Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Somebody Has Got To Say (Type) It: Aqib Talib

He may hit the open market in 7ish days.

Any of you anti-Tolerites Gonna get your bullhorns out for him?

In truth, I'd take him. If we could re-sign Vontae and move Toler to slot. That'd be pretty formidable...if of course the price is right.

I think they would have to release Toler to justify having both Davis and Talib. If they had all 3 it would be around a $20 million cap hit for CB's alone.

Talib is one of the top cover corners in the league. He would fit in the Colts def very well. And he makes Toler look like Cassius Vaughn. But I would rather have Shields over the injuries and off the field drama.

I do want to replace Toler unless we could miraculously sign Byrd at S. Then draft a decent cb.

why don't you guys like Darius Butler? We do need a #2 corner but DB is a very good slot corner.

I said cut Toler, implying Butler would still be be the slot corner if they were to sign both Davis and Talib.

Nonsense. Toler played the slot to perfection in Arizona. We moved him to the 2. I personally do not have a problem with him at the 2. But so many of you belly-ache over him, perhaps moving him back to the slot would appease the whiners. ;)

He may hit the open market in 7ish days.

Any of you anti-Tolerites Gonna get your bullhorns out for him?

In truth, I'd take him. If we could re-sign Vontae and move Toler to slot. That'd be pretty formidable...if of course the price is right.

I said it months ago

Talib takes out bigger receivers better than anyone. He proved what he could do against Julio Jones, A.J. Green, Andre Johnson and Jimmy Graham. Talib has had problems with his hip, but he doesn't necessarily have to play every down in every game either.

V. Davis, J. Byrd, Landry, and Talib would be a formidable backfield. D.Butler against the slot.

I think Talib has demonstrated he's a very good man to man corner.    Lots of positive write-ups on him when he went down in the playoff game vs. Denver....

My primary concern is not paying him...   I think we could afford him...   it would be could Talib find happiness in a smaller market like Indianapolis.    That would worry me.     Not every play can thrive in a small city.     Don't get me wrong,  I think he'd thrive in our team environment as Vonte has embraced it.     But what does he do on his time off.....    That would worry me.

For that reason, I'm not sure someone like Sam Shields might not be a better fit.    If you can live well in Green Bay,  you can live really, really well in Indy!

No thanks, I'm good, no thanks. On the field, he's a really good corner. But he keeps getting hurt at the worst time, at least the past two seasons.

And then there's the off the field stuff. What happened in Tampa with Schiano might not have been all his fault; Schiano was apparently a jerkface. But it's still at least an orange flag. Before that was the fighting with teammates and the arrests. The final straw with the Bucs was his drug suspension, which puts him one failed test away from missing half the season.

And evidently, he wants to be PAID.

He's just not the right guy. Too many red flags, too many question marks, too much money, too much risk. Basically all the reasons (I assume) Brian Casserly was reluctant to start the thread in the first place.

My primary concern is not paying him... it would be could Talib find happiness in a smaller market like Indianapolis. 

If you can live well in Green Bay,  you can live really, really well in Indy!

Aside from the fact that 'adults' work for money and not geographical market size, Indianapolis has a metropolitan area population of 2,310,360. Not sure I'm understanding how that is off-putting.

Really?

Edited by Superman

Aside from the fact that 'adults' work for money and not geographical market size, Indianapolis has a metropolitan area population of 2,310,360. Not sure I'm understanding how that is off-putting.

Really?

I wasn't talking about geographical size.

I was talking about being a black man in a smaller, more rural, more white market.

Some can deal with it.    Others can't.

Shields, and a guy like James Jones,  both from Green Bay, have shown they can deal with it.

Talib,  I'm not so sure.

I'm sorry it wasn't more clear for you.

Edited by Superman

Oh, for crying out loud.....I wasn't talking about geographical size. I was talking about being a black man in a smaller, more rural, more white market.

Have you been to New England?! Have you been to the outlying areas of Boston? Because I have.

The actual city itself is smaller in population than Indianapolis with 618,000 residents and 24.4% of that being "Black". Whereas Indianapolis has a population of 820,445 and 27.5% of that number is "black".

Perhaps your incorrect, preconceived notions are the issue...and not my response. ;)

Edited by Superman

Have you been to New England?! Have you been to the outlying areas of Boston? Because I have.

The actual city itself is smaller in population than Indianapolis with 618,000 residents and 24.4% of that being "Black". Whereas Indianapolis has a population of 820,445 and 27.5% of that number is "black".

Perhaps your incorrect, preconceived notions are the issue...and not my response. ;)

I think a preconceived notion of Indianapolis and the outlying area would be that it's mostly farm country.   Small town life.

I think the preconceived notion of Boston (Foxboro) would be that's it's the Big City.   With Big City life and all the trappings that might some attractive to an African American player.

I appreciate that these are big broad stereotypes.   I'm not trying to insult anyone.  (though I've probably failed)   I'm well aware that we have a large number of AA players on the team.   I just think some have a better make-up to play in a smaller, quieter market and others are more geared for big city life.

Remember,  we're talking about perception,  not about literal reality.

Just my view of things from 2,000 miles away.

Edited by Superman

Posted · Hidden by Superman, March 5, 2014 - insulting, unnecessary
Hidden by Superman, March 5, 2014 - insulting, unnecessary

Oh, for crying out loud.....   really?

If you had simply said you didn't understand my meaning, I could've explained it to you.

But no....  you had to be a jerk and start throwing bombs.     Seriously?

I wasn't talking about geographical size.

I was talking about being a black man in a smaller, more rural, more white market.

Some can deal with it.    Others can't.

Shields, and a guy like James Jones,  both from Green Bay, have shown they can deal with it.

Talib,  I'm not so sure.

I'm sorry it wasn't more clear for you.

But there was no need to start throwing bombs....   beyond the fact that you love to do it.

Get a grip.

I was with you, thinking that Brian Casserly kind of over-reacted and then I read your explanation... and I must agree with Casserly... this is perhaps one of the dumbest things I have read on this forum.

Nonsense. Toler played the slot to perfection in Arizona. We moved him to the 2. I personally do not have a problem with him at the 2. But so many of you belly-ache over him, perhaps moving him back to the slot would appease the whiners. ;)

There is no appeasing the whiners.

I'm not sure if Talib is the right guy.. mainly because I think he will be expensive.  But I do like your idea of moving Toler to the slot (I'm one that thinks the Colts D was a top 10 D with a healthy Toler at the #2) But I was impressed when they moved Butler to the #2 spot.  Then draft a guy who can fill in at the nickle (if/when Toler gets hurt) and hopefully has enough upside to fight for the #2 in his 2nd or third year.

I think a preconceived notion of Indianapolis and the outlying area would be that it's mostly farm country.   Small town life.

I think the preconceived notion of Boston (Foxboro) would be that's it's the Big City.   With Big City life and all the trappings that might some attractive to an African American player.

I appreciate that these are big broad stereotypes.   I'm not trying to insult anyone.  (though I've probably failed)   I'm well aware that we have a large number of AA players on the team.   I just think some have a better make-up to play in a smaller, quieter market and others are more geared for big city life.

Remember,  we're talking about perception,  not about literal reality.

Just my view of things from 2,000 miles away.

I think your argument would have carried more weight if Talib had been in Miami, NY, New Orleans, Atlanta, etc ...  I don't think the his living experience as far as the criteria you mentioned would be that much different between NE and Indy.

Posted · Hidden by Superman, March 5, 2014 - response to hidden post
Hidden by Superman, March 5, 2014 - response to hidden post

I was with you, thinking that Brian Casserly kind of over-reacted and then I read your explanation... and I must agree with Casserly... this is perhaps one of the dumbest things I have read on this forum.

Actually.....  Casserly's comment was directed to my first comment...   that he took to mean about the size of the city,  not the cultural make-up.    He didn't call my comment about cultural diversity "one of the dumbest things I've read on this forum"...   he disagreed with it,   but didn't call it dumb.

But you just did.      Thanks.       :thmup:

I think your argument would have carried more weight if Talib had been in Miami, NY, New Orleans, Atlanta, etc ...  I don't think the his living experience as far as the criteria you mentioned would be that much different between NE and Indy.

You maybe entirely right.    I'm completely speculating here.

The kid did play college football for Kansas State which is almost in the middle of nowhere.

I'm just allowing for the possibility.....   wondering about the "what if...?"

But I figure any AA player who was comfortable enough in Green Bay would have no problems with Indianapolis.    I would think he'd be much, much happier.

Posted · Hidden by Superman, March 5, 2014 - insulting, unnecessary
Hidden by Superman, March 5, 2014 - insulting, unnecessary

Actually.....  Casserly's comment was directed to my first comment...   that he took to mean about the size of the city,  not the cultural make-up.    He didn't call my comment about cultural diversity "one of the dumbest things I've read on this forum"...   he disagreed with it,   but didn't call it dumb.

But you just did.      Thanks.       :thmup:

I am well aware of when Casserly responded to you.  You must be proud, to post a really dumb post and then follow it up with a dumber post.  That is hard to do, even on this forum. 

But hey, if you want to be racist about it then by all means that is your prerogative.

You maybe entirely right.    I'm completely speculating here.

The kid did play college football for Kansas State which is almost in the middle of nowhere.

I'm just allowing for the possibility.....   wondering about the "what if...?"

But I figure any AA player who was comfortable enough in Green Bay would have no problems with Indianapolis.    I would think he'd be much, much happier.

No, Manhattan KS is the middle of nowhere.

And comparing Green Bay to Indy is kinda odd. I get that Indy isn't the most glamorous destination, but GB is tiny and in the middle of nowhere.

No, Manhattan KS is the middle of nowhere.

And comparing Green Bay to Indy is kinda odd. I get that Indy isn't the most glamorous destination, but GB is tiny and in the middle of nowhere.

I wasn't trying to make a direct connection.    I wasn't trying to say Indy and Green Bay are the same.

You're right,  Green Bay is in the middle of no where.     And Indy is a big city.     But it's not a sexy glamorous big city.   It's not New York,  Chicago, Philly,  Dallas,  Houston,   San Francisco,   etc.

It's somewhere in the middle.      Not sure it appeals to everyone.

I appreciate that this maybe seen as a knock on Indy.    But since I've been very, very public about my respect and affection for the city,  I hope people here will remember that.     I'm not knocking the city.    Only saying that it's not for everyone.

Posted · Hidden by Superman, March 5, 2014 - response to hidden post
Hidden by Superman, March 5, 2014 - response to hidden post

I am well aware of when Casserly responded to you.  You must be proud, to post a really dumb post and then follow it up with a dumber post.  That is hard to do, even on this forum. 

But hey, if you want to be racist about it then by all means that is your prerogative.

Fine.     Now you're calling me a racist.  

You've got to work pretty darn hard to come up with that,  but I'll take it you're not a friend.   No friend would say that of another.

I'll make a note of it and will try not to respond directly to your posts.

How about you do the same to me.     We'll just stay out of each others way......

We're done.

Boston is NOT a big city relatively speaking. It's metropolitan area has a larger population than Indianapolis' however, the city itself does not. I travel quite a bit and I have found this mistaken notion going on for a lot of cities. Indianapolis is actually larger than ll but 9 other NFL cities. 

Edited by Superman

I think Talib has demonstrated he's a very good man to man corner. Lots of positive write-ups on him when he went down in the playoff game vs. Denver....

My primary concern is not paying him... I think we could afford him... it would be could Talib find happiness in a smaller market like Indianapolis. That would worry me. Not every play can thrive in a small city. Don't get me wrong, I think he'd thrive in our team environment as Vonte has embraced it. But what does he do on his time off..... That would worry me.

For that reason, I'm not sure someone like Sam Shields might not be a better fit. If you can live well in Green Bay, you can live really, really well in Indy!

NCF - I have read all posts in the thread and I think you are off base here. I actually believe that Indy has 3 key factors in their favor that any FA would like regardless of the factors mentioned.

1) Cap space

2) young franchise qb

3) cap space

Points 1 and 3 in particular will help offset any misgivings they may have about the city.