Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Phill Simms Says Luck Hasn't An Nfl Caliber Power Arm

bayone

"I just don't see big time NFL throws. I don't care what anybody says. I've watched a lot of him. He never takes it and rips it in there. And you can say what you want but, man, you’ve got to be able to crease that ball every once in a while," Simms said. "There's not a lot of rotation on the ball and there’s not a tremendous amount of power. Not that you need to have that power arm. I’m not saying you’ve got to have that exclusively but, man, it sure helps when you can do that because there’s four or five plays a game it is about arm strength."

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/bbR9K

I predict another Ryan Leaf in the making.

That's a totally wrong comparison. Ryan Leaf was touted as having a big arm, whereas Manning was touted as being more for his intelligence. If anything, Phil Simms comment about Luck's lack of arm strength makes Luck even MORE like Peyton!

Edited by ReMeDy

That's a totally wrong comparison. Ryan Leaf was touted as having a big arm, whereas Manning was touted as being more for his intelligence. If anything, Phil Simms comment about Luck's lack of arm strength makes Luck even MORE like Peyton!

I was referring to a hyped up pre draft player like Leaf was and then sucked in the NFL.

who cares what Phil Simms thinks,if he was that smart he wouldn't be a pundit or a talking head and he would be in a front office making decisions.

wow...that was just dumb. I'm not saying I agree with everything Simms says, but he does know a thing or 2 about being a successful NFL quarterback.

Wow Simms is really down on Luck isn't he? I'm not really worried if he doesn't have a rocket arm. Peyton doesn't have a rocket arm, Brees doesn't have a rocket arm. I'll take intelligence over arm strength any day.

Wow Simms is really down on Luck isn't he? I'm not really worried if he doesn't have a rocket arm. Peyton doesn't have a rocket arm, Brees doesn't have a rocket arm. I'll take intelligence over arm strength any day.

ya but he has a rocket arm in that Sprint commercial . . . :number1:

Yeah, whatever happened to that big armed Ryan Leaf and JaMarcus Russell who could throw 50-60 yards with his knee on the ground? :)

They couldn't read defenses to save their souls....so their arm strength was utterly useless.

Brett Favre had all the arm strength in the world.....but vomitted on a regular basis at the worst possible time.

Joe Montana? Almost the polar opposite....because he had QB intelligence and vision.

This conversation is another attempt to find any reason whatsoever for the Colts not to draft Luck.....and probably the worst one so far.

I've never listened to Phil Simms. He may be a good quarterback, but he is a terrible analyst. He and Jim Nantz has to be the worst commentary group out there. If Phil Simms knows what he's talking about, he would know that the big throws doesn't make or break a QB, it's the accuracy and Luck is one of the most accurate guys I've seen in the last 15 years. You're an * Phil Simms!

They couldn't read defenses to save their souls....so their arm strength was utterly useless.

Brett Favre had all the arm strength in the world.....but vomitted on a regular basis at the worst possible time.

Joe Montana? Almost the polar opposite....because he had QB intelligence and vision.

This conversation is another attempt to find any reason whatsoever for the Colts not to draft Luck.....and probably the worst one so far.

True dat, Phil Simms was a dink and dunker himself that relied more on accuracy than arm strength, so what does he know about arm strength? Is it QB envy? :)

Edited by chad72

Who is Phil Shimms? Oh yeah, Thats the guy that Peyton dissed and said that he had no idea what the guy talks about and never watches his show on tv.

Yes Peyton did that after Simms made this statement & Peyton Was questioned on it

Phil Simms has every right to his opinion, I mean I am willing to bet he thought Chris Simms was NFL material. When it comes to any college player, you don't know, what they do in college is no guarentee they will be successful in the NFL. What you do is try and make the best decision you can with the information you have. It's no different then any draft in any pro sport. There is no such thing as a "can't miss" prospect.

Peyton has never had huge arm strength either. Luck has Peyton type attributes. Smart, changes plays at the LOS to avoid issues, Very, Very accurate, except Luck can absolutely run like the wind in the open field. Phil Simms himself had a less than average arm, so he should be praising Luck for the same successes without the rocket.

Very mobile..elite athlete....media darling

Never won anything

Its pretty spot on....noah

Gee, your right, Luck doesnt have anything to be proud of........*rolling eyes*

Awards and honors

2010 season

2009 season

• Freshman All America (The Sporting News, CollegeFootballNews.com, Scout.com)
  • Honorable Mention All Pac-10
  • First Team Pac-10 All Academic Team

Records

Pac-12 single season records

• Highest completion percentage (70.7%, 2010)

Pac-12 career records

• Most career total offense per game (273.3 yards per game) (through 9 games of 2011 season)

Stanford single season records

2010 season:

• Most touchdown passes, season (32)
  • Most total offense, season (3,791 yards)
  • Highest passing efficiency rating, season (170.2)
  • Highest completion percentage, season (70.7%)
  • Most yards per pass attempt, season (9.0)
  • Most rushing yards by a quarterback, season (453 yards)

Stanford career records (through 9 games of 2011 season)

• Highest passing efficiency rating, career (163.0)
  • Highest completion percentage, career (66.4%)
  • Most yards per pass attempt, career (9.0 yards/attempt)
  • Lowest interception percentage, career (1.8%)
  • Most rushing yards by a quarterback, career (954 yards)
  • Most wins by a starting quarterback, career (29)
  • Highest winning percentage by a starting quarterback, career (.853)

Peyton has never had huge arm strength either. Luck has Peyton type attributes. Smart, changes plays at the LOS to avoid issues, Very, Very accurate, except Luck can absolutely run like the wind in the open field. Phil Simms himself had a less than average arm, so he should be praising Luck for the same successes without the rocket.

No kidding.... and Luck sure as heck doesn't have a Lawrence Taylor-led defense handing him the ball back 2-3 extra times a game either.

Gee, your right, Luck doesnt have anything to be proud of........*rolling eyes*

Awards and honors

2010 season

• Heisman Trophy Runner Up
  • Maxwell Award Finalist
  • Walter Camp Award Finalist
  • Davey O'Brien Award Finalist
  • Manning Award Finalist
  • Second Team All America (AP, Walter Camp, SI.com, CBSSports.com)
  • Orange Bowl MVP
  • Pac-10 Offensive Player of the Year
  • First Team All Pac-10
  • Second Team Pac-10 All Academic Team
  • Pac-10 Offensive Player of the Week, Nov. 8, 2010 & Nov. 22, 2010

2009 season

• Freshman All America (The Sporting News, CollegeFootballNews.com, Scout.com)
  • Honorable Mention All Pac-10
  • First Team Pac-10 All Academic Team

Records

Pac-12 single season records

• Highest completion percentage (70.7%, 2010)

Pac-12 career records

• Most career total offense per game (273.3 yards per game) (through 9 games of 2011 season)

Stanford single season records

2010 season:

• Most touchdown passes, season (32)
  • Most total offense, season (3,791 yards)
  • Highest passing efficiency rating, season (170.2)
  • Highest completion percentage, season (70.7%)
  • Most yards per pass attempt, season (9.0)
  • Most rushing yards by a quarterback, season (453 yards)

Stanford career records (through 9 games of 2011 season)

• Highest passing efficiency rating, career (163.0)
  • Highest completion percentage, career (66.4%)
  • Most yards per pass attempt, career (9.0 yards/attempt)
  • Lowest interception percentage, career (1.8%)
  • Most rushing yards by a quarterback, career (954 yards)
  • Most wins by a starting quarterback, career (29)
  • Highest winning percentage by a starting quarterback, career (.853)

X-files....as you know....Nothing there is winning...

What about National titles..League titles..??

You're a big fan...but yo cite college awards....

Jimmy Claussen won some too