's a problem for the people like Jackson who think its cool at best, or the sign of a serious affiliation at worst. 

And Al Capone led one of the biggest inner city gangs back in the day, so its not a racial thing anyway.

Dumb dumb dumb...dumb.

They just released their best play maker all because the coach didn't like him and the excuse of "he didn't want to fit into the system" and since he's black, the media throws this "gang ties" story out there as if people don't already hate him enough and have enough excuses to say they don't like him. He crip walked after a touchdown, big deal. We might as well start accusing all players of having gang ties that listen to rap music and have tattoos (oh wait, they already did that with Colin Kaepernick, nevermind). ESPN's genius analysts sound even worse than the fans bashing him, which shouldn't surprise anyone seeing as that network would still argue beyond a reason of doubt that Tebow is some how a worthy player.

At least Derrick Ward is telling it like it is.

Let him hook up with the Jets where Vick is. The Eagles are going to regret this one, which won't surprise me. They lucked into 10 wins last year, won't happen again this year with that pathetic defense.

The Eagles always "look good on paper". You've seen this story before. They let DeSean go, but they give Sproles a big contract. They are not going to get the same kind of work out of Sproles that the Saints received. He's getting old and he gets banged up a lot. He will get injured half way through the season, and barely do anything much like Sproles in the last few years where he looks good one week, and then can't do nothing the next week, but seeing as it's the Saints, they usually blame everything on Brees.

Philly is on their way to 6-10 as they should have been last year. Even if they some how don't struggle on offense, you know their defense is an absolute joke. Chip Kelly lucked into those 10 wins last year, it won't happen again. Eagles fans will be screaming how they miss Andy Reid half way through the year (if they aren't screaming it already) since Kelly is hell bent on messing their team totally up. Letting their best WR go is going to really come back to haunt them.

What's worse is were going to have to hear how "classy" Chip Kelly is and how super mega awesome and how role model like the Eagles are cause they cut someone with "gang ties" who is a "bad player".

I hope he goes to the Giants instead and Eli throws bombs to him all day long in a blow out.

I think it's legit. As someone who follows the hip hop culture, Jackson has been known to hang around some notable Philly rappers with notable street connections. People like Meek Mills, Freeway,etc... And from the pictures I've seen it looks as if he hangs around a very rough crowd.  There's video's of him in the studio with Gillie Da Kid who has one of the biggest street reps in Philly. And he seems to love the rapstar persona, so you could argue that it was only a matter of time before he got caught up in something.

It's one thing to be like Lebron James and go to a couple of rap concerts, but it's another to hang around convicted felons and bangers 24/7.

Oh....you mean this picture of them on their way home from choir practice at church? :lol:

0310-niphussle-instagram-3_zpsa28858b3.j

Dumb dumb dumb...dumb.

They just released their best play maker all because the coach didn't like him and the excuse of "he didn't want to fit into the system" and since he's black, the media throws this "gang ties" story out there as if people don't already hate him enough and have enough excuses to say they don't like him. He crip walked after a touchdown, big deal. We might as well start accusing all players of having gang ties that listen to rap music and have tattoos (oh wait, they already did that with Colin Kaepernick, nevermind). ESPN's genius analysts sound even worse than the fans bashing him, which shouldn't surprise anyone seeing as that network would still argue beyond a reason of doubt that Tebow is some how a worthy player.

Let him hook up with the Jets where Vick is. The Eagles are going to regret this one, which won't surprise me. They lucked into 10 wins last year, won't happen again this year with that pathetic defense.

The Eagles always "look good on paper". You've seen this story before. They let DeSean go, but they give Sproles a big contract. They are not going to get the same kind of work out of Sproles that the Saints received. He's getting old and he gets banged up a lot. He will get injured half way through the season, and barely do anything much like Sproles in the last few years where he looks good one week, and then can't do nothing the next week, but seeing as it's the Saints, they usually blame everything on Brees.

Philly is on their way to 6-10 as they should have been last year. Even if they some how don't struggle on offense, you know their defense is an absolute joke. Chip Kelly lucked into those 10 wins last year, it won't happen again. Eagles fans will be screaming how they miss Andy Reid half way through the year (if they aren't screaming it already) since Kelly is hell bent on messing their team totally up. Letting their best WR go is going to really come back to haunt them.

What's worse is were going to have to hear how "classy" Chip Kelly is and how super mega awesome and how role model like the Eagles are cause they cut someone with "gang ties" who is a "bad player".

I hope he goes to the Giants instead and Eli throws bombs to him all day long in a blow out.

Yeah the media made up the gang-ties because they don't like him. Not because he throws up gang signs in games and in pictures, knowingly associates with gang members, and was pulled over with drugs and guns in his car a few years back. It's definetly because the media doesn't like him.

Dumb dumb dumb...dumb.

You seem personally offended by this move by the Eagles. I am interested to read about what Ward said. I will look for it.

Jackson will be picked up by a team because of his tremendous talent, but I hope this is a wake-up call for him. He is not invincible and his talent is not going to bail him out of trouble forever. Unlike Aaron Hernandez, he has a chance to change the trajectory of his life and remove himself from this alleged gang-related stuff. I hope he will.

But justified. Don't confuse race with culture. Its a culture that needs no respect or protection. Hypothetically, if the NFL released everybody who flashed gang signs, those players may all be black. Too bad.

The fact that you would never see a white player being photographed doing that does not make it a racial problem for the NFL. It's a problem for the people like Jackson who think its cool at best, or the sign of a serious affiliation at worst.

And Al Capone led one of the biggest inner city gangs.

There are types of discrimination that are justifiable? Cool. Let me know what cultural customs should be viewed as transgressions even if they aren't actually in and of themselves, ya know, transgressing.

There's a reason I said cultural and not racial because this transcends it. However your response of "too bad" regarding a rule that may admittedly be exposed to the culture of one race requires a lot more discussion than i can offer via my cell.

Too bad Ill suffice to say aswell, though without the irony. Too bad players don't all come from the same upstanding neighborhoods.

No team would just release a player of Jackson's caliber without trying to work a trade. It would seem whatever his associations are they span more than just the Eagles as no team was willing to trade for him.

I'm not going to offer my own conjecture as to why the Eagles didn't see Jackson as a future player for them. And I also won't accept anyone else's conjecture as reason or evidence.

I'll wait for something more substantial and alter my opinion in due course.

Just curious. Not saying they are, but what exactly is in this photo that suggests those in it CANT be on their way home from church?

Nothing does....the comment was a joke.

That little round-headed yellow guy laughing at the end of the sentence should have been a tip-off. :yes:

I'm not going to offer my own conjecture as to why the Eagles didn't see Jackson as a future player for them. And I also won't accept anyone else's conjecture as reason or evidence.

I'll wait for something more substantial and alter my opinion in due course.

I think some of those reasons will be coming fast and furious over the next few weeks.

I think many teams will be interested in Jackson despite the baggage. Too much talent for him to stay unemployed for long.

I agree ..and he may be a little more careful about his associations now that this is come out.

He sounds like a traditional Oakland Raider...they have the money....they should jump on him

Yes, a offense who's #1 WR is Riley Cooper will definitely be top 10 in the league. Yeah, makes perfect sense -___-

Great rushing offense in the NFL by far, and the passing game will be efficient. Believe what you wish.

Cooper was catching passes... and the only thing he dropped was a racial slur. If I were the Eagles I might have washed my hands of both guys.

That is pretty harsh for a racial slur. If the Eagles did that then more than half of their team would have to go.

You are probably right. No use preaching holiness, treat thy neighbor as yourself, etc ....

Gotta let them in first to spread that word. And once you have, dressing and making gestures that have been part of your culture and environment since birth is not mutually exclusive with your stated ideals. They can do both.

Holiness doesn't nor shouldn't have a dress code.

Gotta let them in first to spread that word. And once you have, dressing and making gestures that have been part of your culture and environment since birth is not mutually exclusive with your stated ideals. They can do both.

I agree with that. But the gestures are part of a lifestyle not separate from it. So to have someone in church who is professing to know God and continuing to identify with a lifestyle that is opposed to Christianity would be a conflict. And so too with the Eagles. They have every right to cut ties with a player who they believe may have detrimental associations. I agree with your other points that we need to know more before vilifying him and that will probably come to light sooner or later. 

What are your thoughts on Aaron Hernandez? Do you think the Patriots should have not released him? 

I agree with that. But the gestures are part of a lifestyle not separate from it. So to have someone in church who is professing to know God and continuing to identify with a lifestyle that is opposed to Christianity would be a conflict. And so too with the Eagles. They have every right to cut ties with a player who they believe may have detrimental associations. I agree with your other points that we need to know more before vilifying him and that will probably come to light sooner or later.

What are your thoughts on Aaron Hernandez? Do you think the Patriots should have not released him?

Evidence suggests dude may have killed people. Big difference.

Regarding the Eagles, a private entity can feel free to promote any image they see fit. I couldn't dress like that to my job. However, I'm skeptical until proven otherwise that is the reason for release.

It's those other points about waiting for stronger evidence than photos to draw conclusions about his character.

That said, by the way he acts on the field, Jackson strikes me like a hot dog and me first player.

Evidence suggests dude may have killed people. Big difference.

Regarding the Eagles, a private entity can feel free to promote any image they see fit. I couldn't dress like that to my job.

It's those other points about waiting for stronger evidence than photos to draw conclusions about his character.

That said, by the way he acts on the field, Jackson strikes me like a hot dog and me first player.

Yeah, I think he was released more due to his attitude then gang affiliations but I guess we don't know that for sure. Still though it speaks volumes that the Eagles could not work a trade for him. Even malcontents like Dillon and Moss got picks. 

Yeah, I think he was released more due to his attitude then gang affiliations but I guess we don't know that for sure. Still though it speaks volumes that the Eagles could not work a trade for him. Even malcontents like Dillon and Moss got picks.

TO didn't in a similar situation with the Eagles. If teams sense they can get him w/o trading, they do.

TO didn't in a similar situation with the Eagles. If teams sense they can get him w/o trading, they do.

Not true. Ownes was actually traded to the Ravens for a second round pick because his agent missed the deadline to void the final years of his contract with the Niners. The trade never happened though because Owens contended it with the help of the PA. The net was the Niners did get a 5th round pick from the Eagles and DE Brandon Whiting.

Here are the details.  

The NFLPA and Owens disputed the missed deadling, contending that the deadline referred to by the 49ers was not the applicable deadline. On March 4, 2004, San Francisco, believing it still held Owens' rights, attempted to trade Owens to the Baltimore Ravens for a second round pick in the 2004 draft. However, Owens challenged the 49ers' right to make the deal. Owens assumed that he would become a free agent on March 3, and did not believe that the earlier deadline was applicable. Hence, he negotiated with other teams in advance of his expected free agency, and reached a contract agreement with the Philadelphia Eagles, whose fan base strongly supported Owens in his desire to play for the team. The NFLPA filed a grievance on his behalf.

Before an arbitrator could make a ruling on Owens' grievance, the NFL and the three teams involved in the controversy reached a settlement on March 16, 2004. The Ravens got their second-round pick back from San Francisco, and the 49ers in turn received a conditional fifth-round pick and defensive end Brandon Whiting from the Eagles in exchange for the rights to Owens. Owens' contract with the Eagles was reported to be worth $49 million for seven years, including a $10 million signing bonus.

TO threatened to hold out after just signing a $49 million contract with the Eagles. He also kept bad mouthing mgmt. during the season and was eventually deactivated by the Eagles after making remarks about the org and McNabb. After all that, the Eagles just released him.

Of course, some similar things went on with Jackson and his contract but he claims he never asked for more money this past season.

Not true. Ownes was actually traded to the Ravens for a second round pick because his agent missed the deadline to void the final years of his contract with the Niners. The trade never happened though because Owens contended it with the help of the PA. The net was the Niners did get a 5th round pick from the Eagles and DE Brandon Whiting.

Here are the details.

The NFLPA and Owens disputed the missed deadling, contending that the deadline referred to by the 49ers was not the applicable deadline. On March 4, 2004, San Francisco, believing it still held Owens' rights, attempted to trade Owens to the Baltimore Ravens for a second round pick in the 2004 draft. However, Owens challenged the 49ers' right to make the deal. Owens assumed that he would become a free agent on March 3, and did not believe that the earlier deadline was applicable. Hence, he negotiated with other teams in advance of his expected free agency, and reached a contract agreement with the Philadelphia Eagles, whose fan base strongly supported Owens in his desire to play for the team. The NFLPA filed a grievance on his behalf.

Before an arbitrator could make a ruling on Owens' grievance, the NFL and the three teams involved in the controversy reached a settlement on March 16, 2004. The Ravens got their second-round pick back from San Francisco, and the 49ers in turn received a conditional fifth-round pick and defensive end Brandon Whiting from the Eagles in exchange for the rights to Owens. Owens' contract with the Eagles was reported to be worth $49 million for seven years, including a $10 million signing bonus.

I meant when the Eagles released him and he went to the Cowboys.