Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eagles release Desean Jackson

Colts_Fan12

Of course, some similar things went on with Jackson and his contract but he claims he never asked for more money this past season.

Except when he did. And there reports that Jackson was quite a pest himself.

Even when it happened there were those who disagreed with TOs release and more Eagle fans were annoyed as the years got removed from the situation as they realized that McNabb wasn't winning them a championship and began resenting the choice to just drop TO.

A gang related story I'm sure makes this sell more palatable to those déjà vu fans.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except when he did. And there reports that Jackson was quite a pest himself.

Even when it happened there were those who disagreed with TOs release and more Eagle fans were annoyed as the years got removed from the situation as they realized that McNabb wasn't winning them a championship and began resenting the choice to just drop TO.

A gang related story I'm sure makes this sell more palatable to those déjà vu fans.

I don't think there is any placating when it comes to Eagles fans. They have to be seething over this move. Jackson has never been suspended and certainly never arrested. Whatever his associations, he has managed to keep himself clean. As for him being a prima donna, who cares? Good teams learn how to manage that I would think. Every team has one or two if not more of those guys but few if any have a player of Jackson's talent level. I think this speaks more to Kelly wanting to do things his way which is fine but he should just say that as there really is no reason to believe that Jackson won't go elsewhere and continue to produce at an elite level.

I don't think there is any placating when it comes to Eagles fans. They have to be seething over this move. Jackson has never been suspended and certainly never arrested. Whatever his associations, he has managed to keep himself clean. As for him being a prima donna, who cares? Good teams learn how to manage that I would think. Every team has one or two if not more of those guys but few if any have a player of Jackson's talent level. I think this speaks more to Kelly wanting to do things his way which is fine but he should just say that as there really is no reason to believe that Jackson won't go elsewhere and continue to produce at an elite level.

Well put.

I don't think there is any placating when it comes to Eagles fans. They have to be seething over this move. Jackson has never been suspended and certainly never arrested. Whatever his associations, he has managed to keep himself clean. As for him being a prima donna, who cares? Good teams learn how to manage that I would think. Every team has one or two if not more of those guys but few if any have a player of Jackson's talent level. I think this speaks more to Kelly wanting to do things his way which is fine but he should just say that as there really is no reason to believe that Jackson won't go elsewhere and continue to produce at an elite level.

I'm guessing there is a lot more to the story than people know.

Yeah. We will see what comes to light. I would be steaming if I was an Eagles fan. To not get anything for him is ridiculous.

I agree it was suspiscious that the 'gang' aroma came out when in the day they released him..

..they should have just let him go quickly..and let the story surface on its own..

I think them trying to trade him, not getting any offers, cutting him, and now he has over 10 suitors tells me that this was soley about $$$$.

While he is clearly a nice player, the Eagles felt he wasn't worth the $, and clearly other teams felt the same way. But now that he's not making $10+, teams are coming out of the woodwork.  

I think them trying to trade him, not getting any offers, cutting him, and now he has over 10 suitors tells me that this was soley about $$$$.

While he is clearly a nice player, the Eagles felt he wasn't worth the $, and clearly other teams felt the same way. But now that he's not making $10+, teams are coming out of the woodwork.  

He is still going to make the $10 mil, maybe more. His production justified his salary.

maybe, but there will be all sorts of outs for the team in the contract

Outs for what? He has never been suspended by the league or the Eagles. You can't put outs in a contract for a player being a diva. I think he will make even more money then when he was with the Eagles especially if the Skins sign him.

Outs for what? He has never been suspended by the league or the Eagles. You can't put outs in a contract for a player being a diva. I think he will make even more money then when he was with the Eagles especially if the Skins sign him.

Then he won't get a long term contract. If a team wanted to pay him that they would have traded with the eagles

Then he won't get a long term contract. If a team wanted to pay him that they would have traded with the eagles

Not trading for him did not have to do with just his money but giving up a draft pick. The other teams knew the Eagles were going to get rid of him so they waited it out and now can get him for nothing other than the money. He is only 27. He will get a multi-year contract for sure. No way he signs a one or two year deal.

Til he signs with the Redskins tommorrow lol

If the Redskins sign him they will have themselves a dangerous looking offense. Garcon, Jackson, Moss, Hankerson at WR. Jordan Reed at TE AND some VERY nice backs with Morris, Hulu Jr., and Royster. I would be feeling pretty good as an OC to have that and two nice young qbs on my roster....dynamic Griffen and a solid Cousins that can play in a pinch or will inevidably be trade bait down the line. Nice core of players if they land Jackson.

Not trading for him did not have to do with just his money but giving up a draft pick. The other teams knew the Eagles were going to get rid of him so they waited it out and now can get him for nothing other than the money. He is only 27. He will get a multi-year contract for sure. No way he signs a one or two year deal.

They could have given a 7th and not have to outbid other teams. Teams are worried, whether or not they should be is yet to be seen

They could have given a 7th and not have to outbid other teams. Teams are worried, whether or not they should be is yet to be seen

Why give the 7th when you don't have to? Same reason why no one gave a pick for Revis either. They knew Bucs were releasing him.

I guess we will see but I believe he will get a multi-year contract worth $10 mil a year or more. The guaranteed money may be where teams pull up a bit.

Why give the 7th when you don't have to? Same reason why no one gave a pick for Revis either. They knew Bucs were releasing him.

I guess we will see but I believe he will get a multi-year contract worth $10 mil a year or more. The guaranteed money may be where teams pull up a bit.

That is not why teams wouldn't trade for revis. He was due 16 million dollars. No one was going to pay that. Not even remotely the same situation

That is not why teams wouldn't trade for revis. He was due 16 million dollars. No one was going to pay that. Not even remotely the same situation

Meh. They knew Tampa would release him just like they knew the Eagles were releasing Jackson. Why trade if you don't have to. Jackson is not overpaid at $10 mil a year.

Meh. They knew Tampa would release him just like they knew the Eagles were releasing Jackson. Why trade if you don't have to. Jackson is not overpaid at $10 mil a year.

exactly, revis was overpaid at 16. A team could have traded a 7th and the eagles would have had to eat the bonus money. Not the sane thing at all

exactly, revis was overpaid at 16. A team could have traded a 7th and the eagles would have had to eat the bonus money. Not the sane thing at all

Sure but your point was about teams not trading for Jackson because of the money. My contention is that they didn't want to give up the draft pick. He will still get $10 mil a year over multiple years. I think the guaranteed money may be low though but then again if it is the Skins then the sky is the limit.

And the Eagles by releasing him ate $6 mil.

Sure but your point was about teams not trading for Jackson because of the money. My contention is that they didn't want to give up the draft pick. He will still get $10 mil a year over multiple years. I think the guaranteed money may be low though but then again if it is the Skins then the sky is the limit.

That is still my point, they could have had him for less than 10 a year and no one was willing to do it

Any team that traded for him. He would have been due 10.5 this year , 9.5 next year and 8.5 the following year. And not one team was even willing to give up a 7th

That is because his new team, mostly like the Skins, are going to do a new deal with him that pays him more. There is no way he would have played out that contract with the Eagles at those numbers given his production. Any team that traded for him knew that. So keep the pick and do a new deal now that way he is happy and getting what he is worth.

That is because his new team, mostly like the Skins, are going to do a new deal with him that pays him more. There is no way he would have played out that contract with the Eagles at those numbers given his production. Any team that traded for him knew that. So keep the pick and do a new deal now that way he is happy and getting what he is worth.

Yeah, I'm sure that's it :facepalm:

Yeah, I'm sure that's it :facepalm:

He'll definitely get more money than he was going to off of the remainder of his Eagles deal, I can pretty much guarantee it.  His new deal may be slightly more cap-friendly to the Skins in the short run but Jackson will ultimately benefit from this whole ordeal.

Personally, I'm not optimistic about the whole thing but it sounds like the deal may have already been reached... so its just a waiting game to see the numbers.

He'll definitely get more money than he was going to off of the remainder of his Eagles deal, I can pretty much guarantee it. His new deal may be slightly more cap-friendly to the Skins in the short run but Jackson will ultimately benefit from this whole ordeal..

or not

3 years 24 million 16 in guarantees

Yeah, I guess we were both right and wrong. I thought he would get the multi-year deal but was wrong about the amount although he got more guaranteed then I thought he would. Have you seen the breakdown per year? I am wondering what is guaranteed and how much they will pay each year. A good deal I think for the Skins.