Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should Wes Welker Retire?

PATS16N0

The fact is, Welker is more than likely going to suffer irreparable health problems later in life, whether he walks away from the game tomorrow or not. He's a tough, tenacious little receiver and gives the game his all, going across the middle and taking big hits from big men. He's suffered a number of concussions over his career and after the last two back to back blows he took last season, I'm really surprised his wife hasn't demanded he walk away.

Keeping in mind what happened to Junior Seau, is it time for Denver to step in and tell him he needs to retire?

I understand chasing the ring, especially since he's come just a play away from getting it now on two occassions, in 2007 and in 2012, but the long term damage that comes and reveals itself later on in life from multiple concussions is really nothing to scoff at.

People have reported he's started slurring words and suffered from some black out at one point.

After taking those two back to back concussions last season, is it time for Welker to take his bow?

That's entirely up to him.  

Indeed so, the only thing I'd say now is that now players can't claim to be ignorant of the danger it makes it interesting for any future action by players playing now. I know not all might agree but part of why these guys get paid so much is it's a tough tough brutal game, if you don't like the risks don't take the cash. It's  up to each individual to choose. 

The fact is, Welker is more than likely going to suffer irreparable health problems later in life, whether he walks away from the game tomorrow or not. He's a tough, tenacious little receiver and gives the game his all, going across the middle and taking big hits from big men. He's suffered a number of concussions over his career and after the last two back to back blows he took last season, I'm really surprised his wife hasn't demanded he walk away.

Keeping in mind what happened to Junior Seau, is it time for Denver to step in and tell him he needs to retire?

I understand chasing the ring, especially since he's come just a play away from getting it now on two occassions, in 2007 and in 2012, but the long term damage that comes and reveals itself later on in life from multiple concussions is really nothing to scoff at.

People have reported he's started slurring words and suffered from some black out at one point.

After taking those two back to back concussions last season, is it time for Welker to take his bow?

It looks like you are a Pats fan. Didn't the Pats play Austin Collie last year? He has had numerous concussions and some of them were very severe. Are you asking him to retire too? Welker had two concussions last year and I agree with much of what you say. But these guys think they are invincible and they won't just walk away.

I do notice u are a Pats fan...might that have something to do with wanting him to retire?  Breaking up is hard to do : )  U do know the Pats have Austin Collie who should have been forced to retire several seasons ago.  When a player is knocked unconscious multiple times and has one of the most severe concussions in recent memory in the same season and refuses to retire then I think the league should step in.  Huge liability every time they put him on the field.

Wow, is that true? Do you have a link?

If it is, then that's scary for Wes. He's as tough a football player as I've ever seen but everyone's got their limits. I hope that it's very untrue and that he enjoys a fulfilling career and good health for the rest of his life. 

"People have reported he's started slurring words and suffered from some black out at one point."

Love the player but if this is true Wes is crazy to step on the field again. He still a young man and those symptoms a worrisome.

If it is, then that's scary for Wes. He's as tough a football player as I've ever seen but everyone's got their limits. I hope that it's very untrue and that he enjoys a fulfilling career and good health for the rest of his life. 

exactly. i havent anything of that nature before.

The fact is, that this is mere speculation, as highlighted by the "more than likely"

We dont know the details of what happened to Seau, thus more speculation.

Oh so now both his wife AND the organization should force him to retire? Why not create a petition while your at it so you can force him to retire too? Ya know...for his safety and all...nothing to do with the pats fan, ex pat star break-up. Nothing at all :rollseyes:

Ah reports you say? Well they MUST be true...or could this be more speculation?

Dan Lebarard attempted to make a big deal about Welker briefly mumbling during SB week....he didn't get much traction with it.

Dan Lebarard attempted to make a big deal about Welker briefly mumbling during SB week....he didn't get much traction with it.

Welker kind of mumbles anyway, lol...

I thought the OP meant, like, friends/family were reporting it. Which would be bad for Wes. 

Thanks for the info though Blood.

Welker kind of mumbles anyway, lol...

I thought the OP meant, like, friends/family were reporting it. Which would be bad for Wes. 

Thanks for the info though Blood.

To be fair to the OP, I think the "Pickle" also wrote something about it . . . and we all know that's a credible source. ;)

You cant tell a guy to retire...

I understand what you're saying and  you're not wrong..

But if he wants to try to get back to the Super Bowl.....I wouldn't prohibit him from trying..

Austin Collie is the same way.....I fear for them but these are grown men

PATS16N0, at times I question your threads...

Whats the point of it?

He had a good year last year before getting hurt, everyone gets hurt, look at Harvin...

Welker should do as he pleases, he is a good receiver, he can run good routes and brings toughness to that WR corp.