Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

McCarron says he has been disrespected; compares himself to Brady

sweetsurrender

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They didn't work to get to the NFL?

Not as hard as Brady did being the 7th QB on the depth chart at Michigan. But my overall point was not just the working part to get to the NFL but the work ethic to become one of the all time greats despite being selected in the 6th round. Brady's rise resonates with every single prospect who was told he was not good enough. I can see why McCarron mentioned him given he will not be taken high in the draft.

Not as hard as Brady did being the 7th QB on the depth chart at Michigan. But my overall point was not just the working part to get to the NFL but the work ethic to become one of the all time greats despite being selected in the 6th round. Brady's rise resonates with every single prospect who was told he was not good enough. I can see why McCarron mentioned him given he will not be taken high in the draft.

nonsense. You have no way of knowing that.

nonsense. You have no way of knowing that.

What? Pretty much everyone associated with Brady at Michigan has said his work ethic was sensational. Did you watch the Brady six? If not, watch it and listen to what the Michigan coach said about Brady. And of course that has carried through at NE as well where his coaches and teammates say the same thing.

And Mike Vick said when he got to Philly that he did not put the time in when he was Atlanta in the film room, etc. Same for Russell.

What? Pretty much everyone associated with Brady at Michigan has said his work ethic was sensational. Did you watch the Brady six? If not, watch it and listen to what the Michigan coach said about Brady. And of course that has carried through at NE as well where his coaches and teammates say the same thing.

I didn't question his work ethic did I? You saying that he worked harder to get where he is at than other players is pure nonsense. 

I didn't question his work ethic did I? You saying that he worked harder to get where he is at than other players is pure nonsense. 

What's the difference? Work ethic is defined as "a value based on hard work and diligence." And neither Vick or Russell or I would imagine the majority of NFL QBs have been 7th on the QB depth chart at a major football college like Michigan and then worked their way all the way to being the starter by their junior year.

Do you really believe all NFL players work the same? 

What's the difference? Work ethic is defined as "a value based on hard work and diligence." And neither Vick or Russell or I would imagine the majority of NFL QBs have been 7th on the QB depth chart at a major football college like Michigan and then worked their way all the way to being the starter by their junior year.

Do you really believe all NFL players work the same? 

Just because a guy worked his way up more doesn't mean that he "worked harder" than a player who was a starter because he was more talented. Brady was #7th on the depth chart because of lack of talent. 

Look at Andrew Luck for example. He was the #1 recruit out of high school and college. Just because he wasn't 7th on the depth chart doesn't mean that Brady "outworked" him. It just means that Luck was more talented and thus was put into a better position to earn a starting job. But I doubt Brady "worked harder than him". Luck was probably in the film room the majority of his free-time and throwing, working on his mechanics, ect... the same amount of time Brady was at Michigan.

If you want to say that Brady had to overcome harder circumstances than I guess I could agree to that, but saying that he "worked harder" than someone in pure unsubstantial nonsense.

Just because a guy worked his way up more doesn't mean that he "worked harder" than a player who was a starter because he was more talented. Brady was #7th on the depth chart because of lack of talent. 

Look at Andrew Luck for example. He was the #1 recruit out of high school and college. Just because he wasn't 7th on the depth chart doesn't mean that Brady "outworked" him. It just means that Luck was more talented and thus was put into a better position to earn a starting job. But I doubt Brady "worked harder than him". Luck was probably in the film room the majority of his free-time and throwing, working on his mechanics, ect... the same amount of time Brady was at Michigan.

If you want to say that Brady had to overcome harder circumstances than I guess I could agree to that, but saying that he "worked harder" than someone in pure unsubstantial nonsense.

That has been my point all along.  ;)   Brady was not as talented, at least in others view, he certainly believed he was so he had to overcome the doubters time and time again in college and the pros. That is why I think the young Qbs who are not being touted like an Andrew Luck can identify with him more. Not only was he not seen as talented and drafted low but he has had the career/success of a first pick. As I said, if I was young QB, he is the first person I would go to pick his brain.

I dont believe in Luck ( literal meaning not the player Luck :) ).

I believe whatever we get in life we deserve, good or bad ( everything has a cause and effect ).

Brady winning 3 SBs may seem lucky ( with spygate, tuck rule, coaching etc ) but he deserves it. He has done something right somewhere.

Got to respect what people have.

Both McCarron and Brady were very mediocre prospects coming out. I can see the validity in this comparison. 

The difference was, whenever Brady was inserted into the line up, he made plays vs very good competition in the Big Ten then and that caught Belichick's eye. But then, not being a starting QB was not going to earn you a high draft pick, which is what happened.

Like I said before in the previous page, two things that made things happen for Brady was "he was ready and down with the playbook when his turn came and when it came, he performed at a high level to never look back". A lot of those guys drafted as QBs before him did not do that. Either they were not ready, or underwhelmed when they got their chance, or were not available due to injury (Chad Pennington).

A.J.McCarron will probably get his day in the sun. He needs to be prepared when it comes and needs to perform at a high level when it comes.

In the NFL, you get a small window of a game or two to show a coach you "get it". I was watching the Brady 6 and how the Benson guy who was starting over Brady at Michigan got yanked after a game where he made bone headed mistakes by Parcells. Some guys drafted before Brady were not ready for the moment and some got the moment but underwhelmed. Chad Pennington was just not available and injured.

One, you need to be prepared for the moment that will come, and two, you need to seize the moment when it comes. Brady did both of it while playing behind Bledsoe. Consider the good fortune of Pats fans, that Brady sat behind Bledsoe long enough to learn the system behind him and be ready, and short enough to get the chance behind Bledsoe so that the coaches and players could get to see what he had in him.

Not sure if that kind of perfect storm will happen again. McCarron better be hoping he backs up someone like Jake Locker or someone with the Titans so that he will get a chance at some point in time. Other candidates would be Carson Palmer and Andy Dalton though I think Marvin Lewis is the kind that will go down with a sinking ship instead of seeing the iceberg right ahead :).

I actually have a weird feeling that he will get drafted by the Cardinals.

The difference was, whenever Brady was inserted into the line up, he made plays vs very good competition in the Big Ten then and that caught Belichick's eye. But then, not being a starting QB was not going to earn you a high draft pick, which is what happened.

Like I said before in the previous page, two things that made things happen for Brady was "he was ready and down with the playbook when his turn came and when it came, he performed at a high level to never look back". A lot of those guys drafted as QBs before him did not do that. Either they were not ready, or underwhelmed when they got their chance, or were not available due to injury (Chad Pennington).

A.J.McCarron will probably get his day in the sun. He needs to be prepared when it comes and needs to perform at a high level when it comes.

Actually it was NE's QB coach (who passed away 2001 season) that urged BB to draft Brady.

Brady was ok in college but didn't play much because he was behind 2 other starting QBs- Palmer& someone else- hence went in the 6th round. Also was too skinny at the time.

Actually it was NE's QB coach (who passed away 2001 season) that urged BB to draft Brady.

Brady was ok in college but didn't play much because he was behind 2 other starting QBs- Palmer& someone else- hence went in the 6th round. Also was too skinny at the time.

Late bloomer who struck while the iron and the girl was hot, lol, that is Brady :).

I mean, he was asked a question. What was he supposed to say, :

"Nah you know what man I really hate Boston and by extension clam chowder and if I get drafted in the 8th round by the Patriots Im going to hold out Eli style and try to get traded to the Houston Oilers" or something along those lines?

McCarron brought it up.

Good post, i agree with you.

Using the term "worked harder" isn't fair, its more like he had to overcome more adversity to get to where he is but the thing that guys like Manning who were 1st round picks and guys like Brady who was a 6th round pick have that allows them to succeed for 15+ years in the league is hard work and dedication to their craft.  You can tell these new kids like Luck and Wilson definitely have that work ethic as well and are doing well so early in their careers and will only continue to get better because of how hard they work.

Being drafted late in the draft might create more adversity for you to have to face on your path to becoming a successful starter, but what gets you there is the same thing that guys like Manning, Luck, Wilson, Rogers, Brees, etc have and that is a strong work ethic and the will to succeed. 

Heck, guys like Welker have it too and he wasn't drafted at all, its just about that fire that burns inside you that can't be measured at the scouting combine with a stop watch or measuring tape.

Or maybe Brady just didn't try as hard when he was in college because he was out drinking and partying and finally grew up just in time to actually try in the nfl when he realized he could make a career out of football because he was just HANDED all the tools required to be a qb in the nfl genetically.

Is this possible, yes. Is it true maybe. But Brady can never do any wrong... He's always right, he never fails, every win is because of him, and every loss is despite him, Tom Brady has never done anything wrong and never will. Peyton manning could do the wrong thing and tom could copy it and he would be right. When tom Brady doesn't watch the Super Bowl it is not because he is a sore loser, it is because he could be having marathon sex with his super model wife...this is all coming from people who post on......the colts forum

Or maybe Brady just didn't try as hard when he was in college because he was out drinking and partying and finally grew up just in time to actually try in the nfl when he realized he could make a career out of football because he was just HANDED all the tools required to be a qb in the nfl genetically.

Is this possible, yes. Is it true maybe. But Brady can never do any wrong... He's always right, he never fails, every win is because of him, and every loss is despite him, Tom Brady has never done anything wrong and never will. Peyton manning could do the wrong thing and tom could copy it and he would be right. When tom Brady doesn't watch the Super Bowl it is not because he is a sore loser, it is because he could be having marathon sex with his super model wife...this is all coming from people who post on......the colts forum

Do you have a link for your signature? I have never seen or heard Belichick ever say that about Manning. Just wondering where you got that from.

I have no idea what you are talking about as I have only been a member here a short while but I don't think any of those things about either player. 

Why would he care who respects him at the combine?  Go out and wow everyone with your throws and physical skills.  This is the time to prove he isn't a product of a stacked college team so shut up and throw.  He might not be EARNING respect because the other qb's are doing a better job at the combine.

Kurt Warner

Tony Romo

Russell Wilson

Colin K

several really good qbs that were completely overlooked that quickly come to mind.  I suppose McCarron might be thinking about his rookie wage for being a midlevel draft instead of a top 10. 

Yikes. 

Do you have a link for your signature? I have never seen or heard Belichick ever say that about Manning. Just wondering where you got that from.

I've asked that too. Don't think he does!

Anyway, interesting how this thread has developed. There's still a lot of misinformation out there about Brady's career at Michigan. He was a backup for two seasons but started every game in the 1998 and 1999 seasons. Coach Lloyd Carr, who was pressured to start the local kid Hansen, had a weird system. Brady would start, Henson would take over at some point in the first half, and then whichever QB had a stronger showing would play most of the second half. Eventually that system was scrapped.

Brady was All Big-Ten honorable mention in both of those seasons and started in two bowl game wins (Citrus in 1998, Orange Bowl in 1999). His college career is actually vastly underrated. He wasn't highly regarded at draft time because he split time with Henson, was not physically impressive (something like 210 pounds at the combine), and his measurables were poor-to-average. 

Yikes. 

I've asked that too. Don't think he does!

Anyway, interesting how this thread has developed. There's still a lot of misinformation out there about Brady's career at Michigan. He was a backup for two seasons but started every game in the 1998 and 1999 seasons. Coach Lloyd Carr, who was pressured to start the local kid Hansen, had a weird system. Brady would start, Henson would take over at some point in the first half, and then whichever QB had a stronger showing would play most of the second half. Eventually that system was scrapped.

Brady was All Big-Ten honorable mention in both of those seasons and started in two bowl game wins (Citrus in 1998, Orange Bowl in 1999). His college career is actually vastly underrated. He wasn't highly regarded at draft time because he split time with Henson, was not physically impressive (something like 210 pounds at the combine), and his measurables were poor-to-average. 

Those are good points. I remember Belichick saying the biggest question they had about Brady was the fact that Michigan had him splitting time with Henson in his senior year and Henson was a sophomore who was a bit of prodigy as he played both football and baseball and was seen as a two sport star. I always wonder what Carr must think today about his decision. On the Brady Six show he seemed like he tried to make excuses but in the end I guess he went with what he thought was best. But a two QB system game to game is about the dumbest strategy I have ever heard of especially at the college level where a senior has all the experience and of course Brady was voted captain as well.

Those are good points. I remember Belichick saying the biggest question they had about Brady was the fact that Michigan had him splitting time with Henson in his senior year and Henson was a sophomore who was a bit of prodigy as he played both football and baseball and was seen as a two sport star. I always wonder what Carr must think today about his decision. On the Brady Six show he seemed like he tried to make excuses but in the end I guess he went with what he thought was best. But a two QB system game to game is about the dumbest strategy I have ever heard of especially at the college level where a senior has all the experience and of course Brady was voted captain as well.

It's a couple years old but I remember reading this article...

http://si.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1193473/index.htm

Just an excerpt:

It was Henson, not Brady, who was considered a once-in-a-lifetime athlete. At Brighton High, 20 minutes north of Ann Arbor, Henson had set national records for home runs (70), grand slams (10) and RBIs (290), all while bringing 93-mph heat on the mound. He had also thrown 52 touchdown passes in three seasons. USA Today named him first-team All-America—as a punter.

It's a couple years old but I remember reading this article...

http://si.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1193473/index.htm

Just an excerpt:

It was Henson, not Brady, who was considered a once-in-a-lifetime athlete. At Brighton High, 20 minutes north of Ann Arbor, Henson had set national records for home runs (70), grand slams (10) and RBIs (290), all while bringing 93-mph heat on the mound. He had also thrown 52 touchdown passes in three seasons. USA Today named him first-team All-America—as a punter.

Amazing to think that Henson basically got one half of football with the Cowboys to prove he belonged and then never saw the field again. I remember him saying on the Brady six show that he should have stuck with football out of college instead of playing baseball. He said by the time he tried to get back into the NFL it was too late in terms of his development. Makes you realize how razor thin the line is between making it in the NFL and being out of the game altogether.

All this Brady love from you two made me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

Tom is so awesome.  I love his hair.  Do you think he would autograph my Ugg boots??

I'm honestly in love with Tom Brady.  I am such a crazy stalker that Tom built a moat around his house to keep me out.

All this Brady love from you two made me throw up in my mouth a little bit. I wish I had a quarterback like him to root for. 

LOL... well played.  :thmup:

I'm just trying to clear up the facts. Not really into college ball all that much. People hear things and regurgitate info until it becomes the somewhat accepted truth, regardless of its validity. Brady's college career is a good example.