Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

we cannot let adam vinatieri go...

bap1331

No, what's stupid is letting someone walk who is still contributing at an elite level, no matter the age.

He should be re-signed.

Sorry, don't agree. There's always a time to move on and IMO, its time. Re-signing a kicker over 40 yrs. old who has been shaky over the last few yrs. is not a smart move from a business standpoint. Not smart at all!

Sorry, don't agree. There's always a time to move on and IMO, its time. Re-signing a kicker over 40 yrs. old who has been shaky over the last few yrs. is not a smart move from a business standpoint. Not smart at all!

Shaky?

Last year was arguably his best year as a pro.

If you have a player playing at an elite level and wants to continue playing, you don't let him walk away. You just don't.

As much as I like Adam, he doesn't have much time left in his NFL career I would say 2 years at the most. I think the smarter move would be to try to get the Seahawks kicker Steven Hauschka who is a free agent and a good one at that. He's only 28 and made 33 of 35 field goals last year, If Grigson was smart he should try really hard to sign this guy!

As a Pats fan I will always love Adam for everything he met to those championship runs but he has been shaky the last couple of years and now with the new potential rule to move the extra points back to the 25 it would be a good time to find a younger kicker.

As a Pats fan I will always love Adam for everything he met to those championship runs but he has been shaky the last couple of years and now with the new potential rule to move the extra points back to the 25 it would be a good time to find a younger kicker.

Adam Vinatieri has been pretty accurate over the last three years... and has made 84-100 kicks. Last year he made 35-40 putting him in the top 3 kicking. Not very shaky if you ask me.

Adam Vinatieri has been pretty accurate over the last three years... and has made 84-100 kicks. Last year he made 35-40 putting him in the top 3 kicking. Not very shaky if you ask me.

Yeah, I was thinking more of the 43 yard extra point that could be tough for a 40+ year old kicker to make consistently.

What was his percentage for kicks over 40?

Yeah, I was thinking more of the 43 yard extra point that could be tough for a 40+ year old kicker to make consistently.

What was his percentage for kicks over 40?

Over the same three year period Adam has made 32-37 kicks from 40-49 yards out, and 10-16 50+ range. If they change the extra point spot it likely won't be for a year, or two which Adam will probably be retired at that point...but with numbers like that I wouldn't worry too much about AdamVinatieri.

I don't want Vinatieri. He's too old and cannot be counted on to hit a long field goal outdoors in cold weather.

I hope we sign Stephen Hauschka.

The age old myth that Adam doesn't have it from long range anymore with a new twist.

In the past three years Adam is 42 of 53 from beyond 40 Including going four of five in KC in the freezing cold late in the season the past two years and three of those four he hit in KC were from beyond 45 yards.

We might not keep Adam but Adam has proven his leg is not an issue.  If it was and the Colts were scared he couldn't hit they could always send McAfee out there.  The fact they haven't tells me they have had zero concern about Adam's leg. 

Over the same three year period Adam has made 32-37 kicks from 40-49 yards out, and 10-16 50+ range. If they change the extra point spot it likely won't be for a year, or two which Adam will probably be retired at that point...but with numbers like that I wouldn't worry too much about AdamVinatieri.

It depends if you want to save money and release him and sign a younger kicker. The Pats did that with their punter last year. Cut Mesko and signed Ryan Allen at $400,000.

It depends if you want to save money and release him and sign a younger kicker. The Pats did that with their punter last year. Cut Mesko and signed Ryan Allen at $400,000.

Or you can pay a guy like Adam for one year for stability at the kicking position. Odds are he is good for one more run... and then he hangs up his cleats. Hall of fame bound.

Or you can pay a guy like Adam for one year for stability at the kicking position. Odds are he is good for one more run... and then he hangs up his cleats. Hall of fame bound.

Sure you can but that was my point if you want to save that $$$ that you would have to pay Adam and spend elsewhere then you could part ways now. You have to go with a younger kicker eventually anyways.

I do hope Adam makes the HoF. They are funny about kickers but I can't think of anyone more instrumental to four championship runs then him for the Pats and Colts.

Sure you can but that was my point if you want to save that $$$ that you would have to pay Adam and spend elsewhere then you could part ways now. You have to go with a younger kicker eventually anyways.

I do hope Adam makes the HoF. They are funny about kickers but I can't think of anyone more instrumental to four championship runs then him for the Pats and Colts.

Odds are they will go younger with each passing day they get slimmer. I think if you look at Adam's regular season, and playoff kicking stats he is deserving... If any kicker goes it should be him.