Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Opinions:Possibility of Thomas moving to Center

USAFHoosier

No, He doesn't have the lower body strength to hold up vs stronger Nose Tackles and he hasn't played Center before from everything I am finding on him

A Quality backup in his 6th year who can only play guard. Not the NFL i know of.

I remember when we signed him they said he also played SOME Center for N.E. No idea how much of course.

Found this reference. http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2013/03/nfl_free_agency_2013_patriots.html

Not sure about that lower body strength but Donald has some ridiculous arms and shoulders.

You know I have Hopes, Expectations and Colts Prayers KHolmes will surprise the heck out of everyone.

And that even Austin could play better than .... everyone else did!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No way do we get Mack. I don't think he is leaving Cleveland unless we try to trade for him.

The reports I read on Asamoah he got dinged up and was playing well at that time. He was replaced by Schwartz who played really well and the continued to play Schwartz. Asamoah did not get bench do to poor play.

Why muddy up a situation that is still muddied up?

First, get Satele out, put McGlynn at center, and let Khaled Holmes get his legs underneath him first. That would be the smart thing to do.

Let the continuity grow with Castanzo, Thomas, McGlynn, Thornton and Cherilus. We have Holmes to learn behind McGlynn. Get new OG to learn behind Thomas and Thornton. Keep one of Reitz or Linkenbach to play swing tackle. That is all we need, lots and lots of continuity.

I want to cut Satele and Toler. Satele is more likely and we will prolly be stuck with Toler's gimp *

why does everyone want to cut Toler?  I get Satele, he sucked even when healthy.  I would rather get Toler healthy than cut him though.  

why does everyone want to cut Toler? I get Satele, he sucked even when healthy. I would rather get Toler healthy than cut him though.

He dosent get healthy that is the problem we need to get shields or Verner and cut him or next year it will be just like this year him on the sideline

why does everyone want to cut Toler?  I get Satele, he sucked even when healthy.  I would rather get Toler healthy than cut him though.  

Really just because it's tough to depend on him for a full season given his injury history.

He counts $5M against the cap and has a small hit (~$500K) if cut.  *IF* you could replace him with a FA that has a history of reliability (health-wise) and is just as talented for about the same money, then it's something to consider.

First, get Satele out, put McGlynn at center, and let Khaled Holmes get his legs underneath him first. That would be the smart thing to do.

Let the continuity grow with Castanzo, Thomas, McGlynn, Thornton and Cherilus. We have Holmes to learn behind McGlynn. Get new OG to learn behind Thomas and Thornton. Keep one of Reitz or Linkenbach to play swing tackle. That is all we need, lots and lots of continuity.

Yep.  That's what the plan should be.  No need to spend a bunch of cap space on OL this year.  Another modestly priced Guard would be nice in case Thomas gets hurt again.  And don't forget about Nixon.  He did okay for a backup.

Colts need more D.

why does everyone act like Holmes was a first round pick? He was taken in the 4th round. Those guys are career backups more oft than not. 

Not that many centers are taken in the first round so I have to disagree.

Dietrich Smith UDFA

de la Puente UDFA

Jonathon Goodwin 5th round

Are often mentioned here as good FA prospects.

The people who are acting like he is a 3rd or 4thrd pick watched an undrafted FA Shipley, and McGlynn, play OK (be an upgrade) for us.

There really is no reason to believe an intelligent, bulked up Holmes, in his 2nd year in the system, can`t come in and do a fine job.

If we sign one of the above, Holmes might make us a nice backup C/G. That would be just fine to have him, Nixon, and most anyone but McGlynn and Link rounding out our Line. JMO of course.

If you would please look up his career stats. We are paying him some pretty good $ as a #2 CB. For 16 games.

He played 14 games once and had a pretty good year.

I saw him play a pretty physical style and he battled hard. But his frame looks thin. He has talent and heart, but the question is, is HE the guy you pay $5M to for a Season.

Grigson bagged him Early in FA and had Most scratching their head about the deal, his history considered.

So a good question is, why are you so hung up on a guy with his history for that $$$, when their are so many reasonable options?

Are you also Glad Grigson chose Walden for that $$ out of all his options too?

For me, there is someone out there about as good as him who is more likely to be able to play a full season. And a good chance they won`t cost $5M. JMO of course.

why does everyone act like Holmes was a first round pick? He was taken in the 4th round. Those guys are career backups more oft than not.

Grigson didn't draft Holmes to be a career backup. Both he and Thornton were to be groomed into being our future starters. The fact that Satele and McGlynn are so terrible hastened expectations from fans for Thornton (but Holmes, especially) to step in immediately. From what little we saw from Holmes last year, I'd say he's at least got potential. Certainly looked more competent at guard than McGlynn did, in my opinion. But what do I know? I don't understand our staff's evaluation process at all, and I've pretty much given up even trying to

Grigson didn't draft Holmes to be a career backup. Both he and Thornton were to be groomed into being our future starters. The fact that Satele and McGlynn are so terrible hastened expectations from fans for Thornton (but Holmes, especially) to step in immediately. From what little we saw from Holmes last year, I'd say he's at least got potential. Certainly looked more competent at guard than McGlynn did, in my opinion. But what do I know? I don't understand our staff's evaluation process at all, and I've pretty much given up even trying to

Of course he didn't draft him to be a career backup. Nobody ever drafts a player to be a career back-up (usually). 

My point was that we have nothing invested in him that makes it some sort of travesty that he isn't a starter. He was a 4th round pick. If he was anything of note he probably wouldn't have been inactive almost every game last season. 

Of course he didn't draft him to be a career backup. Nobody ever drafts a player to be a career back-up (usually).

My point was that we have nothing invested in him that makes it some sort of travesty that he isn't a starter. He was a 4th round pick. If he was anything of note he probably wouldn't have been inactive almost every game last season.

See, that's where I disagree. This staff thought it was a better idea to start McGlynn over Reitz going into the season. Reitz is clearly the superior player, and 2nd best guard on the roster, regardless of his history of injuries. He should've at least started until he got hurt. My point in saying this is, this staff clearly has their favorites, and it's obvious they let that take precedence over results on the field. So I'm not gonna assume Holmes wasn't worth a lick, simply because he didn't see the field, anymore than I would assume he's better than Satele by default. Maybe he was just in the dog house with the o-line coach or Pagano, who knows?

Honestly this is the way I would go. I like Reitz better than Link though!